2013-2014 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else having problems with the link?
osaf.med.cornell.edu?
I just got the email

It's actually osaf-status.med.cornell.edu
Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad.

It's actually osaf-status.med.cornell.edu
Hope that helps!

Called admissions... application does not work in a library or school wifi... Firewall issues

Last edited:
I've actually been having trouble accessing the link anywhere this weekend. Was fine Friday afternoon, but came back Friday evening and the page wouldn't open in my home wifi, at school, or at a local coffee shop. Anyone else have this issue? Do they maybe do site maintenance on the weekend?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually been having trouble accessing the link anywhere this weekend. Was fine Friday afternoon, but came back Friday evening and the page wouldn't open in my home wifi, at school, or at a local coffee shop. Anyone else have this issue? Do they maybe do site maintenance on the weekend?

seems to be working fine now

Hey guys. Does Cornell only give out secondaries to people who have been status verified on their AMCAS?

AMCAS verified July 20th, Secondary App Weill Received 26th, Submitted 27th.

Good luck everyone.

Hey guys. Does Cornell only give out secondaries to people who have been status verified on their AMCAS?

I don't know if you need to be verified beforehand, but they give secondaries to all their applicants.

Anyone having problem with paragraph spacing in the secondary? Only shows up as 1 lump paragraph on the preview

Anyone having problem with paragraph spacing in the secondary? Only shows up as 1 lump paragraph on the preview
Leave a line between paragraphs? (I haven't filled out my Cornell secondary yet, but that's what Case suggests people do in their secondary.)

Does Weill Cornell give any advantage for Cornell undergrad students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Congrats too!

3.88/37 with heavy research. And turned my secondary in the first day I received it.

wow, that's amazing
cGPA 3.93
sGPA 3.95
MCAT 34
2 years of research in protein engineering, 2 years in developmental neurobiology.
and 1 year working in an ED in an underserved community as a scribe.

We're talking dream school here, man. Thank you for sharing. Hopefully, I'll be back on this forum freaking out over my own II

Interview invite here also! GPA>3.9 and MCAT is around their avg acceptance. Heavy research background with pub.

Last edited:
You should check to see if a user has an MDApps profile link under their username.

Thank you! I haven't become familiar enough with everything this site offers to know about the MDApps profile.

Interview Invite wohoooooo. I loved it when I visited! 4.0 GPA/ 37 MCAT. International student. I feel so fortunate to get so many interviews as an International. :)

Interview Invite this morning! Was not expecting to hear from them so soon; I'm beyond psyched! :)

wow, that's amazing
cGPA 3.93
sGPA 3.95
MCAT 34
2 years of research in protein engineering, 2 years in developmental neurobiology.
and 1 year working in an ED in an underserved community as a scribe.

We're talking dream school here, man. Thank you for sharing. Hopefully, I'll be back on this forum freaking out over my own II

Sounds like you have a great app. Best of luck!

uugghh I turned in everything extra early but my STUPID premed committee still hasn't uploaded my LOR. This is my dream school. This is so frustrating. :bang:

Congratz to everyone who got ii today! Sigh.

Also received an interview invite this morning! Congrats to all the rest of you that did!! :) :)

Congrats to everyone with an II! Anyone else going the morning of the 10th?

I am going morning 12th. Is there student hosting? Places to stay?

Dream school - interview meeeeee, though I'm numerically underqualified ..

Interview on Sept 11th! This is very important to me because I didn't make the cut in high school for Cornell, sob story aside, 3.6+ 30+

Wow Espadaleader you are CLEANING it UP. Congrats on all the interviews :)

Can any current students comment on housing accommodations? What are the dorms like? Are they affordable compared to other options? What's it like to share a kitchen with your entire floor?

Can any current students comment on housing accommodations? What are the dorms like? Are they affordable compared to other options? What's it like to share a kitchen with your entire floor?

In the first year you live in Olin Hall where you share a bathroom with one person and a kitchen with the whole floor. Most people get mini fridges and microwaves for their rooms. It's OK but not great and the pricing is affordable. I would not recommend living off campus unless necessary because there is so much bonding in the first year that happens in Olin and you feel left out.

In the years 2-4 you share an apartment in Lasdon House with 1-2 other people that you have selected. You each have your own room and share the bathroom and kitchen. This is pretty nice housing for NYC med student housing but since the rent goes up annually no matter what the general trend in real estate is you might want to look around to see if you find an apartment nearby that you like more. It's a hassle though and usually still pricier.

Couples housing is a lot trickier. It really depends on availability and sometimes it can get really tight now that more med and grad students have spouses/kids and the fact that they are in the process of doing construction and have not replaced the housing buildings they tore down yet.I know of a few people who had to look off campus because of shortages. I know many others who were able to get student housing so it's a toss up.

Are the individual floors restricted to the same gender, or are they male and female?

If I am interviewing at NYC in mid-October, can I send an "in the area" email to them right now? Or should I wait a little longer (say, beginning of september or mid-september) before sending it?

From last year's thread, it seems like they are quite receptive of "in the area" emails

Are the individual floors restricted to the same gender, or are they male and female?

The floors are male/female however the one person you are sharing a bathroom with is the same gender, so you only share a kitchen with people of the opposite gender.

In the first year you live in Olin Hall where you share a bathroom with one person and a kitchen with the whole floor. Most people get mini fridges and microwaves for their rooms. It's OK but not great and the pricing is affordable. I would not recommend living off campus unless necessary because there is so much bonding in the first year that happens in Olin and you feel left out.

In the years 2-4 you share an apartment in Lasdon House with 1-2 other people that you have selected. You each have your own room and share the bathroom and kitchen. This is pretty nice housing for NYC med student housing but since the rent goes up annually no matter what the general trend in real estate is you might want to look around to see if you find an apartment nearby that you like more. It's a hassle though and usually still pricier.

Couples housing is a lot trickier. It really depends on availability and sometimes it can get really tight now that more med and grad students have spouses/kids and the fact that they are in the process of doing construction and have not replaced the housing buildings they tore down yet.I know of a few people who had to look off campus because of shortages. I know many others who were able to get student housing so it's a toss up.

There's also a lot of rent-stabilized apartments and other cheap housing in the area, which ends up costing almost the same as the Cornell housing. Despite being on the Upper East Side, Cornell is sort of in a public-transportation no-man's land and living there is convenient really only if you work or study in the area (as I do). Unrelated, but somehow Razor scooters are popular, so in leu of other reasonable forms of transportation, you can always scoot around, and no one will give you a sideways glance.

There's also a lot of rent-stabilized apartments and other cheap housing in the area, which ends up costing almost the same as the Cornell housing. Despite being on the Upper East Side, Cornell is sort of in a public-transportation no-man's land and living there is convenient really only if you work or study in the area (as I do). Unrelated, but somehow Razor scooters are popular, so in leu of other reasonable forms of transportation, you can always scoot around, and no one will give you a sideways glance.

Umm....the 6 is on 68th and Lex...

Umm....the 6 is on 68th and Lex...

...and Cornell is on York. I know it sounds close, but walking Lex to third to second to first to york is actually a decent walk. Especially since most of NY is much closer to public transit. People (including our patients) complain about it all the time and the city is building a new subway on second avenue to solve this issue of upper east side transit congestion.

...and Cornell is on York. I know it sounds close, but walking Lex to third to second to first to york is actually a decent walk. Especially since most of NY is much closer to public transit. People (including our patients) complain about it all the time and the city is building a new subway on second avenue to solve this issue of upper east side transit congestion.

True..I do this walk everyday for work. I'd say it's more or less a 10 min walk.

Do they send secondaries to everyone who's verified or do they screen?

3.6 sGPA and 32 MCAT- do you think its worth applying? I have average ECs