2019-2020 Rutgers (Robert Wood Johnson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know what the deal is with getting in-state tuition as an out of state person? I know that I made a note to look into it after interview day, but left the note and FA materials in my apartment that I haven’t been back to since corona! Thank you!

I am pretty sure as long as you live in NJ for your first year you get in state tuition as an MS2 (that’s what they said during virtual second look).

Also just withdrew from RWJ. This class seems awesome though! Everyone is super nice. It was my second choice, but had to go somewhere else. Hope one of y’all gets the spot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Withdrew my acceptance earlier! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
when does waitlist movement here start?
When I spoke to someone from admissions, they said sometime in May since they won't know until May 1st of movement in the class (I.e. who decides to withdraw, who decides to keep their acceptance, etc.).

Dr. Copeland told me that they are currently overbooked, but hoping for movement by mid May

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Just called and they said the same.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Wait overbooked? So does that mean they gave out more As than they can actually take?

Wait overbooked? So does that mean they gave out more As than they can actually take?
Sounds like it, but I don’t think that’s abnormal in general. Being overbooked the day after traffic day, however, really stings. There is still time though!

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like it, but I don’t think that’s abnormal in general. Being overbooked the day after traffic day, however, really stings. There is still time though!

Wow I didn't know that's a thing. You would think the whole point of a waitlist is to fill seats left by students who decline As. Overbooking before WL seems risky bc you can't reject after giving As

Did anybody else get an email from RWJ just now (2:05 PM)? All mine said was that they "remain hopeful" that seats will open starting the second week of May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody else get an email from RWJ just now (2:05 PM)? All mine said was that they "remain hopeful" that seats will open starting the second week of May.
Nope I got nothing ☹️

I didn't get any email. Did you email them first earlier today?

Nope. Are you in the high priority list as well?

Just saw on msars that rwj ask accepted applicants to select PTE by May 7th, so there may be some more movement after then

I thought PTE was April 30th did you mean CTE?
Nope PTE. "We encourage you to select "plan to enroll" as soon as April 30 and request that you select 'plan to enroll' by May 7.". Though this is for 2021 cycle, I'm sure it was the same for 2020. CTE is in end of June

So most movement should be after may 7th, this gives me a little bit of hope

Any student still holding an acceptance at this point is probably just waiting on other waitlists (since they should have narrowed down to one acceptance April 30). Selecting "Plan to Enroll" does not commit a student to anything. Per AMCAS website, selecting PTE (even after April 30) indicates: "I understand that I can continue to interview, remain on any waitlist, and receive additional acceptance offers."

If a student can indicate PTE and still remain on waitlists, I don't think it matters so much on the school's May 7 PTE deadline as it does on how quickly other schools start moving through their lists. That being said, other schools will start moving through their lists, and I personally think we should start seeing some high priority movement in a week or so.

Any student still holding an acceptance at this point is probably just waiting on other waitlists (since they should have narrowed down to one acceptance April 30). Selecting "Plan to Enroll" does not commit a student to anything. Per AMCAS website, selecting PTE (even after April 30) indicates: "I understand that I can continue to interview, remain on any waitlist, and receive additional acceptance offers."

If a student can indicate PTE and still remain on waitlists, I don't think it matters so much on the school's May 7 PTE deadline as it does on how quickly other schools start moving through their lists. That being said, other schools will start moving through their lists, and I personally think we should start seeing some high priority movement in a week or so.

Agreed. Even if RWJ's deadline is May 7th, students should have indicated one school that they are planning to attend by April 30th anyways (since most schools have the deadline of April 30th to narrow down to one school). If they are overbooked at this moment that probably means that they still selected RWJ as their planned school at the moment and the # of students that are planning to enroll is still higher than the school's capacity..

The question, if you’re a neurotic SDNer with too much time to kill like me, is whether this is typical for them at this stage. Last year‘s thread showed one person reporting an acceptance from the waitlist the day after traffic day, with more As coming the week/s after. That to me means they were not at any point overbooked post traffic day last cycle, unless I’m missing something.

I mean the nightmare scenario is that they remain overbooked and are unable/barely able to dip into the WL. All speculation of course, and I remain hopeful!

I'm looking at that thread now, and it doesn't look like the first student was accepted off of the HPWL until May 5th? Wasn't traffic day also April 30th last year?

Last edited:
I'm looking at that thread now, and it doesn't look like the first student was accepted off of the HPWL until May 5th? Wasn't traffic day also April 30th last year?

Edit: Now I'm looking at the 2017-2018 thread, and that year, it does look like students were starting to get accepted as early as April 30th. Regardless, this year is definitely an abnormal one.

Edit #2: Alright well it's 2 AM and what else is a neurotic premed supposed to at 2 AM other than look at previous years' SDN threads? In 2016-2017, the first student didn't post a HPWL acceptance until May 9th- that year, 6 people posted on SDN that they got in off the waitlist.

I've now gone back all the way to the 2014-2015 post on SDN. Every year from then until now, there have been 6+ people posting that they got off the waitlist. In 2014-2015, they overbooked and it looks like they took zero applicants off of the HPWL. However, it looks like the language that they used was very different. That year, applicants were flat out told that they should expect zero waitlist movement while this year, it seems like the admissions office does expect there to be at least a little bit. But I'm definitely just reading into everything too much and trying to find significance where there is none.

Here's the post if you guys are interested in becoming just as neurotic as I am: 2014-2015 Rutgers University - Robert Wood Johnson Application Thread

You’re totally right about last year. So sorry to mislead anyone! The first HPWL>A post last year said they got the call the prior Friday. Somewhere along the line, I conflated “first Friday after traffic day” with “day after traffic day”, and they happened to be the same day this cycle. :smack:

And that’s my cue to take a chill pill!!

does anybody remember seeing movement from the regular alternate list on the threads from past years?

I know that fb group members are not the most accurate way to speculate what's going on..and I felt miserable after seeing 296 members in RWJMS Class of 2024 group (with +115 within a month).

I checked previous years and they had way more members. Class of 2023 had 484, 2022 had 567, and 2021 had 592..

I know this is super neurotic but just trying to stay sane and hopeful looking through this #s. I'm sure a majority of these people are actually M2,M3, and M4s. So hopefully we have more acceptances to come off the waitlist :)

I know that fb group members are not the most accurate way to speculate what's going on..and I felt miserable after seeing 296 members in RWJMS Class of 2024 group (with +115 within a month).

I checked previous years and they had way more members. Class of 2023 had 484, 2022 had 567, and 2021 had 592..

I know this is super neurotic but just trying to stay sane and hopeful looking through this #s. I'm sure a majority of these people are actually M2,M3, and M4s. So hopefully we have more acceptances to come off the waitlist :)
Yeah, they added M2 and M3s. Before that it was around 209 and remember that includes people who were considering other schools as well

Has anybody recently reached regarding the HPWL movement and would like to update us? :)

Has anybody recently reached regarding the HPWL movement and would like to update us? :)
Nothing recently, but someone on this thread did mention they received an email from RWJMS last Friday stating that they expect to see some movement by the second week of May.

I just called admissions 5 minutes ago...she said that they only expect movement on the HPWL this cycle (sorry to everyone on the alternate list) and that they expect it to start in two weeks. She also said that they are still overbooked and haven’t had any movement at all on the HPWL to date. A lot of people (including me) have a CTE date in early June so this isn’t great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
I just called admissions 5 minutes ago...she said that they only expect movement on the HPWL this cycle (sorry to everyone on the alternate list) and that they expect it to start in two weeks. She also said that they are still overbooked and haven’t had any movement at all on the HPWL to date. A lot of people (including me) have a CTE date in early June so this isn’t great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for calling! Sorry to hear about those who are alt listed.. It's crazy that they still anticipate being overbooked that late. I wonder how many people would be taken from the HPWL :/ Did you ask what people would do if they have an early CTE date?

Thanks for calling! Sorry to hear about those who are alt listed.. It's crazy that they still anticipate being overbooked that late. I wonder how many people would be taken from the HPWL :/ Did you ask what people would do if they have an early CTE date?

I didn’t ask about the procedure for the applicants with early CTE dates. But I doubt they’ll be accommodating since they still overbooked in mid May

I called today and the admissions office lady was super nice. In my first application cycle, I was on the interview waitlist, and this cycle I got an interview and on HPWL. She expects for movements to occur starting next week well into mid/late June, but at the same time, she is nervous to tell me anything more because there has not been a movement just yet. I was told to call back later next week to discuss further so I will keep you guys posted !!

I called today and the admissions office lady was super nice. In my first application cycle, I was on the interview waitlist, and this cycle I got an interview and on HPWL. She expects for movements to occur starting next week well into mid/late June, but at the same time, she is nervous to tell me anything more because there has not been a movement just yet. I was told to call back later next week to discuss further so I will keep you guys posted !!
Thanks for sharing with us! Did she mention anything about how big the list is for people who are “high priority of the highest priority?” Just want to see if that will change things for the people who are on just the high priority list.

Thanks for sharing with us! Did she mention anything about how big the list is for people who are “high priority of the highest priority?” Just want to see if that will change things for the people who are on just the high priority list.

She was on a zoom meeting so i heard so many background noise haha. So I didnt want to bother her for too long and I didn’t ask her about the size of the list. I’ve only seen one person post here about being on “high priority of highest priority.”

I would like to think that those are super super small number inside the HPWL. Also It is reasonable to believe that HPWL is relatively conservative because they also have the regular waitlist. It makes sense to have smaller number in each pool as it goes up the ladder.

Also looking at other threads, I feel like so many other factors come into place with these movements. I guess it really depends on the demographics of the person withdrawing to determine who matches well within the waitlist..

I think you guys should expect some movement. I’m basing this solely on the fact that the housing document only has 102 names on it currently. Clearly people have been accepted that haven’t committed yet.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
She was on a zoom meeting so i heard so many background noise haha. So I didnt want to bother her for too long and I didn’t ask her about the size of the list. I’ve only seen one person post here about being on “high priority of highest priority.”

I would like to think that those are super super small number inside the HPWL. Also It is reasonable to believe that HPWL is relatively conservative because they also have the regular waitlist. It makes sense to have smaller number in each pool as it goes up the ladder.

Also looking at other threads, I feel like so many other factors come into place with these movements. I guess it really depends on the demographics of the person withdrawing to determine who matches well within the waitlist..
Makes sense. I agree I’ve only seen one person on the high priority of highest priority list. That also was the person who received an email saying that they should expect movement soon. I noticed no one else on the regular high priority list received that email (or at least people commenting on this thread said they didn’t receive that email haha). Anyway, we’ll just have to wait and hope for the best!

I think you guys should expect some movement. I’m basing this solely on the fact that the housing document only has 102 names on it currently. Clearly people have been accepted that haven’t committed yet.

That’s good to hear. Is the housing document required for everyone to fill out?

That’s good to hear. Is the housing document required for everyone to fill out?
It’s not required but if you’re trying to find roommates, you’d be doing yourself a favor by filling it out lol

When I called yesterday they said they were at class size already, so I think next week waitlist will start slow, rather than a bunch of hpwl getting off together

Reactions: 2 users
When I called yesterday they said they were at class size already, so I think next week waitlist will start slow, rather than a bunch of hpwl getting off together

It is certainly a bit relieving to hear that they are not "over-booked" anymore haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I just snooped on here for nostalgia sake. I'm a current M1, and don't let facebook group #s give you any idea, theres a lot of M2s, M3s etc... in the group. People post in there if they have housing openings or they if are part of student government or part of orientation team. So the number is not a realistic representation. ALSO, I got off the high priority waitlist in June last year... So it's not over until its over for any of you who are struggling with waiting. Good luck!

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone have any information on whether Fall 2020 will be moved to online. I know one of my friends that is starting at Harvard med said that they've been moved to online for Fall.