2008-2009 University of Utah Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks emucansado... i like your reasoning!

From the looks of this page (http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2009/2009.htm) general session runs from Jan 26th - March 12th. So I guess we'll know around March 12th at the latest...

Members don't see this ad.

Got the rejection letter today. From Idaho and I interviewed December 18.

Yeah, I agree. I mean it's a good school and all but it's just a little worrisome when all these rumors fly around about what they may be doing the next few years and they won't come out and say anything.

Really? They've been really open about the changes with the medical students. They've told us most years about the changes, and they've sent out a word document with the new curriculum that I think you can find online. I can't remember anything specific from it, though.

I agree with the comment about legislature funding. It all depends on what the U can get. As things stand now, we've all heard about 25 (20-30) students being cut, but it would be less if they don't lose as much funding as they expect to. I'm not certain that all those being cut would be OOS - the U kept talking about the fact that they didn't want our diversity to suffer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard from the U yet regarding acceptance for this cycle. A good friend of mine received their acceptance letter last week and was wondering if more people have been getting them this early as well...

I hate this waiting game. I interviewed in September and most likely won't know anything until late March.
I interviewed on November 10th and received an acceptance letter in the mail on Friday, February 6th. Hope yours comes soon as well. :)

With regards to those who have been rejected and those who have been accepted: would you mind sharing gpa and mcat stats with us. I am trying to figure out if they are just trickling out acceptances right now or if they have actually started finalizing the class and are ready to send out other acceptances. Thanks!:D

With regards to those who have been rejected and those who have been accepted: would you mind sharing gpa and mcat stats with us. I am trying to figure out if they are just trickling out acceptances right now or if they have actually started finalizing the class and are ready to send out other acceptances. Thanks!:D

3.82 amcas verified science and nonscience gpa. 27N MCAT. interviewed in november and got accepted back in december. also im IS.

True! also curious. No pressure though :D

3.97 GPA 32O MCAT
I thought the interview went great. Don't know exactly what happened. I guess there are just a lot of cool(er than me) Idaho applicants.

3.97 GPA 32O MCAT
I thought the interview went great. Don't know exactly what happened. I guess there are just a lot of cool(er than me) Idaho applicants.

Wow that's rough, you have some solid numbers. It must be pretty stiff for those 8 Idaho spots. I heard they interview over 80 people for them. Good luck with your other applications.

thanks for sharing your stats so far. the u is so weird when it comes to numbers...you just never know. keep the stats coming if anyone else out there has a rejection or acceptance (and is not too afraid to share it):)

OOS, rejected yesterday... Check mdapps for stats. :(

Really, really, really, really loved U of U and the beautiful view.

Interview early Oct, accepted Feb 3rd, Utah resident. MCAT 33R, Science GPA 3.6, Non-science 4.00.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm proof the U is not really all about numbers. I'm in state, interviewed in Nov and I got accepted on Jan 9th with 26 N and 3.5 GPA. There is hope for all with lower scores like me but you have to make sure the rest of your stats are good. I have 3 years research experience with the school of medicine, tons of hours shadowing physicians at the U, and owend my own company.

They don't take your "numbers" to the admissions committee when they decide on your application. So, if you've got a 45 MCAT, and 4.00 GPA, nobody will know unless one of your recommenders wrote it. Likewise if you have the lowest GPA and MCAT in their pile they won't know it.

The trick is to have the letters and essay that make you sound like you are the student with the 45 MCAT and 4.00 GPA who, at the same time, is a full, wonderful human being with a sense of humor and who isn't afraid to get his/her hands dirty in spite of all that impressive junk.

Yeah...I got rejected last year and had an application post-mortem with the dean. Hopefully it helped :). Evidently I sounded like the 45 MCAT 4.00 GPA until the last paragraph of my essay when it went "KATHUNK" (thank you pre-med adviser).

Who thinks the U is all about numbers? It only takes a few minutes of listening to dean samuelson to realize that the U ignores applicant's numbers.

I never said the U is all about numbers, but everyone is wondering about the scores people got, when there is a whole lot more that goes into an applicant.

That is the weird thing about the U. The numbers really don't matter. It's all about the activities, essays, and recommends. I am just trying to figure out who is getting the early acceptances and maybe some insight into why. Thanks to all of you who have been sharing:). Good luck to everyone else who is still in this horrible waiting game!!!:luck:

That is the weird thing about the U. The numbers really don't matter. It's all about the activities, essays, and recommends. I am just trying to figure out who is getting the early acceptances and maybe some insight into why. Thanks to all of you who have been sharing:). Good luck to everyone else who is still in this horrible waiting game!!!:luck:

Well, they said they were trying to be "better" this year to make the U more aligned with other school's admissions processes, to make applicant's decisions easier and cost effective (less interviews, less ridiculous non-refundable D.O. deposits). They are trying to hand out the most obvious rejections and acceptances as early as possible. Because the U doesn't take #'s to the adcom table, the "obvious" decisions aren't going to be obvious to you :).

You'd have to ask people what their interviewers and recommenders wrote, and what their extra curriculars were.

After we get the interview, as far as I can tell we're all pretty much equal aside from the written components of our file.

Very true. I think you get an interview as long as your MCAT is above a 21 and the GPA is above a 3.0 or something. And in the end I think those two things count for about 10% - 20% of your overall score. But really at least 80% comes from other sources (interview and other categories), so if you don't shine there you are pretty much screwed. Especially research. The last few years there have been a lot of accepted student with lots of research experience, as well as publications.

Today I got my rejection.

They have interviewed me 3 years in a row. I have had a meeting with the dean in order to improve my application. Now, I am not allowed to apply next year...which is fine, b/c now I will have other options (since I got rid of an evidently awful committee letter).

But really, 3 years in a row and they didn't know they were going to reject me? I feel like they could have saved me the money of the flight out there.

For those of you who will ask:
Out of state, but strong ties to Utah (Dad grew up there, parents pay property taxes there) 3.45 GPA, 3.25 Science. 34T. But ivy league engineering B.S. + humanities B.A. Parents are alumni of the U, and the U's med school. :(

Sorry to hear about your rejection:(. This application year is hitting everyone pretty hard and I am sure that the out of state applicants are going to suffer (at least that is the rumor). At least you already have your acceptances and know you are on the road to becoming a doctor. I really feel for you though having to spend the money on a third interview out here. Best of luck to you!

This wait is driving me bonkers. I just want to know already.

Science GPA : 3.73
Non-Science GPA : 3.97
MCAT : 29-S
Extracurriculars include 5 years research with clinical faculty of the SofM, 2.5 years clinical/hospital experience, and other stuff as well...
Interviewed : Nov. 10
Accepted : Feb. 6
I am a Utah resident, applied to 24 schools, completed secondaries to 18 schools, and was only invited for one interview (Utah).
The acceptance letter comes in a normal envelope, but is thicker than the many other rejection letters I've received (2 pages instead of 1). Hope you all receive acceptances in the next few weeks! Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your stats UnivofUtahMed. You seem to have a great application..how crazy that you only interviewed at the U! Good luck next year!

bingo,
when did u interview?

I interviewed in early October. They said at the interview not to expect any decisions until March, but I guess I was hoping I'd be one of the lucky exceptions. This is the last school I'm waiting on so once I get the verdict, I'll finally be able to start making plans.

Last edited:
I interviewed in early October. They said at the interview not to expect any decisions until March, but I guess I was hoping I'd be one of the lucky exceptions. This is the last school I'm waiting on so once I get the verdict, I'll finally be able to start making plans.

Ditto, and I just moved to Utah, so it'd be nice not to have to move back to OK for school (especially if I can afford UoU)

I interviewed Feb 6 and got my rejection letter today. I'm OOS

Has anyone received an acceptance recently? I interviewed in October and am getting really antsy!! :xf:

I'm at Utah State and I haven't heard of anyone that has gotten accepted here so far this year. A guy I know got rejected two weeks ago though. Any USU lurkers out there?

I'm pretty sure they said March is the month, so any time now. I interviewed in September, so it's been a bit. No biggie though. The Utah legislative session ends on Thursday, so they should know their budget shortly.

I have a question though. Even if I get accepted here I'm not sure that I'd even go. Am I the only one that thought the only impressive aspect of the school was the nice building? Or possibly the fact that it's in Utah (I love Utah a HUGE plus for me)?

Frankly I wasn't impressed with the curriculum, step scores, match list, student collaboration, clinical facilities, etc. In-state tuition is more expensive than some other "better" (obviously subjective) schools I've been accepted at. Also, the general feeling they gave me during application/interview that I'd be lucky to get in. Maybe I'm just a U of U hater, so I'm interested in everyone else's opinion. What did you guys like/find impressive about the U med school?

I know of two people that have been accepted, but they were the shoe-in kind that were accepted back in December/January. I don't know of any more who have been accepted this month. I do know rejections are going out, though. Very sad! I am so nervous for myself now.

In response to emucansando, please pretty please don't go here if you get accepted. You shouldn't waste your time on a school that you don't like when you have been accepted to other schools. Give us other peeps a chance, too.:) I think the U is what you make of it (so are most schools for that matter). You have to put in the hard work, challenge yourself, and motivate yourself. I personally think the U is awesome because of all the amazing research (genetics, neuroscience, cancer) that takes place on campus. I am excited for the new curriculum which should make the school much more on par with the rest of the country.

I still haven't heard any final word on the class size. Has anyone else?

I performed research at the U of U med school one summer when I was an undergraduate and I really liked the vibe. Although the school may not have the best USMLE scores or pass rates, I think that it is important to feel comfortable where you go to school and I think I would be very comfortable at the U. Plus, I love to snowboard and it would be nice to get to go snowboarding in whatever free time I end up having.

I have a question though. Even if I get accepted here I'm not sure that I'd even go. Am I the only one that thought the only impressive aspect of the school was the nice building? Or possibly the fact that it's in Utah (I love Utah a HUGE plus for me)?

I'm in the same boat as you emucansado. It would be really nice to stay close to family and friends but is that worth being less competive for your favorite specialty when match comes up in a few years? I did like that most of the medical students I meet seemed to be type B, laid back personalities, which might make the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. Also, since admissions doesn't give too much weight to GPA or MCAT scores, maybe it would be a little easier to excell academically at the U.

Emucansado: My impression (which is limited to my interview and talking to Utah alumni and students) is that some of the plus-side factors with attending the U have to do with your 3rd and 4th year more than your first two years. Once you DO get accepted, you are in the "club". The faculty and physicians seem to have a very good relationship with students during rotations and Utah has strong connections all over. I also liked the fact that there are a variety of hospitals around SLC to do rotations in.

However, I would have to agree that the first two years don't stand out compared to other schools I have interviewed at. It's a matter of preference, some people thrive on PBL and early patient contact - but many starry-eyed pre-med students change their mind once they actually start studying for step 1. I think Utah's curriculum could help you succeed as well as any other school if you make the most of it. To be honest, after four years of learning how to get good grades from a large lecture in undergrad, I question whether PBL would teach me 'better'. I think med schools put a lot of emphasis on PBL and early patient contact to make themselves attractive, not necessarily because it is superior.

You have already pointed out the other advantages, good research and location (if you like Utah/winter sports).

Frankly I wasn't impressed with the curriculum, step scores [and dismal pass rate of Step 1], match list, student collaboration, clinical facilities, etc. In-state tuition is more expensive [and likely to go up even more!!] than some other "better" (obviously subjective) schools I've been accepted at. Also, the general feeling they gave me during application/interview is that I'd be lucky to get in. Maybe I'm just a U of U hater, so I'm interested in everyone else's opinion. What did you guys like/find impressive about the U med school?

I felt the same way, emu, with emphasis in the bolded areas, and added negatives in red. Big positive is the location, though, that's for sure. Beautiful campus and new building... but some big negatives in some other very key areas. Overall, not impressed.

I agree that the board scores are a big deal, but I also had to warn myself not to make too big of a deal about them. They can be reflective of the school, but I think they are a bigger reflection of the student. It is widely held that the MCAT is a pretty good predictor of Step 1 scores. And, remember, Utah doesn't put a lot fo weight into things like MCAT scores. Therefore, Utah accepts a lot of people with lower MCAT scores than a lot of other comparable schools. In other words, Utah accepts people who simply may not do as well on standardized tests such as the MCAT or USMLE. I think this may be a major factor in why Utah's Step 1 scores are lower than many other respected schools, and this has a direct effect on the residencies they get.

Do I think part of the blame for the low scores are the College's fault. Sure. I think that is worth consideration. But I would also look at the people who they accept simply may not be destined to score well on the boards, even if they went to Harvard or Johns Hopkins. They just won't do well on the Step 1. And I think a significant factor in the lower-than-ideal board scores is a direct effect of this, maybe even moreso than the College's curriculum or teaching methods.

So I personally am not investing as much into the lower board scores, and thus the unimpressive match lists, as I initailly thought. I just don't think they are the most accurate gauge of the quality of their curriculum.

Besides, Boards are individual things. If you put in the time, most likely you will get a comparably good score. That's what I think anyway...

I agree that the board scores are a big deal, but I also had to warn myself not to make too big of a deal about them. They can be reflective of the school, but I think they are a bigger reflection of the student. It is widely held that the MCAT is a pretty good predictor of Step 1 scores. And, remember, Utah doesn't put a lot fo weight into things like MCAT scores. Therefore, Utah accepts a lot of people with lower MCAT scores than a lot of other comparable schools. In other words, Utah accepts people who simply may not do as well on standardized tests such as the MCAT or USMLE. I think this may be a major factor in why Utah's Step 1 scores are lower than many other respected schools, and this has a direct effect on the residencies they get.

Do I think part of the blame for the low scores are the College's fault. Sure. I think that is worth consideration. But I would also look at the people who they accept simply may not be destined to score well on the boards, even if they went to Harvard or Johns Hopkins. They just won't do well on the Step 1. And I think a significant factor in the lower-than-ideal board scores is a direct effect of this, maybe even moreso than the College's curriculum or teaching methods.

So I personally am not investing as much into the lower board scores, and thus the unimpressive match lists, as I initailly thought. I just don't think they are the most accurate gauge of the quality of their curriculum.

Besides, Boards are individual things. If you put in the time, most likely you will get a comparably good score. That's what I think anyway...

so i agree with you to an extent. there are schools though that accept students with low MCAT scores (average of 26 vs 30 in utah) who end up with doing above the national average on Step 1. For instance, in 2007 Morehouse school of Medicine (a historically black medical school ) had a 100% pass rate on step 1 but the U of U was at 89% with the national average being at 94%. in 2006 though the U of U was at 97%. so is each class getting worse as a whole or is the school becoming worse? i dont know the answer to that. i do agree that if you put in the time, you can achieve what you want. but i also think that there should be some recognition given to schools like morehouse who accept "less competitive" students and get them to succeed and be great doctors too.

anyways my point is that it is really hard to choose which medical school to go to, if you are lucky enough to have multiple acceptances. i am IS and have been accepted but with the rising tuition I dont know if I will be staying. plus I've never been big on snowboarding/skiing/snow since i was born on an island so who knows what i'll end up doing. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they said March is the month, so any time now. I interviewed in September, so it's been a bit. No biggie though. The Utah legislative session ends on Thursday, so they should know their budget shortly.

Frankly I wasn't impressed with the curriculum, step scores, match list, student collaboration, clinical facilities, etc. In-state tuition is more expensive than some other "better" (obviously subjective) schools I've been accepted at. Also, the general feeling they gave me during application/interview that I'd be lucky to get in. Maybe I'm just a U of U hater, so I'm interested in everyone else's opinion. What did you guys like/find impressive about the U med school?

i felt the same way when i interviewed. it seemed like they kept harping on how great the new building is and didnt discuss the new curriculum or how they would actually integrate clinical activities into the first two years.

so i agree with you to an extent. there are schools though that accept students with low MCAT scores (average of 26 vs 30 in utah) who end up with doing above the national average on Step 1. For instance, in 2007 Morehouse school of Medicine (a historically black medical school ) had a 100% pass rate on step 1 but the U of U was at 89% with the national average being at 94%. in 2006 though the U of U was at 97%. so is each class getting worse as a whole or is the school becoming worse? i dont know the answer to that. i do agree that if you put in the time, you can achieve what you want. but i also think that there should be some recognition given to schools like morehouse who accept "less competitive" students and get them to succeed and be great doctors too.

anyways my point is that it is really hard to choose which medical school to go to, if you are lucky enough to have multiple acceptances. i am IS and have been accepted but with the rising tuition I dont know if I will be staying. plus I've never been big on snowboarding/skiing/snow since i was born on an island so who knows what i'll end up doing. :rolleyes:

2007 USMLE Step1– first time takers (Calendar Year)

U of U

89% (88/99) passed
[2006: 89% passed]
Mean Score = 212
[2006: 214]

Nationally
94% passed
[2006: 93% passed]
Mean Score = 222
[2006: 218]

From what I've seen (stats above) the U is steady at 89% for 2007 and 2006. Maybe in other years it has been different?

You are very right, though; if a student puts in the effort they can do well no matter where they go! I have a lot of friends who are at Utah and I know for sure that they are going to do extremely well.

U of U
89% (88/99) passed
Mean Score = 212

Nationally
94% passed
Mean Score = 222

From what I've seen (stats above) the U is steady at 89% for 2007 and 2006. Maybe in other years it has been different?

You are very right, though; if a student puts in the effort they can do well no matter where they go! I have a lot of friends who are at Utah and I know for sure that they are going to do extremely well.

thank you for the correction. :thumbup:

U of U

89% (88/99) passed
Mean Score = 212

Nationally
94% passed
Mean Score = 222

out of curiosity, where did you get this data? is there a centralized website that has this data for all schools, or do you have to go to each school's website and hope that they have it listed?

:)

thank you for the correction. :thumbup:

Oh and congrats on the acceptance!!

As for me, it turns out that I won't even get to make a decision about staying in Utah... I'm being forced to look somewhere else... :oops: Best of luck to the rest of you waiting!

Rejected, IS

out of curiosity, where did you get this data? is there a centralized website that has this data for all schools, or do you have to go to each school's website and hope that they have it listed?

:)

I don't really know of a central place that has all the goods, so it usually takes some searching around to find this kind of info, with the help of some of the other people here on SDN. :)

I got the info from the U of U College Council report from last year. The link is below (pasted from the second page of this thread).

Originally Posted by TeamZissou
Here ya go...

http://uuhsc.utah.edu/som/College_Co...uncil%2008.htm

Last edited:
I don't really know of a central place that has all the info, so it usually takes me some searching around to find this kind of info, with the help of some of the other people here on SDN. :)

I got the info from the U of U College Council report from last year. The link is below (found on the second page of this thread).

Originally Posted by TeamZissou
Here ya go...

http://uuhsc.utah.edu/som/College_Co...uncil%2008.htm

thank you!:)

I got an email today from the office of financial aid telling me that they need something for my financial file. I filled out FAFSA at least a month ago but that's all I've done. Apparently they need something else. But, it says to check by logging in. I can't log in because I don't have a UNID and then it says if I have a problem to email them but I have to use my UofU mail account (which I don't have). I called the admissions office but they didn't know why I got the message or how to get an UNID. Does anybody know how I go about getting a UNID or what I should do next? Thanks

I got an email today from the office of financial aid telling me that they need something for my financial file. I filled out FAFSA at least a month ago but that's all I've done. Apparently they need something else. But, it says to check by logging in. I can't log in because I don't have a UNID and then it says if I have a problem to email them but I have to use my UofU mail account (which I don't have). I called the admissions office but they didn't know why I got the message or how to get an UNID. Does anybody know how I go about getting a UNID or what I should do next? Thanks

I received the same email today. Your UNID is the number that was included in the title of the message, just replace the first 0 with a u. Your password is your birthdate (mmddyy) and you will be prompted to change it immediately after signing in. This is all of the advice I have because I did these things and it still wouldn't let me log into my umail account. I emailed the financial aid office but they haven't responded yet. May be you will have better luck.

Have you two already been accepted? I would think so with them asking for more financial info...

Have you two already been accepted? I would think so with them asking for more financial info...

No, I have not been accepted. I called the financial aid office today and the guy said that I received that email because my med school application is still in process and they are unable to process my financial aid application until I get accepted. It's not that I am missing any financial aid application material.

Status
Not open for further replies.