2008-2009 Georgetown Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, Gtown's second look day is on Friday, Februrary 20th. This seems really early, and I'm not sure if I will be able to go just because of the short notice. I'd love to be there, and I will probably stop by later in the year as May 15th comes closer.

Members don't see this ad.

does georgetown send interview invites by snail mail or email?

Georgetown sends interview invites by email.

Does anyone know why their second look day is before they end their interviews? What happens to those that interview post Feb 20th?

Members don't see this ad :)
this school is a disgrace to medicine really. i mean so many students go there because they didn't get in anywhere. also, they won't show how to perform abortions and other procedures that are not in compliance with their "jesuit" philosophy. please keep your idiotic philosophy to yourself. learn something from the east. like Hinduism and Buddhism about medicine and healing. Also, I was very disappointed by the ego of mrs. or ms. sullivan. I think she has a major deciding factor on who gets in or not, which is totally ridiculous.

Although I regret getting the rejection, I have other acceptances. I am not mad because of my rejection but I was very disaapointed with this school overall. Plus, it's ridiculously expensive. They probably donate most of their money to roman catholic church anyways and shortchange the facilities and equipments that they provide to its students.

Good luck to the rest of you who are going there. peace!

this school is a disgrace to medicine really. i mean so many students go there because they didn't get in anywhere. also, they won't show how to perform abortions and other procedures that are not in compliance with their "jesuit" philosophy. please keep your idiotic philosophy to yourself. learn something from the east. like Hinduism and Buddhism about medicine and healing. Also, I was very disappointed by the ego of mrs. or ms. sullivan. I think she has a major deciding factor on who gets in or not, which is totally ridiculous.

Although I regret getting the rejection, I have other acceptances. I am not mad because of my rejection but I was very disaapointed with this school overall. Plus, it's ridiculously expensive. They probably donate most of their money to roman catholic church anyways and shortchange the facilities and equipments that they provide to its students.

Wow. I guess when they told us you either "click" with Georgetown or you don't, they weren't kidding! :laugh: If you really feel that way about the school, then it's probably for the best that you don't have to consider it anymore.

Personally, I actually like the philosophy and don't feel it detracts from the medical education at all. Also, I have multiple other acceptances but I am still seriously considering Georgetown, so I hardly think the students just go there because they "didn't get in anywhere."

"Disgrace to medicine?" LOL.

Regardless, I still enjoyed your post and hope you are happy wherever you end up. :p

First off, sorry about the rejection.

However, calling the Jesuit philosophy "idiotic" is absurd. I understand that you do not agree with it, but that does not mean it is wrong. Not all, but some students at Georgetown do believe in this philosophy, and MANY Catholics around the world share the same beliefs also.

Just be happy it's not your only acceptance.

I understand. But you see they are attempting to impose their philosophy on their students even though they disguise it. It's part of the proselytizing process of Christianity. I always hated debating about religion because it does not accomplish anything. That time is better spent gaining knowledge, or enjoying your life. But, this is different. You cannot just impose your beliefs on people at will just because you are very passionate about them. See I do not have a problem with having a strong jesuit influence. But at the same time, you cannot tell students we won't show/inform you this or that because it does not comply with our institution's background.

From the four main religions of the world that most people follow, only two (technically one) are/is not proselytizing . Hinduism and Buddhism (I said one because buddhism originated from principles of hindu holy scriptures). But anyways, that is how I feel.

Also, mrs. sullivan just amazes me. I don't know if this occurs at other interviews, but during my interview she called out only certain people to share their opinion on something she asked and then she in essence "verbally slapped" these people with her and georgetowns' views. I remember this very well because it included me among other 3 students out of nine total students. It seemed like she did that on the basis of our grades, MCAT, and our first impression, which probably made her think that we were "gunners" or something of that nature.

Anyways, I wish everyone attending georgetown best wishes in their future endeavors.

Okay. So I am starting to get worried. My decision was mailed last tuesday. It has now been a whole week and i havent gotten it. I only live 90 miles away. I have concluded that i am not being rejected because i recieved a FA email that is only sent to accepted and waitlisted students. This was sent after my decision was released.

Any suggestions on what to do? I am about to drive down and have them tell me to my face. haha

Private institutions can enact just about any policy they choose. And please, I encourage you to tell me at what school you will be learning about performing abortions. Ridiculous.

And Ms. Sullivan may, in fact, be one of the most brilliant people I have ever had the pleasure of speaking to. Absolutely amazing woman.

Golf, just call the office and explain your situation?

I understand. But you see they are attempting to impose their philosophy on their students even though they disguise it. It's part of the proselytizing process of Christianity. I always hated debating about religion because it does not accomplish anything. That time is better spent gaining knowledge, or enjoying your life. But, this is different. You cannot just impose your beliefs on people at will just because you are very passionate about them. See I do not have a problem with having a strong jesuit influence. But at the same time, you cannot tell students we won't show/inform you this or that because it does not comply with our institution's background.

From the four main religions of the world that most people follow, only two (technically one) are/is not proselytizing . Hinduism and Buddhism (I said one because buddhism originated from principles of hindu holy scriptures). But anyways, that is how I feel.

Also, mrs. sullivan just amazes me. I don't know if this occurs at other interviews, but during my interview she called out only certain people to share their opinion on something she asked and then she in essence "verbally slapped" these people with her and georgetowns' views. I remember this very well because it included me among other 3 students out of nine total students. It seemed like she did that on the basis of our grades, MCAT, and our first impression, which probably made her think that we were "gunners" or something of that nature.

Anyways, I wish everyone attending georgetown best wishes in their future endeavors.

Umm, first of all their "philosophy" isn't that imposing at all. Talk to the med students there, they will tell you it hasn't been a big deal, and the students I talked to weren't religious at all. At Retsage noted, its a private school. They can do whatever they want. If they really wanted to impose strict beliefs, require students to attend mass, convert to Catholicism...they could! They don't exist to cater to you or anyone else. If you don't like it (which you don't), get over it. I am sorry to hear that you didn't like your interview experience because I enjoyed mine. Best of luck in the future, but don't go about generalizing that everyone who attends only goes because they "couldn't get in elsewhere" because that is flat out not true.

Private institutions can enact just about any policy they choose. And please, I encourage you to tell me at what school you will be learning about performing abortions. Ridiculous.

And Ms. Sullivan may, in fact, be one of the most brilliant people I have ever had the pleasure of speaking to. Absolutely amazing woman.

Golf, just call the office and explain your situation?

Yeah. You are right about private institutions being able to do anything they want. That is why our economy is in a ****hole.

But, I respect your opinion.

I think we got different impressions on this issue. When someone in my interview group asked Ms. Sullivan specifically about Georgetown's policy on abortion in the curriculum, the answer we got was that Georgetown students are free to seek out education and training in procedures like abortions, but that the school itself doesn't provide this directly in accordance with their philosophy. To me, this means Georgetown isn't imposing their philosophy on students, but merely adhering to the philosophy they clearly set out in all their literature, information, and interview day materials. And like they said over and over at the interview, if that policy is going to be a big stumbling block for you, then you shouldn't go there.

So basically, as a Georgetown student, you are free to learn and investigate whatever you want, only you will have to take some extra initiative when it comes to the few topics they don't teach directly. And for the record, I'm not religious whatsoever and I'm fine with their policies. If I wanted to perform abortions as a significant part of my future career in medicine, however, I might think twice about Georgetown. But honestly, I don't really think procedures like abortions are a major topic in any standard medical school curriculum anyway. You'd probably have to seek out these opportunities yourself regardless of where you go.

Okay. So I am starting to get worried. My decision was mailed last tuesday. It has now been a whole week and i havent gotten it. I only live 90 miles away. I have concluded that i am not being rejected because i recieved a FA email that is only sent to accepted and waitlisted students. This was sent after my decision was released.

Any suggestions on what to do? I am about to drive down and have them tell me to my face. haha

If you are talking about the financial aid email I got, this was what it said at the bottom:

"This e-mail is being sent to applicants to Georgetown University School of Medicine who have been accepted, are in the competative applicant pool (waitlist), those who have interviewed but no decision has been released, and those who have been invited for an interview but who have not yet interviewed."

So you might not want to make any conclusions just yet. If you got the criminal background check email, though, that seems to be a good sign of acceptance. Their mailings are notoriously slow.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well said! :thumbup:

And I agree entirely about Ms. Sullivan, too. I'm really hoping she'll speak again at Second Look Day, because her interview lecture was one of the best overall talks I have heard in a long time.

I want to take a whole class from her!

Hmmm...... I'm not sure we interviewed at the same school? I know being rejected sucks, but don't let your spite cloud your opinions.

Many of the issues you cite Ms. Sullivan addresses specifically. She was an absolute delight to talk to, for me, and rivals Dean Witzburg from BU in charismatic impassioned speakers in my book.

Best of luck. But in the meantime why don't you reflect on this process and see if you are getting out of it what others are. There was a very elegant post a few days ago about what you can get out of this process in self-discovery leading into, arguably, the most important years of our lives. Good luck!

Never posted this before, but I think this situation warrants it:
:troll:

Georgetown sends interview invites by email.

Does anyone know why their second look day is before they end their interviews? What happens to those that interview post Feb 20th?

I agree. I just got in recently, and Feb 20th is too short of notice for me to be able to attend (and I really wanted to!). Maybe they will organize something for the rest of us?

If you are talking about the financial aid email I got, this was what it said at the bottom:

"This e-mail is being sent to applicants to Georgetown University School of Medicine who have been accepted, are in the competative applicant pool (waitlist), those who have interviewed but no decision has been released, and those who have been invited for an interview but who have not yet interviewed."

So you might not want to make any conclusions just yet. If you got the criminal background check email, though, that seems to be a good sign of acceptance. Their mailings are notoriously slow.

Ohh trust me, I am not making an conclusions. However, my decision was released days before that email was sent. I also called and tried to figure out if it ment i wasnt getting rejected and the staff member said i could probably assume that.

Now, with my luck. I am deff going to get a rejection just for making this post... haha. I hope not, but man i wish that letter would hurry up and get to me. I am pretty sure if it isnt a rejection it will be a wiatlist, but i want to know so I can go ahead and send in the 3 paragraph letter i worte a month ago, lol.

Has anyone recently accepted gotten the CBC email?

Ohh trust me, I am not making an conclusions. However, my decision was released days before that email was sent. I also called and tried to figure out if it ment i wasnt getting rejected and the staff member said i could probably assume that.

Now, with my luck. I am deff going to get a rejection just for making this post... haha. I hope not, but man i wish that letter would hurry up and get to me. I am pretty sure if it isnt a rejection it will be a wiatlist, but i want to know so I can go ahead and send in the 3 paragraph letter i worte a month ago, lol.

I got the email and was accepted like a week ago.

I agree. I just got in recently, and Feb 20th is too short of notice for me to be able to attend (and I really wanted to!). Maybe they will organize something for the rest of us?

maybe they are intentionally being earlier than a lot of schools, especially all the top 25's that don't release decisions until march and are trying to win over some people that wouldn't give them a 2nd thought once their acceptances come in from higher ranked schools.

Has anyone who interviewed in December received a decision or an email from admissions? I interviewed Dec. 1 and am starting to get nervous since its been over 9 weeks.

i thought mrs sullivan was a little intense... not sure how i felt about georgetown..

That's been happening to a lot of people, including me. I got CBC and 2nd look email before getting the letter 4-5 days later.

On a side note, this is one of the things that made me turn down Gtown over a similarly ranked school. Why can't you just tell people their decisions over the phone or via email? That, combined with strict grading curve, kinda suggest to me that the administration is stuck in the 50's, which would be very frustrating as a student.

Question: All you guys or gals with multiple acceptances...did you receive a CBC email each time? Thanks!

Question: All you guys or gals with multiple acceptances...did you receive a CBC email each time? Thanks!

Yeah, I got a CBC email from my first acceptance that involved setting up an account with the background check people and consenting to the investigation. They completed the check and sent that to the first school back in the fall. I then got a second email when I got into G-town last month that basically just wanted me to recheck the findings from the first report and release it again. It was pretty easy.

It also depends on if the schools are participating in the AAMC background check program, because those are the only schools that have contacted me about a CBC. The other schools I've been accepted at haven't mentioned it at all as of yet. You can check the AAMC CBC list here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm I guess the other schools conduct their own at a later date?

Last edited:

No, I have 3 acceptances (Iowa, Creighton, Georgetown) and have recieved one CBC email. I just got into Gtown recently, so maybe that email is still on the way.

No, I have 3 acceptances (Iowa, Creighton, Georgetown) and have recieved one CBC email. I just got into Gtown recently, so maybe that email is still on the way.

no decicco. my post was not a troll. There was a lot of truth in that post.

Also, I agree that private institutions can do anything that they please.
So, that is why our economy is in a such dire situation.

I would be happy if georgetown just sticked with teaching medicine. Period.
No need for ms. sullivan to say that Georgetown isn't for everyone and things of that nature.
I mean imagine if someone got CAPed at georgtown and did not get in anywhere else. I am sure this happens to so many people, which is another reason why georgetown caps so many people and the difference btw. accepted and matriculated applicants being very large. So, this person has to forcefully write a letter about why they want to attend georgetown. (and they would HAVE to include something about jesuit philosophy and all of that jazz). Why forcefully you may ask? Because this person wants to become a doctor and to become a doctor you have to go to a medical school. If you don't include something about connecting your personal experiences with their philosphy of beliefs they most likely will just trash the letter.

I am sure there are enrolled students who are happy with their philosophy. But, you cannot help but think that most people are their just because they didn't get in other places (I am not doubting their ability to become a compotent doctor, of course) and they have to seem like they "fit in" holistically even though they intuitively know that they don't. I mean my tour guide said with no shame or hesitancy that he came to georgetown because it's the only place he got accepted. And I know other people's tour guide experiences were similar from what I read on the feedback page and this thread.

And, I have reflected positively on the admission process. I simply wanted to say what I felt. I was going to make this post regardless of an acceptance, CAP, or rejection. I did not start this debate because of my cathartic release.

Hey, *******. You are going to be the disgrace to medicine, not Georgetown. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you have to go around talking **** about other people's school. That doesn't really jive with the "eastern philosophy" you really care about, does it? I don't think Buddhists go around talking **** about Taoists and vice-versa. I was actually impressed by Georgetown and would possibly go there, despite being accepted at UVA and other schools that might have a higher rank. And you must not have been listening, they won't show you an abortion because the hospital doesn't do them, but they're not making a value judgement here, they will set up an appointment for any student to go to another hospital to see abortions done, or any other procedure done, if they so please. If you hated georgtown, why would you be disappointed by the rejection? That's "totally ridiculous" as you like to say in your 8th grade English diction.

PEACE

Unfortunately it puts asterisks in place of my swear words. The first word is a-hole, second and third words are what comes out of the a-hole.

:laugh:

I think we could have pieced it together.

So...

What is everyone excited for at Georgetown? I think the area is absolutely beautiful, as is the undergrad campus. And, I love the Jesuit philosophy and how passionate Ms. Sullivan and others (esp the students!) are about it. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Hey, *******. You are going to be the disgrace to medicine, not Georgetown. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you have to go around talking **** about other people's school. That doesn't really jive with the "eastern philosophy" you really care about, does it? I don't think Buddhists go around talking **** about Taoists and vice-versa. I was actually impressed by Georgetown and would possibly go there, despite being accepted at UVA and other schools that might have a higher rank. And you must not have been listening, they won't show you an abortion because the hospital doesn't do them, but they're not making a value judgement here, they will set up an appointment for any student to go to another hospital to see abortions done, or any other procedure done, if they so please. If you hated georgtown, why would you be disappointed by the rejection? That's "totally ridiculous" as you like to say in your 8th grade English diction.

PEACE

First off, my 8th grade English diction. Wow, I am insulted. Take a look at your diction. This is an anonymous and informal forum.

But, you have completely misunderstood what I said. I never said jesuit philosophy was crap. I never criticized it. You need to start reading my posts more carefully. I criticized the way Georgetown uses it to teach medicine. I am fine with Georgetown being affiliated with Jesuit tradition. Okay.

Also, if you read today's post I said that the students who go to Georgetown are just as capable of becoming competent doctors as students who attended other medical schools. During my residency, if I happen to know that someone graduated from Georgetown, I am not going to think of him or her as incompetent or ill-informed.

And, we in the "eastern" world do not curse each other out just because there is disagreement.

So, I do not have a problem with Georgetown's jesuit affiliation nor do I have a problem with its students. I never stated/implied this in my posts. I just have a problem with Georgetown attempting to use the philosophy and integrate into teaching medicine. That is all. So, calm down guys. I don't hate Georgetown nor its students like I have said before.

Stop resorting to cursing and hatred. Is that all your parents have taught you? Most likely not.

oh and btw, I am 20 years old and have graduated from college . Chances are that you are older than I am. So, please get mature or learn self-restraint because your patients will not put up with you cursing at them.

Last edited:
Chatting with Ms. Sullivan and getting to work in policy with politicians for my project (they said they could hook me up). Now if I would just get off the damn CAP.

I'm sure you will! Opportunities to work with the NIH and do rotations at Walter Reed sound pretty awesome too.

First off, my 8th grade English diction. Wow, I am insulted. Take a look at your diction. This is an anonymous and informal forum.

But, you have completely misunderstood what I said. I never said jesuit philosophy was crap. I never criticized it. You need to start reading my posts more carefully. I criticized the way Georgetown uses it to teach medicine. I am fine with Georgetown being affiliated with Jesuit tradition. Okay.

Also, if you read today's post I said that the students who go to Georgetown are just as capable of becoming competent doctors as students who attended other medical schools. During my residency, if I happen to know that someone graduated from Georgetown, I am not going to think of him or her as incompetent or ill-informed.

And, we in the "eastern" world do not curse each other out just because there is disagreement.

So, I do not have a problem with Georgetown's jesuit affiliation nor do I have a problem with its students. I never stated/implied this in my posts. I just have a problem with Georgetown attempting to use the philosophy and integrate into teaching medicine. That is all. So, calm down guys. I don't hate Georgetown nor its students like I have said before.

Stop resorting to cursing and hatred. Is that all your parents have taught you? Most likely not.

oh and btw, I am 20 years old and have graduated from college . Chances are that you are older than I am. So, please get mature or learn self-restraint because your patients will not put up with you cursing at them.

Hey Doogie Howser,

I'm glad I insulted you since that was my intention. Just like you called georgetown a disgrace to medicine was an insult.

Hey Doogie Howser,

I'm glad I insulted you since that was my intention. Just like you called georgetown a disgrace to medicine was an insult.

wow dude you are such a *****. You cannot even pick sarcasm?
Reread my post with strict concentration.

How weird is this??? Geez man get a life. I don't have a self-esteem issue like you do. I hope someday your life changes you. Because you really need that change!!

So...

What is everyone excited for at Georgetown? I think the area is absolutely beautiful, as is the undergrad campus. And, I love the Jesuit philosophy and how passionate Ms. Sullivan and others (esp the students!) are about it. Anyone else?

You are my fav! It was a good attempt to try to change the subject. However, there still seems to be some tension!

Anyway, I got CAP'd today. However, i wrote my letter 5 weeks ago. I will send it in a couple days after a little more editing.

Congrats on your acceptance... I loved Ms. Sullivan too. The atmosphere is wonderful. It is great that it has a campus environment. I am also excited to possible do a combined masters in alternative medicine.

Anyone know how long of a turn around to hear news after you send in a LOI?

Thanks

You are my fav! It was a good attempt to try to change the subject. However, there still seems to be some tension!

Anyway, I got CAP'd today. However, i wrote my letter 5 weeks ago. I will send it in a couple days after a little more editing.

Congrats on your acceptance... I loved Ms. Sullivan too. The atmosphere is wonderful. It is great that it has a campus environment. I am also excited to possible do a combined masters in alternative medicine.

Anyone know how long of a turn around to hear news after you send in a LOI?

Thanks

From what I hear (especially from last year's applicants) it could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months (late June). Good luck getting off....I am in the same boat as you.

How weird is this??? Geez man get a life. I don't have a self-esteem issue like you do. I hope someday your life changes you. Because you really need that change!!

Ok Neil,

I reread the post with strict concentration like you suggested. I don't see how you can say that was sarcasm. Don't go changing your tune because I verbally bitch slapped you. You called Georgetown a disgrace, and their philosophy idiotic. Accept that you were wrong, apologize sincerely, and people will stop giving you a hard time. It's not a self-esteem issue, I just don't have a problem sinking down to someone's level when they're out of line.

I only created this account because someone sent me a link to this site showing me what you said, and it pissed me off. Someone had to say something to make you realize you were wrong. Don't bother responding, I'm not going to check it again. Just keep your opinions of other schools to yourself. You're right, this is an anonymous forum, which is exactly why you felt justified saying what you did, because nobody knows who you are. I guarantee you wouldn't have said that if your real name was displayed. You keep it civil, and everyone else will too.

Good bye and good luck

Ok Neil,

I reread the post with strict concentration like you suggested. I don't see how you can say that was sarcasm. Don't go changing your tune because I verbally bitch slapped you. You called Georgetown a disgrace, and their philosophy idiotic. Accept that you were wrong, apologize sincerely, and people will stop giving you a hard time. It's not a self-esteem issue, I just don't have a problem sinking down to someone's level when they're out of line.

I only created this account because someone sent me a link to this site showing me what you said, and it pissed me off. Someone had to say something to make you realize you were wrong. Don't bother responding, I'm not going to check it again. Just keep your opinions of other schools to yourself. You're right, this is an anonymous forum, which is exactly why you felt justified saying what you did, because nobody knows who you are. I guarantee you wouldn't have said that if your real name was displayed. You keep it civil, and everyone else will too.

Good bye and good luck

Maybe I didn't do a good job of displaying my sarcasm. But, I can assure you that it was sarcasm. Again, I do not get offended or insulted even when a person tries doing so really really hard. The name of the game is called patience and self-dignity.

Also, why would I need to accept that I am wrong. I stated my opinion and no one has given me a straightforward and well-thought rebuttal. The two or three people that respond to my posts do not understand what I am trying to say. Again, opinion is an opinion. You should realize that. You cannot impose your will on someone else. Please know this for future reference. Cursing and saying that "accept that I was wrong" does not make you a hero.

Anyways, I am glad you are conceding and finally realizing that my posts are not a way of bashing GT nor its students.

Good luck to you too.

Last edited:
Maybe I didn't do a good job of displaying my sarcasm. But, I can assure you that it was sarcasm. Again, I do not get offended or insulted even when a person tries doing so really really hard. The name of the game is called patience and self-dignity.

Also, why would I need to accept that I am wrong. I stated my opinion and no one has given me a straightforward and well-thought rebuttal. The two or three people that respond to my posts do not understand what I am trying to say. Again, opinion is an opinion. You should realize that. You cannot impose your will on someone else. Please know this for future reference. Cursing and saying that "accept that I was wrong" does not make you a hero.

Anyways, I am glad you are conceding and finally realizing that my posts are not a way of bashing GT nor its students.

Good luck to you too.

Hey I was just kidding, I actually did check it again. I wasn't going to say anything until I read that "I was conceding". I'm not, not because I won't ever concede, but because I think I'm right, and I am sure other people on this forum will back me up on it. They probably don't agree with the way I'm going about talking to you but I can assure you they've probably laughed at it, which was partly my intention. I just don't like reading smug little posts like your original one. Moving on, you did get insulted, you said so before. You are right on one point though: an opinion is an opinion. And in my opinion, you were being a douche. I am a hero, you are a zero.

Hey I was just kidding, I actually did check it again. I wasn't going to say anything until I read that "I was conceding". I'm not, not because I won't ever concede, but because I think I'm right, and I am sure other people on this forum will back me up on it. They probably don't agree with the way I'm going about talking to you but I can assure you they've probably laughed at it, which was partly my intention. I just don't like reading smug little posts like your original one. Moving on, you did get insulted, you said so before. You are right on one point though: an opinion is an opinion. And in my opinion, you were being a douche. I am a hero, you are a zero.

Thanks for giving me another chance to display my sarcasm. Wow, I am insulted.

I am a hero and you are a zero. Wow. Are you like a little kid? Do you not have any sense?
And people laughing at it and agreeing with you. I suggest you read the interview feedback page and this thread. No matter what you say, you are the one who is starting to look like a "zero", as you say in your own words. You are the one who started all of the cursing and bashing against me. You have conceded because you still fail to discuss what I started with originally and resort to rooky/novice tactics of harrasment. Man I was right about you to begin with. You have no self-worth. So, I will do you a favor this time. This will be my last post in this thread.

Let it be known that futuredoctor 13 is a ***** with no self-worth. He fails to realize what people tell him and gets agitated when you criticize him or something to which he is closely attached. Ok bye. Like I said, you better change your demeanor and start showing some respect to people who do not necessarily agree with you. Because, your patients will not put up with that.

I would like to end by saying that noone really commented on my original post. Everyone just resorted to verbal abuse thinking that it will offend me. Lol. You three or four people who responded to my post underestimate other human beings who share different point of views. All I can do now is at this point just laugh at you all for getting "worked up" for nothing.

Peace!

At first, I responded sincerely, but this is obviously getting ridiculous. I agree with Decicco.

:troll: :beat:

As for things I like about Georgetown, the location in DC is awesome. I love the area around M Street and Wisconsin Ave. The restaurants, shops, and bars are great and there is a lot of history in the area too. Despite being in the city, Georgetown definitely has a distinct college campus feel. I also like the diversity of opportunities for research and clinical rotations in the area including NIH, Walter Reed, policy work on Capitol Hill, and some great hospitals in Northern Virginia and the Maryland suburbs.

Your post wasn't sarcasm. The word you may be looking for is hyperbole, but definitely not sarcasm. That being said, I can understand how you would mistake the two, as you strike me as somewhat of a *****. Now be a good little troll and piss off.

Blurry, I agree with everything you said. DC is incredible. The only downside is that it's outrageously expensive.

Last edited:
this school is a disgrace to medicine really. i mean so many students go there because they didn't get in anywhere. also, they won't show how to perform abortions and other procedures that are not in compliance with their "jesuit" philosophy.

I am very disaapointed with this school overall. Plus, it's ridiculously expensive. They probably donate most of their money to roman catholic church anyways and shortchange the facilities and equipments that they provide to its students.

OK neil, Ill respond to your original statements.

I wouldnt go this far, but...the school wasn't for me, as I said earlier somewhere...probably ten pages ago by now.

Largely this is because their 200 person medical student class turns into 400 ppl when they toss in the GEMS and the SMP's. If I pay 40k to go somewhere, I want to be 1 out of 150 or 200...not 400. I felt a little bit lied to.

Maybe I am better suited to criticize the program...folks may think your just bitter at not being accepted and thus insulting gtown. I am not bitter, I was accepted, I was just a little shocked by how much Gtown did not do it for me. They seemed to care little about research, which is something I am very into, despite their "research requirement". and, their students seemed a little "eh" on their own opinions of the school, e.g. "yup, it's med school, what can you do about it."

Also, and I am sure this one will get folks riled up, I believe they falsely inflate their acceptance rate to move themselves up the US NEWS rankings. The way that they say, if you want to be at gtown, write us a letter, and you'll be accepted, to me, means that they accept a lot fewer people than they might otherwise. They CAP everyone, (keep in mind this did not happen to me) and then admit folks later. This lowers their acceptance rate which is a factor (unfortunately) on the US NEWS and WR rankings.

Heads up though guys, when you get in an argument like you all have been in, ad hominem attacks, rather than thoughtful claims about opinions, you risk getting tossed off sdn...

Better news for the rest of you!!! I decided not to accept my acceptance today. I hope one of you enjoys my spot, and your time there. I wish you the best!

Last edited:
OK I wouldnt go this far, but...the school wasn't for me, as I said earlier somewhere...probably ten pages ago by now.

Largely this is because their 200 person medical student class turns into 400 ppl when they toss in the GEMS and the SMP's. If I pay 40k to go somewhere, I want to be 1 out of 150 or 200...not 400. I felt a little bit lied to.

Better news for the rest of you!!! I decided not to accept my acceptance today. I hope one of you enjoys my spot, and your time there. I wish you the best!

Yeah, the GEMS and SMP kids crowding the first year classes is one of my concerns about Georgetown too. I asked my tour guide about it when I was there, but they definitely didn't advertise that in the admissions office or anything :rolleyes:

I decided to check it out more before making a final decision, but thanks for posting a legitimate and non-imflammatory or derogatory reason for your decision to withdraw. Good luck wherever you decide to go!

thanks for posting a legitimate and non-imflammatory or derogatory reason for your decision to withdraw. Good luck wherever you decide to go!

Also, and I am sure this one will get folks riled up, I believe they falsely inflate their acceptance rate to move themselves up the US NEWS rankings. The way that they say, if you want to be at gtown, write us a letter, and you'll be accepted, to me, means that they accept a lot fewer people than they might otherwise. They CAP everyone, (keep in mind this did not happen to me) and then admit folks later. This lowers their acceptance rate which is a factor (unfortunately) on the US NEWS and WR rankings.

I hope you dont think what I just added is inflammatory, but it was still, just a thought I had on what seemed to be a large focus Georgetown placed on their location in the rankings.

Let it be known that I hate the rankings in the first place. I dont blame them for trying to work their way up, I would rather them reject them outright, like some undergraduate schools are beginning to do.

Last edited:
Thanks Stixman for the commentary. You voiced some similar concerns to the reservations I had about the place. Still think I would have a great time there though.

And Neil/futuremd...grow up fellas. reminds me of the arguments my sister and I would have growing up. Whoever gets the last insult in wins!!

ps. Neil, there have been plenty of thoughtful, calm and articulate responses to your original assertions. You say we can't force our opinions on you...so stop forcing them on us, it should be pretty evident here no one wants to hear what you have to say because either 1) we've heard it before or 2) you're making stuff up (abortions not being allowed etc.).

I hope you dont think what I just added is inflammatory, but it was still, just a thought I had on what seemed to be a large focus Georgetown placed on their location in the rankings.

Let it be known that I hate the rankings in the first place. I dont blame them for trying to work their way up, I would rather them reject them outright, like some undergraduate schools are beginning to do.

For the record, I was saying your reason was a good one. I share your concern. You posted a constructive reason why the school didn't click for you, which is a good way to stimulate discussion.

After all, I think that's what this forum is about, sharing ideas in a constructive way. I've definitely been to schools I didn't like at all for various reasons.

In contrast, posters like neil100 say things like this school is a "disgrace to medicine" and incite an entire page of angry posts and curses, which doesn't really do much for the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.