2011-2012 Charles Drew University/UCLA Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to chime in as a current UCLA/CDU student.

Interview at CDU is a hybrid, not exactly MMI or traditional. At least that's how it was when i interviewed.

Good Luck on the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview at CDU is a hybrid, not exactly MMI or traditional. At least that's how it was when i interviewed.

I am interviewing next week. Can you share some of the interview questions, if you can? Thanks

I am interviewing next week. Can you please share some of your experience/ questions that you were asked? I really appreciate it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Does anyone know if Drew is receptive to letters of interest? They received my primary on 8/17 and I still haven't been sent a secondary. Total bummer because this institution is absolutely my #1 choice.

Hey! Does anyone know if Drew is receptive to letters of interest? They received my primary on 8/17 and I still haven't been sent a secondary. Total bummer because this institution is absolutely my #1 choice.
I don't know if they take letters of interest at this point, but I will say that they do take their time. Plus they only have about 5 interview days a year.

Don't give up... they received my primary on June 28th and I just got a secondary last week!

can somebody please help me with this school?

I submitted AMCAS in July and got a secondary 2 weeks ago. i'm just looking through their website and it says it is a historically black school.

is this way different than UCLA?
do graduates get a UCLA MD?
what else do you do during medical school that UCLA geffen students don't do? do you interact regularly with them?
MSAR didn't have the MCAT/GPA data either...

how stringent is their primary app --> secondary app screening process?

their website is lacking in info.

can somebody please help me with this school?

I submitted AMCAS in July and got a secondary 2 weeks ago. i'm just looking through their website and it says it is a historically black school.

is this way different than UCLA?
do graduates get a UCLA MD?
what else do you do during medical school that UCLA geffen students don't do? do you interact regularly with them?
MSAR didn't have the MCAT/GPA data either...

how stringent is their primary app --> secondary app screening process?

their website is lacking in info.
First two years are spent at Geffen (i.e. UCLA), which means you will be in the same classes as the Geffen students. The next two are spent at the hospitals affiliated with Drew, but I am sure there is flexibility with that too. It may be historically black, but strangely this entering class has zero black students, or so I was told. And that includes UCLA proper. Receiving a secondary is not easy, so you are in good company. If you have a desire to work with the underserved then this is the school for you.

First two years are spent at Geffen (i.e. UCLA), which means you will be in the same classes as the Geffen students. The next two are spent at the hospitals affiliated with Drew, but I am sure there is flexibility with that too. It may be historically black, but strangely this entering class has zero black students, or so I was told. And that includes UCLA proper. Receiving a secondary is not easy, so you are in good company. If you have a desire to work with the underserved then this is the school for you.

You were told wrong, we have 5 African American students (all female coincidentally) this year. The university (undergrad) is historically black though a more accurate description would be it is historically favorable to all who are inclined to serve the underserved. The medical program, since it is not an independent institution, is not historically anything. True the class may be made up of a large number of minorities but that is because, like the PRIME program, they are more inclined to actually work in underserved areas after graduation (and they're usually from those areas).

You were told wrong, we have 5 African American students (all female coincidentally) this year. The university (undergrad) is historically black though a more accurate description would be it is historically favorable to all who are inclined to serve the underserved. The medical program, since it is not an independent institution, is not historically anything. True the class may be made up of a large number of minorities but that is because, like the PRIME program, they are more inclined to actually work in underserved areas after graduation (and they're usually from those areas).
Thank you both for the answers

So graduates receive a UCLA diploma?

What is the difference between Geffen and Drew? Once I graduate, why can I not do whatever I want?
During the 4 years of medical school itself, the only difference would be the last 2 years' location of rotations, though 4th year rotations could, technically, be anywhere...

What about socially? Is it as 'fun' of an environment as Geffen supposedly is?

Thanks for your help. i will be calling the admissions office soon, but are there any other sources for info on the school?
do they release stats? (# candidates, # interviews, # offers, # who accept, mcat/GPA #s)

How many weeks did it take you guys to get a secondary from Drew?

3-4 business days from the time I sent in my primary to them to when they sent me a secondary.

40Q, 3.5 GPA, 3+ publications, 2+ years clinical work, 0 volunteer hours, CA resident

I don't think the wait is related to stats...at least that's what I've been told. My mcat wasn't as high and the secondary invite was the first point of contact. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the answers

So graduates receive a UCLA diploma?

What is the difference between Geffen and Drew? Once I graduate, why can I not do whatever I want?
During the 4 years of medical school itself, the only difference would be the last 2 years' location of rotations, though 4th year rotations could, technically, be anywhere...

What about socially? Is it as 'fun' of an environment as Geffen supposedly is?

Thanks for your help. i will be calling the admissions office soon, but are there any other sources for info on the school?
do they release stats? (# candidates, # interviews, # offers, # who accept, mcat/GPA #s)

1)Yes, you get a diploma from UCLA/Drew.
2) You can do "whatever you want" in terms of your practice. 2/3 of last year's class, however, chose primary care.
3) The first two years are at Geffen, the last two are at Drew sites.
4) If you find "fun" people from Geffen, let me know. :D
5) 1800 apply, about 160-200 interview, offers of acceptance unknown (I assume between 40 and 50), numbers who accept/reject unknown, mcat/GPA can range significantly.
6) Good luck.

I got an interview invite! :) My interview date is Saturday November 19th, but I am going to try to reschedule since I am currently out of the country.

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Don't give up... they received my primary on June 28th and I just got a secondary last week!

Damn.

Im still waiting to hear back from them but I've given up for the most part.

How many weeks did it take you guys to get a secondary from Drew?

It took me 3 days from the time from the time they received my primary application. I think the process is slow though...still waiting to see if I got an interview.

1)Yes, you get a diploma from UCLA/Drew.
2) You can do "whatever you want" in terms of your practice. 2/3 of last year's class, however, chose primary care.
3) The first two years are at Geffen, the last two are at Drew sites.
4) If you find "fun" people from Geffen, let me know. :D
5) 1800 apply, about 160-200 interview, offers of acceptance unknown (I assume between 40 and 50), numbers who accept/reject unknown, mcat/GPA can range significantly.
6) Good luck.

'If you find "fun" people from Geffen, let me know.' Though I know you're being facetious, I get the impression that there is a bit of truth to your comment. How is the general vibe at Geffen?

'If you find "fun" people from Geffen, let me know.' Though I know you're being facetious, I get the impression that there is a bit of truth to your comment. How is the general vibe at Geffen?

Ha ha, well, let's just say that Geffen seems to have an interesting selection process. Most people in the class are friendly, but some are just plain annoying. But I'm sure you'll find that anywhere.

Most of the Drew students are pretty awesome.

Does Drew have a rolling admissions process? I noticed from past threads that they don't release admissions decisions until feb-march of the next year. So, does interviewing early mean anything? Or do people who interview through Oct - Feb have the same chances of getting in?

Does Drew have a rolling admissions process? I noticed from past threads that they don't release admissions decisions until feb-march of the next year. So, does interviewing early mean anything? Or do people who interview through Oct - Feb have the same chances of getting in?

I interviewed in December. I didn't hear back until June. Some people interviewed in January and heard back in March. I wouldn't say that there is any sort of correlation between when you interview and when you are accepted. Be patient...I know it isn't easy.

Ha ha, well, let's just say that Geffen seems to have an interesting selection process. Most people in the class are friendly, but some are just plain annoying. But I'm sure you'll find that anywhere.

Most of the Drew students are pretty awesome.

When Esteban says most, he really just means me. But in all seriousness, ALL the Drew kids are awesome and most the Geffen ones are cool too.

Does Drew only interview during certain months or is it rolling throughout the year?

Thanks!

Just got my interview appointment for Drew :) . However, I just read on their website they take average 24 students, and someone posted that they interview 160-200. That gives me a 10-15% chance of getting in :eek:

Edit: wait, i find this link interesting. even though they have been having an average of 24 MD graduates up until 09, they had 100 enrollees in the MD program in 2009, according to the facts sheet. I'm I just reading this wrong or did they increase the size of the entry class and did not update their website?
http://www.cdrewu.edu/about-cdu/profile

Last edited:
Just got my interview appointment for Drew :) . However, I just read on their website they take average 24 students, and someone posted that they interview 160-200. That gives me a 10-15% chance of getting in :eek:

Edit: wait, i find this link interesting. even though they have been having an average of 24 MD graduates up until 09, they had 100 enrollees in the MD program in 2009, according to the facts sheet. I'm I just reading this wrong or did they increase the size of the entry class and did not update their website?
http://www.cdrewu.edu/about-cdu/profile

It is always 24 students exactly, the limit set by the state. They make sure it's 24 students. 100 enrollees = total enrollees across all 4 years, should actually be 96.

For the other question, there have been interview sessions for October, November and January.

It is always 24 students exactly, the limit set by the state. They make sure it's 24 students. 100 enrollees = total enrollees across all 4 years, should actually be 96.

For the other question, there have been interview sessions for October, November and January.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, deep down I was hoping you would give me the good news that they had increased the class size :)

Can you please share when you submitted your secondary application? thanks :)

Can you please share when you submitted your secondary application? thanks :)
I was very late, I sent mine in around oct 10th.
I just got a david geffen interview invite today also :)

I was very late, I sent mine in around oct 10th.
I just got a david geffen interview invite today also :)
CDU received my secondary on Nov. 4th, talk about being late LOL!!
And I'm still waiting to receive a secondary from David Geffen. :(

That's awesome, congrats on both interviews!! Good Luck :)
I'll stay hopeful in the meantime.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the adcom to review the secondary application. I know it says on the website it takes 4 weeks but its been more than four weeks. Here is to wishful thinking :xf:

AMCAS verified Nov 14th
got the UCLA sec yesterday
Still waiting for Drew/UCLA sec, do they take a while to send out their sec's??

Last edited:
They said we hear back late January to Early March is that correct?

For people who have interviewed:

Are the interviews the same as UCLA? Are they MMIs? If not, is it open file, semi-open, close? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

Any idea on when the remaining interview dates are?

Any idea on when the remaining interview dates are?

At least I know that January 14th is one, since I am interviewing that day in the morning! :) I do not know if it is the last one or not.

I think the remaining days are in february...they should be releasing/notifying soon? :luck:

Did other people receive emails about the Jan. 14th interviews being re-scheduled due to a major scheduling conflict? The only two other open days would be Jan 7th and Feb 4th. For me it is very big problem as I had already bought my airplane ticket and in order to re-schedule it, it would cost me a lot of money. I am also not in the U.S. currently and have to fly from overseas.

Does anyone know if you are able to interview with someone "ONLY" and not have the complete day they plan for you?

(Feeling a bit anxious about this situation)

Did other people receive emails about the Jan. 14th interviews being re-scheduled due to a major scheduling conflict? The only two other open days would be Jan 7th and Feb 4th. For me it is very big problem as I had already bought my airplane ticket and in order to re-schedule it, it would cost me a lot of money. I am also not in the U.S. currently and have to fly from overseas.

Does anyone know if you are able to interview with someone "ONLY" and not have the complete day they plan for you?

(Feeling a bit anxious about this situation)

I also had to reschedule. from jan 14th to jan 7th. Regarding your question, I really do not know.

In case anyone wants to know...

AMCAS verified: 6/17
Email from Drew stating primary was received: 8/17

Several weeks ago I sent a LOI to Drew and about a week later I received a secondary. I was getting concerned since Drew is absolutely my top choice (tied with UCLA PRIME). Who knows if the email and 2ndary were a coincidence...

Crossing my fingers for II.

Primary sent 10/15
AMCAS verified11/14

never got the email from DREW acknowledging receipt of my app...
So I called them, they said they had my application and that their processing takes longer ...

4 weeks now and no sec yet :luck:

Last edited:
They said we hear back late January to Early March is that correct?

I saw on last year's thread that it was as early as March and late as June.
They told us at the interview (11/19) to be patient, as they take their time selecting applicants. It's tough considering how awesome we are:xf::luck:

Primary sent 10/15
AMCAS verified11/14

So I called them, they said they had my application and that their processing takes longer ...

4 weeks now and no II yet :luck:

Perhaps an LOI stating why the program is a good fit for you would help. Suerte!!

Are they receptive to LOI before being invited to fill out a secondary app?

I sent an LOI and a week later, I received an invite to complete the secondary. Coincidence? Perhaps.

If you decide to write one, I'd act quickly. This may be the last week that they send out secondaries or receive them (not sure which of the two).

I called them today, they said my app is with the adcom....if I were to get a secondary, I should hear back from them from now till Monday Dec. 19th

crossing my fingers :(

Last edited:
I called them today, they said my app is with the adcom....if I were to get a secondary, I should hear back from them from now till Monday Dec. 19th

crossing my fingers :(

Suerte!

Primary sent 10/15
AMCAS verified11/14

4 weeks now and no II yet :luck:

+1 in the same boat patiently waiting and also plotting my next move if nothing happens this application season not to worried I think things will be fine as they always are :)

Status
Not open for further replies.