William Carey (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have other options, think very seriously about your future.

If you don't, get ready.

the sad thing is I learned more about what happened from that local article then I do from the school admin.

Making excuses for the school will not fix reality.

TO ALL CONSIDERING WCUCOM: IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST TO READ THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE!!!

This article is a Hattiesburg newspaper article reporting on the recent TERMINATIONS of two WCUCOM professors.

Also know that Dr. Bailey was recently nominated as TEACHER OF THE YEAR, and that both are known to be student advocates.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/a...nclick_check=1

Why are you posting this again? Because it's a new page, and guess what, it will be posted each day for a couple of weeks...

McLovinsFSARA and Member992 does not speak for the COM nor does the news article.

The faculty here at the school only know as much as the reporter in that article and things are still being worked out. For all we know, there might be other internal issues that remains confidential. However, this personnel matter will not affect the school being accredited or our overall education here at the COM. I personally did not let this affect my education as long as I study to do well in my classes and the boards.

p.s. McLovinsFSARA andMember992 need to focus more on studying for their boards or get a life instead of trying to bash the school that is giving them their degree.

I agree. The article only gives us one side of the story..that of the disgruntled employees.

What are we as the entering class supposed to think about this? This is our future. I would really like to attend WCU, but not at the expense of an accredited education.

The accredited education is a non issue! No DO schools that have admitted students have failed to get accreditation.

This action by the WCU-COM administration is disturbing. Both of these men were fine professors and educators. They did nothing, as far the medical students could see, that deserved this action.

The accredited education is a non issue! No DO schools that have admitted students have failed to get accreditation.

This action by the WCU-COM administration is disturbing. Both of these men were fine professors and educators. They did nothing, as far the medical students could see, that deserved this action.

Spoke to Dr. Weir today, he assured me that the school is on course to be accredited. Faculty members went to Chicago this weekend to present to COCA, and it was a positive visit.

While we are all upset at the firings of these professors, there is no concern about accreditation of WCUCOM.

Regardless of what current students are doing, any applicant in their right mind would give pause before committing themselves to an institution where things are so uncertain.

Texas Guy, the last time I checked WE ARE EARNING THIS DEGREE, maybe they are giving it to you for being such a good pawn :)

Last edited:
Any idea on how long it takes to hear back about an acceptance from WCU after interviewing?

Regardless of what current students are doing, any applicant in their right mind would give pause before committing themselves to an institution where things are so uncertain.

Texas Guy, the last time I checked WE ARE EARNING THIS DEGREE, maybe they are giving it to you for being such a good pawn :)

calling people names is not going to help you pass your boards.

Of course you have to earn your degree but there has to be an institution to grant it to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea on how long it takes to hear back about an acceptance from WCU after interviewing?

When did you interview? If you are concern, just give the school a call. Ms. Day or Bennett is more than willing to give you a timeframe. good luck! :xf:

calling people names is not going to help you pass your boards.

Of course you have to earn your degree but there has to be an institution to grant it to you.

About name calling: I only spoke the truth. You should try it sometime.

Here's a question for you. This question could easily be one that is being asked in the minds of potential applicants:

Lets say you had the option of attending one of two schools one being established and one being WCUCOM. Lets give them equal general pros and cons. But then you hear about:

1.) the current termination scandal,
2.) the pass percentage of 71-72%,
3.) recent resignation of the head of 3rd and 4th year rotations,
4.) the negative comments on here which mostly have been fact checked

What would you do?

You have already interviewed and only talked to Welcoming Committee.

I don't expect you to answer this truthfully, because then you would not be fulfilling your role as a WCUCOM sugar-coater

Last edited:
McLovinsFSARA and Member992 does not speak for the COM nor does the news article.

The faculty here at the school only know as much as the reporter in that article and things are still being worked out. For all we know, there might be other internal issues that remains confidential. However, this personnel matter will not affect the school being accredited or our overall education here at the COM. I personally did not let this affect my education as long as I study to do well in my classes and the boards.

p.s. McLovinsFSARA andMember992 need to focus more on studying for their boards or get a life instead of trying to bash the school that is giving them their degree.

I have decided to give up my seat here at WCUCOM. With everything that's happened and from all the things I've been told, I'm beginning to believe that this may not be the right school for me. I want to thank all the people who've posted in this thread as their advices have helped me tremendously in making this decision. And Texasguy, i appreciate all the advice you've given on this thread. But this forum is built upon students freely sharing and helping each other. Obviously there's bound to be differences of opinion. Telling others to get a life is a little extreme. The bigger man takes the high road. Best of luck to everyone else applying.

About name calling: I only spoke the truth. You should try it sometime.

Here's a question for you. This question could easily be one that is being asked in the minds of potential applicants:

Lets say you had the option of attending one of two schools one being established and one being WCUCOM. Lets give them equal general pros and cons. But then you hear about:

1.) the current termination scandal,
2.) the pass percentage of 71-72%,
3.) recent resignation of the head of 3rd and 4th year rotations,
4.) the negative comments on here which mostly have been fact checked

What would you do?

You have already interviewed and only talked to Welcoming Committee.

I don't expect you to answer this truthfully, because then you would not be fulfilling your role as a WCUCOM sugar-coater

Just because somebody disagrees with you does not make a them a sugarcoater any more than your griping makes you a whining malcontent! Please note, I am making a comparison here.

I do concede that the actions of President of this University and the Dean do concern me greatly!

Last edited:
With the two professors being let go, Is there a replacement? Is the replacement have better credential?

Nor does TexasGuy2010, what’s your point?

The faculty here at the school only know as much as the reporter in that article and things are still being worked out.
And exactly how is this a positive? If even the faculty knows nothing, how do you know that things are still being worked out? From what I can see 2 guys were wrongfully terminated, and the school knows this; thus explains their refusal to even address what happened to the students & faculty & also why they’re trying to bury this story.

For all we know, there might be other internal issues that remains confidential. However, this personnel matter will not affect the school being accredited or our overall education here at the COM.
The chair of Biochem & an Anatomy/Physiology professor just got fired. This definitely won’t affect your education or anyone else's at this school.

I personally did not let this affect my education as long as I study to do well in my classes and the boards.
Look that’s great that you feel this way. Even if you care little for those 2 guys, know that WCUCOM lost 2 of the very best professors. Unlike you, most of the students/faculty were stunned by this decision.

This school has given me nothing, and has taken so much.

With the two professors being let go, Is there a replacement? Is the replacement have better credential?
They have not announced any plans for who will replace those 2 yet. Finding someone w/ similar or better credentials will be difficult.
http://hattiesburg.wdam.com/news/schools/49708-wcucom-professor-finalist-educator-year

TO ALL CONSIDERING WCUCOM: IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST TO READ THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE!!!

This article is a Hattiesburg newspaper article reporting on the recent TERMINATIONS of two WCUCOM professors.

Also know that Dr. Bailey was recently nominated as TEACHER OF THE YEAR, and that both are known to be student advocates.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312030009

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312030009

This issue is being addressed. We get your point of posting this 100 times a day. Please, stop. WCUCOM is on track for accreditation. I'm part of the welcoming committee...do I have concerns? Yes. Do I agree with TexasGuy2010's way of voicing opinions? No.

To those applying, you are better off emailing Dr. Weir or Dr. Jim Turner to voice any questions or concerns than going to a local town newspaper.

Good luck everyone!

We brought this concern to Dr. Weir, and he said they were recruiting, and that there are professors that are there already to step in to teach.

I don't necessarily agree with the decisions about these two professors, both of whom I really like. So yes, we are all concerned about recent events, but we are telling you everything we know. More to come.

It's being addressed, but it still occurred PERIOD. Accredited or not, I know many students that WOULD NOT HAVE COME HERE KNOWING HOW THIS PLACE WORKS. The problem is not only with WCUCOM administration but goes higher to the president of WCU, Dr. King. Too much restructuring and replacing would have to occur to really fix the problem. As long as King and outsiders stick their nose in this school thinking that they know what medical education is supposed to look like, this place is doomed.

It's being addressed, but it still occurred PERIOD. Accredited or not, I know many students that WOULD NOT HAVE COME HERE KNOWING HOW THIS PLACE WORKS. The problem is not only with WCUCOM administration but goes higher to the president of WCU, Dr. King. Too much restructuring and replacing would have to occur to really fix the problem. As long as King and outsiders stick their nose in this school thinking that they know what medical education is supposed to look like, this place is doomed.

I will not this far yet!!!! I guess I have more faith in the COM administration than you do.

BUT I do agree that Dr. King trying to run the COM is the MAIN PROBLEM!!!

I guess COCA is going to have to tell Dr King straight up the leave the COM alone if they want it to be accredited. Maybe he can understand that.

We brought this concern to Dr. Weir, and he said they were recruiting, and that there are professors that are there already to step in to teach.

I don't necessarily agree with the decisions about these two professors, both of whom I really like. So yes, we are all concerned about recent events, but we are telling you everything we know. More to come.

I will not stop posting this article as long as it is available.

As we all know there must be a checks and balances in every aspect in life.

If there is not two sides, the truth cannot be approached.

It's like a car with a gas pedal but no brakes, an analogy that actually fits this institution.

Until this institution comes CLEAN, ALL POTENTIAL STUDENTS THAT VIEW THIS BOARD WILL HAVE A CHANCE TO VIEW THE TRUTH AS WE KNOW IT.

From my understanding so far, COM is run by the president, Dr. King, and not by Dr. Lovins. Anyone who speak out for improvement get turn down or terminated.

For the majority of us here at WCUCOM, we are having an extremely positive experience. No matter where you choose to go to medical school, whether MD, DO, or Caribbean, there will be stresses and things you must overcome both personally and professionally. It is foolish to go through life expecting everything to be perfect. While WCUCOM has their issues that are being resolved, the greatest thing about the school is the community of students, faculty, and administration that give you support and encourage you to succeed. This does not mean that we don't have to work hard. This does not mean that they are all perfect, after all, we are all human.

When you are deciding where to go to medical school, the most important thing is to choose a place where you feel that you can succeed. Yes, professors have been fired, but this isn't necessarily a negative thing. The accrediting body of medical schools (COCA) is ensuring that EVERYTHING done at this school is done with a specific purpose, in order to provide the best education to its students and to continue on the course for full accreditation. No matter where you go to medical school, you are going to have to work hard for yourself and push yourself to achieve your goals.

From my understanding so far, COM is run by the president, Dr. King, and not by Dr. Lovins. Anyone who speak out for improvement get turn down or terminated.

just an update, the SGA president is sitting down with Dr. King tomorrow, per Dr. King's idea, to discuss recent events.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/a...=2012312030009

Exactly! Anyone ever find it interesting that, Dr. Murphy's contract (the founding dean) was surprisingly not renewed only a year after the school opened? There were disagreements between him & King on the direction the school should be heading. Ever wonder why there’s an attendance policy at all to begin with? The university has an attendance policy & Dr. King wants to keep the medical school an extension of the university. This is the reason why a proposal last year to reduce the 80% attendance policy to 70% brought forth by the SGA (student government) was outright denied despite the fact that it passed the student body vote w/ ~95% approval.

Last edited:

Thank you for taking the time for researching and posting the link regarding dismissing professors. Most of these universities are established. But WCUCOM is a different level compare to these universities. To outright firing two good professors without a backup plan is a very big concern.

Thank you for taking the time for researching and posting the link regarding dismissing professors. Most of these universities are established. But WCUCOM is a different level compare to these universities. To outright firing two good professors without a backup plan is a very big concern.

"without a backup plan" is not true. We had a meeting with Dr. Turner, who has served on COCA for many many years, and Dr. Weir. Both of them said there were professors to teach, and assured us they were in the process of going through even more CVs, resumes, etc. to hire more professors.

Straight from Dr. Turner "They are fine gentlemen, and very good educators. The firing had nothing to do with either of those."

The accrediting body of medical schools (COCA) is ensuring that EVERYTHING done at this school is done with a specific purpose, in order to provide the best education to its students and to continue on the course for full accreditation.

This is not completely true. There are COCA requirements & COCA recommendations. A lot of the complaints from the student body [to COCA] are listed under recommendations. COCA has recommendations in place so that the school has leeway to leave its own footprint. This explains why some things still haven't changed, which is part of the reason WCUCOM is still such a mess.

"without a backup plan" is not true. We had a meeting with Dr. Turner, who has served on COCA for many many years, and Dr. Weir. Both of them said there were professors to teach, and assured us they were in the process of going through even more CVs, resumes, etc. to hire more professors.

Straight from Dr. Turner "They are fine gentlemen, and very good educators. The firing had nothing to do with either of those."

This is only my point of view; it is very impulsive to terminate a professor when the semester is not even over. There is only a few weeks left before Winter Break. A question arises to me, who WCUCOM are more focus on. This is my last time mentioned on WCUCOM page. Deposit is due next week for me.

After considering the recent issues at the school, I have decided to withdraw from my interview (1/11). Best of luck to everyone! The one thing I can say is that all of the current students I have spoken with so far from here seem so friendly and nice. I just don't see myself going here.

After considering the recent issues at the school, I have decided to withdraw from my interview (1/11). Best of luck to everyone! The one thing I can say is that all of the current students I have spoken with so far from here seem so friendly and nice. I just don't see myself going here.

Sorry to hear that. I can definitely see myself here and I'm more than happy to attend. I didn't get into my other state school and WCUCOM let's me stay in MS. It also allows me to keep my scholarship, so there's that...

As far as the "scandal", I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I've been informed and made a decision. Thanks for sharing the info.

@Member992 Your outrage is becoming more a childish annoyance at this point. I have read the article and truly think initially you were trying to inform students of a serious issue at this school. Now it seems more like you have a serious personality quirk that has manifested itself, a compulsion if you will. The school no doubt has some issues, not unlike allot of major institutions, and you shedding light on these issues is admirable if for altruistic reasons. However, your reasons seem more self serving at this point.

I appreciate the information given about the school issues, I now feel better informed. I understand the withdrawl of individuals from interviews and admittance (if even true).
I have personally visited with Dr. Weir and he has assured that the school is on track. I would wade through Hell to fight a chainsaw for a chance to interview at WCU-COM. I am confident that there are issues with many of the individuals applying to this school, Lord knows I have my share of issues. I refuse to sit back and condemn a school who is flawed, when I have plenty of my own flaws. I look forward to saying goodbye to Oklahoma and hello to Mississippi. I look forward to growing together with WCU-COM.
I say all that to say this.....Thanks for leaving......More space for me! :}

I appreciate the information given about the school issues, I now feel better informed. I understand the withdrawl of individuals from interviews and admittance (if even true).
I have personally visited with Dr. Weir and he has assured that the school is on track. I would wade through Hell to fight a chainsaw for a chance to interview at WCU-COM. I am confident that there are issues with many of the individuals applying to this school, Lord knows I have my share of issues. I refuse to sit back and condemn a school who is flawed, when I have plenty of my own flaws. I look forward to saying goodbye to Oklahoma and hello to Mississippi. I look forward to growing together with WCU-COM.
I say all that to say this.....Thanks for leaving......More space for me! :}
I completely agree, and if I didn't have another acceptance, I would definitely consider going to the interview. I'm sure you'll still be just as successful!

I posted on this because I had overheard it was a hot issue.

As a current student at this school, I can only offer any prospective applicants this. Only you can decide where and when you get your medical education. If you are accepted here, go for it! The school will be accredited, there is vastly too much money involved now for that to fail.

If you are a picky about what so-called perfect school you want to go to, make sure you have great stats, otherwise, apply to as many places you can and should you get acceptances, go where you think you'll fit in the best. My bet is that your stats aren't perfect or you wouldn't even be on this forum to start with.

Don't let SDN or anyone else convince you of how to handle your future. Looking at this from both sides of the acceptance, I can say with the amount of studying and time spent with school, I really don't know how people have time to get on here as medical students and bash their school, another school, and anything else. If you spent that same time studying and trying to master different topics, maybe things would be different. Let us face it, very few are happy in medical school, there is a lot of information in a short amount of time and that is repeated over and over and over and over. It is tough, much tougher than I had anticipated. If you choose to settle for mediocrity, that's what you'll get. Medical school is hard, you have to study much more than you can imagine, and hopefully enough of it will stick that you'll build a foundation strong enough to withstand your residency and career.

I don't want to sound self-righteous, but complaining about something vastly out of your control and then attempting to fix the problem when you've got all your block exams coming up, and a year from now you'll not even remember any of this, isn't productive use of your time in my opinion. Spend that time doing what you came here to do, learn! Don't sacrifice your future in pursuit of "saving" someone who has already had a wonderful career. Trust me, there will be little gained in this pursuit. There is no happy ending to this situation. If, a big if, they even came back, they wouldn't like it.

I'll close with this, Dr. B is a wonderful man, great teacher, and student ally. There are few teachers that have his gift, but after all this is academia, and you have to watch your move at all times in that environment. He didn't deserve the punishment, but unfortunately the sentence has already been cast. If he's the type of man I know he is, he'll move on and hope that we move on. It seems some aren't ready to do that. I can't speak of the other professor, as I hadn't had him in lecture.

I hope this gives any future applicants an objective insight into the current situation at WCUCOM. I don't think there are any discrepancies in course material. It is there and sure we have to sift through some long-winded lectures, but if you want to learn medicine, it is being taught here. Overall, I'm happy, I like most of the faculty and most importantly, I was able to pursue a career in medicine in my home stateThat's pretty awesome if you ask me.

And as far as that stats for the fist year class, they are paving the way for you and I, they had much against them the first two years while the school was attempting to tweak the curricula. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot, is it fair and enough to prepare to pass the boards and become a physician at this point? Absolutely.

Good day.

Was accepted back November 12th but declined and attending a different school. Good luck to all hope someone deserving gets that spot

Gonna accept WCUCOM over UMC and an out of state allo and osteo school. Liked the campus a lot, new facilities, the students were great on my interview, very informative and had only positive things to say about the school. Although I am the type who goes to every class, I still am not thrilled about the mandatory attendance just in case I needed to stay home and study a little extra but in the grand scheme of things I am here to learn. So its not too bad i guess. If you are unable to pass due to the attendance rule then you probably aren't cut out for the profession. The faculty are very well educated which i like and are very helpful and friendly.

@Member992 Your outrage is becoming more a childish annoyance at this point. I have read the article and truly think initially you were trying to inform students of a serious issue at this school. Now it seems more like you have a serious personality quirk that has manifested itself, a compulsion if you will. The school no doubt has some issues, not unlike allot of major institutions, and you shedding light on these issues is admirable if for altruistic reasons. However, your reasons seem more self serving at this point.

Since you are posing as a psychologist, tell me, what are my intentions?

Now let us discuss your motives. If you feel that I am acting like a child or have a diagnosable mental disease, then maybe you don't understand much about human psychology. Making personal assessments (accurate or not) and insulting someone will only fuel the need for retaliation. In other words your assumed goal of reducing the compulsive behavior/ childishness will not be reached. Therefore, you must have had intentions of causing embarrassment or the questioning of my credibility.

I personally think, however, that you just failed to think before you posted. For that I will have to call you IMPULSIVE. The beauty of typing your thoughts is the ability to analyze and rethink what you are trying to communicate.

Gonna accept WCUCOM over UMC and an out of state allo and osteo school. Liked the campus a lot, new facilities, the students were great on my interview, very informative and had only positive things to say about the school. Although I am the type who goes to every class, I still am not thrilled about the mandatory attendance just in case I needed to stay home and study a little extra but in the grand scheme of things I am here to learn. So its not too bad i guess. If you are unable to pass due to the attendance rule then you probably aren't cut out for the profession. The faculty are very well educated which i like and are very helpful and friendly.

Yay! Congrats! (the 20% allowance on attendance lets you get that time to stay home and study, like you are wanting. I definitely use all of it :) )

Let us know if you need any help!

I submitted my deposit and received a receipt for it. Should I expect any pre-matriculation information soon? Or should I just sit tight and wait until next summer?

Also, any advice on what to do for the next several months? I've had plenty of vacation/rest and I am bored to death just waiting.

See you guys next fall!

I submitted my deposit and received a receipt for it. Should I expect any pre-matriculation information soon? Or should I just sit tight and wait until next summer?

Also, any advice on what to do for the next several months? I've had plenty of vacation/rest and I am bored to death just waiting.

See you guys next fall!

At the end of the Spring you will receive matriculation packets! Go travel, work, do anything but study! :) Congratulations!!