2013-2014 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for the essay question. PM me when it is available and I will update. GL all.

Members don't see this ad.

It says that there avg MCAT is a 34.9 and GPA is a 3.7, I have a 3.9 and 30 mcat. Obviously the mcat is the major concern, but a representative told me they don't have a cutoff. this would be a dream school. is it worth applying?

It says that there avg MCAT is a 34.9 and GPA is a 3.7, I have a 3.9 and 30 mcat. Obviously the mcat is the major concern, but a representative told me they don't have a cutoff. this would be a dream school. is it worth applying?

I'm no expert, but I would say it's going to be really tough for you to get in...but if it's your dream school, I think you should go for it anyway. What do you have to lose? I think that trying and failing is better than not trying at all. Just make sure you write a really good application and rock the interview, should you get one. MCAT re-write not an option?

Members don't see this ad :)
Retaking the mcat is going to be tough. From experience with standarized tests Im not good at these tests. I had a similar problem with the SATs. Knowledge wise I get the stuff down well and obviously since I scored a 30 I know how to take the test, but just something about tests like this cause me not to do well. Its not worth the risk of doing worse in my opinion. :scared:
I'm no expert, but I would say it's going to be really tough for you to get in...but if it's your dream school, I think you should go for it anyway. What do you have to lose? I think that trying and failing is better than not trying at all. Just make sure you write a really good application and rock the interview, should you get one. MCAT re-write not an option?

Retaking the mcat is going to be tough. From experience with standarized tests Im not good at these tests. I had a similar problem with the SATs. Knowledge wise I get the stuff down well and obviously since I scored a 30 I know how to take the test, but just something about tests like this cause me not to do well. Its not worth the risk of doing worse in my opinion. :scared:

I agree. I'm in the same boat.

Just received a secondary

same here. is the link working for you? mine doesn't seem to work

can someone post the link?

same here. is the link working for you? mine doesn't seem to work

Yep, I'm in.

http://osaf.med.cornell.edu

Prompts:

If you are not attending college during the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?
Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons; names are sufficient.

Seem like the same as last year.

No rolling admissions at Cornell, right?

No rolling admissions at Cornell, right?

That doesn't mean that they make all their decisions after all the interviews, though. From my understanding, most non-rolling schools still make admissions decions as they go (i.e. the "earlier the better" rule still holds), but just notify all applicants at the same time later in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone who received secondaries verified? Trying to decide if I should wait for verification before I add schools or not ..

Have you been verified by AMCAS already? I haven't gotten one yet :(

No verification, no secondaries.

Not true.

Some people have received secondaries despite not being verified.

If you haven't received one yet, it's probably due to all of the backlog and confusion regarding the AMCAS data release. I would relax for now.

Yep, I'm in.

http://osaf.med.cornell.edu

Prompts:

If you are not attending college during the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?
Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons; names are sufficient.

Seem like the same as last year.

:thumbup: Checked my email after seeing your post. Literally got secondary a minute ago. :laugh:

Hope to see you at Cornell interview day? :p

Is everyone who received secondaries verified? Trying to decide if I should wait for verification before I add schools or not ..

Not true.

If you haven't received one yet, it's probably due to all of the backlog and confusion regarding the AMCAS data release. I would relax for now.

Ah, that's my mistake; I thought the people who had "received" a secondary without being verified had just gained access via a link and those who had actually received a secondary were in the AACOMAS application system, which started sending out secondaries a while ago. General rule is though, no verification, no secondary, since the school won't even know you had applied to their school without having received the application from AMCAS.

:thumbup: Checked my email after seeing your post. Literally got secondary a minute ago. :laugh:

Likewise, received and hoping for an interview :thumbup:

Yes, it's a plan :thumbup:

Just submitted my secondary! Pretty easy one to start out with, which is nice.

Wait wot? I'm getting an error where it says my AAMC ID and birthday are not what they have, so I can't log in. WTF? I even double checked my main app to make sure my birthday was right.

OH LOL it's the numeric ID number, not my log-in name.

Also, does anybody know why they have 3 rows for the required classes when they state only two courses are required for each subject when separate labs are also NOT to be written?|
Oh and for year of our subjects, it's written as like 2010-2011 on our apps. Should we just write the one year it was taken since we can't put in a range? Also, wtf is up with course number? I can't fit my course number in there because mine is written on AMCAS as BIOLOGY 100 instead of BIO 100 so not enough space.

Last edited:
Wait wot? I'm getting an error where it says my AAMC ID and birthday are not what they have, so I can't log in. WTF? I even double checked my main app to make sure my birthday was right.

OH LOL it's the numeric ID number, not my log-in name.

Also, does anybody know why they have 3 rows for the required classes when they state only two courses are required for each subject when separate labs are also NOT to be written?|
Oh and for year of our subjects, it's written as like 2010-2011 on our apps. Should we just write the one year it was taken since we can't put in a range? Also, wtf is up with course number? I can't fit my course number in there because mine is written on AMCAS as BIOLOGY 100 instead of BIO 100 so not enough space.

Three rows are for quarter system. I just put the year I took it (ex. 2010, 2011, etc...). Course number I shortened when needed --> ZOOLOGY 151 to ZOO 151.

Not true.

yea I just got the GW one and I'm not verified. they must send some info to the schools before verification

For my writing intensive class, it's under COMP-LIT (comparative literature), and I almost shortened it to C-LIT before I realized haha

Reactions: 1 user
So, is WCMC automatic then? No numerical pre-screen?

anybody else having a problem with it saying that the secondary app is already submitted and under review? I haven't even see what the page looks like yet

anybody else having a problem with it saying that the secondary app is already submitted and under review? I haven't even see what the page looks like yet

There is no way it is under review yet. It is 545 on a Friday night in Manhattan, lol.

Is there no way to save the secondary as you work on it? I only see submit at the bottom.

Also if I have more than 3 courses that satisfy a requirement should I just pick out the ones where I got the best grade??

Is there no way to save the secondary as you work on it? I only see submit at the bottom.

Also if I have more than 3 courses that satisfy a requirement should I just pick out the ones where I got the best grade??

Submit saves it. It is officially submitted once you pay and do a couple more steps.

so, how many essays is cornell getting by Monday? Over/Under people. Lets make this fun.

I got the secondary invite via email but when I click the link the website doesn't load.. anyone else having this problem?

I just finished and submitted the secondary today! Good luck to everyone!

Could not be more pumped to write this!!

QUESTION: why only three slots for letter writers? If I'm submitting 4 or 5, do I just pick my best 3...??

Thanks so much :)

It's starting to worry me that I haven't received secondaries from schools that don't wait for verification, while everyone else seems to be receiving them. Someone feel free to ease my nerves?

It's starting to worry me that I haven't received secondaries from schools that don't wait for verification, while everyone else seems to be receiving them. Someone feel free to ease my nerves?

Don't worry, I haven't received anything either. I doubt that we were flat out rejected, unless the universe really is that cruel. Anyway, I keep telling myself that it has something to do with the weirdness going on at AAMC today (and in general). Also, I submitted mine pretty late (6/24), so maybe AAMC hasn't dispersed later applications yet or Cornell only sends out a certain batch everyday. Sounds like a few other schools also have had issues with connectivity to their servers. When did you submit?

Question - for the "Why WCMC" essay, did you discuss particular aspects of your application or interests that made you a good fit for Cornell, or mostly limited it to things about the school you like?

Don't worry, I haven't received anything either. I doubt that we were flat out rejected, unless the universe really is that cruel. Anyway, I keep telling myself that it has something to do with the weirdness going on at AAMC today (and in general). Also, I submitted mine pretty late (6/24), so maybe AAMC hasn't dispersed later applications yet or Cornell only sends out a certain batch everyday. Sounds like a few other schools also have had issues with connectivity to their servers. When did you submit?

Thank you so much for your response :) That would make sense. I submitted after you did.

Dear Cornell,
Class of 2010. Show me some love.
Love,
YankeeBean

Question - for the "Why WCMC" essay, did you discuss particular aspects of your application or interests that made you a good fit for Cornell, or mostly limited it to things about the school you like?

I figure your challenge and diversity essays pretty much already cover "why are YOU a good fit for cornell." That would make this question more of "why is CORNELL a good fit for you?"

Think I'm complete. When I log in, I get the message "Your Application has successfully been submitted and is under review by our admissions staff"

Hi Guys- if you had AP Credit for biology and are using an upper level bio for the requirement did you put both the AP class and the upper level bio when filling out the secondary?

good luck to all! Will definitely be on this thread often- Weill is my dream school!

Did you have your recs in already?

Yes, they're all in AMCAS. I'm waiting to assign them to schools until I get the secondary email, though, so I assigned 3 letters to Cornell yesterday afternoon.

does anyone know if we're allowed to have letters sent directly to the admissions office?

Did you happen to have applied last year? I got the same message.