2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

None

LOR Reqs

• If your college has a premedical advisory committee, a letter of evaluation from the committee is preferred and will fulfill all undergraduate letter requirements. A committee letter does not require the names of individual letter writers.
  • If your college does not have a premedical committee, letters of evaluation from three undergraduate professors including at least two from science courses (biology, chemistry, physics, biomedical engineering or bioengineering) are required. Math is not considered a science for purposes of letters of evaluation. The letters of evaluation must come from faculty who have taught you in class or have supervised independent research for which you have received credit toward your science GPA.
  • One letter of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored (as identified in your AMCAS application), whether science or non-science.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
let's get this party started! secondary will be online, not sure when it opens. good luck y'all! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
the no essays is the only reason i applied here ahah...this is literally like my extreme last choice of schools, id almost rather reappply then go here. Lets hope it doesnt come down to that :(.

out of curiosity... why?

Just dont want to go there, I have a friend there and hes miserable, he just hates it there. Personally I just dont want to be there, but who knows maybe ill go visit and i wont find it as bad?

yeah, i guess i'm trying to reserve judgment on all my schools until i go visit.

definitely not my first choice. But still I have applied.

haha, confidential to NYMC: add an essay to your secondary if you don't want SDNers applying to your school with no intention of matriculating

you guys are so funny.

What's with all the hate on here, guys? I could understand why its not a #1 among more competitive applicants, but no need to make it sound like going there would be to suffer a fate worse than death. I liked my interview experience at NYMC...

And FWIW, the students who do well match well. NYMC has a decent match list.

What's with all the hate on here, guys? I could understand why its not a #1 among more competitive applicants, but no need to make it sound like going there would be to suffer a fate worse than death. I liked my interview experience at NYMC...

And FWIW, the students who do well match well. NYMC has a decent match list.

i agree with this - i wouldnt mind going to NYMC if I had to

Members don't see this ad :)
and they get decent board scores right

100% pass rate for at least last year (not sure if this holds true for the few years prior but definitely over 97% in the three years prior). That's all I've heard mentioned of their board scores -- no averages or anything. Students I've spoken with said NYMC does a great job of preparing thier students for Step 1 and found the school's "mini-boards" really helpful.

Also, their supposed merging with Touro concerns me. NYMC is probably the least regarded medical school in New York, IMO.

well NY is also one of the more prestigious states.

does anyone know how the location of NYMC is? Or how accessible it is to rotate in NYC?

well NY is also one of the more prestigious states.

does anyone know how the location of NYMC is? Or how accessible it is to rotate in NYC?

School itself is in the Westchester area, which doesn't have a whole lot going on but isn't too far away from the city (30 min drive? I guess??). Clinical rotations are available in the city at St. Vincent's Hospital and are delegated through a lottery system (since there are several affiliated hospitals) but most students get what they want and if you want 3rd/4th year in the city you definitely can.

jeez Elijah05, with a 29Q MCAT you would be lucky to get accepted anywhere, let alone NYMC. maybe you should consider applying to some DO schools.

the no essays is the only reason i applied here ahah...this is literally like my extreme last choice of schools, id almost rather reappply then go here. Lets hope it doesnt come down to that :(.

jeez Elijah05, with a 29Q MCAT you would be lucky to get accepted anywhere, let alone NYMC. maybe you should consider applying to some DO schools.

He has a special case, I believe. Non-trad situation.

wow. that's kind of unwarranted meanness. i'm pretty sure someone who posts as often and as wisely as Elijah is well aware of where he stands and is well prepared for this cycle. calm down, hater. :rolleyes:

wow. that's kind of unwarranted meanness. i'm pretty sure someone who posts as often and as wisely as Elijah is well aware of where he stands and is well prepared for this cycle. calm down, hater. :rolleyes:

Im quitting applying to med school until I get a 38 mcat. Even then i probably wont get in...oh well. Im going into construction thanks everyone :). Thats where i belong

Last edited:

This is ridiculous. If you understood statistics you would realize that, if the average MCAT score of an accepted applicant is a 31, there are thousands and thousands of applicants with 28-30 scores that are accepted. Check the aamc website for raw numbers on that.

Good luck Elijah. Your profile looks great!:thumbup:

some of you guys are sounding pretty cocky here. Sure you can try to justify your mediocre mcat scores/gpa and think that you will get in because you are a "special" applicant with well rounded extracurricular activities and such. But so are all the other applicants. Your acceptances will boil down to your numbers most of the time because that is how you get interviews. I knew a kid with a 38 mcat who didn't get in anywhere until he switched his residency from cali to missouri on his 3rd try. Also, my buddy with a 34MCAT and >3.7 GPA from a very prestigious undergrad was going to attend NYMC until he got off the waitlist from UC Irvine. So don't be shocked when you realize how humbling this application experience really is.

Last edited:
some of you guys are sounding pretty cocky here. Sure you can try to justify your mediocre mcat scores/gpa and think that you will get in because you are a "special" applicant with well rounded extracurricular activities and such. But so are all the other applicants. Your acceptances will boil down to your numbers most of the time because that is how you get interviews. I knew a kid with a 38 mcat who didn't get in anywhere until he switched his residency from cali to missouri on his 3rd try. Also, my buddy with a 34MCAT and >3.7 GPA from a very prestigious undergrad was going to attend NYMC until he got off the waitlist from UC Irvine. So don't be shocked when you realize how humbling this application experience really is.

But people with mediocre stats get into good schools all the time. It just goes to show you that numbers are not everything. Good numbers do not necessarily get you in, and mediocre numbers don't necessarily keep you out..... In your friend's cases w/ a 34/3.7 and 38, I would assume it had to do with other factors in the application process, b/c those numbers are good enough for Harvard

But people with mediocre stats get into good schools all the time. It just goes to show you that numbers are not everything. Good numbers do not necessarily get you in, and mediocre numbers don't necessarily keep you out..... In your friend's cases w/ a 34/3.7 and 38, I would assume it had to do with other factors in the application process, b/c those numbers are good enough for Harvard

Enough with the GPA/MCAT wars people. We are all well informed SDNers who know various sides to the issue. :beat:Please stop.

this is my #1 choice! are you listening adcom!

hey guys...is the NYMC Secondary out yet?? or have any of you guys received it yet? if it is...where could i find it??

just a quick question...if anyone's been to the campus, can you tell me how it is? nymc is my #1 and i've wanted to go here for years! thanks!

Has anyone heard anything about the secondary? I haven't gotten any correspondence from NYMC yet...

Nothing as of yet but it should be here soon I wouldnt worry. Theres no secondary essays and its a fairly quick and easy one to submit. I wouldnt worry too much.

Im quitting applying to med school until I get a 38 mcat. Even then i probably wont get in...oh well. Im going into construction thanks everyone :). Thats where i belong
Well, I have a 38 MCAT, non-trad, and I don't think NYMC will be a shoo-in at all. The med school application process is really a crapshoot unless you truly have amazing stats and ECs all around. But most of us all have some weaknesses in our applications.

Last edited:
Got mine today! Easiest secondary ever.

it would be nice to have a no-essay secondary :)

this is probably the only one i can handle before this weekend ;)

For those of you that have received a secondary can you please post the prompt along with the character/word limit? Thank you for your help!

For those of you that have received a secondary can you please post the prompt along with the character/word limit? Thank you for your help!

Read above. No essays.

Don't worry, no NY love for me either yet. I'm sure we'll get it soon:)
yah im not worried lol. It only takes like 5 mins to fill out as long as its here within the next few weeks i dont care. I just think to how MCW sent out my secondary, but i never received it :(

yah im not worried lol. It only takes like 5 mins to fill out as long as its here within the next few weeks i dont care. I just think to how MCW sent out my secondary, but i never received it :(

oh no! did it go to your junk email or something?

oh no! did it go to your junk email or something?
No it was the weirdest thing...since med school apps started i seriously check my email like 10 times a day lol. It never went to junk...or anything I just never got it, period. They sent it on 6/29 and I called them on like 7/10 asking what was going on, they said they didnt know and sent it to me on 7/10. I received it right after my phone call with them.

I just called and they said they only test about 25 applicants (only sent it to 25 ppl) and there was an error or something. He said the rest of us would receive it next week..........

No it was the weirdest thing...since med school apps started i seriously check my email like 10 times a day lol. It never went to junk...or anything I just never got it, period. They sent it on 6/29 and I called them on like 7/10 asking what was going on, they said they didnt know and sent it to me on 7/10. I received it right after my phone call with them.

That is really strange...and kind of scary! What if an interview invite or acceptance email got lost in cyberspace??:eek:

That is really strange...and kind of scary! What if an interview invite or acceptance email got lost in cyberspace??:eek:
i didnt really think about it, but now you have given me another reason to freak out!!!!:scared::scared::scared::laugh:

Oh, I see. Then wait till next week, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.