2008-2009 Loyola Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"We realize that completing this form can take a considerable amount of time, and although it is not necessary to elaborate in great detail, please do your best to answer these questions thoughtfully. It is recommended that you use a maximum of 25 single-spaced lines for your response to each of the first seven questions. To designate paragraphs, please double-space. When printing your application, we ask that you use a standard size "font" (11 or 12)."

1. What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life.

2. Please provide information or experiences working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. What were they? and how did they affect you?

3. Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

4. How did you reach your decision to enter medicine? Describe your participation in any health care or other activities which reinforced your decision. (Please include any experience involving the care of others.)

5. Please describe any self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work.

6. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school.

7. Please use this space to bring the information contained on your AMCAS application up-to-date. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

-thanks to whatizadi :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didnt get this one yet. Anybody else waiting? I imagine its like Drexel where they have a long list of people they have to send it to, and they send them out in waves.

Thanks for the questions though.:)

got it on 8/11 at 2:30. i think they send it out in batches like most schools. btw, they screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt get this one yet. Anybody else waiting? I imagine its like Drexel where they have a long list of people they have to send it to, and they send them out in waves.

Thanks for the questions though.:)

Yes, I am waiting too.

Thanks for posting the questions jgberken.

Loyola definately screens.

For the essays does anyone know what's the word/character limit? Thanks!

I didn't get it either. Good to hear I'm not alone.

Character/word limits?

Someone said we have to type it and mail... and that the suggested limit was 25 lines.

"We realize that completing this form can take a considerable amount of time, and although it is not necessary to elaborate in great detail, please do your best to answer these questions thoughtfully. It is recommended that you use a maximum of 25 single-spaced lines for your response to each of the first seven questions. To designate paragraphs, please double-space. When printing your application, we ask that you use a standard size "font" (11 or 12)."
This is what it says according to whatizadi.
I haven't gotten this secondary either...just waiting patiently :rolleyes:

25 single spaced lines?! I guess I will start this beast now.

Members don't see this ad :)
It says that the 25 lines is a MAXIMUM. Clearly they do not expect to get every secondary with 25 lines for 7 essays. 20 lines worth of quality essays is so much better than 25 lines of bs.

Looks like it's time to start using size 12 font.

I just got mine.

Last edited:
It says that the 25 lines is a MAXIMUM. Clearly they do not expect to get every secondary with 25 lines for 7 essays. 20 lines worth of quality essays is so much better than 25 lines of bs.

yeah, buy 25 lines of quality is better than 20 lines of quality.

I just got mine.

Ok, can anybody else not access it because they can't find you in their system?

Put "00" in front of your amcas ID. it happened to me too.

I just got mine. Man, this secondary looks like a biatch. I don't even know if it's worth filling it out...

Does anyone else thing #4 is kinda ridiculous? I mean, isn't that what your personal statement is supposed to be?

It doesn't look so bad. All the questions have straightforward answers. Just answer the questions and watch your page fill up.

does anyone know what the requirements for letters of recommendation are? i have looked through the website and all it says is that letters are required... but there are no specific directions about what to send in.

Wuuuut? Are you POSITIVE they screen? If so, how stringently? Thanks duder.

Loyola definately screens.

For the essays does anyone know what's the word/character limit? Thanks!

I just got their secondary finally... This is my last one!

And they do screen. I would have to assume they screen just as much as every other school in their tier.

I got this one too.

*sigh*

:(

I'm so behind on secondaries. :scared:

Does anyone else thing #4 is kinda ridiculous? I mean, isn't that what your personal statement is supposed to be?

not necessarily

In other news, I have a question...."is recommended that you use a maximum of 25 single-spaced lines for your response to each of the first seven questions. To designate paragraphs, please double-space. When printing your application, we ask that you use a standard size "font" (11 or 12). "

so they want the entire answer double spaced? or just between paragraphs?

I just got Loyola's secondary today (as well as Drexel)...I'm kind of shocked. I figured with my numbers I wouldn't get past their prescreen. Is it just not that stringent? ... I got through VCW's too. Strangely, I didn't make it through EVMS's. Weird.

Anyway...looking forward to filling this one out. :eek: :laugh:

I just got Loyola's secondary today (as well as Drexel)...I'm kind of shocked. I figured with my numbers I wouldn't get past their prescreen. Is it just not that stringent? ... I got through VCW's too. Strangely, I didn't make it through EVMS's. Weird.

Anyway...looking forward to filling this one out. :eek: :laugh:

Loyola's screen isn't very tough at all. If you look through old mdapps profiles, it's just people with sub 3.0 GPAs and below 8's in every MCAT section (or so) getting screened out.

Sooo....what's #5 about? What if you haven't done any research? Does anyone know if that question is "optional"? Other than studying for the MCAT, I don't know what would be considered as independent study/education.

Sooo....what's #5 about? What if you haven't done any research? Does anyone know if that question is "optional"? Other than studying for the MCAT, I don't know what would be considered as independent study/education.

have you ever been in a class that has been so fascinating to you that you have gone above and beyond....maybe even after the course is over? Doing your own research, reading for you own knowledge...maybe it even changed your life? Ive been lucky enough to have such an experience, and thats what I am writing about.

I dont' see anywhere that any of the questions are optional.

Pay the fee before filling out the secondary? Thats odd.

Pay the fee before filling out the secondary? Thats odd.

haha, right??? At least you will be motivated to complete it now that you have already forked over 70 bucks! I hope to have 3 of 5 done by today (i am not answering the last two)

still waiting on this one.

i know how you feel jgberken....Its nerve wracking waiting for a secondary when other people are receiving it already. I'm still wiating (more like hoping) for UCSD, UCLA, UCSF, and Western U. :scared:

Loyola's screen isn't very tough at all. If you look through old mdapps profiles, it's just people with sub 3.0 GPAs and below 8's in every MCAT section (or so) getting screened out.

aw...i felt special for a second there. o well. :rolleyes:

have you ever been in a class that has been so fascinating to you that you have gone above and beyond....maybe even after the course is over? Doing your own research, reading for you own knowledge...maybe it even changed your life? Ive been lucky enough to have such an experience, and thats what I am writing about.

I dont' see anywhere that any of the questions are optional.

Yes, I suppose you're right. I was thinking too literally...

Fair enough! I just figured that my experiences wouldn't be momentous enough. It will have to do!

Still waiting....although it's probably a good thing since I'm still working on Rosalind's.

Still waiting as well.... hmmm....

This is getting annoying. I have two left and Loyola is one of them....

Can somebody tell me the LOR requirement for this school?
The directions given along with their supplemental are as follows:

1. A composite letter from a premedical advisory committee.

OR

2. A letter from your premedical or academic advisor, plus three letters from your professors (two of the three should be from faculty members in science disciplines). If you have no advisor, three letters will be acceptable.

There are different directions for transfer students and grad students...

I spoke to the admissions office today and they said that if a portion of your personal statement directly addresses one of the questions that it is fine if you just cut and paste.

I spoke to the admissions office today and they said that if a portion of your personal statement directly addresses one of the questions that it is fine if you just cut and paste.

seriously? that seems kind of odd. Whatever tho.

i knew the prescreen had to be easy...i mean, look at my numbers. anyway, i sent mine in the mail today (got it yesterday). ***crosses fingers***

ridiculous how I can get interview offer before some secondaries. just got this today, just waiting on UCD now.

Last edited:
Wuuuut? Are you POSITIVE they screen? If so, how stringently? Thanks duder.

If my memory serves correct, last years MSAR stated that they screen. I doubt that they screen heavily, I received their secondary yesterday.
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.