2012-2013 Florida Atlantic University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm freaking out! :scared: I submitted my secondary already and it's under preliminary review right now. I noticed the questions that I marked yes are now no for some reason like claiming FL Residency. I checked my app so many times before submitting it, don't know what happened. I only have one submission update left and tried calling the office but no one was there. AH! can someone help?

Same thing happened to me, I emailed them and they said that they go by amcas for whether or not they consider you in state or oos... So don't worry!

Members don't see this ad.

Hrm, this thread is awfully quiet. I've only been complete at FAU for a month but I was really hoping to hear from FAU, hopefully after the accreditation people leave they give my app another look.

:crosses fingers:

Hrm, this thread is awfully quiet. I've only been complete at FAU for a month but I was really hoping to hear from FAU, hopefully after the accreditation people leave they give my app another look.

:crosses fingers:

I have been complete since August. No word.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update sent with mid term grades and a few zingers that express my continued interest. I am hoping to stir them up a bit and get them to look over my forgotten application again.

Has anyone received an interview invite since the initial batch in mid-Sept? Looking at the thread, it looks like communication has been dead since then.

Last edited:
Has anyone received an interview invite since the initial batch in mid-Sept? Looking at the thread, it looks like communication has been dead since then.

I received an interview invite via email on 10/16. First available date was 11/27!

Accepted as well! I was at my nova interview and 10 minutes before I got called in, I saw I got accepted here lol crazy!

So I just got put onto the alternate list for the 2013 entering class... I am extremely discouraged and kind of feeling like I have no shot. Does anyone have any advice on how I can increase my chances of being accepted off the wait list? also, does anyone know how many students were accepted from the wait list last year? I interviewed October 1st (I was invited really early) and my MCAT is only a 28 but other than that I have research experience, leadership experiences, a 3.7 GPA, and lots of letters of recommendation. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
My status just changed to preliminary review completed. Anyone know what the next step is in terms of statuses?

So I just got put onto the alternate list for the 2013 entering class... I am extremely discouraged and kind of feeling like I have no shot. Does anyone have any advice on how I can increase my chances of being accepted off the wait list? also, does anyone know how many students were accepted from the wait list last year? I interviewed October 1st (I was invited really early) and my MCAT is only a 28 but other than that I have research experience, leadership experiences, a 3.7 GPA, and lots of letters of recommendation. :(

Don't be discouraged!! Honestly I think the majority of the current M1 class came off the waitlist. I haven't talked to everyone, but everyone I have talked to about it was off the waitlist.

There's not much you can do to increase your chances, the waitlist is ranked so you've already gotten a score. However, I would suggest sending in an update after this semester.

Just try not to think about it, it could be awhile before you hear. There probably won't be many people declining acceptance offers for months to come. FAU doesn't do the double acceptance deal that most schools do, so the waitlist is longer but the chances of getting in off the waitlist is higher than other schools because of that. There is someone in our class who got the call the day before our white coat in orientation because someone decided med school wasn't for them half way through orientation, so never lose hope!!

If your meant to go to this school it will happen, I promise!

Last edited:
My status just changed to preliminary review completed. Anyone know what the next step is in terms of statuses?

Next step is interview invite. Could happen tomorrow, could happen in months, it's different for everyone. Just try to relax and have fun until then!!!

Last edited:
thank you so much I really appreciate it! I will be patient and hope and pray haha! It makes me feel better though that this wait list is not like a list they put you on just to make you feel better lol.

I just got emailed today for an II, the only available date was dec 11 but they said they'd open up 2 additional dates. I was complete since July and had preliminary review back in the beginning of september.

got an ii today =) excited!

any tips for the interview?

Does anyone know how I should go about withdrawing my application? Do I contact the admissions office directly? I don't see any option for it in the application portal.

Hello,

My status changed to In Final Review. Do anyone know what comes next?

My status also changed to "In Final Review." I looked at previous threads and it seems like no one has gotten this before, or if they did then no one checked to see. Total speculation, but it seems like it would imply either a rejection or an interview coming soon.

11-12 cycle I got in right after the interview. One thing about FAU that is awesome is they tell you a week after your interview their decision. I interviewed December 1st and got the acceptance call December 7th. I really liked the small class size, the faculty were super approachable, and the students were awesome and seemed to love school. The reason I didn't go there was mostly due to the full tuition (28k/year) I received from FIU in Miami.

Hi all! New member here.

A quick response after an interview is always welcome to put an end to some serious nail biting. I heard back via email 11/6/12 about an interview, and I'm scheduled for 12/11/12!

Anywho, would you mind letting all of the hopefuls know what your interview experience was generally like?? Do you have any advice??

Much appreciated!!!

I interviewed a few weeks ago on 10/23 and I thought it was great - really exceeded my already high expectations. The students were really nice and so helpful, really wanted to sell the school to me!
The wait time is definitely different than last year's cycle though - we were told we would hear back 11/7 (two weeks after) but then got an email saying that they needed to reschedule for 11/14 (aka today :scared:) so don't necessarily expect to find out within a week.

The administration, students, and everyone seemed just so well-organized and made the school seem like it had many more years of running under its belt. You can tell how close knit the community is too and how students help each other out. Seems like truly a "small liberal arts medical school" to me with the sense of community and relationships students have with their professors.

I interviewed a few weeks ago on 10/23 and I thought it was great - really exceeded my already high expectations. The students were really nice and so helpful, really wanted to sell the school to me!
The wait time is definitely different than last year's cycle though - we were told we would hear back 11/7 (two weeks after) but then got an email saying that they needed to reschedule for 11/14 (aka today :scared:) so don't necessarily expect to find out within a week.

The administration, students, and everyone seemed just so well-organized and made the school seem like it had many more years of running under its belt. You can tell how close knit the community is too and how students help each other out. Seems like truly a "small liberal arts medical school" to me with the sense of community and relationships students have with their professors.

Thanks so much for your quick response! I am really looking forward to this (my first!) interview, mostly based on all of the positive opinions from everyone on this thread!

I'm a native of South FL (and still have my residency) but have been out-of-state for undergrad and for work. I'm applying to several other FL schools and am hopeful, like everyone else, for at least one acceptance! That would be amazing. This process is so long and arduous...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for myself and for everyone else--good luck, guys! :)

of course! i'm not an expert on it or anything but if you have any more questions about my experience you can definitely PM me. I am from Boca Raton and will be visiting the school again while I'm home for Thanksgiving because I just got accepted via email! I'll get another good look of the school then and can report back :)

of course! i'm not an expert on it or anything but if you have any more questions about my experience you can definitely PM me. I am from Boca Raton and will be visiting the school again while I'm home for Thanksgiving because I just got accepted via email! I'll get another good look of the school then and can report back :)
That's AWESOME!!! CONGRATS!!

I'll be thinking of some questions for you haha :)

Does anyone who has interviewed here this year want to bless us all with a rundown of the interview day? Or even maybe some (or all) of the questions that you were asked in the interviews?

Does anyone who has interviewed here this year want to bless us all with a rundown of the interview day? Or even maybe some (or all) of the questions that you were asked in the interviews?

As a current MS1, you can never know the questions an interviewer will ask. In fact, going into an interview with predetermined responses can only hurt you because you are entirely dependent on them. Do some research on normal interview questions online and of course know everything that was in your primary application (as inconsistencies are red flags). Have an idea of what you are going to say, be yourself, don't brown nose too much, and hope you don't have a gigantic pimple on your nose the day of the interview.

I interviewed here last week and it's really not a stressful set up. Dr. Hinkley welcomes everyone and makes it clear that none of the interviewers are out to pressure you. Then you sit through a few powerpoints about the school and then have lunch with current students. Then 2 interviews, 30 minutes each. Finally a tour and a spiel about financial aid stuff.

My interviewers were very nice and told me they were an "advocate" on my behalf to the Admissions Committee. So prepare like you would for any other interview, know your Primary and Secondary front to back so you aren't thrown off if they ask you to talk about something you did as a freshman. The first interview is all about things on your application--experiences/volunteer stuff, etc. The second interview is a "behavioral" interview where the interviewer has a list of questions that go like this "Describe a time when you _______ and how did you react to it?" So for instance, "Describe a time when you saw someone doing something wrong and how did you handle it?" Things like that.

Don't be nervous. Be you! That's the point. Getting to know you a bit better. :thumbup:

I interviewed here last week and it's really not a stressful set up. Dr. Hinkley welcomes everyone and makes it clear that none of the interviewers are out to pressure you. Then you sit through a few powerpoints about the school and then have lunch with current students. Then 2 interviews, 30 minutes each. Finally a tour and a spiel about financial aid stuff.

My interviewers were very nice and told me they were an "advocate" on my behalf to the Admissions Committee. So prepare like you would for any other interview, know your Primary and Secondary front to back so you aren't thrown off if they ask you to talk about something you did as a freshman. The first interview is all about things on your application--experiences/volunteer stuff, etc. The second interview is a "behavioral" interview where the interviewer has a list of questions that go like this "Describe a time when you _______ and how did you react to it?" So for instance, "Describe a time when you saw someone doing something wrong and how did you handle it?" Things like that.

Don't be nervous. Be you! That's the point. Getting to know you a bit better. :thumbup:

Hmmmm I think I know who you are. Good luck on Wednesday when we find out! :luck:

I have been with the "In final Review" status for about a month. Have anyone has this status and what comes after it?

Thanks

6:00pm could not come sooner.

Placed on the alternate list here 2 wks ago, pretty bummed since I thought I had decent stats and both my interviews went well. Does anyone know what the waitlist movement was like last cycle?

Also for those waitlisted: does the admissions office tell you roughly where you fall on the alternate list?

I have been with the "In final Review" status for about a month. Have anyone has this status and what comes after it?

Thanks

I've been "In final review" for a month as well, so far for me, a whole lot of nothing. Disappointing.

hey guys, is there a facebook page for the the fau com class of 2017???

Got an II on Friday...OOS. Submitted secondary back in July

Was wondering if any current students could answer a few questions.

1. Does FAU give you a computer at orientation? Is it a halfway decent computer? When they gave us a tour at FIU, the students pointed out the IT office and said we'd be spending a lot of time there since the computers were terrible.

2. Where do most students live? Do students move (or plan to move) after 2nd year to be closer to the North or South cluster of hospitals?

3. How well does the class include married students? Do spouses ever hang out at outside functions?

Was wondering if any current students could answer a few questions.

1. Does FAU give you a computer at orientation? Is it a halfway decent computer? When they gave us a tour at FIU, the students pointed out the IT office and said we'd be spending a lot of time there since the computers were terrible.

2. Where do most students live? Do students move (or plan to move) after 2nd year to be closer to the North or South cluster of hospitals?

3. How well does the class include married students? Do spouses ever hang out at outside functions?
1. Yes, you get a new Lenovo computer during the first or second day of orientation. For me, the computer works just fine. I only load school stuff on it (no music, pictures, etc.) and use my Mac for everything else. The only annoying thing is that IT has a lot of restrictions for what you can/can't install. There is typically someone from the COM IT staff who is available to help you with whatever they can if needed.

2. Most students live off-campus in Boca Raton. There are a few students who commute from Ft. Lauderdale (~10+ miles) every day, in addition to a few others who travel from either Delray or Deerfield Beach (~5 miles north or south of campus). The dorms, from what I've heard, are very nice, but are overpriced, even for South Florida. Boca is relatively expensive area to live in compared to others around the state/country, but your financial aid package does allow you to live in a comfortable apartment while still having the ability to do things in your spare time. There are plenty of options to chose from.

For the 3rd year, students have just started picking their hospital clusters. I know that some are planning to move, while others are not. I'm an M1 and have only heard from a few people so it's difficult for me to accurately answer your question. Maybe an M2 can answer that...?

3. Spouses/Significant others are included really well. My girlfriend has always felt included when we go out with my classmates (happy hours, etc.). I personally think this has a lot to do with the small class size.

I hope this helped!

Thanks for the reply gatorgrad12.

I interviewed here this past week. I was wondering, are there still open seats in the class of 2017 or are we interviewing for a waitlist placement? I guess another way of saying it, how many acceptances have been given out?

I have the same question as beachbum87, are there really any open seats still left at this point?!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Sorry, but I'm not sure how many acceptances have been given out yet. I'd be happy to answer any other questions about the program though. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.