You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did anyone NOT get a confirmation email after paying?
I got a confirmation email. They said that if you don't get one, call them.
EDIT: My application says, "Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation." Idk if this will get updated during the weekend :/
Last edited:
It says that there avg MCAT is a 34.9 and GPA is a 3.7, I have a 3.9 and 30 mcat. Obviously the mcat is the major concern, but a representative told me they don't have a cutoff. this would be a dream school. is it worth applying?
Is that average for applicants or matriculants? That's not terrible!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know what's going on....I went to their secondary page, and scrolled down to the bottom. Typed in my ID and Birthday.
And afterwards, it says "Your application has successfully been submitted and is under review by our admissions staff".
I didn't even fill out anything, and pay. What's going on? I am freaking out...
And afterwards, it says "Your application has successfully been submitted and is under review by our admissions staff".
I didn't even fill out anything, and pay. What's going on? I am freaking out...
I don't know what's going on....I went to their secondary page, and scrolled down to the bottom. Typed in my ID and Birthday.
And afterwards, it says "Your application has successfully been submitted and is under review by our admissions staff".
I didn't even fill out anything, and pay. What's going on? I am freaking out...
same problem here, I'm likely calling them tomorrow at some point
I submitted yesterday but still says incomplete. I'm assuming this is because it is the weekend.
same problem here, I'm likely calling them tomorrow at some point
I feel like this may be a problem reapplicants run into, because I am also a reapplicant this year after unsuccessful cycle last year
Let me know when you contact them! thanks!
Hello everyone. I want to put my Genetics, Biochem, and/or Molecular to satisfy my BIO prereq because I got A's in those vs. the freshman classes. Is anyone else doing that?
Also do they need labs
Espadaleader, what do you mean include them?
I took BIO 1 & 2 like everyone else with labs. I took genetics and molecular without labs though so I am questioning whether or not I should use them to fulfill the requirement
Hello everyone. I want to put my Genetics, Biochem, and/or Molecular to satisfy my BIO prereq because I got A's in those vs. the freshman classes. Is anyone else doing that?
I can't imagine it would matter; after all, your AMCAS GPA is the same. I feel like those entries are more for fulfilling checkboxes. Someone else feel free to correct me here if I'm speculating incorrectly.
Espadaleader, not every school has a lab attached to those kind of classes. it's not a problem, as long as you satisfied the science lab requirements with other classes. def include them
If we retook a pre-req, should we list the retake or the first attempt????
yeah, I think you have to. the first attempts might not affect your GPA, but retakes gotta be listed
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we retook a pre-req, should we list the retake or the first attempt????
yeah, I think you have to. the first attempts might not affect your GPA, but retakes gotta be listed
From page 40 of the instructions:
If no grade is on the transcript, no grade entry is required unless the course has been subsequently repeated or removed due to academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies. For the initial attempt of a repeated course, or for courses removed due to academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies, the transcript grade should be the original grade earned before the course was repeated, regardless of whether it appears on the official transcript or is included in your GPA. Failure to enter the original grade received for repeated courses can lead to returned applications, missed deadlines, and forfeited fees.
Is anyone complete yet? They still say I haven't submitted my secondary when I did. It does say it can take 24 hours though.
Is anyone complete yet? They still say I haven't submitted my secondary when I did. It does say it can take 24 hours though.
Just received a complete email a couple minutes ago.
Can someone please post the prompts if there are any?
Can someone please post the prompts if there are any?
Post #10
Can someone please post the prompts if there are any?
If you are not attending college during the upcoming academic year, what are your plans Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.
Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.
Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.
For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons; names are sufficient.
Post #10
If you are not attending college during the upcoming academic year, what are your plans Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.
Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.
Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.
For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons; names are sufficient.
Oh, thanks! I forgot that this thread already has two pages.
Hi
I was wondering if any Cornell medical students could share kind of qualities/activities Cornell looks for?
I was wondering if any Cornell medical students could share kind of qualities/activities Cornell looks for?
I am a bit confused about how to enter letters into the secondary, can you only add a total of three?
Do you enter your committee letter (by naming your school) and then add just two additional letters?
or
Do you not add the committee letter (because this will just be sent anyway) and then add three additional letters?
I ask because I have a committee letter and three additional letters. If anyone could let me know how they went about this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Do you enter your committee letter (by naming your school) and then add just two additional letters?
or
Do you not add the committee letter (because this will just be sent anyway) and then add three additional letters?
I ask because I have a committee letter and three additional letters. If anyone could let me know how they went about this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
I am a bit confused about how to enter letters into the secondary, can you only add a total of three?
Do you enter your committee letter (by naming your school) and then add just two additional letters?
or
Do you not add the committee letter (because this will just be sent anyway) and then add three additional letters?
I ask because I have a committee letter and three additional letters. If anyone could let me know how they went about this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Is your committee letter not a packet that contains all your other letters?
Is your committee letter not a packet that contains all your other letters?
Actually my committee letter is: the committee letter and two additional letters that I got from professors while I was in undergrad.
But I also had three other people send letters directly to AMCAS.
So basically I have 4 entries in AMCAS:
1. Committee (which has the two additional letters)
2. Additional letter
3. Additional letter
4. Additional letter
How should I list this on the Cornell secondary? Number 1, 2, and 3? Or will the committee letter be sent anyway, in which case I would list 2, 3, and 4.
First secondary I completed (As it was one of the first I received). Really excited
+1 😀
Good luck everyone!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have people been marked as complete?
Have people been marked as complete?
I have been complete since 07/01
Have people been marked as complete?
I was on July 1, I believe. Cornell is pretty quick 👍
Yeah, I had to call them.
For those of you who have finished the secondary, what does it say when you log into the secondary page? Mine says "Your Application has successfully been submitted and is under review by our admissions staff"
For those of you who have finished the secondary, what does it say when you log into the secondary page? Mine says "Your Application has successfully been submitted and is under review by our admissions staff"
Same, but I can't tell if they have all my LORs :/
I was on July 1, I believe. Cornell is pretty quick 👍
Yes they are quick. My status was changed to complete shortly after AMCAS received my committee packet. 👍
Same, but I can't tell if they have all my LORs :/
Ok that's why I was asking because neither my scores nor my LORs are in, so I was thinking maybe that's just an automatic status change and doesn't literally mean they're reviewing it.
just added this school on AMCAS
Welcome, it's a great school and a great place to live 👍😍
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to MSAR and Cornell's web site, 2 letter is the minimum. They don't specify a maximum number of letters, so I think the 3-letter maximum is a speculation. I sent 4 letters, for what it's worth. But to be sure, you may want to contact the school.I saw some comments about LOR and I am a little confused.
How many letters do they require? Is there a maximum?
On their website they say they require 2 from "teachers and supervisors in work, service or research".
They do say that you can also send other letters and that they "do not obviate the required letters of recommendation". So it is unclear to me whether there is a maximum or not. Some people on the forum seem to imply that there is a 3-letter maximum.
This is my be a n00b question, but I am also confused about how the process works. When I add Cornell to AMCAS, I have the option of adding letters there. I am assuming that I have to follow their directions at this decision point, but some people were talking about selecting the letters on the secondary. Am I missing something? Would I include all letters on AMCAS and then select which ones I want to be used on the secondary? Some insight into how this works would be awesome!
As for the letter selection on AMCAS and on the secondary, it goes like this: on AMCAS, you select which letters you want to *be sent* to a school, on the school's secondary, you specify which letters the school should *expect to receive* to complete your application (that's because often letters don't come at the same time, and the school needs to know when all of them are received). So, on AMCAS you should select the letters you want to be sent to Cornell, and on Cornell's secondary list the same letters.
Actually I emailed Cornell and they said they'd read and take into account all submitted letters
Hi
I was wondering if any Cornell medical students could share kind of qualities/activities Cornell looks for?
No one else seems willing to answer you, so I will.
Cornell is really great for independent learners as we have a lot of free time in the first year. We also have a lot of group and PBL type learning so teamwork and problem solving are valuable qualities. Leadership is also a big one.
If you have an interest in public/global health or research we have great programs and facilities for that.
Lots of my classmates have lives outside of medicine that are interesting (play instruments, professional sports, peace corp or teach america type of program alums, one or two army people etc.) If you are an interesting person, and are passionate about your ECs, it will help you. But then again, that would help you at any medical school.
Disclaimer: in the past I have gotten PM's from people basically rephrasing the secondary prompts and asking me to answer. I am very happy to answer questions, either here or via PM, about my school. I am NOT going to write your secondary for you. Although I do give those people credit for being creative about it...

invite!
just kidding!
just kidding!
