-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 Charles Drew University/UCLA Application Thread
Started by PsychEpathic
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
still waiting for Drew and UCLA too....
I really love the Drew program.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Drew is definitely my top choice. How are the first two years? Are you getting clinical exposure? Are there opportunities to get involved with student-run clinics?It may be a while until they send out secondaries, but I thought it would be nice to get this thread going anyway. Good luck to everyone applying!
Drew is definitely my top choice. How are the first two years? Are you getting clinical exposure? Are there opportunities to get involved with student-run clinics?
We just completed week 1 at Geffen. The first two years are at the UCLA campus and years 3 and 4 will be at CDU sites. We have all the opportunities available to Geffen students plus anything else Drew offers us. It is amazing to be associated with CDU.
Hello!
So I accidentally signed up for this school instead of UCLA David Geffen on my primary app. Yet, the more I look into it, the more awesome this program seems.
Is the UCLA/DREW program in the MSAR? I just checked through it again, but nope, couldn't find it in the book. Did I somehow miss it?
Is there any cons to applying both here and to UCLA David Geffen? It's my understanding that they both seem like great schools, just with an emphasis on servicing the underserved for DREW.
Thanks for your help! 🙂
So I accidentally signed up for this school instead of UCLA David Geffen on my primary app. Yet, the more I look into it, the more awesome this program seems.
Is the UCLA/DREW program in the MSAR? I just checked through it again, but nope, couldn't find it in the book. Did I somehow miss it?
Is there any cons to applying both here and to UCLA David Geffen? It's my understanding that they both seem like great schools, just with an emphasis on servicing the underserved for DREW.
Thanks for your help! 🙂
Hello!
So I accidentally signed up for this school instead of UCLA David Geffen on my primary app. Yet, the more I look into it, the more awesome this program seems.
Is the UCLA/DREW program in the MSAR? I just checked through it again, but nope, couldn't find it in the book. Did I somehow miss it?
Is there any cons to applying both here and to UCLA David Geffen? It's my understanding that they both seem like great schools, just with an emphasis on servicing the underserved for DREW.
Thanks for your help! 🙂
From what I understand, there is no disadvantage to applying to both institutions. And to answer your first question, there is not a specific section dedicated to the Drew/UCLA program in the MSAR. However, it is mentioned briefly in the UCLA section.
Drew IS an awesome program and I think you committed a very fortunate accident. Good luck!
Would you mind please posting the secondary questions?
Thanks!
Thanks!
Just got the the secondary today. Estaban how are you liking school so far.
Just got the the secondary today. Estaban how are you liking school so far.
Would you mind posting the secondary questions? I'd love to begin working on them too! 😀
Just got this:
"Hello Applicant,
Thank you for your interest in Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science. We have received your application and your file will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee within 4 - 6 weeks.
Thanks,
Admissions Office
CDU/UCLA Medical Education Program"
It's... coming...
"Hello Applicant,
Thank you for your interest in Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science. We have received your application and your file will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee within 4 - 6 weeks.
Thanks,
Admissions Office
CDU/UCLA Medical Education Program"
It's... coming...
Sorry for the delay folks. I am not sure what the policy is so I am hesitant to post it. If someone knows otherwise let me know.Would you mind posting the secondary questions? I'd love to begin working on them too! 😀
Verified on 8/26 secondary awarded 8/30 yay 🙂 1 step closer to the interview
I was told that the secondaries are mailed out via postal service. True?
I was told that the secondaries are mailed out via postal service. True?
i don't think so... i received mine via email.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do you know if they screen in/out applicants? i'm wondering b/c i got a secondary but do they give one to all applicants or are we screened in?
thanks
I'm pretty sure its a fairly selective screen.
Just got this:
"Hello Applicant,
Thank you for your interest in Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science. We have received your application and your file will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee within 4 - 6 weeks.
Thanks,
Admissions Office
CDU/UCLA Medical Education Program"
It's... coming...
I got the same email... 4 weeks ago. I'm still waiting on secondaries from Drew, Toledo, and VTC. Drew is my #1 choice fo sho.
Can someone post the secondary questions please? Thank you!! 🙂
Here you go! This one is pretty long. 🙁 The questions do not start at one since questions 1 and 2 are about completing prerequisites and listing them.
3. Have you experienced any uneven performance in grades and academic achievement? If so please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)
4. If you are currently not a full time student please list and describe your current activities. (Response limited to 800 characters)
5. Describe the role you play in your immediate family. (Response limited to 800 characters)
6. Describe your community and socioeconomic environment? (Response limited to 800 characters)
7. List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years.
Dates Activity Hours/Week
8. Describe how your experience, your community, and family background impact your understanding of the underserved communities? (Response limited to 800 characters)
9. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them? (Response limited to 800 characters)
10. Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles R. Drew University? (Response limited to 800 characters)
11. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)
12. In the remaining space, provide any additional information which will give the Admissions Committee greater insight about you as an applicant. (Response limited to 800 characters)
13. How did you hear about our program? (Response limited to 800 characters)
I forgot to add my information just in case it helps those in need.
These were my stats and dates:
IS, 3.88 postbac GPA, 3.2 cum, 31Q (11VS 11PS 09BS).
AMCAS Complete: Aug 5th
Primary Received Email: Aug 17th
Secondary Received: September 3rd
It took me almost about a month for them to give me a secondary. Two weeks to let me know they received the primary and were reviewing and another two for secondary to go out.
Good luck to everyone!
These were my stats and dates:
IS, 3.88 postbac GPA, 3.2 cum, 31Q (11VS 11PS 09BS).
AMCAS Complete: Aug 5th
Primary Received Email: Aug 17th
Secondary Received: September 3rd
It took me almost about a month for them to give me a secondary. Two weeks to let me know they received the primary and were reviewing and another two for secondary to go out.
Good luck to everyone!
I forgot to add my information just in case it helps those in need.
These were my stats and dates:
IS, 3.88 postbac GPA, 3.2 cum, 31Q (11VS 11PS 09BS).
AMCAS Complete: Aug 5th
Primary Received Email: Aug 17th
Secondary Received: September 3rd
It took me almost about a month for them to give me a secondary. Two weeks to let me know they received the primary and were reviewing and another two for secondary to go out.
Good luck to everyone!
You are a good man Person X. I was going to do this but forgot.
Secondary Received: Sept. 3, 2011 roughly (early Sept. too lazy to check)
Application Complete: Sept. 10, 2011 roughly (Checked STATUS page, yes there is one...bit hard to find initially)
GPA: ~3.8 (Very strong upward trend)
MCAT: XX (Sorry, confidentiality is important to me)
One thing to watch out for: Weird formatting errors. It drove me nuts. I was tempted to just re-make the entire document on Word.
*EDIT: I am IS.
Last edited:
Mipp0,
Got to do the same for others. These forums have been very helpful throughout my time as a non-trad applicant and pre-med. You are right the app status link is hard to find, but here it is as well.
http://www.cdrewu.edu/admissions/ApplicationStatus
Person X
Got to do the same for others. These forums have been very helpful throughout my time as a non-trad applicant and pre-med. You are right the app status link is hard to find, but here it is as well.
http://www.cdrewu.edu/admissions/ApplicationStatus
Person X
Mipp0,
Got to do the same for others. These forums have been very helpful throughout my time as a non-trad applicant and pre-med. You are right the app status link is hard to find, but here it is as well.
http://www.cdrewu.edu/admissions/ApplicationStatus
Person X
is there even a timeline for when interviews go out?
is there even a timeline for when interviews go out?
Based on last year's thread, first interview invites were out in early October and continued well into March (I could be mistaken, but I believe this is correct).
There were interviews in early/mid December as well. No tours with interviews however.
My status says:
"Secondary Application Reviewed - Complete"
Does this mean my application has been looked at? Is this a hold? Or did it say this as soon as my file was complete?
That means you're good. Now we wait 😎
Mipp0,
Got to do the same for others. These forums have been very helpful throughout my time as a non-trad applicant and pre-med. You are right the app status link is hard to find, but here it is as well.
http://www.cdrewu.edu/admissions/ApplicationStatus
Person X
You would be a great fit at CDU/UCLA

What a good guy.
You would be a great fit at CDU/UCLA
What a good guy.
Wait wait wait wait waiting on a secondary...please? 🙂
(FYI, I'm two weeks into the 4-6 week waiting period)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys just thought you all should know that they have started sending out interview invites. I received an invite this past Thursday so hopefully you guys will be hearing something soon too! 
P.S. - I am OOS and my stats are nothing stellar. I was complete on 9/23 and received an invite on 9/29

P.S. - I am OOS and my stats are nothing stellar. I was complete on 9/23 and received an invite on 9/29
No secondary yet, 7 weeks since the "4 to 6 weeks" notification. Given how the rest of the cycle is panning out and how difficult it is for me to keep flying home to California, I'm probably going to withdraw this application. Good luck to everyone and congratulations to those who are interviewing!

Do you mind posting your stats? ThanksHey guys just thought you all should know that they have started sending out interview invites. I received an invite this past Thursday so hopefully you guys will be hearing something soon too!
P.S. - I am OOS and my stats are nothing stellar. I was complete on 9/23 and received an invite on 9/29
..
Last edited:
Only because you asked so nicely!
OOS 3.6 cum/3.5 sci gpa (upward trend) 32N (evenly spaced). EC's are the usual (some volunteering here and there, some research, sprinkle in some organizations)
Do you mind if I respectfully ask if you are URM?
BTW, Darkwing Duck was an awesome show. Sigh* classics...
.
Last edited:
Sorry if this was recently clarified but.... How do I check the status of my secondary application?
It was clarified, please read earlier posts.
Any II lately? Lurkers, don't be shy, LET US KNOW!!! Past thread shows II in early October and an interview on the 20th, I believe. Why is this thread so dead?
No II, but I received the secondary (yay!) and hope to fill it out and submit it tomorrow.
Anyone else want to chime in? 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview November 19th
Congratulations man! Do you mind if I ask when you received your II? Best of luck in November.
Oh yeah no problem, October 12th I got the phone call
hey there! mind posting when you sent in your secondary?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.