2020-2021 Rutgers (Robert Wood Johnson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
could you post the prompts?
How has COVID 19 impacted your expectations for your medical education experience and your future work as a doctor?

Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc.

If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a bulleted list of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.

If you would like, feel free to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans.

If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

If you are applying with a state of legal residence that is not NJ, please indicate your connection to NJ (mark all that apply) and explain this connection: (checkbox and then a box to explain further)

Please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS or other connections to Rutgers University.

Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you ever been charged or convicted of a criminal offense? Are there any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer is yes, please specify the details.

Is there anything you would like to share or anything you would like to clarify on your application?

No word/character limits are given it seems. Can anyone verify that?

How has COVID 19 impacted your expectations for your medical education experience and your future work as a doctor?

Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc.

If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a bulleted list of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.

If you would like, feel free to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans.

If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

If you are applying with a state of legal residence that is not NJ, please indicate your connection to NJ (mark all that apply) and explain this connection: (checkbox and then a box to explain further)

Please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS or other connections to Rutgers University.

Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you ever been charged or convicted of a criminal offense? Are there any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer is yes, please specify the details.

Is there anything you would like to share or anything you would like to clarify on your application?

yeah I don’t see any character/word limits

I don’t see any word or character limit. Also I tested to see if the text box cut you off at a certain point and it doesn’t. I was able to put 6000+ random words of over 20k characters and it let me save that

So I’m going to go out on a limb and say no limit

How long do you guys think the COVID expectations essay should be? I know RWJ in the past had 225 character limits on questions so I was thinking about making it brief and straightforward.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone using the "Is there anything you would like to share or anything you would like to clarify on your application?" question as a why RWJ essay/diversity essay? Or just leaving it blank?

Is anyone using the "Is there anything you would like to share or anything you would like to clarify on your application?" question as a why RWJ essay/diversity essay? Or just leaving it blank?

Personally I’m leaving it blank because I think if they wanted to know that then they’d ask it. Also I’m an in state Rutgers-NB grad so a lot of the obvious reasons for going there don’t need to be written imo

Or at least that’s my view on those questions but it seems relatively common to use it as a why us essay

Reactions: 1 users
Personally I’m leaving it blank because I think if they wanted to know that then they’d ask it. Also I’m an in state Rutgers-NB grad so a lot of the obvious reasons for going there don’t need to be written imo

Or at least that’s my view on those questions but it seems relatively common to use it as a why us essay

Okay I see, thanks! I may use the space because I have no ties to New Jersey at all and am from the Midwest so maybe using it to explain why I’m interested would be good since there’s a question asking about ties to the school/state.

Okay I see, thanks! I may use the space because I have no ties to New Jersey at all and am from the Midwest so maybe using it to explain why I’m interested would be good since there’s a question asking about ties to the school/state.

I think that sounds like a great approach to it! There’s obviously no one right option for how to go about such an open ended question

Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
"How has COVID 19 impacted your expectations for your medical education experience and your future work as a doctor?"

How are you guys approaching the 'medical education experience' portion of this question? Honestly think I'm overthinking this lol.

"How has COVID 19 impacted your expectations for your medical education experience and your future work as a doctor?"

How are you guys approaching the 'medical education experience' portion of this question? Honestly think I'm overthinking this lol.

So due to the pandemic there’s obviously been a lot of changes that medical schools have had to quickly implement. Some schools have done it better than others I’m sure.

Has this whole situation made you realize there’s some aspect/quality of medical schools that is important to you? Maybe something that you may miss out on due to the transition to a virtual setting that is something you hope is maintained?

that’s how I approached the question at least. I also tried to make sure that whatever I mentioned was important to me in a traditional medical school experience. For example maybe for you the relationships with your classmates is important because you believe that to be a big part of the experience

hope that helps!

that’s how I approached the question at least. I also tried to make sure that whatever I mentioned was important to me in a traditional medical school experience. For example maybe for you the relationships with your classmates is important because you believe that to be a big part of the experience

Gotcha! Yeah, after talking to others about it, I realized the question was much more straightforward than I initially thought haha.

Thanks for your perspective though, definitely made it even clearer!

Quick question & not sure if anybody has the answer:

For the question: If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a bulleted list of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.

Does this mean we provide an explanation under the bullet or nah?

I.e.

Researcher, X SOM, Aug/2020 - May/2021

or

Researcher, X SOM, Aug/2020 - May/2021
Blah blah blah

Not sure how in-depth this answer should be.

Ugh really do not like the question to comment on any grades lower than a B. If you're answering this, how are you approaching it?? :(

Ugh really do not like the question to comment on any grades lower than a B. If you're answering this, how are you approaching it?? :(

Id say main thing to keep in mind is to not deflect blame/fault and accept whatever shortcomings on your part led to the low grade. This is of course in the scenario that there wasn’t some serious issue that occurred during the time you received that bad grade like a death in the family or some type of illness etc

If the issue was from a personal shortcoming then try to include how you addressed that and improved because that’ll show them that even though you did have this low grade you self corrected after which is what they wanna see.

If you can pinpoint the issue and spin it into a legitimate issue(not it was hard or bad curve etc) but follow that up with how you later resolved the issue then you’re golden

Id say main thing to keep in mind is to not deflect blame/fault and accept whatever shortcomings on your part led to the low grade. This is of course in the scenario that there wasn’t some serious issue that occurred during the time you received that bad grade like a death in the family or some type of illness etc

If the issue was from a personal shortcoming then try to include how you addressed that and improved because that’ll show them that even though you did have this low grade you self corrected after which is what they wanna see.

If you can pinpoint the issue and spin it into a legitimate issue(not it was hard or bad curve etc) but follow that up with how you later resolved the issue then you’re golden
Thank you for this! Yes I was thinking of concluding with my success in grad school to show how I've changed.

How are people approaching the MCAT question? Just saying which resources you used?

How are people approaching the MCAT question? Just saying which resources you used?

I started my response with "The MCAT is hard, and the MCAT is important.."

Haha but nah, seriously though, that's all I did: detail what resources I used and how I paced myself, and how my study strategy differed between my first and second attempts (i'm a retaker).

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
For the following question “ If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a bulleted list of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.“

With Covid, I don’t really have any clinical experience in the last year. I have volunteering that I did last year and I do have a good amount of clinical that I did in years previous (But that won’t count for this question). Do all of you have a good amount of clinical during the past year?

For the following question “ If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a bulleted list of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.“

With Covid, I don’t really have any clinical experience in the last year. I have volunteering that I did last year and I do have a good amount of clinical that I did in years previous (But that won’t count for this question). Do all of you have a good amount of clinical during the past year?
It says a list of your activities, doesn't specify clinical. Have you been working, in school?

Work, but not In the medical field. What exactly are they looking for in this answer then? What’s the purpose?

Work, but not In the medical field. What exactly are they looking for in this answer then? What’s the purpose?
It's just a list of what you've been doing, don't overthink it. Nothing wrong with working to support yourself or save $$ for school. They are not asking for an essay.

If I was placed on academic probation does that count as a disciplinary action for the second to last prompt? I indicated on my primary that I was placed on academic probation. I am several years out of undergrad and don't want to continue to address it. To me, academic probation is an institutional action but not a disciplinary action. If someone could clarify that would be great!

For the " Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? " question, if I've graduated from college and am currently working, would I need to fill this out? I've never worked while in undergrad, and I'm thinking of putting that fact down for this question. I know there's another question asking for what I'm doing since graduation, which I will complete.

For the " Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? " question, if I've graduated from college and am currently working, would I need to fill this out? I've never worked while in undergrad, and I'm thinking of putting that fact down for this question. I know there's another question asking for what I'm doing since graduation, which I will complete.

No, make sure you correctly answer the question. Only answer the question if you have had a job during undergrad.

For the employment during undergrad question, I have had multiple jobs while working on two different undergrad degrees and then also during a post-bacc program (from 2014-current I've had 5 jobs). Suffice it to say, my answer to this is pretty long. Should I try to keep this brief or should I fully answer the question about each job?

Oh, another question. Does anyone know if it will hurt your application to say you aren't interested in PACCE?

For the employment during undergrad question, I have had multiple jobs while working on two different undergrad degrees and then also during a post-bacc program (from 2014-current I've had 5 jobs). Suffice it to say, my answer to this is pretty long. Should I try to keep this brief or should I fully answer the question about each job?
I think the question says "school year" so you can include both undergrad and post-bacc. I had a job in undergrad and 2 jobs while I was in graduate school. So, i just briefly talked about it in short paragraphs for each job.

I think the question says "school year" so you can include both undergrad and post-bacc. I had a job in undergrad and 2 jobs while I was in graduate school. So, i just briefly talked about it in short paragraphs for each job.

Okay, thank you! Yeah, I'm the same exact way and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving way too much detail. I saw that their limit used to be 250 words which kind of scared me

is it weird that my application said that my Casper score was received? I just took it a few days ago and the casper site says that my scores are pending?

If you had to address the poor grade question, how are you all commenting on it? Do you have a focus on the way you improved or?

If you had to address the poor grade question, how are you all commenting on it? Do you have a focus on the way you improved or?

I briefly and honestly stated the reason then quickly moved into what I did to rectify it. that's what I've always seen people recommend for these question types.

Just some quick clarification questions if anyone can help :

"Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc."
  • Is this asking about 2020 specifically or does it mean anytime during an undergrad/post-bacc experience whether it was 2012 or 2019?
"If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a bulleted list of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year."
  • I graduated back in 2014 and then again did a post-bacc from 2017-2019. Do they want me to include what i've been doing from 2014-2017 & then again from 2019-2020? Feel like these questions aren't really formatted well for non-traditional students.
"If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA)."
  • Does this mean any BCPM? So a Calc class would be included for this?

Just some quick clarification questions if anyone can help :

"Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc."
  • Is this asking about 2020 specifically or does it mean anytime during an undergrad/post-bacc experience whether it was 2012 or 2019?
"If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a bulleted list of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year."
  • I graduated back in 2014 and then again did a post-bacc from 2017-2019. Do they want me to include what i've been doing from 2014-2017 & then again from 2019-2020? Feel like these questions aren't really formatted well for non-traditional students.
"If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA)."
  • Does this mean any BCPM? So a Calc class would be included for this?

1. I think it probably applies to work anytime you were also in school, so anytime you were taking classes in undergrad/post-bacc but also worked at the same time.

2. Agreed, not done well for non-traditional students but why not explain everything? No word/character limit so you can just give a nice timeline overview so everything post-college is very clear

3. I also have the same question as you - got a low grade in a physical sciences course aka not BCPM. should I include this or not? Appreciate anyone's thoughts on that
For you, since Calc is BCPM, it probably should be included because they care most about BCPM classes, not sure about others though.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but for the "connection to NJ" question, does "close relatives" only refer to immediate family? I have aunts/uncles/cousins in NJ but that's it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but for the "connection to NJ" question, does "close relatives" only refer to immediate family? I have aunts/uncles/cousins in NJ but that's it.

I'd count that as a connection

II as well! IS, completed July 22, 518 mcat and 3.8 gpa

Reactions: 3 users