2008-2009 Drexel Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
got an email invite this morning

i scheduled for october 20th (interviewing at boston on the 17th). any suggestions on a reasonably priced place to stay?

good luck to everyone else!

As I've stated previously, Drexel is in a residential area of Philadelphia and doesn't have any hotels in the immediate vicinity. Your best bets for places to stay are probably:

1) City Ave. This is the street that separates Philly from Montgomery County, PA. There are a few hotels such as the Hilton and the Crowne Plaza, but not a ton.

2) Somewhere in Center City (a.k.a Downtown). Drexel Med is right next to the Queen Lane station, so you can take the Septa train (R8) right to campus (or drive).

3) Somewhere in Montgomery County. There are lots of hotels if you leave the confines of Philly.

Members don't see this ad.

Finally got drexel's secondary.

I'm still awaiting my August 22nd MCAT scores, but the secondary asks for them. Should I hold off on submitting the secondary until I have them, or should I just enter the date I took it and submit it anyway?

Finally got drexel's secondary.

I'm still awaiting my August 22nd MCAT scores, but the secondary asks for them. Should I hold off on submitting the secondary until I have them, or should I just enter the date I took it and submit it anyway?

Does the secondary ask for the score itself or just the date of the test? If it just wants the date, I'd go ahead and submit. It'll just let them know that more scores are coming.

Members don't see this ad :)

i scheduled for october 20th (interviewing at boston on the 17th). any suggestions on a reasonably priced place to stay?

Those might be my dates as well!! I'm trying to get my date for BU right now. Maybe we can be interview buddies!! :)

Does the secondary ask for the score itself or just the date of the test? If it just wants the date, I'd go ahead and submit. It'll just let them know that more scores are coming.

It asks for the scores too. Its not labeled as a required field on the secondary though. And they should already know that more scores are coming from my primary app

when the secondary asks:

List extracurricular, other volunteer, or community service activities in chronological order. Start with most recent:

is it appropriate to list hobbies and artistic endeavors here? like how i've been playing piano for 12 years?

I would list the piano playing. I would find it interesting. Plus, it is a unique quality. Just make sure you have other substantial EC's to go along with it.

It asks for the scores too. Its not labeled as a required field on the secondary though. And they should already know that more scores are coming from my primary app

In that case, I would consider how low your first score was. Some schools are a little trigger-happy and may reject an applicant outright because their first set of scores are too low. If your scores are less than ideal, you may feel more comfortable waiting for your new ones to make sure your application gets a fair look. If your scores are average and you just wanted to improve, I'd send the secondary in and get the ball rolling.

I doubt that Drexel won't hold off for a month to see your new scores before making a decision. If it were me, I'd just go ahead and submit.

when the secondary asks:

List extracurricular, other volunteer, or community service activities in chronological order. Start with most recent:

is it appropriate to list hobbies and artistic endeavors here? like how i've been playing piano for 12 years?

Most definitely list it. I listed that sort of stuff on my secondary, and I was accepted. Dr. Hanau, the Associate Dean of Admissions, is very nice and even wanted a copy of my independent research thesis. Things like this set you apart, and from what I can tell, Drexel welcomes it.

In that case, I would consider how low your first score was. Some schools are a little trigger-happy and may reject an applicant outright because their first set of scores are too low. If your scores are less than ideal, you may feel more comfortable waiting for your new ones to make sure your application gets a fair look. If your scores are average and you just wanted to improve, I'd send the secondary in and get the ball rolling.

I doubt that Drexel won't hold off for a month to see your new scores before making a decision. If it were me, I'd just go ahead and submit.

How about Option #3: No scores yet.

How about Option #3: No scores yet.

Ohhhhh. So you don't have any scores at all yet? I was confused because you had mentioned previously that they knew that "MORE scores were coming." If you don't have any scores at all, I'd submit. You won't be complete until they get them, so you can't be rejected before they get them.

:scared:Okay guys I need some reassurance here. I feel super stupid cuz I submitted my secondary, looked at it and realized under 'MAJOR' I spelled Biology wrong! I spelled it 'Biololgy'! ahhhh!! stupid spelling mistake! Its like my only mistake on my amcas and secondary...am i freaking out about nothing?! lol

:scared:Okay guys I need some reassurance here. I feel super stupid cuz I submitted my secondary, looked at it and realized under 'MAJOR' I spelled Biology wrong! I spelled it 'Biololgy'! ahhhh!! stupid spelling mistake! Its like my only mistake on my amcas and secondary...am i freaking out about nothing?! lol

Yes, you are freaking out about nothing. There's nothing you can do about it now, and it's not a big deal at all. Everyone makes typos.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you are freaking out about nothing. There's nothing you can do about it now, and it's not a big deal at all. Everyone makes typos.

LOL...god i'm embarrassed, haha. There are peeps in worse situations and i'm boo hooing over a little typo, lol! :laugh:

As I've stated previously, Drexel is in a residential area of Philadelphia and doesn't have any hotels in the immediate vicinity. Your best bets for places to stay are probably:

1) City Ave. This is the street that separates Philly from Montgomery County, PA. There are a few hotels such as the Hilton and the Crowne Plaza, but not a ton.

2) Somewhere in Center City (a.k.a Downtown). Drexel Med is right next to the Queen Lane station, so you can take the Septa train (R8) right to campus (or drive).

3) Somewhere in Montgomery County. There are lots of hotels if you leave the confines of Philly.

I think they have med student apartments you can crash at too.

So heads up for those who havent been complete at Drexel and sent their secondary in weeks ago. I called them about it today, and they somehow overlooked my LORs arriving, and made me complete. So that kinda sucks, cause it should have happened awhile ago. If you're in doubt, call.

anyone else got put on pre-interview hold? they said that they will re-review my application later in the season. this is so disappointing.

i just checked on the status page. This really blows because i thought i will have a good chance at drexel

i just checked on the status page. This really blows because i thought i will have a good chance at drexel
when were you complete, out of curiousity?

For admission term for you guys, does it say Fall Semester 09-10?

For admission term for you guys, does it say Fall Semester 09-10?
yea. i think it refers to the academic year in which we start...

when were you complete?

i got the equivalent of a pre-interview hold, wheni checked my status. i will be re-evaluated later on

How funny is this: Last Wednesday I finally got my rejection letter (pre-interview) from Drexel for last years cycle. One week later (yesterday morning) I get an interview invitation for this years cycle. Anyway, I just thought the timing was funny. Looking forward to my interview on October 1st. Anyone else going on that day?

Did y'all receive a "app complete" email? I didn't, but on my page it says:

Requirement Received Note Status Application Fee Aug 26, 2008 check Committee Letter of Rec Aug 22, 2008 MCAT Scores Jul 29, 2008 Test Date 01-APR-2008 Supplemental Application Aug 21, 2008
So this DOES mean I'm complete, right?

And on my status page, it just says no decision available yet. How long does it typically take for this to change?

i also got this "Thank you for your application. Your file has been reviewed and will be re-evaluated later in the season for a final decision. " under my status page

I think I've seen that before. In all honesty, that picture doesn't really represent Drexel's undergrad at all. Drexel and Penn (which are next to each other) both have railroad bridges painted like that, and both schools are sort of carved out of a semi-industrial region of Philly. Once you're on the undergrad campus, it's actually kind of nice. They don't have the traditional collegiate architecture, but there's plenty of grassy space, fountains, giant metal dragon, etc.

But none of that really matters because the med school isn't there. We're located in East Falls, a residential area on the northwest edge of Philly. The area is quiet, has a number of parks, and on the weekends they close Kelly Drive (the road that follows the river) so there are tons of bikers, runners, picnic-ers, and all that. The medical campus itself is very safe too. The campus is gated and patrolled by security guards on bike 24-hrs a day. Security will also drive you home at night if you live in the immediate vicinity.

So heads up for those who havent been complete at Drexel and sent their secondary in weeks ago. I called them about it today, and they somehow overlooked my LORs arriving, and made me complete. So that kinda sucks, cause it should have happened awhile ago. If you're in doubt, call.

Man, the exact same thing happened to me, only I probably wouldn't have done anything about it for a few more weeks had you not written this post. Thanks a ton!

In other news, my wife is in labor right now, and I still can't get away from SDN. Pathetic.

that is some good P.R. work there...that will definitely factor into decisions...
Ehhh, i wouldnt let it factor in at all...iVe nevervisited drexel so I wouldnt know whether its aesthetically pleasing or not, but even if it isnt there are definitely more importantthings.

I just thought the articles were funny and I felt like sharing.

In other news, my wife is in labor right now, and I still can't get away from SDN. Pathetic.

May your first child be a masculine child...and if it is a man child, teach him the ways of the MCAT. Let him walk in the path of self-righteousness and gunnerism. Upon the 21st celebration of his birth, bring him to us, and we shall raise him as our own. :smuggrin:

Congrats. :)

a) Congratulations! I hope it is a safe birth for both mom and baby.
b) You make me feel better about my own SDN addiction, thank you.
c) If I were your wife I'd be beating you about the head and shoulders right now! Get off SDN! Go rub her feet or something.

I think I've seen that before. In all honesty, that picture doesn't really represent Drexel's undergrad at all. Drexel and Penn (which are next to each other) both have railroad bridges painted like that, and both schools are sort of carved out of a semi-industrial region of Philly. Once you're on the undergrad campus, it's actually kind of nice. They don't have the traditional collegiate architecture, but there's plenty of grassy space, fountains, giant metal dragon, etc.

But none of that really matters because the med school isn't there. We're located in East Falls, a residential area on the northwest edge of Philly. The area is quiet, has a number of parks, and on the weekends they close Kelly Drive (the road that follows the river) so there are tons of bikers, runners, picnic-ers, and all that. The medical campus itself is very safe too. The campus is gated and patrolled by security guards on bike 24-hrs a day. Security will also drive you home at night if you live in the immediate vicinity.

Do they close Kelly Drive or West River Drive? I thought it was West River Drive?

Quick question: I sent in a fee waiver the last week of august and it still has not posted online. I tried emailing and calling with no answer. How long does it normally take?

Anyone submit letters via interfolio 4-6 weeks ago and still showing up as missing???

^^I waited 1 week after submitting my letters through Interfolio and called up Drexel. They looked up my application and then into their letters database and marked my application complete right then. I would give them a call asap.

Btw, I got an invite today from them, does anyone know of a good hotel nearby or parking? I plan on driving there. Thanks!

^^I waited 1 week after submitting my letters through Interfolio and called up Drexel. They looked up my application and then into their letters database and marked my application complete right then. I would give them a call asap.

Btw, I got an invite today from them, does anyone know of a good hotel nearby or parking? I plan on driving there. Thanks!

There's a visitor lot that costs something, but I don't know how much. There's also plenty of street parking, but the spots nearest to campus will probably fill up before you arrive. Nevertheless, a block or so in any direction and you'll find something open. Watch out for 2-hr parking, etc.

For hotels, it's a little tougher. The campus is in East Falls, a residential area of Philly, so there's nothing really close by. Your best bet is either on City Ave. or downtown. You can also check out places in Montgomery County, which borders Philly.

a) Congratulations! I hope it is a safe birth for both mom and baby.
b) You make me feel better about my own SDN addiction, thank you.
c) If I were your wife I'd be beating you about the head and shoulders right now! Get off SDN! Go rub her feet or something.

Thanks! Mom and baby are okay, after 30 hours of labor and a c-section! Haha, I put the SDN away after mom and baby dialated to about a 4, that's when things got more serious. She slowly progressed to about a 7, then just couldn't get past that. The OB put in an internal monitor to see if the contractions were strong enough to be moving past a 7, and they were off the charts. Baby's head just couldn't get through Mama's little hips.

So, we decided on a c-section. I got to see my wife's ovaries! Now mom and baby are asleep, and before eating or sleeping myself, I'm back here. Great.

Congrats Bruce!!

"Thank you for your application. Your file has been reviewed and will be re-evaluated later in the season for a final decision."

Damn.

No thanks for me? :( I guess you didn't enjoy the "Godfather"...

Sweetie, I'm guessing (hoping?) he was skimming. It was your godfather reference that originally caught my eye about his big news, very clever. :)

Bruce - congrats! It's a little weird that you've seen your wife's ovaries. I think it's only fair that you...uh. Nevermind. What'd you name the baby?

Sweetie, I'm guessing (hoping?) he was skimming. It was your godfather reference that originally caught my eye about his big news, very clever. :)

Thanks for your pity. :(

:laugh: J/K

There's a visitor lot that costs something, but I don't know how much. There's also plenty of street parking, but the spots nearest to campus will probably fill up before you arrive. Nevertheless, a block or so in any direction and you'll find something open. Watch out for 2-hr parking, etc.

For hotels, it's a little tougher. The campus is in East Falls, a residential area of Philly, so there's nothing really close by. Your best bet is either on City Ave. or downtown. You can also check out places in Montgomery County, which borders Philly.

$5 for the visitor lot. Just pay it, it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.