2008-2009 University of Utah Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the same way. The wait is killing me. My friend was pretty much a given at Utah. He is a great candidate and I'm sure he'll get acceptances at other schools (he really wants to go to Mayo I think), but I know he's really excited about Utah. I guess the rest of us will just have to wait. Maybe he was just a unique exception if nobody else has heard anything...

Members don't see this ad.

Well, at least we know they have begun sending letters!

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard from the U yet regarding acceptance for this cycle. A good friend of mine received their acceptance letter last week and was wondering if more people have been getting them this early as well...

I hate this waiting game. I interviewed in September and most likely won't know anything until late March.

We were also told end of January-ish. Not that I don't believe you but did you get a look at that letter! ha ha ha! Good for him! Hopefully more will be coming soon! Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Called the Office of Admissions, they have indeed sent out some letters, very few. The majority will go out at the end of March, just as Dr. Samuelson said at the interview.

Called the Office of Admissions, they have indeed sent out some letters, very few. The majority will go out at the end of March, just as Dr. Samuelson said at the interview.
It's true. I know someone at the U that just got accepted. :luck: everybody!

For those of you who know people who have received acceptances, any of them OOS?

For those that have gotten acceptances, where you were notified of a CBC or did you just surprisingly get a letter in the mail?

i just received the letter in the mail-it is a thin letter so dont be scared to open it!!

it is dated december 15th and i am IS.
i did not receive the CBC email first.
good luck everyone!:luck:

i just received the letter in the mail-it is a thin letter so dont be scared to open it!!

it is dated december 15th and i am IS.
i did not receive the CBC email first.
good luck everyone!:luck:

Congrats! That's great!

I'll be watching the mail, but I'm thinking it will be march for me.

Talked to UofU today and found out that they only accepted **10** in December. Starting in January they will start sending out rejection letters. The rest of the acceptances will be mailed out the first week of April. Called about sending an addendum, they said it would be read and put into your file but it would never go into committee so it doesn't really make a difference because after interview you are given a score and that score stays with you until the end of the cycle.

Does anyone know if they have made a decision regarding the class size?

What is the consensus among all of you, would you rather the University of Utah cut the class size to minimize the needed increase in tuition or would you rather they raise the tuition more in order to maintain a larger class size?

I don't know if it's that simple. But, even if they raised tuition $10K/yr it would still be the least expensive school that I'm considering. I would prefer they maintain the class size and raise the tuition if that were a possibility.

It occured to me yesterday that I should have written to the U and told them my point of view. Maybe, it's not too late (?).

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know if it's that simple. But, even if they raised tuition $10K/yr it would still be the least expensive school that I'm considering. I would prefer they maintain the class size and raise the tuition if that were a possibility.

It occured to me yesterday that I should have written to the U and told them my point of view. Maybe, it's not too late (?).

What is tuition at the U like nowadays? And what are they thinking of raising it to? It seems to me that there are plenty of places with lower tuition, especially if you can get IS asap... checking your MDapps I see Ohio state could compare after the first year (or if you are married and your wife works full-time) especially if the U raises tuition.

Also, Texas schools are the place. OOS tuition not bad, and some of the schools give you IS from the get-go. I wonder how this tuition-financial thing will affect Utah's incoming classes... :eek:

P.S. Props to Utah last night vs. Alabama!!!

What is the consensus among all of you, would you rather the University of Utah cut the class size to minimize the needed increase in tuition or would you rather they raise the tuition more in order to maintain a larger class size?

I don't understand how cutting the class size saves money? The infrastructure is already in place. What extra costs do an extra 10 bros munching on potato chips in the back of anatomy lecture incur? They won't even be saving money on cadavers because there will be no more anatomy lab next year:confused: . I'm calling their bluff on reducing the class size.

I don't understand how cutting the class size saves money? The infrastructure is already in place. What extra costs do an extra 10 bros munching on potato chips in the back of anatomy lecture incur? They won't even be saving money on cadavers because there will be no more anatomy lab next year:confused: . I'm calling their bluff on reducing the class size.

I thought about the same thing.... Does anyone know the specifics of the tuition raises?? And no anatomy lab/???

where did the NO ANATOMY LAB thing come from? They get 'bodies' all the time...they give (or share) them with BYU? Um? Is this for real?

Got the rejection letter today....good luck to the rest of you. Oh, and just so you know we interviewed the 1st day of interviews.

Last edited:
Got the rejection letter yesterday. I could care the least bit about the school I am just upset now I will have to pay more for tuition.

"Books" how are you doing in the rest of the application process?

Good luck and Congrats to those who got in!

Got the early rejection letter yesterday as well, and I'm IS. Not really sure how the hell you get rejected early your second time around after doing everything the Dean says to improve your application for their program. Hell, I even improved my MCAT when he said that wasn't necessary.

Maybe it has something to do with their shrinking class.

Good Luck to all of you still in the running!

What!! Early rejections are already out??? I come from a long-line of friends who receive early rejections.... Where's mine??

Maybe because I interviewed later??

Got the early rejection letter yesterday as well, and I'm IS. Not really sure how the hell you get rejected early your second time around after doing everything the Dean says to improve your application for their program. Hell, I even improved my MCAT when he said that wasn't necessary.

Maybe it has something to do with their shrinking class.

Good Luck to all of you still in the running!

Maybe you used "I" in your personal statement too many times? These things are counted you know.

Last edited:
What!! Early rejections are already out??? I come from a long-line of friends who receive early rejections.... Where's mine??

:laugh:

Naw, I made sure I didn't use I too many times. Maybe my EC's are overqualified?

BTW, Vease, you make me laugh. I know your stats, and I know you've gotten accepted to other places that are ranked far better than the U. Congrats on your success, well deserved my friend.

BTW, Vease, you make me laugh. I know your stats, and I know you've gotten accepted to other places that are ranked far better than the U. Congrats on your success, well deserved my friend.

Thank you :) I really should not be so critical. I LOVED my interviewers at the U and I thought it would be a nice place to go to school. I just think many of their admissions policies (and attitudes about admissions) are over the top and, frankly, condescending towards applicants. :( I dunno, maybe one person just rubs me the wrong way.

Good luck to all of you who are at the mercy of the U! For those who have been accepted, let us all know the secrets of this strange admissions process!... I certainly haven't been able to figure it out during my time at the U.

Well I received the dreaded rejection letter in the mail today. OOS, interviewed at the end of Sept. I did everything the dean told me to do to improve my app and more, but still didn't get accepted. Well I'm at least glad I didn't have to wait all the way til April to get the notice.

Does anyone happen to have or know where i could find the U's match list for last year or the year before? i've looked everywhere, but can't find anything. I wanted to see if you guys knew anything before i called them. I'm not really interested in the specialties that they matched - just interested in the locations of their residency placements... any info on how to obatain the match list(s) would be appreciated...

Vease, I completely agree with you. I know of quite a few applicants who have decided not to attend the school, just because of the bad vibe they got from the person I think you're talking about...

E.g. threatening to withdraw acceptances if applicants lie (not that I don't agree with him, but i don't think an interview is the right place to say this when you should be trying to sell your school), or saying that you'd "fire" faculty who give us their contact info, or saying that people who don't finish the future courses they've deignated on AMCAS are deliberately trying to mislead the school and hence don't deserve to keep their acceptances, etc etc etc...

Again, i'm not saying i don't agree with him - i'm saying that he chose the wrong place and time to go on his rant... We're not kids where you need to threaten us. He truly gives the school a bad name in my opinion.

Does anyone happen to have or know where i could find the U's match list for last year or the year before? i've looked everywhere, but can't find anything. I wanted to see if you guys knew anything before i called them. I'm not really interested in the specialties that they matched - just interested in the locations of their residency placements... any info on how to obatain the match list(s) would be appreciated...

Vease, I completely agree with you. I know of quite a few applicants who have decided not to attend the school, just because of the bad vibe they got from the person I think you're talking about...

E.g. threatening to withdraw acceptances if applicants lie (not that I don't agree with him, but i don't think an interview is the right place to say this when you should be trying to sell your school), or saying that you'd "fire" faculty who give us their contact info, or saying that people who don't finish the future courses they've deignated on AMCAS are deliberately trying to mislead the school and hence don't deserve to keep their acceptances, etc etc etc...

Again, i'm not saying i don't agree with him - i'm saying that he chose the wrong place and time to go on his rant... We're not kids where you need to threaten us. He truly gives the school a bad name in my opinion.

My thoughts precisely! I hope the school's administration is privy to our concerns (and that I'm not going to be blackballed from residency programs for poor SDN behavior if I decide to return to utah :))

I do recall seeing a U of U matchlist on SDN. Maybe try searching for "matchlists." It was contained in a 8 or 9 page thread full of various matchlists?

My thoughts precisely! I hope the school's administration is privy to our concerns (and that I'm not going to be blackballed from residency programs for poor SDN behavior if I decide to return to utah :))

I do recall seeing a U of U matchlist on SDN. Maybe try searching for "matchlists." It was contained in a 8 or 9 page thread full of various matchlists?

i thought about writing the school a letter - but i was worried i'd make it on someone's blacklist:D

thanks for the info!

I felt really good about my interviews, but I got rejected today. Good luck to the rest of you.

I was asked how the rest of the process is going for me....well, it seems like I followed the NORM....go to 3 interviews and get one acceptance. I went to 3 interviews and canceled 2 interviews. I've decided not to go to anymore interviews unless they are better than the school I got accepted to.

remember when I sucked your blood out? Yum

what happened to your "elizabeth" tag? I liked it

:laugh: ha ha yeah i remember the experience! you should have been there today, clinic was SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

it still should be there-i didnt change it. :shrug: hmm...

Last edited:
Yea I was reading about the downsizing at the U in the SL Trib a few months ago but it primarily affects the out of state students, not residents. So that shouldn't affect your chances if you are from Utah.
With the economy the way it is I was told by my professor that the U on July 1st (overall) faces a $41million cut in spending. Where that will come from, no one quite sure knows...

Utah in last year's legislature sought out to expand the class size and that bill was cut. Got my hopes up then...and now this happens...ugh.

Well that sucks. I'm OOS and thats the only school I wanted to go to.

Have any Idahoans heard anything so far? I was hoping that they would be doing a little accepting and rejecting for us as well but I'm guessing we're not going to hear anything until March.

where did the NO ANATOMY LAB thing come from? They get 'bodies' all the time...they give (or share) them with BYU? Um? Is this for real?

Did anyone ever answer this question? If not, I'll give it a try - supposedly you no longer get to dissect in anatomy lab. Courses are now going to be oriented by organ system, if I remember right, and you'll go into the lab and see organs and bodies that are already dissected and look all pretty.

by the way, sorry to hear about all the rejections, guys. It looks like a lot of people have been interviewing, maybe that's why there are so many rejections this year? Good luck to the rest of you.

Did anyone ever answer this question? If not, I'll give it a try - supposedly you no longer get to dissect in anatomy lab. Courses are now going to be oriented by organ system, if I remember right, and you'll go into the lab and see organs and bodies that are already dissected and look all pretty.

by the way, sorry to hear about all the rejections, guys. It looks like a lot of people have been interviewing, maybe that's why there are so many rejections this year? Good luck to the rest of you.

so has this been confirmed then? im hesistant about going here because i dont quite know what to expect.

Yeah, I agree. I mean it's a good school and all but it's just a little worrisome when all these rumors fly around about what they may be doing the next few years and they won't come out and say anything.

There was an article in the Daily Chronicle about 2 weeks ago explaining how they will be keeping dissection in the curriculum. I would, however, think that the current med student would be more accurate than the school newspaper.

Hi,

Does anybody know if the SOM has actually announced the extent of the incoming class size cut? With only a about a month before acceptances are out, surely they know by now. Has anyone interviewed in the last few weeks and heard the dean's orientation speech about the matter? When I interviewed in December he was very vague. I couldn't find any recent news articles in the SL Tribune, etc...

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I was told that ~80% of Utah acceptances are sent out in March. Is this also true for the majority of the rejections, or are they sent out in higher quantities than acceptances early in the season?

I suppose I really want to know simply because I want to know how optimistic I should be with not having heard either way...

Thanks.

Hi,

Does anybody know if the SOM has actually announced the extent of the incoming class size cut? With only a about a month before acceptances are out, surely they know by now. Has anyone interviewed in the last few weeks and heard the dean's orientation speech about the matter? When I interviewed in December he was very vague. I couldn't find any recent news articles in the SL Tribune, etc...

I know that class size will be dependent upon funding from the state, and the legislature just started their session this week. The extent of the funding cut may also be dependent upon how much money the state gets from the feds in the stimulus bill pending in Congress.

Speculation on my part as someone who follows Utah and national politics: I suspect the earlier announcement of a 20% class cut was political posturing by the SOM to influence the legislature to go easy on the cuts to the school. I think the cuts will be no more and probably much less than 20% imho. Maybe I'm wrong, but in any event, the SOM can't make any more concrete projections on class size until later in the legislative session when they get a better idea of how much money they'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.