2008-2009 Georgetown Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked about a week ago but go no response- my interview is March 4th... What's the deal with this early second look day? Am I to assume that I'm just interviewing for no reason? Anyone else interviewing then?

As a student here who has helped the admissions committee with feedback, I can offer this bit of info regarding the 2nd look day.

Georgetown has seen a large number of students become accepted (straight up, or off the CAP) and ultimately choose other schools. Why this happens, I don't think anyone knows. Although there does seem to be some negative views of Georgetown out there. I'm not sure if that is just on these boards, or just a general perception. At any rate, the admissions committee has received a lot of feedback from first year students and they opted to try this second look day. It was a reluctant decision (still not sure why), but they are going to try it out. I honestly think that the date they chose is a bit early, but I also think that because it was unplanned until they had already begun accepting students, they had to pick the best day that worked, and it happened to be before the interviews ended. Interviewing in March is not futile, but be sure to make the most of your visit when you're here as you won't get a second look day later I would guess. It is strictly a way for early accepted students to explore Georgetown further.

My only guess as to why they do this is because by that time, they may have already accepted a full class and interview for the CAP here on out. In essence, having it any later makes no real difference when you look at it that way. Don't be discouraged by that though, I got into Georgetown 2 days before orientation and interviewed quite late.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be discouraged by that? Are you ****ing kidding me, man?

Don't be discouraged by that? Are you ****ing kidding me, man?

Absolutely not. The first part of the post should actually offer reassurance, as the rest of the thread. Getting on the CAP means you've got a decent shot at an acceptance if you're willing to make the effort to prove that Georgetown is your kind of school (via a letter or sending me a bunch of money). Seriously though, there is a large amount of movement.

I can appreciate the paranoia and negative view of waitlists, I was there, at three different schools. Most view waitlists as Purgatory, while others view them as an opportunity. I feel as though the latter are the ones who receive the acceptances. My best advice for CAP folk is to take action...it will never work against you.

Keep in mind that I do not necessarily agree with this whole "letter writing process" that seems to have become the norm for CAP applicants, but unfortunately, you have to play by the rules of the adcom.

(To add to what I said before, the truly depressing fact is that most schools are interviewing for waitlists once you get into March. No one likes to admit it, but it is true for most schools. That is not to say that people who interview late will not get outright acceptances, but a CAP is more likely)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just thought they don't really look at the CAP much until February anyway. You telling me that they've already filled the class freaked me out pretty thoroughly.

I'm so tired of this ****. If I didn't have the gym to keep me sane, I'd be a herniated mess. I think I'm going to take a break from SDN until I get accepted somewhere or find something new to do with my life post failing to do so.

I just thought they don't really look at the CAP much until February anyway. You telling me that they've already filled the class freaked me out pretty thoroughly.

I'm so tired of this ****. If I didn't have the gym to keep me sane, I'd be a herniated mess. I think I'm going to take a break from SDN until I get accepted somewhere or find something new to do with my life post failing to do so.

I couldn't have offered better advice myself. I only started coming back on here occasionally once I actually got into school. Everything on these boards is speculation and hearsay. The truly only good use of SDN is to find out when MCAT scores are released and if people in your interview group are hearing news. Everything else just ends up being silly arguments (at least on the pre-med boards...the med/rotation boards seem a little better)

And don't be freaked out. If you've got an interview, you have almost just an equal chance as the first guy to interview. Some may argue a different point, but if they like you as much as the first person, you'll either get an accept or put high up on their wait list. At which point you would get accepted as soon as someone ditched their spot. No reason to get worked up, you'll become a doctor either way, you just don't know it yet.

I have a hard time believing that the class is full. It took me 11 weeks to recieve a response after my interview, that means that people who interviewed in mid december are just finding out now. I dont think the class would be full, It may be, but this is just my opinion. As to why they are having such an early second look day i do not know. It may well be because it was the only suitable time. It could also be because the people who interviewed very early are more likely to have multiple acceptances and this might be a way for the school to let its accepted apps determine if Georgetown is the place for them or not a lot earlier than May 15th. This could be potentially good for those on the CAP because it would open up spots earlier (this is probably wishfull thinking).

Georgetown accepts an excess of 400 students (immediatly or off the waitlist) to fill the spots. After the interview Ms. Sullivan said they CAP 700+ individuals. From feedback on this thread people also get rejected. That means that they arent accepting many people directly post interview. It was said at my interview, 135 of 180 people who wrote letters were accepted. Thats good odds.

My advice (that i wish i could actually listen to), would be to just be patient. It is probable that many of us wont hear anything until the middle to the end of Maywhen people have to give up all but one acceptance.

If you have sent in your letter that is all you can do. Just sit tight and keep strong in your faith.

I am just as knowledgeable here about most of this stuff as anyone else (read: I am not superior or claim to know that much more about this whole deal), maybe with a "very small" amount of extra info on Georgetown specifically. Georgetown clearly operates a little differently (with this whole letter thing) and the class probably isn't FULL at this point. However, they can only give out so many accepts, and since students can hang on to as many as they want until May 15, they cant give out more than a certain number. So, say in February they have 194 (class size) accepts out, and can only cap people. A week later, 20 of those accepted people choose to go to the Caribbean instead (or any other school). Now they have 20 more acceptances to pass out. Whether those go to CAP applicants or people who are still interviewing is anyones guess. I would guess both. If they only went to CAP applicants, that means ALL interviewees past a certain point end up CAP or reject. If it only goes to new interviews, that puts all CAP folk at a disadvantage. Bottom line, I think that the interview date is actually not as relevant as people think. I do agree to some extent with the whole early submitting yields more interviews, but once you GET the interview, I think the playing field levels off quite a bit more. What I was getting at somewhere along the thread is that despite this peculiar early date for the second look day, don't assume that an interview in March is a waste of time.

An important person in my life often says to me "positive thoughts bring positive things". For whatever reason, there seems to be a lot of pessimism out there. Keep your spirits high, enjoy life before you submit everything to medicine. I can tell you all one thing: If you are a regular in this forum, you'll be in med school somewhere... only the most neurotic people hang out on here and won't stop till they get in somewhere.

For anyone who attended Georgetown's second-look day on the 20th: what did you guys think of the school and the second-look day? I am a first year who wanted to help out with the day but had scheduling issues. I'm just curious to see what anyone thought of it? Thanks.

For anyone who attended Georgetown's second-look day on the 20th: what did you guys think of the school and the second-look day? I am a first year who wanted to help out with the day but had scheduling issues. I'm just curious to see what anyone thought of it? Thanks.

I had a lot of fun and thought it went really well overall. Getting to go into the anatomy labs and see the cadavers was really cool and unexpected, and the M1-accepted student social at epicurean was a really good!

From Mrs. Sullivan (2/23/2009),

Thank you for your email.

You may send an updated version, and/or any information you feel would be helpful in evaluating your interest and your application.Dr. Lauerman has already given accepts to letter writers, so it might be in your best interest to write him again.

I hope this is helpful.

I'm sorry, I can only pour all my hope and emotion into one letter per year. Fortunately, I'm attending another med school in the area but at the time I wrote the letter I was sincere. I did limit it to one page so that probably hurt me in this crazy game they play.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From Mrs. Sullivan (2/23/2009),

Thank you for your email.

You may send an updated version, and/or any information you feel would be helpful in evaluating your interest and your application.Dr. Lauerman has already given accepts to letter writers, so it might be in your best interest to write him again.

I hope this is helpful.

I'm sorry, I can only pour all my hope and emotion into one letter per year. Fortunately, I'm attending another med school in the area but at the time I wrote the letter I was sincere. I did limit it to one page so that probably hurt me in this crazy game they play.

Amen brotha.

Did you get this email too? What exactly does it mean?

When did you submit a letter?

I sent in my letter 11/20/08. Interviewed sometime in September. If you really want in, it seems like you should send letters in monthly until they take you off CAP. I'm sure my lack of persistence did me in more than the strength of my letter. They should really build some concrete guidelines into this whole thing. They say one page, but other kids write 2+ (I even heard one guy wrote 5 or 6 the day after his interview at the airport). All those kids got in. I did what was asked of me assuming anything more would show arrogance and poor discipline, but I was wrong. Lesson to learn for those gunning for this school: write an essay, with chapters, and submit them weekly. :)

My Gtown experience mirrors Giuseppe's, and I agree with his opinion. I am not the writer, so there for I am still on the CAP.

Would you guys suggest writing letters before they reach a decision about your application? Or should you wait til you are CAP'd?

Would you guys suggest writing letters before they reach a decision about your application? Or should you wait til you are CAP'd?

I wrote one before the decision was made. Ms. Sullivan instructed me to write 1.5 paragraphs. I still ended up in the CAP. The difference i think is that Dr. Lauerman reads the CAP letters whereas the committee will read your letter if you send it in before you are actually CAP'd. With that, i would say it would not hurt you if you wrote it.

Interviewed 1/5, CAP'ed 2/24. oh well.

I have some other great acceptances so I'll take the weekend to decide whether or not i want to stay on...

wait, do you get a call if you are accepted? or is it just a letter?

LilDoc - when did you interview??

I interviewed 1/5. Good luck to everyone waiting!

anyone who wrote a letter after getting a waitlist hear anything positive lately?

for people on the CAP list - what size was the envelope that you received?

for people accepted - what size was the envelope that you received?

I interviewed Jan 29th and still waiting. I think I have a few more weeks to go...

for people on the CAP list - what size was the envelope that you received?

for people accepted - what size was the envelope that you received?

I interviewed Jan 29th and still waiting. I think I have a few more weeks to go...

My acceptance came in a small but somewhat thick envelope (it really looked more like what I thought a CAP letter would look like). Hope that helps! Good luck.

hey everyone, just wanted to say hang it there for the people on the waitlist. Im a 4th year at GT who helped interview applicants this year. Let me tell you that I was originally waitlisted and after writing my letter to Lauerman was accepted. Georgetown Interviews around 1000 students and waitlists many. We want to see people who really want to come to Gtown (have a good reason and will make a good fit). Its not just about the grades and MCAT. Good luck to all!

Hey, quick question. Where do we send the CAP letter, and to whom do we address it?

Address letter to: Dr. William C. Lauerman, MD
Send letter as attachment to Mrs. Donna Sullivan at [email protected]

3 paragraph letter (limit to one page) about why you want to go to Georgetown/why you feel it is a good fit.

Hope this helps
see above

hey everyone, just wanted to say hang it there for the people on the waitlist. Im a 4th year at GT who helped interview applicants this year. Let me tell you that I was originally waitlisted and after writing my letter to Lauerman was accepted. Georgetown Interviews around 1000 students and waitlists many. We want to see people who really want to come to Gtown (have a good reason and will make a good fit). Its not just about the grades and MCAT. Good luck to all!
Hi Blaise,

I interviewed Jan 29th. Do you have any idea when I may be reviewed by the committee?

Thanks for the previous feedback and encouragement!

hello,

first time posting after hanging around student doc for a while. i recently interviewed at gtown and i really clicked with my interviewer, BUT i completely forgot her name due to recent chaos in my life. in any case, i really want to write her a thank you note b/c she was by far one of the best interviewers i've had so i was wondering if somebody could tell me her name. she's in her last year and she's a MD/PhD (did her PhD in oncology). i would really appreciate it if someone could help me out! i still can't believe i forgot her name b/c i usually have a pretty good memory. feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting her name on the forum. thanks! :)

hello,

first time posting after hanging around student doc for a while. i recently interviewed at gtown and i really clicked with my interviewer, BUT i completely forgot her name due to recent chaos in my life. in any case, i really want to write her a thank you note b/c she was by far one of the best interviewers i've had so i was wondering if somebody could tell me her name. she's in her last year and she's a MD/PhD (did her PhD in oncology). i would really appreciate it if someone could help me out! i still can't believe i forgot her name b/c i usually have a pretty good memory. feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting her name on the forum. thanks! :)

Does this help?

http://www3.georgetown.edu/gumc/departments/mcgrad/mdphd/currstud.html

This is probably the most prestigious, (by main stream standards) and best ranked school I have been accepted to at this point. However, I have already been offered a full ride somewhere else so unless these guys give me some sort of scholarship, I don't think I can stomach the $60,000 a year expense.

This is probably the most prestigious, (by main stream standards) and best ranked school I have been accepted to at this point. However, I have already been offered a full ride somewhere else so unless these guys give me some sort of scholarship, I don't think I can stomach the $60,000 a year expense.

$60,000?? Ha, cost of attendance just went to $71,000 this year.

interviewed 2/3.... anyone else heard anything if youve interviewed around that time????

interviewed 1/29 and nothing yet...

interviewed 1.21.09 accepted 3.16.09 it was 8 weeks exactly since my interview, hope that helps!

Georgetown University School of Medicine 2009 match list

Anesthesiology:
Georgetown x3
UCSF
SAUSHEC
UC Irvine
Maine Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University
BI Deaconess Med Ctr MA

Dermatology:
U Texas Medical School Houston
SUNY Brooklyn - NY
UMDNJ RW Johnson

Emergency Medicine:
Loma Linda University
University of Wisconsin
Mt Sinai Hospital
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
USC
UC Irvine
University of Virginia
BI Deaconess Med Ctr MA
Johns Hopkins
Madigan Army Medical Center
U Texas SW Dallas
U Utah Affil Hospitals
Maricopa Med Ctr AZ

Family Medicine:
Memorial Hermann Hosp TX
University of Maryland
West Suburban Med Ctr IL
USAF Regional Hospital FL
Lancaster Gen Hospital PA
Sutter Health CA
Albert Einstein / Montefiore
Stanislaus Health Serv CA

General Surgery:
U Utah Affil Hospitals
Northwestern
Duke
Loyola Univ Med Ctr IL
Georgetown
St. Vincents Hospital
Eisenhower Army Medical Center
University of Colorado
National Naval Med Ctr MD

Internal Medicine:
Georgetown x12
Northwestern x4
Mt Sinai Hospital x3
National Naval Med Ctr MD x3
University of Virginia x2
BI Deaconess Med Ctr MA
Tufts
SAUSHEC
Baylor
UCLA
University of Chicago
Emory
Cedars-Sinai CA
UC Davis Med Ctr
NYU
Yale
Columbia
Penn
U Texas SW Dallas
U Texas Galveston
University of Michigan
University of Colorado
UC San Diego
Tulane

Medicine - Emergency Medicine:
Long Island Jewish - NY

Medicine - Pediatrics:
Georgetown x2

Medicine - Primary Care:
Massachusetts General Hospital

Neurology:
Georgetown x3
Yale
Stanford

Neurosurgery:
U Utah Affil Hospitals
University of Arizona Affil Hospitals
University of Colorado
Mayo - MN

OBGYN:
George Washington University
University of Hawaii
Tulane
Northwestern
Columbia
Georgetown
University of Virginia
Christiana Care - DE
NYU
Santa Clara Valley CA
U Utah Affil Hospitals
Dartmouth

Ophthalmology:
Georgetown Univ / Washington Hospital Center x3
North Shore - LI Jewish
NYU
St. Lukes/ Roosevelt

Orthopaedics:
Georgetown x3
Emory
Hospital for Special Surgery NY
Columbia
Northwestern
Albert Einstein / Montefiore
Oregon Health Sciences University
Grands Rapids Med Ed MI
NCC Walter Reed
National Naval Med Ctr MD
Drexel University
Temple University
UC Irvine
UMDNJ New Jersey Med-Newark

Otolaryngology:
Georgetown
UCLA
Mayo - MN
University of Kentucky

Pathology:
Columbia
Johns Hopkins

Pediatrics:
Georgetown x2
Children’s National Medical Ctr x2
Johns Hopkins x2
Cornell x2
UCLA x2
NYU
St. Christophers Hosp PA
U Florida COM - Shands Hosp
UC Davis Med Ctr
Naval Medical Center CA
Westchester Med Ctr NY
U Alabama - Birmingham
Case Western
Northwestern
North Shore - LI Jewish
SAUSHEC
NCC Walter Reed
Wake Forest

Phy Med Rehab:
Barnes Jewish WUSTL

Plastic Surgery:
Medical College of Wisconsin

Psychiatry:
UC San Diego
Naval Medical Center CA
University of Illinois - Chicago
University of Maryland

Radiology:
Georgetown
University of Chicago
Cedars-Sinai CA
Emory
NCC Walter Reed
Boston University

Research:
1 person (no program or field listed)

Urology:
Indiana Univ School of Medicine

Surgery-Prelim:
Washington Hospital Center
UCLA
University of Virginia
Washington Hospital Center
University of Colorado
University of Virginia

Medicine - Preliminary:
University of Maryland
Pennsylvania Hospital

I got accepted after the official second look day for Georgetown, so I'm thinking about heading to DC within the next few weeks to check it out on my own again. Has anyone else visited recently, on this sort of unofficial second look, and know if its possible to sit in on a class, meet with more students? Any other accepted students thinking about making a trip soon and might want to get together?

Just got an email from Georgetown today telling me they weren't going to tell me my decision until May 12-- a whole month later than they had originally said :(

Status
Not open for further replies.