2012-2013 UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

2. If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year.

3. Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you ever been charged or convicted of a criminal offense? Are there any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer is yes, please specify the details.

4. If you applied as a non-resident (other than NJ), please let us know if you grew up in NJ, attended school in NJ, have parents who reside in NJ, work in NJ, etc.

5. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

6. Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS.

7. In the next series of questions, you will reflect upon experiences, activities or accomplishments that demonstrate each of these pre-professional competencies. Your responses will be limited to one paragraph and will include:

• The situation where you demonstrated the competency
  • Your actions and resulting consequence
  • What you learned as a result
  • Pre-professional Competencies
  • Integrity and Ethics
  • Reliability and Dependability
  • Desire to Learn
  • Service Orientation
  • Social Interpersonal and Teamwork Skills
  • Cultural Competence
  • Resilience and Adaptability

8. Is there anything which you would like to share to clarify something in your application?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No love for UMDNJ-RWJMS?
I'm applying MD/PhD here because the MD/PhD program here is amazing.

Just received the secondary. For the question about disciplinary action / criminal charges, are we supposed to just rewrite what we wrote on the AMCAS app? Or just copy and paste it? Seems very redundant to me. 1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA). 2. If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year. 3. Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you ever been charged or convicted of a criminal offense? Are there any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer is yes, please specify the details. 4. If you applied as a non-resident (other than NJ), please let us know if you grew up in NJ, attended school in NJ, have parents who reside in NJ, work in NJ, etc. 5. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests. 6. Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS. 7. In the next series of questions, you will reflect upon experiences, activities or accomplishments that demonstrate each of these pre-professional competencies Your responses will be limited to one paragraph and will include: The situation where you demonstrated the competency Your actions and resulting consequence What you learned as a result Pre-professional Competencies Integrity and Ethics Reliability and Dependability Desire to Learn Service Orientation Social Interpersonal and Teamwork Skills Cultural Competence Resilience and Adaptability 7. Is there anything which you would like to share to clarify something in your application? Edit: Sorry, I have no idea why but I cannot add spaces between the questions for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the secondary. For the question about disciplinary action / criminal charges, are we supposed to just rewrite what we wrote on the AMCAS app? Or just copy and paste it? Seems very redundant to me. 1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA). 2. If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year. 3. Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you ever been charged or convicted of a criminal offense? Are there any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer is yes, please specify the details. 4. If you applied as a non-resident (other than NJ), please let us know if you grew up in NJ, attended school in NJ, have parents who reside in NJ, work in NJ, etc. 5. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests. 6. Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS. 7. In the next series of questions, you will reflect upon experiences, activities or accomplishments that demonstrate each of these pre-professional competencies Your responses will be limited to one paragraph and will include: The situation where you demonstrated the competency Your actions and resulting consequence What you learned as a result Pre-professional Competencies Integrity and Ethics Reliability and Dependability Desire to Learn Service Orientation Social Interpersonal and Teamwork Skills Cultural Competence Resilience and Adaptability 7. Is there anything which you would like to share to clarify something in your application? Edit: Sorry, I have no idea why but I cannot add spaces between the questions for some reason.

Did you receive the secondary by email? I applied in early June, and I know the applications just got sent out yesterday, but I have not received my secondary yet. Looking at what you included for the questions, it seems like a lot to write. The one paragraph limit is a little vague. They don't give a number of words or characters instead?

I received the secondary at 9:02 am EST and was verified ~9:30 am EST on 6/7. There is a box underneath each question for the responses; I'm able to fit about 750 characters or 150 words into each one.

Hope this helps!

As it is presented, #7 is slightly confusing.
The secondary prompt is same as it was last year and I prefer the way #7 is shown last year.
7. In the next series of questions, you will reflect upon experiences, activities or accomplishments that demonstrate each of these pre-professional competencies
Your responses will be limited to one paragraph and will include:
The situation where you demonstrated the competency
Your actions and resulting consequence
What you learned as a result

Pre-professional Competencies
Integrity and Ethics
Reliability and Dependability
Desire to Learn
Service Orientation
Social Interpersonal and Teamwork Skills
Cultural Competence
Resilience and Adaptability

What are the character limits to these prompts?

What the hell is Service Orientation? and Cultural Competence? Ability to cope with different cultures? These are so weirdly worded.

2. If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year.

When they say "line by line" do they mean bullet points? Like

January 2011: Took a voluntary health leave of absence
February 2011: Attended treatment at inpatient hospital program
etcetc...

Last edited:
Very poorly executed secondary application... NJMS is much nicer. Also I feel like the preprofessional competencies lend themselves to a bunch of BS answers... oh well. Definitely top three most annoying secondaries for me.

Do you know if disobeying a traffic control device is considered a criminal offense?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the form by which to pay online?? I follow all the instructions, tried on multiple computers/browsers, but after I sign in and click the payment link, it takes me to a page which says "Application Type" from a drop-down menu, but then the drop-down menu is blank and due to that I can't select anything, nor does the page move on when I click continue.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the form by which to pay online?? I follow all the instructions, tried on multiple computers/browsers, but after I sign in and click the payment link, it takes me to a page which says "Application Type" from a drop-down menu, but then the drop-down menu is blank and due to that I can't select anything, nor does the page move on when I click continue.

Yep, same exact problem. I think its a website issue, hoping it will be fixed tomorrow.

Should I even bother doing this secondary if I'm out of state?

If I stand a small chance being from NY state I'm not gonna put time into this one.

"Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? " For this question, does it mean in general during my four years of college or specifically during my senior year? I'm confused by the fact that it says "year" and not "years". "If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year. " Would a gap year between my graduation at college and (hopefully) starting medical school count as a gap? Thanks

Got an email telling me that Im complete today. Submitted monday night. Just wanted to let you guys know because the whole emailing them secondaries made me nervous that they might not get it.

Heres to hoping interview invites arent too far away :xf:

Let me get this right because #7 is really confusing. Are we to write 3 paragraphs (or 1 big paragraph) addressing each of the following:

• The situation where you demonstrated the competency
  • Your actions and resulting consequence
  • What you learned as a result

And are we to incorporate the pre-professional comps in the paragraph we write?
And also, would a break year after graduation and medical school be considered as a break in education? thanks.

Got an email telling me that Im complete today. Submitted monday night. Just wanted to let you guys know because the whole emailing them secondaries made me nervous that they might not get it.

Heres to hoping interview invites arent too far away :xf:

Dang I submitted back on July 2nd...no email about being complete!

Can anyone tell me what the hell "service orientation" means?? I'm waiting to submit this secondary but I can't figure out what they are asking here...

edit: from last year's thread I suppose it means like community service or volunteering etc...

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the hell "service orientation" means?? I'm waiting to submit this secondary but I can't figure out what they are asking here...

edit: from last year's thread I suppose it means like community service or volunteering etc...

just saw your post in another thread about speaking gujarati and i wondered if you were from nj .lol

Last edited:
Dependability and Reliability?

This may be the worst secondary in the country.

I'm complete today (LORs finally in) and was wondering when if anyone who is complete has been offered an interview?

What is everyone writing for integrity and ethics? I was thinking of writing about an incident that I had witnessed when I was a teaching assistant about some students violating academic integrity..would that be sufficient? I dont know how else to write an experience for it

What is everyone writing for integrity and ethics? I was thinking of writing about an incident that I had witnessed when I was a teaching assistant about some students violating academic integrity..would that be sufficient? I dont know how else to write an experience for it

your not alone...

this is a very tough question for me as well considering i'm not big on ethics (this is not to say i do unethical things).

This is from the AAMC website and I think helps to clarify the secondary:

1. Integrity and Ethics: Behaves in an honest and ethical manner; adheres to ethical principles and follows rules and procedures; resists peer pressure to engage in unethical behavior and encourages others to behave in honest and ethical ways.
2. Reliability and Dependability: Consistently fulfills obligations in a timely and satisfactory manner; takes responsibility for personal actions and performance.
3. Service Orientation: Demonstrates a desire to help others and a sensitivity to others’ needs and feelings; demonstrates a desire to alleviate others’ distress.
4. Social, Interpersonal, and Teamwork Skills: Demonstrates an awareness of others’ needs, goals, feelings, and the ways that social and behavioral cues affect peoples’ interactions and behaviors; adjusts behaviors appropriately in response to these cues; treats others with respect and demonstrates a respect for diverse populations.
5. Desire to Learn: Sets goals for continuous self-improvement and for learning new concepts and skills; assesses own strengths and weaknesses; solicits and responds appropriately to feedback.
6. Resilience and Adaptability: Demonstrates tolerance of stressful or changing environments or situations and adapts effectively to them; is persistent, even under difficult situations; recovers from setbacks.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/mr5/about_mr5/64636/innovation_lab.html

8. Is there anything which you would like to share to clarify something in your application?

Did anyone write anything for this question? And if so, what did you talk about? I don't understand what we may need to clarify.

Invite half hour ago! Woohoo! Right next to my undergrad

Invite as well! Complete 7/5

Available interview dates: 9/28, 10/19, 10/26

Invite as well! Complete 7/5

Available interview dates: 9/28, 10/19, 10/26

Congrats guys... being complete on the 5th is beyond impressive. Dannnggggg :cool:

Hopefully I hear back soon, I was complete mid July!

I'm confused at this secondary. I just e-mailed them my secondary. How do we know that they even received it or what our status is in any means?

I'm confused at this secondary. I just e-mailed them my secondary. How do we know that they even received it or what our status is in any means?

they send you an email telling you you're complete. But yeah other than that...not really any way to check on you status

Guys out of curiosity (I don't have an MSAR book), how many students last year got interviews for RWJ and how many of those were accepted. Also, is it true that once you get an interview, your academics, MCAT and everything else will not be looked at again? One final thing, can anyone here explain their interviewing method to me?

Guys out of curiosity (I don't have an MSAR book), how many students last year got interviews for RWJ and how many of those were accepted. Also, is it true that once you get an interview, your academics, MCAT and everything else will not be looked at again? One final thing, can anyone here explain their interviewing method to me?

about 400 but they only have about 1200 applications In state.

out of state is 2000 applications with about 50 interviews.

Interview Invite!! Complete 7/13.

3.38 cgpa, 3.47sgpa, 4.00 smp gpa, 35S, IS

Does anybody know how many of those interviewed got accepted last year? (not matriculated)
I can't find that information anywhere.

Does anybody know how many of those interviewed got accepted last year? (not matriculated)
I can't find that information anywhere.

I think that if they interview approx 400 IS, they would accept at least 200 of those for a class of 100. It might even be more since a state school is bound to lose a bunch of people to private schools.

Interview invite this morning, MSTP applicant! Date is 9/28 if anyone's trying to plan ahead. I was complete 7/11.

Congrats !

I'm applying MD/PhD here as well. I saw in the MD/PhD invite thread someone who had been complete on July 17 got invited as well. They're probably not interested in me :(.

Congrats !

I'm applying MD/PhD here as well. I saw in the MD/PhD invite thread someone who had been complete on July 17 got invited as well. They're probably not interested in me :(.

They still have plenty of time to invite you for the 9/28 date, so I wouldn't worry. Also it's so early in the season that trying to assign any rhyme or reason to it is pretty much pointless.

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
has anyone received an II that was complete mid/late july?

I was complete 7/12 and got an invite 8/13

Status
Not open for further replies.