2008-2009 Meharry Medical College Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When does the admission panel meet for meharry? just had my interview earlier this week...

In case any of you were wondering about the interview process at Meharry, interview questions are pretty straightforward, read off a list. The question bank at studentdoctor.net has pretty much most of the questions they ask (I was involved with the student interviewing panel).

Current med students will also provide a panel to provide info on student life as well as answering questions that student interviewees have. They take your name down when you ask them questions, as well as any comments they have about you. I suggest asking a handful of thoughtful questions to the interviewers as well as to the med students (even repeating your questions are fine), but don't hog all the time from other interviewees (it's noticeable).

The admissions committee meets once every week or every two weeks after the interview. Each member of the committee gets an equal vote, including the chairman. In order to be accepted, the voting must be unanimous. The majority of the time, the committee members will vote along with the two interviewers' votes (the two faculty members that interviewed you). Students can receive acceptance within two weeks of their interview date (if you're good), but most will be put on hold to a later vote (or receive a waitlist), which means you didn't blow them away at the interview.

I can tell you first hand that if you get an interview, your GPA and MCAT are pretty much out the window at that point (unless you need to explain some horrible grade). At that point, they're looking for a match in personality. It depends on the work you've done (on your app), esp if it involved underserved communities (actions speak louder than words). And they will be watching you the minute you step on campus, whether or not you've met any admissions committee members. All the employees can provide info or feedback to the committee members (even though they don't have voting power). I suggest breaking the ice, making conversation, and getting along with EVERYONE (every employee, every interviewee, etc). Trust me, they're watching you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the interviewers usually black or is the panel not indicative of the racial makeup of the school? Thanks

Are the interviewers usually black or is the panel not indicative of the racial makeup of the school? Thanks

The interviewers are usually (but not always) part of the admissions committee. But they are always faculty members. The interviewing panel is indicative of the racial makeup of the >faculty<. I would say that the student population has a much higher proportion of blacks to non-blacks than the faculty. I hope that answers your question.

This one might be a shocker to some of you applicants: Meharry courses will require several written papers throughout your first two years here. I don't know of any med schools that still make students write papers (with the exception of various dual degree programs). You will often find yourself writing a ridiculous ten page research paper within two weeks of subject board exams.

The interviewers are usually (but not always) part of the admissions committee. But they are always faculty members. The interviewing panel is indicative of the racial makeup of the >faculty<. I would say that the student population has a much higher proportion of blacks to non-blacks than the faculty. I hope that answers your question.

This one might be a shocker to some of you applicants: Meharry courses will require several written papers throughout your first two years here. I don't know of any med schools that still make students write papers (with the exception of various dual degree programs). You will often find yourself writing a ridiculous ten page research paper within two weeks of subject board exams.
is there anything else unique to the school/curriculum?

If you have any specific questions, I am more than willing to answer as honestly as I can. Others may think that I should keep my mouth shut about some of the internal problems, but I disagree (I feel that physicians cover each others asses too often instead of taking responsibility and letting the public be aware). As with any school, there are a lot of politics that go on behind the scenes. There have been many attempts at curriculum reform, with major resistance from some of the faculty members because they're afraid of losing their jobs. The relatively new dean and new school president/ceo are young and open-minded.

If any of you plan on going to Meharry and plan to purchase a computer or notebook, don't. Meharry will force you to buy an expensive tablet notebook. It isn't part of your tuition (it's added to your fees) and you cannot opt out. I believe the first years have the Dell Latitude XT, which is plagued with problems since it's the first generation tablet from Dell. There was an extensive student panel put together to vote and evaluate each notebook before making a bulk purchase for the first year students (each student is required to buy the same notebook as the rest of the class, since it's added to our fees). A decision was made on which tablet, but the VP of academic computing scraped the students' decision and went for the Dell Latitude XT (never buy first generation of anything).

This is the fundamental problem I have with Meharry. I don't mind that things are disorganized. All schools go through these periods at one point or another. But Meharry consistently resists any type of change or growth, whether or not it's encouraged by the students or other faculty members. Some of the problems we have here require extremely simple solutions, but someone at the top would scrape the idea. Please don't tell me that I should be finding more productive avenues for my frustration. I don't know many students at Meharry who have been more involved with the school and with providing feedback to the administration than me.

thanks. i'd buy another computer in addition anyway cause i'm a mac user but good to know.

Really, really liked this school. Everyone was so nice, and it seems as though they will go out of their way to help their students succeed. definitely a good experience.

When does the admission panel meet for meharry? just had my interview earlier this week...

I know they meet on some Wednesdays. I'm not sure if they meet on other days as well.

One of my interviewers was an African American(?) neuroscience professor, the other was a South Asian professor that teaches in the graduate school.

I handed in my 10 page paper earlier this morning. Subject boards are 10 days away. We were given about a month to write it. Whose fault is it that some people did not start until this Sunday? It was long, hard, and tedious. I found it more of a measure of time and stress management than anything else. It's one of those hoops you have to jump through to get to your golden ticket at the end.

In my first year in undergrad I spent a year shadowing a surgeon. I remember complaining to her about how useless calculus was. And how there's no real reason they make us take it. It was required for my program, but there was only one other upper year calculus course. I felt I would never ever need to take the logarithm of anything. Ever. And she said that we take calculus not because its important that we know how to take derivatives and logs, but because the style of thinking necessary to answer calculus problems is important. (in later years when I got to study cognition and problem solving abilities, I understood more about what she was saying). No experience is useless. There is always something to be learned.

...and if you do find yourself to be one of those people working well into the morning on your 10 page paper. Ask yourself, "do I want it bad enough to write this paper? Is my dream important enough to stay up another hour?"

thanks. i'd buy another computer in addition anyway cause i'm a mac user but good to know.
The Tablet problems, for Alyssa the user, have been fixed. I made sure that all of my problems were fixed. And the issues weren't so much Dell, the bulk of the problems were due to a well known virus called Vista. I'm a Linux user so putting me on any Windows platform is a hard sell. My heart sank when I found out we were getting "Vista". I like the computer now because I've fallen in love with the tablet feature and the OneNote program. But yes, some of the mac people have gone back to the Mac.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alyssa, how is the flexibility to do research in the other graduate schools such pharmacology,neuroscience,etc.
And if u want a second degree such as an MBA, do u wait till after first year to start or have to inform them from the start of frosh yr.

Got Accepted 2day..... I m getting out of the state!!!

Got accepted today! So happy :)

Alyssa, how is the flexibility to do research in the other graduate schools such pharmacology,neuroscience,etc.
And if u want a second degree such as an MBA, do u wait till after first year to start or have to inform them from the start of frosh yr.

Congrats you guys!!! :soexcited::clap::claps::banana: God is good isn't He! Make sure that you guys go post in the UIH forum so everybody can celebrate with you. I am extremely happy for you Blink!

First of all, congrats to you too!:claps::claps:

One of the issues I have with Meharry is that they don't advertise some of the resources they have there. I was falling in love with another school, thinking they had certain things Meharry didn't. I found out a couple months ago that Meharry has MD/PHD and MD/MPH programs.

From my understanding, here's how the different areas of research work

-For the phd program you can do lab, translational, clinical, or community based research. After second year you take 3 years off to work on your phd. They've worked out some kind of funding through NIH where your loans will be paid off and you graduate debt free.

-after first year. During your 8-9 weeks after first year, Meharry really encourages you to do research. Meharry offers bursaries/grants to students doing research during the summer after 1st year. Some people stay here in Nashville and would with out faculty or work with faculty over at Vanderbilt.There are also numerous "summer research programs" at other institutions. You can also do research really anywhere. (I'm trying to organize an international opportunity for myself).

-after second or third year. You can take a year off to do research. Meharry really pushes the Howard Hughes programs. If you really enjoy the year off, there's a possibility that you can extend it into a phd.

-you can do an mph after you start your MD. I'm not sure when you begin in the mph part though.

I don't know how other joint degrees like JD/MD or MBA/MD work. It would be best to speak with Dr. Williams. She's the associate dean of students and academic affairs. She should be able to give you more information on those opportunities. congrats again!

Lys

Interviewed about 3 weeks ago. Accepted via email!

That is totaly awesome!!! :thumbup:

I am sure you are going out this weekend to celebrate... Better get it in while you still can.

this is my first post on here yay. I am applying to Meharry and 15 other schools. I applied late so I am currently finishing up my last couple of secondaries. Living In Calif, of course I applied to all of them here hoping to head back to UCLA where I did my undergrad. Fingers crossed. I'm originally Compton by the way...seen someone on here was too.

Wishing everyone Good Luck!!!!!:):D

I handed in my 10 page paper earlier this morning. Subject boards are 10 days away. We were given about a month to write it. Whose fault is it that some people did not start until this Sunday? It was long, hard, and tedious. I found it more of a measure of time and stress management than anything else. It's one of those hoops you have to jump through to get to your golden ticket at the end.

...and if you do find yourself to be one of those people working well into the morning on your 10 page paper. Ask yourself, "do I want it bad enough to write this paper? Is my dream important enough to stay up another hour?"

Perhaps they have improved since I took the course years ago. We were given two weeks and it got worse during spring semester as well as our second year. You've only had one semester at Meharry. The problem here, according to your class leaders as well as to the numerous first years I've spoken with, is that the material can be taught in different ways than forcing students to write long research papers. It's a matter of time management from an educator's perspective.

And the issues weren't so much Dell, the bulk of the problems were due to a well known virus called Vista. I'm a Linux user so putting me on any Windows platform is a hard sell. My heart sank when I found out we were getting "Vista". I like the computer now because I've fallen in love with the tablet feature and the OneNote program. But yes, some of the mac people have gone back to the Mac.

According to my conversations with the IT department, the problem wasn't with Vista (even though I hate vista). The problem stemmed from specific security chips inside the tablet, along with drivers that were written specifically for the Dell tablet. Some of the Dell drivers had conflicts with the anti virus program shipped in the tablet as well.

I am the last person who would leave things last minute, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to guarantee a competetive residency position. I understand that you would like to remain idealistic and defend the school's reputation. I was the same way during my first year, years ago. While I admire your desire to be idealistic, it's not always practical, especially since so many of your own classmates disagree with your opinions. I just think Meharry could have been more efficient and organized. When you new accepted applicants arrive to Meharry next year and face these issues, just remember one thing: Welcome to Meharry.

Really, really liked this school. Everyone was so nice, and it seems as though they will go out of their way to help their students succeed. definitely a good experience.

That was my initial impression as well when I first interviewed here years ago. =)

The MD/PhD program is 7 years long, with details correctly specified by Alyssa. You will come out debt-free, but you'll need to publish a number of papers according to my classmates who are going through that program right now. The MD/MPH and MD/MBA programs require you to apply for them at latest during your 2nd year. The MBA degree will be taken at Vanderbilt (you will need to apply to their MBA program, with GMAT scores in hand).

Well Meharry hit me up today and told me that my app has been placed on hold and that they are considering me for their postbacc class. Well at least they let me know something. Not worried because I know the Lord has a plan and I trust Him completely. I hope and pray the best for everybody! God bless!

Well Meharry hit me up today and told me that my app has been placed on hold and that they are considering me for their postbacc class. Well at least they let me know something. Not worried because I know the Lord has a plan and I trust Him completely. I hope and pray the best for everybody! God bless!

Did you already interview BlackDr2b?

Did they email you bro?

For all those who do decide to attend Meharry next Fall, I can give you a few pointers on the best way to get student housing on campus. It is a nightmare to get housing on campus because the housing office is extremely disorganized (more so than anything else I've mentioned about the school). After you are accepted, you are pretty much left to your own devices until two weeks before orientation (by then too late to figure out a lot of things needed to be done... housing, car insurance, financial aid, etc).

Just shoot me a private message and I'll do whatever I can to help you get started at Meharry. While I (and a lot of students here) have issues with the school, it doesn't mean I (and others) won't help with your transition.

sorry man, its nothin though. youve got some love from some great places

I believe that GOD is going to open the door for you that will be best. If it happens to be a 5 year program then so be it. If that is what I have to do, then I will be in the postbacc program smiling ear to ear. Sharing your experiences and optimism on the blog have helped me remain optimistic throughout this process. That attitude is going to serve you well in your career.

Sorry to hear,B. God will make us smile at the end of this journey.
I love meharry,the opportunities available at the School, but can a student give me their opinion on the first two years.
What are the good and bad, a comment will be greatly appreciated frm Lys and Meharrydoc. And talk about the professors,study materials and preparation for the boards. Even though they have kaplan review, I know without a solid foundation from the curriculum, the Kaplan wont help.
Congrats again to those accepted

i interviewed 2 weeks ago and got an email this week saying that i am put on the wait list. i called mr. mosely, the director of admissions, today to ask what about the wait list process. the wait list is not ranked, and my file will most likely be viewed in february. last year, he said they took about 30-35 applicants off of the wait list.

all i can do is just hope and pray for the best. congratulations to those of you with an acceptance and best of luck to everyone else!

i interviewed 2 weeks ago and got an email this week saying that i am put on the wait list. i called mr. mosely, the director of admissions, today to ask what about the wait list process. the wait list is not ranked, and my file will most likely be viewed in february. last year, he said they took about 30-35 applicants off of the wait list.

all i can do is just hope and pray for the best. congratulations to those of you with an acceptance and best of luck to everyone else!

Thanks for the info. I interviewed on Monday, and that gives me hope. I wish you the best of luck with everything too. Since you were one of the first ones interviewed, then I think that you will stand a good chance to be near the top of the wait list. From what I hear you need to keep your bags packed and go ahead and fill out the financial aid information, b/c when they call, you gotta jump. I talked to a girl that got in the first day of classes off the wait list. I am here doing to same thing, praying for the best... GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Though the system is admission system is disorganized, it worked to my advantage because I wasn't complete until october (end of) and within 10 days got an interview invite. I am "patiently" waiting to hear back.

I find it hard to gauge whether I get in or not because not a single person that interviewed on my date seemed to have a 'bad" interview so if everyone's interview was great, another system to accept folks must be devised...hmm

Goodluck everyone!

Though the system is admission system is disorganized, it worked to my advantage because I wasn't complete until october (end of) and within 10 days got an interview invite. I am "patiently" waiting to hear back.

I find it hard to gauge whether I get in or not because not a single person that interviewed on my date seemed to have a 'bad" interview so if everyone's interview was great, another system to accept folks must be devised...hmm

Goodluck everyone!
they probably just knew you were a star! i for one, have been complete since set with no word yet

Sorry to hear,B. God will make us smile at the end of this journey.
I love meharry,the opportunities available at the School, but can a student give me their opinion on the first two years.
What are the good and bad, a comment will be greatly appreciated frm Lys and Meharrydoc. And talk about the professors,study materials and preparation for the boards. Even though they have kaplan review, I know without a solid foundation from the curriculum, the Kaplan wont help.
Congrats again to those accepted

You need to read through the thread. I and Alyssa have posted several comments. Alyssa has posted her experiences during her first and only semester at Meharry. I posted some comments that covered my last three years at Meharry.

Got the waitlist email today. Was really hoping for an acceptance but it's better than a rejection.

So I got My acceptance today!!! I received notice via Email, I am super excited!!

Got the waitlist email today. Was really hoping for an acceptance but it's better than a rejection.
have you heard any additional info about the wait list? all i got from mr. mosely was that the list is unranked, and my file will be re-reviewed in feb. i'm in the same wait list boat as you. best of luck!

Thanks for the info. I interviewed on Monday, and that gives me hope. I wish you the best of luck with everything too. Since you were one of the first ones interviewed, then I think that you will stand a good chance to be near the top of the wait list. From what I hear you need to keep your bags packed and go ahead and fill out the financial aid information, b/c when they call, you gotta jump. I talked to a girl that got in the first day of classes off the wait list. I am here doing to same thing, praying for the best... GOOD LUCK

beerog I hope you get in :luck:You have a great attitude:)

Perhaps they have improved since I took the course years ago. We were given two weeks and it got worse during spring semester as well as our second year. You've only had one semester at Meharry. The problem here, according to your class leaders as well as to the numerous first years I've spoken with, is that the material can be taught in different ways than forcing students to write long research papers. It's a matter of time management from an educator's perspective.

According to my conversations with the IT department, the problem wasn't with Vista (even though I hate vista). The problem stemmed from specific security chips inside the tablet, along with drivers that were written specifically for the Dell tablet. Some of the Dell drivers had conflicts with the anti virus program shipped in the tablet as well.

I am the last person who would leave things last minute, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to guarantee a competetive residency position. I understand that you would like to remain idealistic and defend the school's reputation. I was the same way during my first year, years ago. While I admire your desire to be idealistic, it's not always practical, especially since so many of your own classmates disagree with your opinions. I just think Meharry could have been more efficient and organized. When you new accepted applicants arrive to Meharry next year and face these issues, just remember one thing: Welcome to Meharry.

That was my initial impression as well when I first interviewed here years ago. =)

The MD/PhD program is 7 years long, with details correctly specified by Alyssa. You will come out debt-free, but you'll need to publish a number of papers according to my classmates who are going through that program right now. The MD/MPH and MD/MBA programs require you to apply for them at latest during your 2nd year. The MBA degree will be taken at Vanderbilt (you will need to apply to their MBA program, with GMAT scores in hand).

Well, I'm getting tired of seeing my posts followed by yours. A back and forth between you and I is helping no one in this thread (I don't think). So if anyone would like to hear an idealist, impractical, novice driven, unique opinion from someone who hasn't been around long enough to be valid, shoot me a pm. I'd be more than happy to share it with you.

Lys

Last edited:
have you heard any additional info about the wait list? all i got from mr. mosely was that the list is unranked, and my file will be re-reviewed in feb. i'm in the same wait list boat as you. best of luck!

I have no additional info unfortunately. Hope we both get off the waitlist in February. Good luck!

I have no additional info unfortunately. Hope we both get off the waitlist in February. Good luck!

I have learned so much during this process. When I become a doctor, I am going to go back to my undergraduate school and really try to ENCOURAGE people through this process. There really needs to be more black people in this field. SHOUT OUT TO ALL THE PEOPLE ON THE WAIT LIST!!!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!! I dunno, I may be joining you in the next few weeks, maybe I will be joining the Class of 2013. Either way I want to create a network with you guys to change the prevalence of blacks in medicine. No matter how far we go, let us never forget the people that I we are today. This experience is very humbling, and no matter how hard we have working in the past, it is grace that gives us the final push over the threshold. In these final days as our fates are being determined, let us fellowship and reflect on the events that have brought us to point. We are on the brink of turning our greatest dreams into reality. At this moment, I am on the outside looking in, but when I get in 'Ya'll Betta Watch Out'!!! Because my goal is to be the best, while at the same time supporting the rest. I've got nothing but love for you guys... I'm out

I just received my invite to interview on Feb 6th. I am looking forward to seeing Meharry and Nashville for the first time.
this late in the night?

.i feel like im following u around.

I am officially on the wait list for Meharry Medical College. Our work is never done huh...

They are actually very quick to respond. I interviewed on Dec. 1st and received the e-mail today Dec. 12th.

Good luck you guys.

Hmm, that's interesting. I interviewed on Nov. 17th, and have yet to hear a decision made. They must not like me. Are notifications sent via email/snail mail/ or status check online? Thanks, and I do hope you get off the waitlist. I have a close friend that goes to Meharry and he enjoys it very much.

Hmm, that's interesting. I interviewed on Nov. 17th, and have yet to hear a decision made. They must not like me. Are notifications sent via email/snail mail/ or status check online? Thanks, and I do hope you get off the waitlist. I have a close friend that goes to Meharry and he enjoys it very much.

That may mean that they DO like you. It got my response through e-mail. The people that I know that got accepted were through e-mail also. Yeah, I don't know when they start going to the wait list but I will have my bags packed just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.