2008-2009 Meharry Medical College Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone who interviewed on 1/26 heard anything??

Patiently awaiting. TOP CHOICE FOR SCHOOL THIS YEAR:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I actually interviewed during the first week of interviews at Meharry and was accepted about a month later. Its very unfortunate because I experienced the same thing during the interview process. Some of the students on the panel were not nice or welcoming at all (2 girls in particular one was from cali if I'm not mistaken) It really turned me off and a few other interviewees that I talked to felt the same way. I really think that the admissions com. should really think about revising this or eliminating it all together. For starters they conduct the panel interview during lunch, however none of the interviewees got a chance to eat b/c as soon as we sat down the med students started drilling us writing our names down and jotting things down as we spoke. Asking us why we wanted to go into medicine one by one. It was really intimidating and instead of really being able to get to know more about the students and Meharry we were all on pins and needles. Not a good experience at all IMO.
I interviewed on 2/2/09 and all of the interviewees also had the same negative experience. I thought this was the most stressful and awkward part of the day. There were two female students sitting directly in the center of the panel that were very rude (I think both from ATL maybe). The two on the ends were nicer, and the guys were nice and their answers helpful. Unfortunately the two "ringleaders" were so unpleasant that their attitude is the one that left the biggest impression on the applicants. The panel discussion was extremely formal (moreso than either interview with committee members/doctors) and not friendly at all. One of the females yelled at a couple of applicants for "not raising their hands" (there were only about 10 of us, so it wasn't disorderly in any fashion). Some of us tried to sit closer to one another so we could eat and socialize in a warm, relaxing fasion, but we were yelled out and told we couldn't move the tables, and we couldn't move the tables "too close" to them. One of them even went so far as to rudely pound on the bathroom door while I was tinkling (first break after the whole morning session *and* tour), and told me I needed to come out "right now" b/c they were beginning. WTH?

Overall, it felt like a closed sorority with hazing rituals...not very enticing at all.

It's sad because the rest of the experience was pretty nice!

I interviewed on 2/2/09 and all of the interviewees also had the same negative experience. I thought this was the most stressful and awkward part of the day. There were two female students sitting directly in the center of the panel that were very rude (I think both from ATL maybe). The two on the ends were nicer, and the guys were nice and their answers helpful. Unfortunately the two "ringleaders" were so unpleasant that their attitude is the one that left the biggest impression on the applicants. The panel discussion was extremely formal (moreso than either interview with committee members/doctors) and not friendly at all. One of the females yelled at a couple of applicants for "not raising their hands" (there were only about 10 of us, so it wasn't disorderly in any fashion). Some of us tried to sit closer to one another so we could eat and socialize in a warm, relaxing fasion, but we were yelled out and told we couldn't move the tables, and we couldn't move the tables "too close" to them. One of them even went so far as to rudely pound on the bathroom door while I was tinkling (first break after the whole morning session *and* tour), and told me I needed to come out "right now" b/c they were beginning. WTH?

Overall, it felt like a closed sorority with hazing rituals...not very enticing at all.

I am sorry you all had a bad experience, I wonder if each group had different students in the panel, because the group of student I got, I interviewed in november, were nice. They answered all questions, and told us about their experiences. They even stayed back after, as much as they could, to talk with us a little.
After I got my acceptance, I even got a phone call from on of them, I knew it was one from them panel, cause of something she said. But She congratulated me, asked me if I had any questions, and gave me her email to contact her if I did.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow! Mine wasn't that bad, but it was definitely unpleasant. I can say for certain that it was the worst part of my interview. Can any of the current students speak to whether this is supposed to be part of the interview? I'm thinking that there are some interviewers that antagonize you to see how you respond. If so...the students shouldn't be the ones doing it.

I just interviewed last friday. I was very pleased with the school and everyone was extremely nice. How long does it take to hear from Meharry?

Albeit this is an isolated incident, I must admit that I am thoroughly disappointed with Meharry's Medical Admissions staff. Here's my story:

I interviewed at Meharry on November 17, 2008. Was told by my interviewer and Dr. Mosley that I would hear back within 3-4 weeks, regarding a decision (acceptance, waitlist, or rejection). Well, it's now February 2009 and I haven't heard a peep from Meharry. I decided to check up on my status and called Dr. Mosley. He was surprised when I told him about my situation, and he requested that I e-mail him. So I emailed him...one week passed and nothing from his end. Decided to call him once more, and this time he sounded super confused. He didn't really remember speaking to me, and I sorta gave him the benefit of the doubt. He told me to call Debra from Admissions and tell her about my problem. I promptly called her after getting off the phone with Dr. Mosley. Debra didn't care about my situation and was more confused that Dr. Mosley asked me to call her. She was like accusing me of lying or something, suggesting that Dr. Mosley would never request such a thing. To be honest, I was really confused and fed up at this point. Debra then said she can't give my status over the phone (HOW HARD is it to punch in my ID and tell me if I am in or not???!!!). She said all she could do was take down my name, AMCAS, and that she would contact me back. Hmm.. So a few days passed and still nothing! Not surprised.

I'm starting to think that Meharry lost my application post-interview and that's why they're keeping me in this nebulous loop. Anyhow, I'm just upset that I paid the seconday and interview fee to check-out Meharry. Sigh, I really hope this is not how the school itself operates. In any case, I will withdraw my application; this is ridiculous!

I hope others do not have to go through what I went through...

Last edited:
Albeit this is an isolated incident, I must admit that I am thoroughly disappointed with Meharry's Medical Admissions staff. Here's my story:

I interviewed at Meharry on November 17, 2008. Was told by my interviewer and Dr. Mosley that I would hear back within 3-4 weeks, regarding a decision (acceptance, waitlist, or rejection). Well, it's now February 2009 and I haven't heard a peep from Meharry. I decided to check up on my status and called Dr. Mosley. He was surprised when I told him about my situation, and he requested that I e-mail him. So I emailed him...one week passed and nothing from his end. Decided to call him once more, and this time he sounded super confused. He didn't really remember speaking to me, and I sorta gave him the benefit of the doubt. He told me to call Debra from Admissions and tell her about my problem. I promptly called her after getting off the phone with Dr. Mosley. Debra didn't care about my situation and was more confused that Dr. Mosley asked me to call her. She was like accusing me of lying or something, suggesting that Dr. Mosley would never request such a thing. To be honest, I was really confused and fed up at this point. Debra then said she can't give my status over the phone (HOW HARD is it to punch in my ID and tell me if I am in or not???!!!). She said all she could do was take down my name, AMCAS, and that she would contact me back. Hmm.. So a few days passed and still nothing! Not surprised.

I'm starting to think that Meharry lost my application post-interview and that's why they're keeping me in this nebulous loop. Anyhow, I'm just upset that I paid the seconday and interview fee to check-out Meharry. Sigh, I really hope this is not how the school itself operates. In any case, I will withdraw my application; this is ridiculous!

I hope others do not have to go through what I went through...

I'm sorry to here about your situation. I interviewed on November 17 also and heard back during the first week of December. They sent an email about being on the wait list. Also, from the 2 or 3 times I've called Mr. Mosely, he's been pretty good about giving me info and returning my calls. Comparing my experience with yours, I agree with you that they're acting a little suspicious. Something weird has to be going on with your application.

Sorry again :(

Thanks for your response. I'm not trying to cast a bad light on Meharry, but this is quite ridiculous. I think they should just man up and owe me an apology. In any case, I will withdraw my application. For future Meharry students, do not let my case detour you from going here. I have a good friend that goes here, and he seems to like it. Different strokes for different folks.

Anybody get a word from the feb 6 or any jan interviews yet? My application is ON HOLD, but being considered for the postbac program. That's not what I want at all, but........

Yes I got in!
(Congrats, 987! Hope to see you next year.)

Hello, I'm a first year student here at Meharry. I just want to avail myself to answer any questions that you might have. I, personally, have found Meharry to be the best school for me and I can assure that no one cares more about your success than this school. That's one thing that no one can take away from this institution: We listen and if feasible, we adjust.

Let me also apologize for any student panel interviews that didn't go well; I'm sure it has been addressed and measures have been taken to make sure that this process maintains its integrity.

As for those waiting on replies, some of you have been waiting for months. Don't fret. If it is meant to be, it will be. For those of you who are religious/spiritual, the hymn, "It is well" was my solace during my application process.

I was in your shoes and waiting is the worst part but I think can explain a little:
Meharry prides itself on producing the best clinicians (...and I can assure you that we rock) and also shaping potential into proficiency. Meharry has a charge that many schools don't. The usual formula is GPA->MCAT->Extracurriculars->Interview (i.e., Make sure you're not crazy). Whereas other schools just look at numbers, Meharry has to take time to look beyond deficiencies and see the potential to make a doctor who fits its mission. Meharry has to also make sure that they're not filling up their rosters with no shows. Evaluate yourself. Be honest. Ask yourself if Meharry is one of your safe schools. Imagine how many prospects from around the country, just trying to make sure they have a "spot", would decline Meharry if another school knocked at their door. Now imagine the problems we would face if they accepted 75% of those students and 50% get accepted elsewhere. That's a half-full class. We wants every student to be committed to Meharry and more importantly, it's mission of service to the underserved. Seems a little more organized than you thought, huh?

That said, I would recommend a letter of intent for those of you who are in limbo. Show the admissions committee that you are not playing and are serious about becoming a Meharrian. Also, if you get accepted elsewhere, do update the office. The fact that you're willing to choose Meharry over another institution may prove invaluable.

Sorry for the long spiel but I don't want anyone to miss out on a great school for an unfounded reason. I'm done. I take cash, money order... Wait, wrong close. I take questions--good, bad, and ugly. If I don't know, I know someone who does. Thanks, guys and good luck.

"Whatever my lot/Thou has taught me to say/It is well/It is well with my soul."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed last friday. I was very pleased with the school and everyone was extremely nice. How long does it take to hear from Meharry?
As you can see from all of the various posts, Larenae, it really does vary. Some people get notified in 1-3 weeks; others...no such luck. Take it one day at a time and remember, "It is well." Good luck!

(Congrats, 987! Hope to see you next year.)

Hello, I'm a first year student here at Meharry. I just want to avail myself to answer any questions that you might have. I, personally, have found Meharry to be the best school for me and I can assure that no one cares more about your success than this school. That's one thing that no one can take away from this institution: We listen and if feasible, we adjust.

Let me also apologize for any student panel interviews that didn't go well; I'm sure it has been addressed and measures have been taken to make sure that this process maintains its integrity.

As for those waiting on replies, some of you have been waiting for months. Don't fret. If it is meant to be, it will be. For those of you who are religious/spiritual, the hymn, "It is well" was my solace during my application process.

I was in your shoes and waiting is the worst part but I think can explain a little:
Meharry prides itself on producing the best clinicians (...and I can assure you that we rock) and also shaping potential into proficiency. Meharry has a charge that many schools don't. The usual formula is GPA->MCAT->Extracurriculars->Interview (i.e., Make sure you're not crazy). Whereas other schools just look at numbers, Meharry has to take time to look beyond deficiencies and see the potential to make a doctor who fits its mission. Meharry has to also make sure that they're not filling up their rosters with no shows. Evaluate yourself. Be honest. Ask yourself if Meharry is one of your safe schools. Imagine how many prospects from around the country, just trying to make sure they have a "spot", would decline Meharry if another school knocked at their door. Now imagine the problems we would face if they accepted 75% of those students and 50% get accepted elsewhere. That's a half-full class. We wants every student to be committed to Meharry and more importantly, it's mission of service to the underserved. Seems a little more organized than you thought, huh?

That said, I would recommend a letter of intent for those of you who are in limbo. Show the admissions committee that you are not playing and are serious about becoming a Meharrian. Also, if you get accepted elsewhere, do update the office. The fact that you're willing to choose Meharry over another institution may prove invaluable.

Sorry for the long spiel but I don't want anyone to miss out on a great school for an unfounded reason. I'm done. I take cash, money order... Wait, wrong close. I take questions--good, bad, and ugly. If I don't know, I know someone who does. Thanks, guys and good luck.

"Whatever my lot/Thou has taught me to say/It is well/It is well with my soul."

Thank you!!! I am very excited and know I am incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to attend Meharry! I had a wonderful experience with the student panel! They were very nice and informative and it was nice of them to take time out of their busy day to talk to us!

Thank you Trufighta for your post.

I saw the indication that a letter of intent from us to Meharry would be good for all of us in limbo.

If we are thinking of taking the HPSP or a PHS/IHS scholarship, would a letter of acceptance from those branches also be good to have sent to Meharry?

Meharry was the best of all the schools I interviewed at, I had an awesome student panel, is there anything else I should be doing to convince them that I am sincere and I REALLY want Meharry?

Would you recommend waiting a year for Meharry if I don't make the cut this year or taking an acceptance from any other school?

Thank you!

so i sent a letter of interest in dec after being waitlisted. never got a response. do you guys think i should resend just in case?

I had a question. I sent in my secondary in and was told it was there in November but I have yet to hear if I got an interview or a rejection. In January I sent them an update about an award I won and volunteer work. Should I send anything else like a letter of interest? I really want to go to Meharry. My cousin graduated from there a few years back and said it was a great school. I'm getting really nervous because I haven't heard from them so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just invited for an interview today! Anybody else that will be there 4/6?

Thank you Trufighta for your post.

I saw the indication that a letter of intent from us to Meharry would be good for all of us in limbo.

If we are thinking of taking the HPSP or a PHS/IHS scholarship, would a letter of acceptance from those branches also be good to have sent to Meharry?

Meharry was the best of all the schools I interviewed at, I had an awesome student panel, is there anything else I should be doing to convince them that I am sincere and I REALLY want Meharry?

Would you recommend waiting a year for Meharry if I don't make the cut this year or taking an acceptance from any other school?

Thank you!
I can imagine that any additions that can improve your application should be made known to Mr. Mosley. Once again, if you got accepted elsewhere, I suggest talking to Mr. Mosley and saying, "Mr. Mosley, I've been accepted to said school but I have the heart of a Meharrian. I would love to decline this invitation and attend your institution; are there any updates of my file?" --Remember, after a certain time, all medical schools are required to release their acceptances so before then, you have to tell.

so i sent a letter of interest in dec after being waitlisted. never got a response. do you guys think i should resend just in case?
Of course. A letter of interest (intent is better) is something that is constantly updated. You get a scholarship, good grades, service, etc.; let them know. I would send one every month or so because you want when the admissions committee revisits your file, you want them to findletters saying, I'm committed to your school.

I had a question. I sent in my secondary in and was told it was there in November but I have yet to hear if I got an interview or a rejection. In January I sent them an update about an award I won and volunteer work. Should I send anything else like a letter of interest? I really want to go to Meharry. My cousin graduated from there a few years back and said it was a great school. I'm getting really nervous because I haven't heard from them so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Like I mentioned above, it really can't hurt. I would even mention my cousin in the letter and how you marvel at the caliber of physician Meharry has produced.

Hope that helped guys. Keep 'em coming.

Hello Future Meharrians!

I am sorry to hear about the student panel. I will be on the student panel in March so I will make sure we have a good time!

Nice to see the thread going in a positive direction!

Watch HBO The Black List to see our Dean of the School of Medicine, Dean Rice. She is an inspirational woman.

I cant wait to meet the Class of 2013.

Good Luck!! God Bless!:D

Is anyone interviewing on March 6th. I am so excited about this interview. This school is my first choice.

Ob/gyn
UT Memphis(2)
U of Illinois
UMDNJ
UT Houston
Mercer
Tulane
Orlando Hospital
Albany Medical Center
MEharry
Oschner(new orleans)

Surgery
Vanderbilt
U of Toledo
Providence Hosp(Michigan)
Emory
Uwashington
Evanton Memorial Hosp( Pennsylvania)
Baylor
UTSW
Surg Prelim (USCali)
Western Penn
LSU
Surg prelim (Sunny Upstate
UF prelim
Howard(2)

Emergency Med
Uchicago(2)
Emory
UTSW
ULouisville
Maricopa Medical center(Arizona)
Akron Gen Medical center

Family medicine
University Memorial
Mehedo(Minn)
U of Alabama
New Orleans
Meharry
Halifax(daytona beach)
Kansas City Miss
Providence Hosp(DC)
UT-Knox

Anesthesiology
Vanderbilt
Mayo
Maryland General Hospital
Baylor

Internal Medicine
Meharry(2)
WashU (Jewish Barnes)
Mason(Seattle)
UNC
Suny Downstate
BU Medical Center
UMDNJ
Baylor
Harvard
U of Miss
Kaiser Oakland
Ut Houston
Grenich Conn

Ortho
U of Cinn

Diag Rad
vANdy
prelim yale; UF

Med-Ped
UMKC
UT Memphis

Pediatrics
UMJackson Memorial Hospital
FSU Sacred Heart
Children National (DC)
Baylor
UF

Psychiatry
UTSW
WashU
Meharry

PMR
UTHST

Pathology
Vanderbilt

Neurology
VCU

wow thats a great list... impressive :). thanks for posting!

Hey I just got an interview via email yesterday for the 17th of April anyone else interviewing that day. Im so excited!!!!

I just cancelled my interview which was scheduled for March 27th. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting.:xf:

Good news...I have been accepted! Good luck to everyone else. If anyone has any information about housing please let me know.

Good news...I have been accepted! Good luck to everyone else. If anyone has any information about housing please let me know.

Congratulations.... hopefully I will be seeing you this fall. Quick question though. How long after you interviewed did you get a decision?

interviewed Nov 17, 2008. No decision as of present. Contacted admissions. Contacted Dr. Moseley. Both have avoided me like the plague. My parents and I agree that Meharry lost my application post interview. I wish they would just man up and say they lost it or something. I gave them 3+ months for a decision and 1+ month for them to settle my qualm. STILL SILENT! ARGHHHHHHHHH!

I got an acceptance letter mailed last week. I also didn't have a very welcoming interview experience. Another interviewee that felt the same way!

If anybody was wondering, they are still giving out interviews. I just got an interview invite for April 23rd...and I declined it.

It's sad, b/c had they offered it to me earlier in the season I would have gone for sure, but...I don't like feeling like the bottom of the barrel and didn't have the stats to be treated like such. By now, I fell in love with another school. All my research and life's work is devoted to improving healthcare of those who get overlooked...after reading through this thread, I'm kind of feeling glad I never made it to this place. I think their admissions process needs a little revamping.

Good luck to everybody still waiting to hear from them...I hope they end up making you feel supported and fabulous about what you are doing! I thought they had a great thing going.

Good luck to everyone! I am turning back an acceptance so I hope one of you who really wants to go gets it!!!!!

Thank you for withdrawing and not waiting till the very end so now those of us that have interviews in april have a chance. Good luck at what ever school you decide to go to.

I was interviewed Jan 12 and received an acceptance Feb 17. My interview experience went very well, the only negative was time constraints limiting the tour.

Good luck everyone who are sill waiting. Keep updating your schools of interest. Claim it, and it is yours!!

To those who are already set on attending I want to meet you, please message me. There is also a facebook group, Meharry Medical College - SOM Class of 2013, with only 6 people in it.

congrats cicie! I just sent an LOI so we'll see :)

I just got waitlisted today.. Does anybody know what the chances are of getting in or has anybody been pulled off the waiting list?? i really wanna go to this school! :xf:

I'm not sure if anyone has been accepted off the waitlist yet. I interviewed back in November and have been waitlisted since December. I'd really love to attend but this wait is killing me...

I've been on the waitlist since December too. I called yesterday and Ms. Davis said they had not accepted anyone from the waitlist yet but that the admissions committee is constantly reviewing the waitlist. Hopefully we hear sooner rather than later.

i heard they accept 200 people off the waitlist from my pre-med advisor... I have no idea if that is right or not. Has anyone sent a letter of interest and gotten a response?

well lets jus pray that we all get in at the end of the day.. i kno the wait sucks. its stressing.. we can get it even like a day or two before the summer session starts..

i heard they accept 200 people off the waitlist from my pre-med advisor... I have no idea if that is right or not. Has anyone sent a letter of interest and gotten a response?

Sorry, but I you med advisor must have meharry mixed up with another school. Meharry has One hundred spots open, slots first go to those students in their post-bacc program, them they accept a number of applicants based on the remaing spots.. I think Mr. Mosely said this year there was 80 something slots open. 200 would be double that amount slots that the school has...

Sorry, but I you med advisor must have meharry mixed up with another school. Meharry has One hundred spots open, slots first go to those students in their post-bacc program, them they accept a number of applicants based on the remaing spots.. I think Mr. Mosely said this year there was 80 something slots open. 200 would be double that amount slots that the school has...
yea i kinda figured that was the case

Does anyone know how many people have been accepted and/or waitlisted? Also to those that have been accepted when does school start and what do the days look like. I'm still so excited for my interview and I hope that I make it in this year.

Does anyone know how many people have been accepted and/or waitlisted? Also to those that have been accepted when does school start and what do the days look like. I'm still so excited for my interview and I hope that I make it in this year.

As far as I know approx. 30 spots remain open... good luck on your interview.

I interviewed last Thursday and it was great. The student panel was really cool and everything went well. I hope I get accepted...this school is my top choice.

Good luck hopefully we will be classmates in the fall. How was the campus tour what all did you get to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.