2012-2013 Florida Atlantic University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I have question about this school since the MSAR doesn't have any information on it yet.

What are the average MCAT/GPAs of applicants that matriculated into this school?
How many OOS applicants matriculated in the previous year?

Members don't see this ad :)
11-12 Accepted immediately, received scholarship, withdrew after being accepted to UMiami (in state)

I have question about this school since the MSAR doesn't have any information on it yet.

What are the average MCAT/GPAs of applicants that matriculated into this school?
How many OOS applicants matriculated in the previous year?

For the 2011 matriculants, the average cumulative GPA is 3.7, science GPA is 3.61, and MCAT is 31.3 (VR, 9.8; PS, 10.4; BS, 10.9).

Twelve OOS students matriculated.

Source: http://med.fau.edu/medicine/admissions/#MCAT

What made you decide UMiami over Florida Atlantic University?

I went to UM as an undergrad, I will be the 4th in my family to attend the medical school, UM is established, and the faculty is the best in all of florida. FAU was my back up school, UM was my no. 1. In the end it was not a hard decision.

I went to UM as an undergrad, I will be the 4th in my family to attend the medical school, UM is established, and the faculty is the best in all of florida. FAU was my back up school, UM was my no. 1. In the end it was not a hard decision.

I am in the same boat now. My dad went to UM for medical school and my #1 is UM and then FAU

They said they are keeping it at 64 for a while.

11-12 cycle I got in right after the interview. One thing about FAU that is awesome is they tell you a week after your interview their decision. I interviewed December 1st and got the acceptance call December 7th. I really liked the small class size, the faculty were super approachable, and the students were awesome and seemed to love school. The reason I didn't go there was mostly due to the full tuition (28k/year) I received from FIU in Miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also WorldChanger just to give you an idea, I wasn't verified in AMCAS until 8/15 (pretty late). I applied from a Florida state school (hint: go Ospreys) with a 34R (12/10/12), 3.65 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, and a double major (philosophy and biology) if you need to know anything let me know.

Cheers!

Also WorldChanger just to give you an idea, I wasn't verified in AMCAS until 8/15 (pretty late). I applied from a Florida state school (hint: go Ospreys) with a 34R (12/10/12), 3.65 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, and a double major (philosophy and biology) if you need to know anything let me know.

Cheers!

All eyes are on you sir...:thumbup:

Does anybody know anything about the curriculum at this school ? Any plus or minuses that anyone would like to talk about?

Small class size, Boca is nice, integrated curriculum, very approachable faculty and students...

I applied here too. I am not a FL resident, but I have so much family in Florida I want to eventually end up there...so I figured why not give it a try! Sounds like a good school with a small class size.

Thats good to know... Anybody else? A current or future student Maybe?

Future student here. Super approachable admissions staff and faculty members who were genuinely interested in the applicant rather than the numbers. Great hospital affiliations. After speaking with several students whose opinions I trust, it's apparent that the goal of the faculty is to not only provide a high quality education, but an enjoyable medical school experience. Plus, FAU is VERY scholarship friendly (non-need based included) :)

Do you have a specific question? I could probably be more helpful than just rambling on about random points. Best of luck!

Future student here. Super approachable admissions staff and faculty members who were genuinely interested in the applicant rather than the numbers. Great hospital affiliations. After speaking with several students whose opinions I trust, it's apparent that the goal of the faculty is to not only provide a high quality education, but an enjoyable medical school experience. Plus, FAU is VERY scholarship friendly (non-need based included) :)

Do you have a specific question? I could probably be more helpful than just rambling on about random points. Best of luck!

I am just looking to get peoples thoughts on the school thats all...

Alright, so I'm a current M2, and although I normally just lurk, I have about 3 hours to kill and I decided to make an account and contribute-so here are my thoughts on CES COM-went to UF undergrad

Reasons I chose FAU initially:

1. Big Time Scholarship-was determined to go to the least expensive school in FL (only applied to FL schools) I didn't really know anything or care about med school curriculums at the time (pretty stupid...) Every doctor I've talked to (including my uncle who is faculty at Hopkins-went when it was cheap and he was from MD) has told me that school rankings don't matter 99% of the time-maybe if you want to be the dean at Harvard or something... obviously a debatable subject

2. Location 30 minutes away from my brothers family and by the coast (lived most my life in St. Augustine) Obviously proximity to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and right by I-95

3. Small class size-unlike undergrad where I wanted to get in, get my A, and get out, I wanted an environment that was friendly and engaging and that would encourage me to treat medical school like a full time career etc as opposed to a USMLE prep book that I could read in my bedroom

4. Track record-I probably wouldn't have gone to FAU if it was truly a new school, but most of the faculty have been around since around 2004 and the USMLE test scores (I'm sure they've told you lol-often higher than Miami main campus) speak for themselves. Obviously there was still a little risk versus going to a school like UF, but well worth it. Plus, most doctors have told me that while the school can help, it really comes down to the individual, and that residencies, fellowships, employers etc can tell who the "stars" are based on dean's letters etc

NOW, a few of the reasons why I am glad I chose FAU-phew...

1. Small class size!!- It's obvious to me now that this is crucial, and probably the most distinguishing benefit at FAU. Pretty much everyone knows each other and are very friendly. A lot of us actually like being at the medical school because our classmates are so awesome to be around. Plus, I need to be at school to make sure I don't miss out in the trade talks for our fantasy football league... IMHO people at our school are much more relaxed and calmly focused than the premeds I was around at UF. (I can't speak for other med students, but I would guess the same holds true) We have tons of space, and nice lounges etc. This is only a hypothesis, but I would guess the reason that the Miami students did better in Boca (despite having lower admission credentials at least for the first few years of existence) was that they worked together and spurred each other on, and that they received more attention-faculty:student ratio etc

2. Curriculum I really like the systems-based curriculum. I don't know if I would remember much from histo or embryology if I took them for a few week block... I feel like we are exposed to the important subjects over and over again. The clotting cascade has probably come up 5-10 times already in 1 year. During the first semester we had a broad overview of the basic stuff-biochem, immunology, genetics, microbio, etc and it was a ton. Luckily, a lot of it gets touched on again as we move into the system blocks, and you get a steady exposue to histo slides, radiology, anatomy etc as you're developed a background understanding. I really can't imagine learning it any other way. The clinical exposure is great as well. It is a little overwhelming at first, but over christmas break and at the end of the year, it pays off to be able to show your friends and family how to perform aspects of the physical exam and to be able to tell them about interesting clinical experiences (honoring HIPAA of course!). My preceptor is always telling me it's crazy how much we know in our first year-that he didn't do anything like this until his 3rd year. I guess when his friends asked him what med school was like, he started reciting the krebs cycle... Anyways, overall, the level of engagement and interaction is awesome and it really gives you a break from the monotony that 1st year is traditionally all about-lectures and books. Lastly, I love that it's pass/fail. This is coming from someone that hasn't gotten a B since music class in middle school. (Ironically I play several instruemnts :) I love the fact that we are beyond grade school... this really isn't about grades-it's about molding yourself into a capable professional. There are still ways to distinguish yourself e.g. honors, grades during 3rd and 4th year (which are way more important than 1,2), USMLE, and most importantly the dean's letter/letters of rec. Med school is so personal that quantitative measurement is only a small part of it. The faculty knows who is performing well overall and I am confident that that will be plenty for residency programs! (Assuming you don't fail the USMLE or something) The schedule is pretty good, there were a few crazy weeks that could have been better scheduled, but we have tests every 3-5 weeks for the most part, which is nice. (not too stressful of a schedule)

3. Faculty-I didn't know what to expect from the faculty, but it turns out there are some extremely smart, qualified, and capable faculty at FAU. Also, the faculty:student ratio is ridiculous. Our dean, Dr. Bjorkman (former dean at Utah), and the student affairs dean Dr. Servoss are as sharp as they come and know what it takes to develop a med school. Dr. Hensen, the curriculum dean, is one of the nicest and most receptive persons I know. She is all about improvement and she listens to us almost too much! (in life there's always someone that will bitch about something) The other student affairs dean Dr. Markowitz is about the coolest guy I know, and he and other faculty give great advice that goes beyond the classroom-he's really looks at the big picture of life and helps students gain perspective and enjoy medical school when it might not be so fun. Some of the faculty have had crazy awesome careers and we're lucky to have them. Hell, Dr. Brickman has done pretty much every surgery in the book!

4. The X Factor-you're probably thinking what the hell is this guy talking about lol. It's cool and exciting being part of a new school. We start groups all the time and get tons of support. The first week of orientation, I was randomly picked to go to a huge benefit dinner and give a little talk etc. Students are always getting featured in articles and on the news. You meet the most interesting people that live in Boca and are affiliated with the med school in some way. I never know who I'm talking to-some of us were chosen to go to an art gallery benefit, and I ended up talking to this funny old dude for about 30 minutes-it turned out that he had donated something like 7 million dollars! You get the feeling that Boca and Southern FL were dying for this school-rich people coming out of the woodwork to talk to med students and support the school. The local physicians are very excited and some of them sponsor our interest groups as well as come in for guest lectures etc.

NOW THE NEGATIVES: I consider myself pretty objective, and there are negatives to pretty much everything... I'm generally pretty easy going about this stuff, but I can tell what my classmates like and don't like.

1. Participation+Curriculum A + or a - depending on your perspective, but there are definitely more required activites here than at some other med schools. Class is not required, but a few of the faculty really like it when people show up. Usually between 25-45 students go to class, depending on the day etc. There isn't all that much class, a few hours each morning. A few afternoons a week, there are lectures for Foundations of Medicine, which is the clinical-based course (with a few other things like evidence-based medicine, ethics, etc) which are generally mandatory. PBL is definitely mandatory, about 2 hours, 3 morning a week. There is preceptorship 3 hours 1 day a week, and sometimes we have a patient and doctor come in to discuss the most recent PBL case 1 hour on fridays. We have standardized patients for 30 minutes or so after a lecture dealing with the physical exam 1 afternoon a week. If you go to everything it is about 25-30 hours per week, but a portion of students don't come to the morning lectures and watch them on 2x speed. Everything is recorded and available online. We also have a couple of programs that are new, like SAGE and interprofessional stuff. SAGE entails a med student, a nursing student from the fau program, and a social work student meeting with an appointed person from Abbey Delray living community a few times over the year to discuss their life, medical history, prescriptions, living conditions, DNR/living will stuff. Some classmates really liked SAGE as a good patient experience etc, some thought it was a waste of time. It was very difficult to individually schedule with nursing/social work students. I think they are making SAGE an M2 experience from now on. One of our faculty members, Dr. Joseph Ouslander is like a titan in the field of geriatrics, which is pretty big in Boca... and he developed this program as well as the interprofessional program. The interprofessional program thing is just a few sessions with the nursing and social work colleges discussing our roles, getting to know each other, doing some "role play" stuff, suggest improvements to the medical field etc. It's pretty BORING, but only about 2 or 3 afternoons a year. The theory is good, but I don't think it accomplishes much in its current form.

PBL is another controversial topic, but most people like it alot. It takes some getting used to, as you could learn the material (almost all of which is covered at some point in lecture) faster in a lecture, but that is not supposed to be the point. It's really about the process and working together as a team. You work through a case over a few days, and as a group determine areas of understanding (learning objectives) that need further investigation in between sessions. Each member presents a topic in a word or ppt document to the group. During the case you record the facts, generate hypothesis, note info about the patient or anything that you would like to know, etc. It's supposed to get you to start thinking like a doctor-how to observe details, what to expect and what information is missing, what tests would you order, what ethical dilemmas may arise, and how do I as a doctor fill in gaps of understanding on the fly. I would say just come in with a positive attitude and it will be enjoyable and you really will learn how to deal with different personalities by working through the cases. There is a facilitator BTW for each group of 8 students.

Parking-last year we had nice cozy spots right by the med school-we were the envy of every other student at FAU. Unfortunately, the school is growing and the parking lot is not, and they don't have enough spots to sustain that, and we are losing the spots... It's gonna be every man/woman for themselves, but luckily the lot is empty in the morning when most of us get there... it will be tough if you skip class and try to come in at lunch time... might have to park in the garage and walk/shuttle over

OVERALL-really glad I picked FAU, I know it's going to move up the ranks in the coming years, especially if they keep the class size at 64. Great location, lots of excitement, developing more and more research and collaboration with Scripps, Cleveland Clinic, and other leaders in the field, some amazing experienced faculty as well as up-and-comer faculty, and the coolest M2's around. Of course there are a few logistical quirks because the faculty are trying a few new things that they think will improve the curriculum adopted from Miami but they are quick on their feet.

OH yeah... USMLE stuff- I haven't personally cranked up for that yet... maybe I should review some stuff this summer... but we did take a simulated practice test at the end of M1, which contained old questions from the NBME question bank related to material from our M1 courses, and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The questions were much more straightforward than some of our normal test questions, and the information for the most part was superficial compared to our lecture material. It seems like most of the info (i've peaked in the kaplan book a few times) is covered in lecture. The lectures go beyond the scope of the USMLE for sure... some of the faculty will give us a "USMLE" alert when a "buzz words" come up. Anyways, to be clear, this was NOT a real practice USMLE, but were questions (maybe 150 or so) selected by our faculty that were for the most part exposed to (even if it was one word on 1 slide). I scored a 90 (i have a pretty good longterm memory) on it with 0 preparation and I know at least a few people who scored in the 80's. I think the average was around 70 or so, which I think is pretty good considering no one prepared for it and some of the questions were really tiny details from almost a year ago. We get like 6 weeks off to prepare for it in the spring anyways, so I wouldn't worry too much about the USMLE.

Cheers!

Great to hear about a UNF student getting some acceptance love!

Anyone else having trouble accessing the secondary? I can create a password to log in and access instructions for the secondary, but there is no link to the actual secondary - it just says "secondary application not available."

EDIT: Never mind - it's working now.

Last edited:
Prompts for this year's cycle are:

In the event that you are accepted to two or more medicals schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (1200 characters limit)

----

Select an experience unrelated to science or medicine that you've had in each of the categories below. Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience and/or what was the most important thing(s) you learned about yourself from doing it. You may write about a new experience or one listed in your AMCAS application. An experience may be used more than once. Leaving categories blank will not make your application incomplete. Limit your answers to the spaces provided.

1. A community service experience (unrelated to science or patient care). (1200 characters limit)

2. An employment experience (a job you held for pay unrelated to science or medicine). (1200 characters limit)

3. A position of responsibility/authority (in which others depended on you for direction). (1200 characters limit)

4. A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, e.g. art, dance, music, computer programming, web site design, writing). (1200 characters limit)

5. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (1200 characters limit)

6. Sports, travel, pets, hobbies: Choose one of the following and write about it as you did in 1-5 above: a) a sport in which you participate or follow); b) your most memorable travel experience; c) pet(s) for which you provided care; or d) an avocation (most important thing you do for distraction). (1200 characters limit)

-----

Describe any compelling reason you have to attend our College of Medicine. If none, leave blank. (1200 characters limit)

Prompts for this year's cycle are:

In the event that you are accepted to two or more medicals schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (1200 characters limit)

----

Select an experience unrelated to science or medicine that you’ve had in each of the categories below. Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience and/or what was the most important thing(s) you learned about yourself from doing it. You may write about a new experience or one listed in your AMCAS application. An experience may be used more than once. Leaving categories blank will not make your application incomplete. Limit your answers to the spaces provided.

1. A community service experience (unrelated to science or patient care). (1200 characters limit)

2. An employment experience (a job you held for pay unrelated to science or medicine). (1200 characters limit)

3. A position of responsibility/authority (in which others depended on you for direction). (1200 characters limit)

4. A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, e.g. art, dance, music, computer programming, web site design, writing). (1200 characters limit)

5. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (1200 characters limit)

6. Sports, travel, pets, hobbies: Choose one of the following and write about it as you did in 1-5 above: a) a sport in which you participate or follow); b) your most memorable travel experience; c) pet(s) for which you provided care; or d) an avocation (most important thing you do for distraction). (1200 characters limit)

-----

Describe any compelling reason you have to attend our College of Medicine. If none, leave blank. (1200 characters limit)

Thanks for this

Anyone else getting really frustrated because the secondary keeps erasing your essays?!?!?! GRRRR!!!

Anyone else getting really frustrated because the secondary keeps erasing your essays?!?!?! GRRRR!!!

FIU has the same interface as FAU and that just happened to me. ALWAYS write your responses in MS Word then just copy/paste. I don't believe in "smart" applications anymore.

Is it inappropriate for mentioning that FAU is my top choice in the "Why FAU" question?

Also, in the first prompt describing "what will help you choose if you are accepted to multiple schools", is it kind of obvious if I highlight the things that I am looking which FAU offers? I don't want them to think I am basically just telling them what they want to hear.

Thanks!

Is it inappropriate for mentioning that FAU is my top choice in the "Why FAU" question?

Also, in the first prompt describing "what will help you choose if you are accepted to multiple schools", is it kind of obvious if I highlight the things that I am looking which FAU offers? I don't want them to think I am basically just telling them what they want to hear.

Thanks!

Yes of course, but you need to have some good reasons that show you have done your homework on the school and have thought about it. Maybe the small class size is how you like to learn...etc. try to pick things that would be unique to FAU. Make sense?

In the section about other schools, don't bash other schools!!! but maybe talk about how the integrated curriculum is something unique to very few schools and the the small class size means you'll learn better...etc

Sorry id write more but I'm about asleep...

Did you guys fill out each box under "life experience outside of science and medicine", they tend to get a little repetitive?

Does anyone think it would be ok to copy the responses from the AMCAS sections in work/activities for any of the questions? For example, the employment question or certain activities that I have already mentioned in amcas? The character count was 1325 as opposed to only 1200 in this one, so obviously I'd have to cut stuff out, but regardless, anyone have thoughts on this?

Does anyone think it would be ok to copy the responses from the AMCAS sections in work/activities for any of the questions? For example, the employment question or certain activities that I have already mentioned in amcas? The character count was 1325 as opposed to only 1200 in this one, so obviously I'd have to cut stuff out, but regardless, anyone have thoughts on this?

I definitely would not do that. I would just maybe write about the experience from a different perspective.

Is anyone else having an issue with the pre-req section? It says: " If the lecture and lab courses were separate, enter the information separately in the spaces provided." However, I'm not seeing any additional spaces, and it won't let me enter any courses separately. Help?! This is the only thing stopping me from submitting.

Is anyone else having an issue with the pre-req section? It says: " If the lecture and lab courses were separate, enter the information separately in the spaces provided." However, I'm not seeing any additional spaces, and it won't let me enter any courses separately. Help?! This is the only thing stopping me from submitting.

There should be a little comments box at the bottom of the page, I just copy pasted all my labs into that.

Yes of course, but you need to have some good reasons that show you have done your homework on the school and have thought about it. Maybe the small class size is how you like to learn...etc. try to pick things that would be unique to FAU. Make sense?

In the section about other schools, don't bash other schools!!! but maybe talk about how the integrated curriculum is something unique to very few schools and the the small class size means you'll learn better...etc

Sorry id write more but I'm about asleep...

This is what I am doing

'Preliminary Review Completed'. What does that mean? :eek:

My status page says "preliminary review completed" as of yesterday (8/1) around 5pm. Has anybody heard anything from them?

My status page says "preliminary review completed" as of yesterday (8/1) around 5pm. Has anybody heard anything from them?

I am not complete yet still waiting on a lor... The only thing I got was an email tell me to send in that lor

My status is secondary completed as of 7/7

Good luck to you all! Hopefully I will see some of you there next year :)

PM me if you have any questions, I would be happy to help!

I got the same thing yesterday (on a Sunday?) Looks like from last years thread we won't hear back till sept regardless

Edit: I got preliminary review complete

For the last essay: "Describe any compelling reason you have to attend our College of Medicine. If none, leave blank."

Would it look bad to leave this blank? I'm not sure how compelling they want your reason to be.

For the last essay: "Describe any compelling reason you have to attend our College of Medicine. If none, leave blank."

Would it look bad to leave this blank? I'm not sure how compelling they want your reason to be.

If you were on the adcom and saw someone leave it blank, what would that tell you?

Just write something.

Definitely write something. Preferably something that you find to be unique about the school and what it has to offer.

Definitely write something. Preferably something that you find to be unique about the school and what it has to offer.

The word "compelling" threw me off...

I don't have a compelling reason lol, I just think the schools a good fit. Oh well.

If you were on the adcom and saw someone leave it blank, what would that tell you?

Just write something.
The intent of that question was to identify applicants with a compelling "humanitarian need" to attend our medical school, not a place to simply restate your interest. We'll restate the question to make it more clear. The great majority of applicants have left the question blank.

Bob Hinkley
Associate Dean for Admissions
Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.