Tufts Cummings c/o 2015 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waaa waaah....alternate....

Members don't see this ad.

Same, Alternate, again. GRRRRRR... now who do i have to convince to not go to tufts so i can??

AGAIN?

Seriously?

SJB, I was hoping they'd let us in because a)we're awesome, and b)sheer persistence. Seriously. I hate being an alternate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you hate how they say congratulations on the letter?!?
hmm... i wonder how many of us alternates are there?

Don't you hate how they say congratulations on the letter?!?
hmm... i wonder how many of us alternates are there?

Well, at least 5 on here, right? SJB, seansie, evilcottonrat, phaedraeos, me...anyone else?

Dammit. Tufts is my top choice and I haven't heard from my other school.

does anyone know someone who got a rejection after an interview?
Im pretty sure they just make everyone an alternate. Im on to them.

I know! like Congrats your second best again. :(

Still hoping that this year the list moves along, all we need is, what, 5 people? to decide to not go to tufts and we can all get in! (sorry, I'm the eternally optimistic type :oops:)

Well, at least 5 on here, right? SJB, seansie, evilcottonrat, phaedraeos, me...anyone else?

Dammit. Tufts is my top choice and I haven't heard from my other school.

Tufts is my top choice as well, GAH, basically they are saying you have to wait longer. grrrr.

Same, Alternate, again. GRRRRRR... now who do i have to convince to not go to tufts so i can??

SJB, I was accepted to Tufts and will almost certainly be declining the invite (loved the school, but Grafton just won't work out for me). Hope that helps! Good luck!

OK all us alternates, chin up! I called admissions today to ask about a few things.

1. I wanted to apply to the DVM/MPH program, so that's out for now. Patty said that if I was granted admission and they hadn't filled up the program (some years they only have 2 or 3 people enrolled, versus the 6 they like to have), I could try to apply then.

2. I'm still going to hand in my financial aid forms. Although there might not be funds left, there's a chance that there will and I'm agonna need them!

3. Patty said that she had absolutely no predictions about how may people would be called off the waitlist. She said some years almost every alternate was made an offer, and that some years none were. Also, that there was almost no chance that we'd hear back before April 15th at the very earliest, because the admissions committee also had to made decisions on people who requested to defer for a year.

Good luck everyone!! We've made it this far!!

i am an alternate as well. So there are a total of six of us. I believe today was the alternate day. :(

OK all us alternates, chin up! I called admissions today to ask about a few things.

1. I wanted to apply to the DVM/MPH program, so that's out for now. Patty said that if I was granted admission and they hadn't filled up the program (some years they only have 2 or 3 people enrolled, versus the 6 they like to have), I could try to apply then.

2. I'm still going to hand in my financial aid forms. Although there might not be funds left, there's a chance that there will and I'm agonna need them!

3. Patty said that she had absolutely no predictions about how may people would be called off the waitlist. She said some years almost every alternate was made an offer, and that some years none were. Also, that there was almost no chance that we'd hear back before April 15th at the very earliest, because the admissions committee also had to made decisions on people who requested to defer for a year.

Are we suppose to continue to apply by the deadline for the DVM/MPH or are we suppose to wait until we get into Tufts?

SJB, I was accepted to Tufts and will almost certainly be declining the invite (loved the school, but Grafton just won't work out for me). Hope that helps! Good luck!

Aww Thanks SH! I feel so bad about having to hope others decline because I loved the place, but thanks for giving the others some hope! Good Luck to where you decide to go and I'm sure you will rock it! :)

Thanks! I was going to call them tomorrow as well with a few of my question and to let them know i'm definitely still interested on being on the wait-list. I also am mailing out my fin aid packet tomorrow just so they know i'm not giving up hope! :laugh: And the fact that I don't want to go through school on loans alone!

And Good Luck to all us Alternates!! :luck:

Are we suppose to continue to apply by the deadline for the DVM/MPH or are we suppose to wait until we get into Tufts?

Patty says wait! If there are still spots available when we get accepted ;), we can try to apply then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rats - here I was hoping for acceptances after I dropped off the technological planet for 15 hours.....

Regrets & sympathies! (My letter said Congrats....now I need to make sure I didn't misread it :() Do not give up hope! I'm thinking that, for as many they might overaccept, people will decline in favor of their IS. Don't give up hope & please some to Tufts in the fall! (PLEASE PLEASE!!!)

On a side note: I do not have a dastardly hematoma or other such things. I've just been potentially diagnosed with migraines:laugh: Got my first CAT scan :D The ER was indeed an experience so, even though I was there for....a veryyyyy long time - I will still be going to Tufts this fall! (No giving up any spots here sorta unfortunately?)

On a side note: I do not have a dastardly hematoma or other such things. I've just been potentially diagnosed with migraines:laugh: Got my first CAT scan :D The ER was indeed an experience so, even though I was there for....a veryyyyy long time - I will still be going to Tufts this fall! (No giving up any spots here sorta unfortunately?)

:eek: KAYDUBS!!!!! I hope your ok!!!!! My goodness! hopefully soon, we will all be able to diagnose each other's problems! hope you get some nice meds for your migraines and your in tip top shape for the fall!!

I got waitlisted as well. I would have preferred a rejection! Just end the waiting for us! And it doesn't help that in the letter it basically says very few people get called of the waitlist.

And to make matters worse, I am short one english class for Tufts, which I was going to take online if I got in. But now I don't think its worth taking the class, since I probably won't make it off the waitlist, but it would suck to get called off the waitlist and be missing that credit... Oh well. Tufts would have been my first choice as well.

I also called Patty today to fill in a bit more information in addition to what Phaedraeos found out.
We will pretty much be on the wait list until April 15th rolls around and they get a final tally of the class (so don't expect to hear something for another 2 weeks or more after that so that the admissions committee can meet and decide). They do over accept seats, but just by a bit, I didn't get a real number. They did reject a few people after interviews (so not all people who were interviewed were accepted or wait-listed). They interviewed 275 people and their class size is 95. If people defer their enrollment, then they will also call people off the wait-list to fill that spot. And Finally, she said that we could hear all the way up to August 26th to be called off the waitlist. That would be missing 4 days of class which they deem acceptable to be able to make up.

Patty also suggested calling and making an appointment with Laura to go over your application, the earlier the better.

Hope this helps answer a few of your questions! :D

Got my snail mail acceptance today!

Do the interviewers write a note/sign everyone's acceptance letter? I thought that was a really nice personal touch. :)

Hey SJB and Whyevernot55,

If you don't mind me asking since you guys were alternates last year what did you do to improve your application this year?

If you don't mind me asking since you guys were alternates last year what did you do to improve your application this year?

When I had my file review last year with Laura, she told me that the BIGGEST thing I could do was improve my GPA - she told me that even doing more to get more experience, etc, wasn't as important. My GPA is my weakest point. I have killer experience, amazing recommendations, and high GRE scores, but a low GPA. After 8 years in undergrad classes (non-trad!) changing it is REALLY HARD, but I did well in the upper level bio classes I took since then. I also continued getting more experience, though the majority of mine is with the SA clinic I've worked at for nearly 4 years. I also re-worked my essays, and added recommendations.

*shrug* My GPA is my weakest point. Not much I can do about it now, but I know it's the reason I can't get past a waitlist! :rolleyes:

Pretty much the same as Whyevernot55, I also had to improve my GPA. Since I was graduated that spring, I became non-matriculated into a graduate program in biomedical science at a local med school (definitely a plus over a community school). Rewrote my essays, make them more like a resume, expand on your experiences and make yourself sound *fabulous!* :cool: haha. I also had to do my GRE again because, standardized exams are horrible. I didn't improve much, which is probably why I'm still wait-listed. My recommendations were strong, but she also wanted to have them updated over the next year to keep them current. I'm probably going to call up Laura soon to have my folder re-evaluated this year as well. (hopefully get me off this wait list ;))

Bonaparte: Congrats!!!! That is really nice that your interviewers signed it, definitely another great plus by Tufts :love:

Nice, bonaparte! Have you joined FB group (as well as friended me? ;))

Alternates: that blows. Huge. Just deep breaths until April 15th. But, seriously, I really want you all to be a part of my class. Sincerely truly! (Come on, those who are accepted but don't really want them....)

SJB: Thanks for including the numbers. It keeps everything in perspective. Also, the girl who gave my tour told us our class size may increase a bit (every year up to ours, the size has been increasing) so our class might even break 100 :eek:)

Which would be so great for alternates!! Do they rank you by #'s??
:biglove::biglove:

Patty told me that the class size is 98 this year. not that it makes a big difference but hey that could be three of us. =)

I also called Patty today to fill in a bit more information in addition to what Phaedraeos found out.
We will pretty much be on the wait list until April 15th rolls around and they get a final tally of the class (so don't expect to hear something for another 2 weeks or more after that so that the admissions committee can meet and decide). They do over accept seats, but just by a bit, I didn't get a real number. They did reject a few people after interviews (so not all people who were interviewed were accepted or wait-listed). They interviewed 275 people and their class size is 95. If people defer their enrollment, then they will also call people off the wait-list to fill that spot. And Finally, she said that we could hear all the way up to August 26th to be called off the waitlist. That would be missing 4 days of class which they deem acceptable to be able to make up.

Patty also suggested calling and making an appointment with Laura to go over your application, the earlier the better.

If it makes anyone else feel better, I'm 99% sure I will also be declining my acceptance-just waiting for the official letters in the mail.

Good luck to all of you!:love: Stay positive!:xf:

Patty told me that the class size is 98 this year. not that it makes a big difference but hey that could be three of us. =)
Damn, that's a big difference from the previous years. Guess they really need the money ;)

Thanks! That does make a big difference! I was actually going through my email from tufts and saw that they had said 98 seats in one of them and hoping to get 280 interviewed. I was hoping that Patty was just trying to make it a "pleasant surprise" when 98 where finally admitted. :p

Ehkehfemal: Thanks for the opening! Good luck at where you decide to go! :rolleyes:

Kaydubs: They don't rank the alternates, if an opening comes, then the admissions committee reevaluates all those alternates before offering admission. Hopefully we will get a few good-news calls!! :luck:

So i was checking out the stats for the previous years and it seems like they are accepting more OOS than IS. In the 2013 class it was 50% IS and in the 2014 class it was 33%.

Can I just say...before I got my denial from Tufts :)( :( :( :() I got an email detailing the vaccination protocol for students and I thought...IS THIS GOOD NEWS?!?! Or...do they just send it to all applicants? I got my denial within weeks and knew the answer :(

Such a tease!!

Last edited:
ECR: I was talking to Patty during my interview and she said yeah, the state dropped their funding another million this year, so they had to yet again reduce the IS spots and accept more OOSers. She also said she had no idea what the numbers are until they find out the funding and finances and whatnot, so she couldn't tell me how many ISers they'd take at that point.

ECR: I was talking to Patty during my interview and she said yeah, the state dropped their funding another million this year, so they had to yet again reduce the IS spots and accept more OOSers. She also said she had no idea what the numbers are until they find out the funding and finances and whatnot, so she couldn't tell me how many ISers they'd take at that point.

I know schools are supposed to take a certain percentage of their IS students. But, if you think of the whole: "Run schools like businesses..." the more OOSers, the more money. I don't think of Tufts that way, but it's true that the numbers may be up in the air.

Side noteL I called and withdrew my applications yesterday. The only place who told me I needed to email as well was UPenn.

Nice, bonaparte! Have you joined FB group (as well as friended me? ;))

I actually don't think I'll be going to Tufts (I kinda feel bad about this.. they were so nice and it was such a a lovely school). It's also a hard decision considering I want to go into wildlife med (their wildlife clinic is so beautiful :eek:)

Well, here's to another spot for an alternate! :D

Can I just say...before I got my denial from Tufts :)( :( :( :() I got an email detailing the vaccination protocol for students and I thought...IS THIS GOOD NEWS?!?! Or...do they just send it to all applicants? I got my denial within weeks and knew the answer :(

Such a tease!!

Had that last year! UGH It got my hopes up so much and then blah. gotta get them eventually anyway i guess.

I was surprised they get much funding because they are a private school. But most schools are upping their OOSers because of lack of funding nationwide.

Side noteL I called and withdrew my applications yesterday. The only place who told me I needed to email as well was UPenn.

This gave me a heartattack, for a second I thought you were withdrawing from tufts! :eek: I had to read it a second time to make sure everything was ok. lol :laugh:

I actually don't think I'll be going to Tufts (I kinda feel bad about this.. they were so nice and it was such a a lovely school). It's also a hard decision considering I want to go into wildlife med (their wildlife clinic is so beautiful :eek:)

Well, here's to another spot for an alternate! :D

Gah! you guys are dropping like flies! Where are you going, if I might ask? Best of Luck!!

This gave me a heartattack, for a second I thought you were withdrawing from tufts! :eek: I had to read it a second time to make sure everything was ok. lol :laugh: !

Chill, SJB :D You will see me in the fall. Admissions actually emailed me to let me know my deposit arrived.

I think many OOS-ers (maybe even ISers) are dropping if they got into their #1. Woo, SDN! Living the dream :biglove: And, that just leaves spots for alternates ;)

SJB, we have some nice weather here in Maui, Come visit :D

SJB, we have some nice weather here in Maui, Come visit :D

Epic jealously happening right now. :rofl:I was teased with one day of beautiful 70 degree weather last week before it returned to the 40s. grrrr At least its above freezing now so I can't complain! :)

Did she say how many were on the alternate list? (I'm an alternate too. I imagine there's at least 50 if not more...?)

Did she say how many were on the alternate list? (I'm an alternate too. I imagine there's at least 50 if not more...?)

Nah, she wasn't about to divulge any numbers besides the desired class size. she wouldn't say by how much they over-accepted, or how many were on the wait-list. You can get rough numbers (275 interviewed - 98 Accepted Seats = 177 students split between over accepted, wait-listed, and rejected post-interview) I didn't ask how many people were rejected after the interview, but she may tell you that if you call her, which helps get a better number. She said they only over-accepted by a bit. But a "bit" could be 5 or 25 students.

I just turned down my acceptance at Tufts...so there's a little bit of hope---should make someone happy!

I just turned down my acceptance at Tufts...so there's a little bit of hope---should make someone happy!

Wow! Where are you going? What led you to make the choice?

I am now having MASSIVE NERVES over my IS interview, UC Davis. I am in love with Tufts, I totally want to go to Tufts, I got accepted at Tufts... and my husband's life would be totally uprooted if we moved to Massachusetts. So I am going to do my best on my Davis interview... but WAAAAH I WANT TUFTS...

Wow! Where are you going? What led you to make the choice?

I am now having MASSIVE NERVES over my IS interview, UC Davis. I am in love with Tufts, I totally want to go to Tufts, I got accepted at Tufts... and my husband's life would be totally uprooted if we moved to Massachusetts. So I am going to do my best on my Davis interview... but WAAAAH I WANT TUFTS...

University of Wisconsin---it's my IS school, it's a comparable program, with the added bonus of more elective options (so more equine opportunities), and MUCH less expensive.

University of Wisconsin---it's my IS school, it's a comparable program, with the added bonus of more elective options (so more equine opportunities), and MUCH less expensive.

Nice! Congratulations! :thumbup:

Save your heart palpitations! What's going on Tufts peeps?? I know most of us are meeting one another on FB but don't let SDN go by the wayside!!

What's up, ya'll? How are my alternates (particularly Whyever & SJB) holding up? Is anyone eagerly awaiting for the dreaded email of JUBOOM(Jubilation-doom)?

I just miss everyone. I don't want those the OSU people to have all the fun on their school thread.....;)

:biglove: GO TUFTS!!! :biglove: What's our mascot anyways??? Can I nominate a dairy cow??

Yeah, its Jumbo. In fact they have Jumbos actual tail in the library on the main campus. (The rest of his body got burnt in a fire a long time ago).

Save your heart palpitations! What's going on Tufts peeps?? I know most of us are meeting one another on FB but don't let SDN go by the wayside!!

What's up, ya'll? How are my alternates (particularly Whyever & SJB) holding up? Is anyone eagerly awaiting for the dreaded email of JUBOOM(Jubilation-doom)?

I just miss everyone. I don't want those the OSU people to have all the fun on their school thread.....;)

:biglove: GO TUFTS!!! :biglove: What's our mascot anyways??? Can I nominate a dairy cow??

lol, Just sitting and waiting so far. :sleep: I put my deposit down at Purdue so in the event Tufts doesn't call me up with good news I'm still going somewhere. In the mean time, I'm trying to bulk up my resume and experience to get a job for the summer and show Tufts I still want them!!

I'm glad to see a people are getting their first choices and sad that they wont be going to Tufts. But, maybe this will open the door for us alternates to be called up! :)

Nice approach, SJB. I more or less told them I wanted to come there and would transfer 2nd year if they accepted me :)

lol, Just sitting and waiting so far. :sleep: I put my deposit down at Purdue so in the event Tufts doesn't call me up with good news I'm still going somewhere. In the mean time, I'm trying to bulk up my resume and experience to get a job for the summer and show Tufts I still want them!!

I'm glad to see a people are getting their first choices and sad that they wont be going to Tufts. But, maybe this will open the door for us alternates to be called up! :)
Jumbo? MYAHHHHHH???? (I'd google....but I'm busy with SDN right now....)

I believe the mascot is Jumbo the elephant.

Any accepted students going to the Accepted Students Day March 30th? Or also, any Tufts vet students planning to be around that day?