2008-2009 Drexel Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not have any medical volunteer experiences to list? i'm wondering if i should even bother submitting this.

i have shadowing experience and paid experiences that are medically related but no medical volunteering experiences that aren't from like high school.is shadowing considered "volunteer" but not "community service"? (they seem to designate non-medical activities into ec's, volunteer, and comm. service)

suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
not have any medical volunteer experiences to list? i'm wondering if i should even bother submitting this.

i have shadowing experience and paid experiences that are medically related but no medical volunteering experiences that aren't from like high school.is shadowing considered "volunteer" but not "community service"? (they seem to designate non-medical activities into ec's, volunteer, and comm. service)

suggestions?

I would consider shadowing more of a medically relevant volunteer experience than community service.

I would consider shadowing more of a medically relevant volunteer experience than community service.

i was thinking that too....i just don't know if i can consider it "volunteer experience"

i just dont like the thought of leaving a section blank, though i think i did on albany's

Members don't see this ad :)
i was thinking that too....i just don't know if i can consider it "volunteer experience"

i just dont like the thought of leaving a section blank, though i think i did on albany's

I listed "shadowing" as medical volunteering. They know what shadowing is and can judge for themselves if it should be there or not. I thought it was worth the chance since my only other clinical volunteering was a short summer-long commitment in a free clinic.

I listed "shadowing" as medical volunteering. They know what shadowing is and can judge for themselves if it should be there or not. I thought it was worth the chance since my only other clinical volunteering was a short summer-long commitment in a free clinic.

hmm...yeah, i think i'll probably do that too

I was just wondering if anyone's secondary app has been completed? I submitted and paid the day it came out (August 6).

I was just wondering if anyone's secondary app has been completed? I submitted and paid the day it came out (August 6).
I don't even see how you check your status. The status page is weird.

Anybody have their LORs marked? I had mine sent on the 6th.

I don't even see how you check your status. The status page is weird.

yeah, you have to login to another page. i was looking at the status check to see if they had received everything. it says they still haven't received my app fee and secondary, even though i did that a while ago (7/28). i think they might just be slllllooooooooooooowwwwwww.

I was marked complete on Thursday or Friday... I sent my letters via Interfolio and turned in the app the day I received it (8/7). Never received a confirmation email.

my letters were sent out via virtualevals on the 12th I think and then showed up as received on drexel's status page the next day. I submitted the application and fee on the 11th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all you lucky people who have received the Drexel secondary... I have a question for ya. I've heard that there are "no formal essays" on this application, but I also think I read somewhere that there are "no essays unless you're a non-trad". I have been out of college for 3 years, and so believe I fall into this category. Could someone who has the app post any essays which might apply? Or are there really NO essays to worry about? I'd like to start working on it (read: recycling material from other essays) so that I can submit as soon as I FINALLY receive it!

Thanks in advance...

Hi all you lucky people who have received the Drexel secondary... I have a question for ya. I've heard that there are "no formal essays" on this application, but I also think I read somewhere that there are "no essays unless you're a non-trad". I have been out of college for 3 years, and so believe I fall into this category. Could someone who has the app post any essays which might apply? Or are there really NO essays to worry about? I'd like to start working on it (read: recycling material from other essays) so that I can submit as soon as I FINALLY receive it!

Thanks in advance...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Has your education to date been continuous other than vacations?.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If No, use the space below or attach a separate sheet to this application to describe what you have done while out of school.

I do believe this is it....unless I overlooked something

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do NOT think I'm a nontrad.

I graduated in May 08 and plan on matriculating in Fall 09. I would still be considered trad? Also the above question wouldn't really apply to me since my education HAS BEEN continuous up till graduation...

Right??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do NOT think I'm a nontrad.

I graduated in May 08 and plan on matriculating in Fall 09. I would still be considered trad? Also the above question wouldn't really apply to me since my education HAS BEEN continuous up till graduation...

Right??

You're going to have a year off, so your education is not continuous. Even though in your mind you're not non-trad, this essay is for you. I understand what you're saying, because "up until now" your education has been complete.

Thanks olivesolivia... This is great! It looks I'll be able to use an essay I've already written for this... one last thing though, is there a character limit on this essay? That's been my biggest stumbling block, is getting almost identical essay prompts, with different schools asking for 1000 characters, 1500 characters, and 2500 characters respectively. I perfect one, and all the others are either too skimpy or too fluffy...

Again, thanks!

Since Drexel interviews by school (they actually interview people from the same school on the same day and you do NOT get to choose your interview date), I wonder if they're doing this by school/region. This might explain why some people have gotten them so quickly, while others like us have been waiting.

I'm still waiting (verified early June), while people I know who went to the same school as me have already gotten it (verified early June all the way through early July).

Thanks olivesolivia... This is great! It looks I'll be able to use an essay I've already written for this... one last thing though, is there a character limit on this essay? That's been my biggest stumbling block, is getting almost identical essay prompts, with different schools asking for 1000 characters, 1500 characters, and 2500 characters respectively. I perfect one, and all the others are either too skimpy or too fluffy...

Again, thanks!

I'm not sure...since I've already submitted the application, it just shows me the completed view of the app, with no view of character limits and what not. Maybe someone who hasn't already submitted can answer..

is anyone having trouble logging in too?

i keep getting "timeout expired" and some other errors about the server..

i just got the secondary today. i really thought they forgot about me, since i was verified over a month ago

is anyone having trouble logging in too?

i keep getting "timeout expired" and some other errors about the server..

same here. just received the secondary today. emailed admissions, waiting for their reply.

Yep, same boat. IIRC, Drexel is sending them out in "waves". Since Drexel interviews by school (they actually interview people from the same school on the same day and you do NOT get to choose your interview date), I wonder if they're doing this by school/region. This might explain why some people have gotten them so quickly, while others like us have been waiting. Or maybe they're screening this year, but I'd think they'd announce that.

Huh, I didn't know that.

So does that mean if somebody from your undergrad gets an interview for say, Nov 14th, and you didn't and the date comes and goes, you're SOL?

That sucks.

Huh, I didn't know that.

So does that mean if somebody from your undergrad gets an interview for say, Nov 14th, and you didn't and the date comes and goes, you're SOL?

That sucks.

Wait, hold the boat. Bad job of research on my part. I must have been very tired when I was looking at their site the first time (that's the excuse I'm going with at least, I probably need a remedial reading class). This applies ONLY to Special Linkage Program schools. This does not apply to anyone else or any other school. Most people can schedule interviews. I sincerely apologize for the confusion!!!!

Last edited:
I just got my secondary today...

Anyone have problems trying to log-in and access it though? I've been trying off and on for the last 3-4 hours without any luck. It just keeps timing out. Grrrr...

I just got my secondary today...

Anyone have problems trying to log-in and access it though? I've been trying off and on for the last 3-4 hours without any luck. It just keeps timing out. Grrrr...

really? by last name? calimed214. what does your last name start with?

I'm in! And, for what it's worth, I got a reply from Admissions:

Our IT person is working on this problem. Please keep trying.

FINALLY got this secondary today. I was verified 6/9 so I can't believe it took this long, but my last name does begin with T so it definitely could have been alphabetical.

Nope, not alphebetical. My last name starts with "D" and haven't gotten a thing yet.

I don't think it's alphabetical. My last name starts with a W. Also I didn't submit AMCAS until early July and wasn't complete until end of July. So yeah, doesn't seem like there's a pattern really.

I don't think it's alphabetical. My last name starts with a W. Also I didn't submit AMCAS until early July and wasn't complete until end of July. So yeah, doesn't seem like there's a pattern really.

maybe they're going from Z-A? haha

It has been two days since anyone got the secondary...

COME ON!!!! This is one easy secondary that I wanna get done...

Finally got their secondary today. Verified beginning of August and last name begins with L.

Has anyone contacted the Admissions Office? I don't want to be a bother even though it says to call them if you want to know your status and whatnot

what do they mean by Junior College? Also, if I took a non-credited class at a college in High School, like a summer program, should i list that college?

You're going to have a year off, so your education is not continuous. Even though in your mind you're not non-trad, this essay is for you. I understand what you're saying, because "up until now" your education has been complete.

Hm, I may have misinterpreted that question then. I thought they were just asking if you took any breaks while in college. Oh well, hopefully they look at my AMCAS to see all the things I've been doing post-graduation.

yea, i just got mine today and my last name begins with an L too!

Same, I'm an L.

Edit: Wow, not so friendly in the old admissions office. I called to politely clarify that "break in education" question, and the guy's reply was "It's exactly what it sounds like, hold." Ok, obviously I am not sure "what it sounds like," or I wouldn't be calling, would I?

By the way, if you are non-trad, answer that question. Jesus, my question might have been simple, but with the way some of these secondaries are worded, you can't blame us for clarifying.

Last edited:
Got mine today too, but my last name starts with S...I think they're sending them out randomly as far as I can tell

Same, I'm an L.

Edit: Wow, not so friendly in the old admissions office. I called to politely clarify that "break in education" question, and the guy's reply was "It's exactly what it sounds like, hold." Ok, obviously I am not sure "what it sounds like," or I wouldn't be calling, would I?

By the way, if you are non-trad, answer that question. Jesus, my question might have been simple, but with the way some of these secondaries are worded, you can't blame us for clarifying.

got mine too,

LAST NAME: L

Same, I'm an L.

I just called, spoke to a guy also. But he seemed very nice. I told him that I just graduated in May and asked if that question was applicable to me. He thought about it and said no...

So.... yeah... I also have a friend whose applying now and she told me that she marked yes for that question.

--------------

EDIT: I just looked at the status page. And strangely, the application has some wrong info for me. For instance, the salutation was designated "Ms" (I'm a guy). Also, the temporary address which they show is incorrect.

You guys should double check to be safe.

Last edited:
Why can't all schools be like Pritzker who sent me a secondary like the day after I SUBMITTED my AMCAS for review? Now my app has been *verified* for over 10 days & still nothing from some schools.... grrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.