2011-2012 Charles Drew University/UCLA Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychEpathic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It may be a while until they send out secondaries, but I thought it would be nice to get this thread going anyway. Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

still waiting for Drew and UCLA too....

Members don't see this ad :)
It may be a while until they send out secondaries, but I thought it would be nice to get this thread going anyway. Good luck to everyone applying!
Drew is definitely my top choice. How are the first two years? Are you getting clinical exposure? Are there opportunities to get involved with student-run clinics?

Drew is definitely my top choice. How are the first two years? Are you getting clinical exposure? Are there opportunities to get involved with student-run clinics?

We just completed week 1 at Geffen. The first two years are at the UCLA campus and years 3 and 4 will be at CDU sites. We have all the opportunities available to Geffen students plus anything else Drew offers us. It is amazing to be associated with CDU.

Hello!

So I accidentally signed up for this school instead of UCLA David Geffen on my primary app. Yet, the more I look into it, the more awesome this program seems.

Is the UCLA/DREW program in the MSAR? I just checked through it again, but nope, couldn't find it in the book. Did I somehow miss it?

Is there any cons to applying both here and to UCLA David Geffen? It's my understanding that they both seem like great schools, just with an emphasis on servicing the underserved for DREW.

Thanks for your help! :)

Hello!

So I accidentally signed up for this school instead of UCLA David Geffen on my primary app. Yet, the more I look into it, the more awesome this program seems.

Is the UCLA/DREW program in the MSAR? I just checked through it again, but nope, couldn't find it in the book. Did I somehow miss it?

Is there any cons to applying both here and to UCLA David Geffen? It's my understanding that they both seem like great schools, just with an emphasis on servicing the underserved for DREW.

Thanks for your help! :)

From what I understand, there is no disadvantage to applying to both institutions. And to answer your first question, there is not a specific section dedicated to the Drew/UCLA program in the MSAR. However, it is mentioned briefly in the UCLA section.

Drew IS an awesome program and I think you committed a very fortunate accident. Good luck!

Just got the the secondary today. Estaban how are you liking school so far.

Just got this:

"Hello Applicant,
Thank you for your interest in Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science. We have received your application and your file will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee within 4 - 6 weeks.
Thanks,
Admissions Office
CDU/UCLA Medical Education Program"

It's... coming...

Would you mind posting the secondary questions? I'd love to begin working on them too! :D
Sorry for the delay folks. I am not sure what the policy is so I am hesitant to post it. If someone knows otherwise let me know.

Verified on 8/26 secondary awarded 8/30 yay :) 1 step closer to the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the secondary questions please? Thank you!! :)

do you know if they screen in/out applicants? i'm wondering b/c i got a secondary but do they give one to all applicants or are we screened in?

thanks

do you know if they screen in/out applicants? i'm wondering b/c i got a secondary but do they give one to all applicants or are we screened in?

thanks

I'm pretty sure its a fairly selective screen.

Just got this:

"Hello Applicant,
Thank you for your interest in Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science. We have received your application and your file will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee within 4 - 6 weeks.
Thanks,
Admissions Office
CDU/UCLA Medical Education Program"

It's... coming...

I got the same email... 4 weeks ago. I'm still waiting on secondaries from Drew, Toledo, and VTC. Drew is my #1 choice fo sho.

Can someone post the secondary questions please? Thank you!! :)

Here you go! This one is pretty long. :( The questions do not start at one since questions 1 and 2 are about completing prerequisites and listing them.

3. Have you experienced any uneven performance in grades and academic achievement? If so please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)

4. If you are currently not a full time student please list and describe your current activities. (Response limited to 800 characters)

5. Describe the role you play in your immediate family. (Response limited to 800 characters)

6. Describe your community and socioeconomic environment? (Response limited to 800 characters)

7. List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years.
Dates Activity Hours/Week

8. Describe how your experience, your community, and family background impact your understanding of the underserved communities? (Response limited to 800 characters)

9. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them? (Response limited to 800 characters)

10. Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles R. Drew University? (Response limited to 800 characters)

11. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)

12. In the remaining space, provide any additional information which will give the Admissions Committee greater insight about you as an applicant. (Response limited to 800 characters)

13. How did you hear about our program? (Response limited to 800 characters)

I forgot to add my information just in case it helps those in need.

These were my stats and dates:
IS, 3.88 postbac GPA, 3.2 cum, 31Q (11VS 11PS 09BS).
AMCAS Complete: Aug 5th
Primary Received Email: Aug 17th
Secondary Received: September 3rd

It took me almost about a month for them to give me a secondary. Two weeks to let me know they received the primary and were reviewing and another two for secondary to go out.

Good luck to everyone!

I forgot to add my information just in case it helps those in need.

These were my stats and dates:
IS, 3.88 postbac GPA, 3.2 cum, 31Q (11VS 11PS 09BS).
AMCAS Complete: Aug 5th
Primary Received Email: Aug 17th
Secondary Received: September 3rd

It took me almost about a month for them to give me a secondary. Two weeks to let me know they received the primary and were reviewing and another two for secondary to go out.

Good luck to everyone!

You are a good man Person X. I was going to do this but forgot.
Secondary Received: Sept. 3, 2011 roughly (early Sept. too lazy to check)
Application Complete: Sept. 10, 2011 roughly (Checked STATUS page, yes there is one...bit hard to find initially)
GPA: ~3.8 (Very strong upward trend)
MCAT: XX (Sorry, confidentiality is important to me)

One thing to watch out for: Weird formatting errors. It drove me nuts. I was tempted to just re-make the entire document on Word.

*EDIT: I am IS.

Last edited:
is there even a timeline for when interviews go out?

Based on last year's thread, first interview invites were out in early October and continued well into March (I could be mistaken, but I believe this is correct).

There were interviews in early/mid December as well. No tours with interviews however.

My status says:

"Secondary Application Reviewed - Complete"

Does this mean my application has been looked at? Is this a hold? Or did it say this as soon as my file was complete?

My status says:

"Secondary Application Reviewed - Complete"

Does this mean my application has been looked at? Is this a hold? Or did it say this as soon as my file was complete?

That means you're good. Now we wait :cool:

You would be a great fit at CDU/UCLA :laugh:
What a good guy.

Wait wait wait wait waiting on a secondary...please? :)

(FYI, I'm two weeks into the 4-6 week waiting period)

How long does it take for your file to be complete? I emailed my secondary about a month ago and the status is still shown as "secondary app. requested"

Hey guys just thought you all should know that they have started sending out interview invites. I received an invite this past Thursday so hopefully you guys will be hearing something soon too! :luck:

P.S. - I am OOS and my stats are nothing stellar. I was complete on 9/23 and received an invite on 9/29

No secondary yet, 7 weeks since the "4 to 6 weeks" notification. Given how the rest of the cycle is panning out and how difficult it is for me to keep flying home to California, I'm probably going to withdraw this application. Good luck to everyone and congratulations to those who are interviewing!:luck:

Hey guys just thought you all should know that they have started sending out interview invites. I received an invite this past Thursday so hopefully you guys will be hearing something soon too! :luck:

P.S. - I am OOS and my stats are nothing stellar. I was complete on 9/23 and received an invite on 9/29
Do you mind posting your stats? Thanks

Only because you asked so nicely!
OOS 3.6 cum/3.5 sci gpa (upward trend) 32N (evenly spaced). EC's are the usual (some volunteering here and there, some research, sprinkle in some organizations)

Do you mind if I respectfully ask if you are URM?

BTW, Darkwing Duck was an awesome show. Sigh* classics...

I think it takes about 3 weeks for your secondary to be marked as complete at least that's how long it took for mine to be marked complete.

How do they do interview invites? Is it only by phone?

So how do rotations work out? You do both Drew and UCLA rotations?

Any II lately? Lurkers, don't be shy, LET US KNOW!!! Past thread shows II in early October and an interview on the 20th, I believe. Why is this thread so dead?

Any II lately? Lurkers, don't be shy, LET US KNOW!!! Past thread shows II in early October and an interview on the 20th, I believe. Why is this thread so dead?

No II, but I received the secondary (yay!) and hope to fill it out and submit it tomorrow.

Anyone else want to chime in? :)

Oh yeah no problem, October 12th I got the phone call

October 4th I sent my application. Does anyone know what kind of interview format they have? Is it MMI?

Last edited:
It's not an MMI format if I remember correctly. The PRIME/UCLA Geffen programs are MMI though.

Status
Not open for further replies.