2008-2009 Case Western Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, have you found housing yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Droshan!!

I think I'm gonna roadtrip to Cleveland in a couple weeks to check out the housing situation. I have a friend at Case Law who says there are 'For Rent' signs all over the place. :)

I'm thinking of doing the same thing barefoot. I don't think finding a place will be difficult.

Oh and congrats to everyone joining the party. Looking forward to meeting you all. Be sure to check out and join the SOM 2013 facebook group. :)

Exciting rhettoric! Maybe we will be there at the same time! I hope all the good places aren't already taken :p

I can't go 'til June... hopefully y'all will leave something for me!

By the way, has anyone received "instructions for applying for federal aid" in their email yet? I emailed last week and was told they were going to send it last Thursday/Friday.... but nothing yet...........

an email was sent by jessie saying the financial aid instructions would be emailed by this friday (15th) and then we would have 10 days to mail back our fin aid letters.

Thank you guys for WDing!! I just got the call baby YEA!!!!!! Here I come Cleveland!

Nice work bro. I've been following your profile for a while, we have very similar stats. Now Case needs to give me some love as well.

High MCAT low gpa kid too eh? I'm sure you have a great shot of getting in. Make sure to stay in contact with them. Christian said that it made a difference.

drosh

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Any suggestions of how to up my chances for a wait list acceptance? I wrote a letter about a week and a half ago. Time for another?

No, don't write another one...you don't wanna harass them, I wrote 3 over the course of 8 months.

I am a reapplicant with high MCAT(38) and "lower GPA"(3.6) from UC Berkeley that got into Case this cycle. I think what helped me even get an interview and eventual acceptance was the fact that I stayed in contact with the school(asking for advice and etc) after my previous attempt. So, it seems like they look favorably on ppl that show interest and keep contact with the school. I recommend writing letters. I dont see how they can hurt. At worst, nothing comes of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think there may be more movement after the may 15th deadline?
I am pretty sure I am submitting a letter of Intent, just wondering if movement is likely to occur.

Do you guys think there may be more movement after the may 15th deadline?
I am pretty sure I am submitting a letter of Intent, just wondering if movement is likely to occur.
I'm sure there will be. Kids will get off waitlists at schools they may like better and are given a few days to get a financial package in order to make a decision, so there will definitely be movement after the 15th. I know many schools routinely have movement into the first weeks of June and then it slows down. Send that letter in, Case values correspondence. Good luck

Happy Hump Day Everyone!

Does anyone happen to know how difficult it is to get a campus parking permit? I know that they said they are saving "some" spots for the medical students, but I'm just not sure how difficult these will be to come by. Any additional parking info. would be great appreciated!

Just got accepted off the WL. I'm stoked.
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for where to look for housing around Case. I'm coming from the West Coast and am not in the slightest bit familiar with Cleveland. Thanks

Welcome! I'm an incoming M1 too. According to the grapevine, if you want to be close, Little Italy seems to be the best neighborhood (walking distance). Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights and University Heights are also apparently popular neighborhoods. The Waldorf and the Triangle seem to be popular apartment buildings for med students.

check out http://wiki.case.edu/SOM/CodeBlue for some good info. See you in July!

withdrew from the alternate list. Good luck all! I really liked Case, but Cincy's lower tuition plus a merit scholarship sealed the deal for me.

I know this has been somewhat discussed. I'm really OOS and and looking to be in little italy. For the first year how vital would a car be to me in this area?

from everything i've heard, most first years make do without a car. plus, little italy is one of the closer areas to the med school. but i am not totally sure how far it is from places like groceries, etc.

check the class of 2013 forums, there's probably something useful in there:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=589669

To anyone who was accepted from the alternate list:

I'm going to be in Cleveland on Thursday of this week and I wanted to try and schedule an appointment with either Christian or Dr. Mehta to talk about my candidacy. Does anyone know whether this is possible? Effective? What to talk about?

And, congratulations to you for getting in!

I'm not sure if the class is full now, but school starts next week. I spoke to another dean at a school I was waitlisted at about my candidacy, but she said their class was full and wouldn't be taking anymore from the waitlist. So...I'm not sure how much it would do at this point unless someone withdraws in the next few days, and they keep you in mind. Best of luck.

from everything i've heard, most first years make do without a car. plus, little italy is one of the closer areas to the med school. but i am not totally sure how far it is from places like groceries, etc.

check the class of 2013 forums, there's probably something useful in there:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=589669

It's a little but of a walk to places like dave's, but if you're more interested in going the giant eagle or even whole foods route, you'll need to know someone with a car.

I'm kinda jealous that I won't be joining you guys in that you are starting in like a week or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.