2020-2021 Rutgers (Robert Wood Johnson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree! And medical school curriculums are changing at every school every few years anyways from what I've seen in my interviews. I think my perception of RWJMS, at least from my interview day and from talking to the current students I know there, is that the environment is a pretty chill one and people are collaborative. There will always be negatives with each medical school program, and those are important to consider as well. I think for me at least, I just had a feeling that I would thrive at rwjms the best. A lot goes into deciding which schools, but the changes in the curriculum also aren't deal breakers for me. This might be an unpopular opinion, but it feels like some people on this thread are putting down RWJMS as a weird flex or something LOL o_O
that or they're on the waitlist trying to sway ppl in a different direction. lmaooo

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
that or they're on the waitlist trying to sway ppl in a different direction. lmaooo
Oh, I'm accepted. I just have a lot of insight into the current state of the curriculum and school. I'm actually disappointed because it was one of my top choices and I wanted to go here. It would have saved me a lot of $, but I know it would fare me worse in the longterm. But if its your only acceptance, @NoEyeEyeGuy, I say go for it :)

• Haha
Oh, I'm accepted. I just have a lot of insight into the current state of the curriculum and school. I'm actually disappointed because it was one of my top choices and I wanted to go here. It would have saved me a lot of $, but I know it would fare me worse in the longterm. But if its your only acceptance, @NoEyeEyeGuy, I say go for it :)
That's great! why are you still on this thread LOL. You've repeated like 5 times now that you got into a better school and that you're going there. Just want to put it out there that although it's good advice to say that if you got into a better school that's more expensive you should go there is kind of a privileged statement. Not everyone has an extra $20k to spend per year and some people prefer to stay close to home for personal reasons. If that's not that case for you, that's great

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think other people who are still considering this school/would love to go here, want to hear you think out loud about why you personally do not want to go.... Thats why X vs Y threads exist where people can compare schools and get feedback. you seem pretty set on your other school, so i wish you good luck. but i maintain my stance that RWJMS is a great school and I hope people do their own due diligence to find out why.

Reactions: 2 users
just got the Rejection, since its april fools day, is it safe to say that they actually meant its an interview invite?

Accepted just now!!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! When did you Easter egg hunt? Did Dean T say anything about calling people throughout the day for As?
I interviewed 3/24, and no sorry, I didn’t ask! She told me admission committee met last night

High priority alternate list just now, interviewed last Wed

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if asked before but is the HPWL a different waitlist? Are there 2 waitlists or is everyone on the waitlist a HPWL candidate?

That's great! why are you still on this thread LOL. You've repeated like 5 times now that you got into a better school and that you're going there. Just want to put it out there that although it's good advice to say that if you got into a better school that's more expensive you should go there is kind of a privileged statement. Not everyone has an extra $20k to spend per year and some people prefer to stay close to home for personal reasons. If that's not that case for you, that's great

Exactly!! It is funny how some pre-meds become "experts" on medical schools immediately after getting an acceptance. Especially after getting zippo in their previous application cycle. Also, interesting that if they have all this "insider insight", then why the hell did they apply to RWJ in the first place? and why subsequently post questions about RWJ on SDN with these connections? Wasn't this the same OP that could not figure out out to interpret the web page with Cost of Attendance and asked random people on SDN to clarify how many people get accepted at RWJ? These are not exactly difficult things to figure out, folks, especially when you have all these "inside" connections. Takes a little google search and reading, even for us people without those "insider" connections.

No problem with someone deciding to go to Kimmel but don't run down other schools when you have not yet spent 30 seconds in ANY medical school. Anyway, it works out for all. We won't miss the OPs arrogance and laziness in NJ. Somehow we will still get by.

BTW, congrats to those that were accepted to RWJ and/or any medical school. YOU DID IT!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Can someone help me understand the total cost of attendance for an instate resident? This site is a little confusing.

In other words, if I maintain my own residence the total costs (not including tuition) is $34,878. Then, I add on $43,345 for medicine tuition, is that correct? Then it's 78K total for instate? That doesn't seem right...
Are you serious? It is not rocket science.

Sorry if asked before but is the HPWL a different waitlist? Are there 2 waitlists or is everyone on the waitlist a HPWL candidate?
People on the HPWL receive an email saying that the class is full but as seats open up, they will likely be able to offer a seat.

im bored and need a way to procrastinate. im a student here so if anyone has any questions (about anything other than the new curriculum because tbh i probably know less about that than you do), ask away

im bored and need a way to procrastinate. im a student here so if anyone has any questions (about anything other than the new curriculum because tbh i probably know less about that than you do), ask away
How easy is it to get involved in research?

How easy is it to get involved in research?
Can only speak to my personal experience but I didn’t have much trouble. Just reached out to a department head in a specialty I was interested in to find out which physicians were fairly active research wise and went from there. You just have to have the initiative to reach out to people on your own as no one at the school is going to set it up for you.

if you’re interested in doing research in m1 I’d advise starting to look early and reaching out to the class above you/interest group heads to get contact info for docs who historically have been receptive to working with preclinical students.

hey, some thoughts on the new curriculum, from the BA/MD presentation slides on their website showing the proposed blocks. TL;DR: not much of major change tbh, inter-sessions will help add clinical exposure in MS 1/2, without taking up study block time, but ultimately the MS3/4 inter-sessions inc shelf study time at the expense of earlier start to electives/sub-I/away rotations to the point that 1-week inter-sessions or 2 2-week inter-sessions or none may have been better, esp for strong shelf-takers. Looks like they combined the physiology/normal and abnormal for most blocks, which should be better in pre-clinical.

I think they go preclinical to ~ March of MS2, which is not much of a cut from their former July start date for clinicals since our academic yr ended in early May as far as new material went in MS2. They had bulk in their pre-curriculum in blocks such as microbiology, psych, that I literally took as "study vacation" blocks, so a trimming of the pre-clinical was over-due. They did not even change the order of the blocks at all. It is actually a plus because the interns teaching you will be seasoned, instead of starting just like you. I think some schools do start clinicals Jan of MS2 (true 1.5 yr preclinical), so this shift is more akin to what NJMS and Penn State were already doing and less like the 1.5 of UVA, etc, and 1-years of Duke, Vanderbilt. They preserve the MS1 summer break as well. I personally would have wished for a Jan start to clinical rotations, since it looks like they stretched things out with all the 2-week intersessions, which cuts elective time in the MS3/4 for an early start to aways/research time, etc. I think the ~March start to MS4 will be fine. Taking Step 1 anytime during clerkship yrs/prior is a major shift to align with the true P/F Step 1, although I recommend getting it done as soon as you can s/p pre-clinical. Otherwise, it looks less drastic then you may think and I think they had much more to cut. They added a ~1 month long physicianship course which shifts everything back, as opposed to cutting the pre-clincial down. 2-week intersessions in clinical year will hurt those of you who were already going to Honor the shelf, since there is ample sitting around during your ~6 week/block on most rotations, leaving less "block" time for research/aways. They used to make you drive from all sites for the occasional 3-hr long "hot topic in medical education/LCGME accred required theme" so having them during inter-sessions leaves more time during the actual rotations. The 2-week intersessions will help average shelf takers/possibly promote less cramming for the newly important Step 2 CK, so I expect the distribution of 40% H, 40% HP to hold on shelf exams in MS3, or go up with grade inflation. Aside from viewing a few surgeries, I think there will be less significant exposure to additional specialties then they advertise during inter-sessions, because 1-day of shadowing is not really an idea to inform a specialty and they probably will give you less responsibility, but I encourage you to try to utilize them well. I would not fear the new curriculum at all because it is better, not worse, and not much of a change in terms of didactic length (March end vs. May end; we had a 6-week step 1 block that will be shifted back for the Step 1).

Last edited:
What is this schools choose your medical school tool school-specific requirements? I couldn't find it online or in the accepted students portal. Thanks!
I believe it was mentioned in the acceptance letter. They follow the usual April 15th and 30th deadlines for med school tool. I believe they need to know about commit to enroll by June 28th.. but all that info is in the acceptance letter

Does anyone have any experience with the Dean's scholarship? I am supposed to accept the award within a few days from now, but I'm not sure exactly what that entails. If I accept am I basically committing to the school, or will I still be able to wait for other financial aid offers to come through? Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with the Dean's scholarship? I am supposed to accept the award within a few days from now, but I'm not sure exactly what that entails. If I accept am I basically committing to the school, or will I still be able to wait for other financial aid offers to come through? Thanks!
was this a scholarship you had to apply to or did they offer it to you?

anyone have any predictions on when HPWL movement is going to start? 4/30 falls on a friday this year so does that mean there would be movement over the weekend (5/1-2)? or just the monday after onwards?

If you accept it, then later decide to turn down the school, it is poor form from you. I do not think they could impose any penalty, however, they would simply offer it to someone else.

• Hmm
If you accept it, then later decide to turn down the school, it is poor form from you. I do not think they could impose any penalty, however, they would simply offer it to someone else.
Is it, though? What if you are later accepted to a school you prefer, or someone else offers you an even larger scholarship? Isn't this exactly the type of movement that is contemplated prior to CTE? Why is it poor form just because a scholarship is involved?

Got the acceptance call from Dean T. in March! (She was unimpressed by my reaction because I was at work lol and I needed to keep it a secret.) Late to the party, but have been busy finishing up work/research... This is such a dream come true! Rutgers was my top choice—great tuition, location, name-recognition, etc.

II mid-October. Submitted late August. LM >68. OOS. ORM. Nontraditional.

P.S. I actually appreciate the negative feedback from current/former students. It helps to paint a balanced picture of the school. Notwithstanding, this is still a dream come true! (A lot of the potential drawbacks mirror my undergrad experience at a large public university, and I did just fine.)

"Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

Last edited:
Does anyone ever live in the school-sponsored housing options like the Livingston Apartments for graduate students?

Does anyone ever live in the school-sponsored housing options like the Livingston Apartments for graduate students?
Unfortunately I don't think those are available to RWJ students (according to current students)

this is definitely a stupid question but is there a time by which we have to let them know if we are withdrawing our acceptance today?

this is definitely a stupid question but is there a time by which we have to let them know if we are withdrawing our acceptance today?
Haha I had this question too. I’m pretty sure as long as it’s timestamped by today you’re in the clear. These are “recommendations” after all.

I’m on the highest ranked highest priority waitlist I’m hoping some of y’all withdraw asap LOL. Praying that I get into this school soon

I’m on the highest ranked highest priority waitlist I’m hoping some of y’all withdraw asap LOL. Praying that I get into this school soon
Wow, that is great! Did you get this specific wording “highest ranked“? I thought they only had high priority waitlist, not the highest ranked high priority waitlist. This might be something new for this year.

Wow, that is great! Did you get this specific wording “highest ranked“? I thought they only had high priority waitlist, not the highest ranked high priority waitlist. This might be something new for this year.
They have this every year. It’s like “high alternate priority list in the rank of the highest priority”. It’s a subset of the HPWL that gets pulled off first.

Bruh they really got a highest rank high priority waitlist?? smh

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I think you should check with the school on their policy. Some schools have special scholarships where if it’s high enough the strings attached are you would have to matriculate there. If it doesn’t state anything on the scholarship or anything then it might not be needed but to ease your concerns check with the school.

Hey, current M1 at RWJ here- I was skimming through this thread out of boredom and thought I'd answer some questions/ clarify some stuff I've seen. First, there is a highest priority HPWL- last year, the students who were told that in their email were the top 10 ranked students on the HPWL. RWJ usually does see quite a bit of waitlist movement (except for last year where I think only like ~5 students got off the HPWL, all of whom were told they were in the highest priority) but in previous years, being told you were on the HPWL meant you had a very strong chance of acceptance.

As for COA, take the costs you see on the website with a grain of salt. The only thing there you need to pay for is the tuition. Everything else will depend on your rent and living habits. People pay roughly 650-1200 for rent (living with roommates will be like $650-$900, living alone will be like $1200-1500) a month, + personal expenses. If you want to save money, you could always commute from home (which I strongly recommend against unless you live closer than 15 minutes from campus).

Hope this helps! Feel free to DM if anybody has other questions.

Edit: looking at the COA site again, some things:
  • Books and supplies- $2985: The only supplies I've spent money on are a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff- this cost me less than $100.
  • Fees- $1883: If this is what I'm thinking it is, then you do need to pay for this.
  • Room & board- $18580: No way will you spend this much unless you're living in some super boujee apartment complex. Expect this to be closer to $10k.
  • Personal- $7380: This looks about right- In total, I spend about $700 a month including food.
  • Transportation- $4050: The only transportation costs I have are getting gas about once every 2 weeks. Being incredibly generous, that's around $100 a month.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hey, current M1 at RWJ here- I was skimming through this thread out of boredom and thought I'd answer some questions/ clarify some stuff I've seen. First, there is a highest priority HPWL- last year, the students who were told that in their email were the top 10 ranked students on the HPWL. RWJ usually does see quite a bit of waitlist movement (except for last year where I think only like ~5 students got off the HPWL, all of whom were told they were in the highest priority) but in previous years, being told you were on the HPWL meant you had a very strong chance of acceptance.

As for COA, take the costs you see on the website with a grain of salt. The only thing there you need to pay for is the tuition. Everything else will depend on your rent and living habits. People pay roughly 650-1200 for rent (living with roommates will be like $650-$900, living alone will be like $1200-1500) a month, + personal expenses. If you want to save money, you could always commute from home (which I strongly recommend against unless you live closer than 15 minutes from campus).

Hope this helps! Feel free to DM if anybody has other questions.

Edit: looking at the COA site again, some things:
  • Books and supplies- $2985: The only supplies I've spent money on are a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff- this cost me less than $100.
  • Fees- $1883: If this is what I'm thinking it is, then you do need to pay for this.
  • Room & board- $18580: No way will you spend this much unless you're living in some super boujee apartment complex. Expect this to be closer to $10k.
  • Personal- $7380: This looks about right- In total, I spend about $700 a month including food.
  • Transportation- $4050: The only transportation costs I have are getting gas about once every 2 weeks. Being incredibly generous, that's around $100 a month.
i see someone was up late procrastinating cramming for their micro exam lol.

but yeah.. this goes for all schools not just rwj, the estimated cost of attendance provided by the financial aid office is the high end of what they can reasonably see someone who isnt even the slightest bit fiscally responsible spending. If im not mistaken this is done intentionally because the estimated COA is used to determine how much federal loan $ you are able to borrow

• Haha
i see someone was up late procrastinating cramming for their micro exam lol.

but yeah.. this goes for all schools not just rwj, the estimated cost of attendance provided by the financial aid office is the high end of what they can reasonably see someone who isnt even the slightest bit fiscally responsible spending. If im not mistaken this is done intentionally because the estimated COA is used to determine how much federal loan $ you are able to borrow
i find this offensive. $7400 for personal use and 18580 for room and board is not really fiscally irresponsible. Also, $3k for books and supplies seems reasonable...people need to budget for outside resources.

people need to budget for outside resources.
True, im a huge proponent of 3rd party resources to replace/supplement in house lecture. virtual textbooks are almost all provided free through your schools library and if you need hard copies you can get most of them used for a few bucks online. FirstAid youll get for free through the AMA. sketchy, boards & beyond and pathoma which are probably the 3 most useful resources for m1 (with pathoma being of questionable utility until m2), even if you choose to buy all 3, is still going to run well under $1,000 (i believe its 360 for sketchy and 200 or so for boards w/ $85 for a 2 year pathoma subscription)

18580 for room and board is not really fiscally irresponsible.
for some places sure, i definitely spent more than that while living in a major city but at least in Piscataway and new brunswick (assuming you dont choose to live alone in one of the NB luxury apartments which will run you +1600)youre looking at $700-900/ month in rent & utilities. im not going to try and assume to know what you eat but youll have over 600/month remaining for food in their estimated room and board which, imo for one person thats a heck of a lot. Particularly when their budget also allocates $650/month in personal expenditures. As an anecdote, i basically never cook and doordash everything yet I still far below $18580.

honestly though, theres nothing wrong with borrowing the max amount each year if that lifestyle is what is going to make you happy but for the average person who looks at the projected COA and is shocked, you can get well below that without making any drastic changes to your QOL

Last edited:
Anyone have any info on if the class is overbooked or what WL movement might look like this year compared to last year?