2008-2009 Meharry Medical College Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have an interview soon!!! :D I was just wondering if interviews will finish by 3pm for sure. I'm thinking of leaving on a return flight at 4:15 pm. For previous interviewees, how long did the interview day last?

Any help is much appreciated! :D

Thanks, Dr.oo

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on if you have a morning or afternoon interview. 4:15PM should be fine if you have a morning interview; might be cutting it a bit close. Traffic wasn't too bad and I was able to get to the airport by 3:30PM-4:00PM. GL!

i got an interview invite this morning but im withdrawing my application. good luck everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
im pretty sure they passed on me, been complete for over 3 months now. this one hurt.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I have an interview soon!!! :D I was just wondering if interviews will finish by 3pm for sure. I'm thinking of leaving on a return flight at 4:15 pm. For previous interviewees, how long did the interview day last?

Any help is much appreciated! :D

Thanks, Dr.oo

I had a morning interview and was out of there by 1:00.

I got an interview but im not gonna go....i would've liked to but plane tickets cost money:(

I heard they do regional interviews? :eek:

Is this true or have things changed?

Dr.oo :D

Anyone know if regional interviews are possible at Meharry?

I have been trying to get in touch with admissions for the past week with no luck :scared:

Any help is much appreciated!

Dr. oo :D

i got an interview on the 6th of february. but i am curious if the interview is closed file or not? thanks

I don't know if they know your GPA or MCAT score, but they did know what I put on my AMCAS application. They asked specific questions about my experiences. I know that does not fully answer your question but maybe it helps.

i got an interview on the 6th of february. but i am curious if the interview is closed file or not? thanks
they definitely had my test scores and gpa and amcas... idk if they had the secondary.

It was very entertaining reading Alyssa and MeharryDoc posts. Im also a first year Meharry medical student. Meharry is not perfect but i dont think its right to post negative comments about the school over and over again. We should be honest but MeharryDoc seems to be frustrated with Meharry and he or she is complaining to all of SDN.

One thing is true if you came to Meharry you have to work HARD. We are not spoon fed. I have my complaints about Meharry but i also love the school especially because of my classmates (we are a family!). I know that sounds cheesy.

If anyone wants advice or more info on the first semester of med school or boards. PM me!

Good Luck with the application process. The hardest part about med school is getting in!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks ya all for the words about the interview.

all schools have their negatives. no school is perfect. it is how you make of it. i look forward to seeing meharry in february:D

For those on the wait list, have you or are you sending a letter of interest or intent?

Hey everyone,

I'm excited about visiting Meharry next week.

They say the interview day will be from 10am to 3pm. Is it likely to extend past 3 pm?

My plane leaves at 5:15 pm and I have to be at the airport at 4:15 pm.

Any help is much appreciated. :D

Thanks, Dr.oo :D

I have been on the wait list since early December. The last time I made any contact with the office was at that time. I called them to ask abou the wait list process, but I haven't sent a letter yet. I'm not too good with letters of intent. I'm always worried about saying anything that could sound desperate & ruin my chances. That's just me being nervous. Anyone hear anything new about the wait list? Any thoughts about letters of intent that are emailed vs. snail mailed?

Good luck everyone!

Dr.oo...

From my experience, they were pretty good about letting you out on time. You might even have an earlier interview and the chance to leave earlier than others. Good luck!

I have been on the wait list since early December. The last time I made any contact with the office was at that time. I called them to ask abou the wait list process, but I haven't sent a letter yet. I'm not too good with letters of intent. I'm always worried about saying anything that could sound desperate & ruin my chances. That's just me being nervous. Anyone hear anything new about the wait list? Any thoughts about letters of intent that are emailed vs. snail mailed?

Good luck everyone!

I have the same problem with whether or not to write a letter of intent. Has anyone sent their updated grades to the school? Is this necessary/appreciated?

I interviewed in early November and still no news. They hate me, hehe. Oh well-

Does anyone know how many people are put on the waitlisted, rejected, or accepted after the interview? I'm on the waitlist and am trying to figure out my chances...I haven't even heard of anyone being rejected

Does any one know if they're still giving out interview invites? :confused:

what do u think will put an applicant above the standard to be accepted at this school? I wanted it badly.

I wish you the best filli. Your trek is an inspiration to me. The level of commitment that it takes to go through this process multiple times will definitely pay off. I pray that you are successful this time, and best of luck.

I called Mr. Mosley today to ask about being on the wait list. He said that the committee won't review files again until late February, and they've only accepted 27 people into the class. Congrats to those who have already been accepted, and good luck to everyone else!

I Hope somebody gets a call/email for an interview soon!
I just withdrew from my interview scheduled on Feb. 16th. (accepted at Penn State)
GOOD LUCK GUYS!

To all on here please ignore MeharryDoc, whoever he is since he feels the need to be anonymous. I hope and pray you know who I am, and I encourage you to please come and find me, cause believe I am trying to find you. You don't even deserve to call yourself a Meharrian. I am going to remain professional to my best ability, but please forgive me everyone I am steaming mad over here. No Meharry does not have the reputaton of a Harvard or a Yale. No Meharry is not associated with big names, and fancy equipment, and all those other gadgets big medical schools have. But, what Meharry does have is genuine people who are out to become genuine physicians, and who genuinely want to help people. Just like our institution, we aren't here for fame and fortune because at the end of the day, when you leave this earth, you can't take any of that with you. All you can leave is a memory of the type of person you were on this earth, and a lasting impression on those you touched. Meharry is not unlike other medical schools everyone of them has there pluses and minuses. The curriculum 1st and 2nd year is not that disorganized, and the area that need to be improved are getting improvements. The good thing about the curriculum not being set in stone is that we as students have an input on what needs to be done to make it better. For example, issues that we had with two classes last year were totally revamped this year and are now great for the 1st year students, the same as what happened for us. You see, we may have to go through a course that wasn't as good as it could have been, but then we make suggestions, and the faculty reacts immediately and changes it so it is better for those behind us. Thats another reason why our board scores are improving every year. This Meharry Doc fellow is a coward and he is the exact opposite of what Meharry is about, and its mission. How could you ever speak a negative thing toward the place who gave you the opportunity to fulfill your dream? Meharry has the type of professors that will invite you to there house, feed you, stay with you until all times of night to make sire you understand something, come to class to teach you on their sick bed, and go that extra mile just to make sure you reach your full potential and become the great physician God has called you to be. They too do not do it for fame or fortune, or for pats on the back. They do it so that we can fulfill our mission that has been bestowed upon us. Meharry is one of the best medical schools you could ever go to because you will learn how to become a great physician by experiencing good times and bad, hardships and successes, triumphs and defeat, and most importantly, you will develop a sense of humility and humbleness that has to be learned in order to reach those you will have to help. They took a chance on me and alot of us when we didn't have 30 MCAT scores, and yea we may not average a 240 on boards or what not, but Meharry graduates some of the finest African American Physicians, as well as Physicians in general across this country and world. Patients aren't MCAT scores and STEP 1 scores, those are only instruments to get you through certain doors. But once you are through those doors, having graduated from Meharry you will not only bust through those doors and shine, you will have also created another door for someone else to make it. Lastly, yes we have to work harder and go that extra mile, but in the end, what patient doesn't want a doctor who is battle tested and also willing to go that extra mile for them? Like with all things you get out what you put in. Meharry also makes life long friendships. Not even friendships, it gives you new family because thats what Meharry is, its a family, and trust me you will need that to make it. Whoever MeharryDoc is doesn't understand that sense of family, he doesn't understand Meharry, and he is in no way, shape, form, or fashion what a Meharry student stands for or embodies. We will give back and give all we can. We will go that extra mile, we will go above and beyond all others, whether it be for our patients, for Meharry, in our books, on our boards, and for our family, and not for fame, fortune or anything close, but because thats what being a physician is about, and thats what Meharry is about. If you are one of the luck few to be accepted at Meharry, trust me it is a blessing and you are very fortunate. God has called and placed you here and trust me GOD does not make mistakes. You will become prepared here, you will be ready to serve and practice medicine upon leaving here, and every resource you need to make it here is available. You just have to want it, believe it, and go out and achieve it. Ignore all of this negativity and trust me. I know, because I am a living witness. MeharryDoc please come and find me, im begging you please!

I have to respond and say that while there are some things could be fixed within Meharry's curriculum you will also find those same complaints at almost all other medical schools across the country. Every medical student is going to find something about their school to gripe about but you have to take the school as a whole and make a decision from there.

I personally am extremely grateful to have been accepted by Meharry, and can not think of another school in the country where I would feel more at home. I am excited about graduating in the next few months, but it is with mixed emotions as I will be leaving some of the greatest and most caring people I have ever meet. I just hope that the friendships I have developed over the past 4 years will continue on for the rest of my life.

I also believe that I am extremely well prepared for residency and all that comes with it.

To all on here please ignore MeharryDoc, whoever he is since he feels the need to be anonymous. I hope and pray you know who I am, and I encourage you to please come and find me, cause believe I am trying to find you. You don't even deserve to call yourself a Meharrian. I am going to remain professional to my best ability, but please forgive me everyone I am steaming mad over here. No Meharry does not have the reputaton of a Harvard or a Yale. No Meharry is not associated with big names, and fancy equipment, and all those other gadgets big medical schools have. But, what Meharry does have is genuine people who are out to become genuine physicians, and who genuinely want to help people. Just like our institution, we aren't here for fame and fortune because at the end of the day, when you leave this earth, you can't take any of that with you. All you can leave is a memory of the type of person you were on this earth, and a lasting impression on those you touched. Meharry is not unlike other medical schools everyone of them has there pluses and minuses. The curriculum 1st and 2nd year is not that disorganized, and the area that need to be improved are getting improvements. The good thing about the curriculum not being set in stone is that we as students have an input on what needs to be done to make it better. For example, issues that we had with two classes last year were totally revamped this year and are now great for the 1st year students, the same as what happened for us. You see, we may have to go through a course that wasn't as good as it could have been, but then we make suggestions, and the faculty reacts immediately and changes it so it is better for those behind us. Thats another reason why our board scores are improving every year. This Meharry Doc fellow is a coward and he is the exact opposite of what Meharry is about, and its mission. How could you ever speak a negative thing toward the place who gave you the opportunity to fulfill your dream? Meharry has the type of professors that will invite you to there house, feed you, stay with you until all times of night to make sire you understand something, come to class to teach you on their sick bed, and go that extra mile just to make sure you reach your full potential and become the great physician God has called you to be. They too do not do it for fame or fortune, or for pats on the back. They do it so that we can fulfill our mission that has been bestowed upon us. Meharry is one of the best medical schools you could ever go to because you will learn how to become a great physician by experiencing good times and bad, hardships and successes, triumphs and defeat, and most importantly, you will develop a sense of humility and humbleness that has to be learned in order to reach those you will have to help. They took a chance on me and alot of us when we didn't have 30 MCAT scores, and yea we may not average a 240 on boards or what not, but Meharry graduates some of the finest African American Physicians, as well as Physicians in general across this country and world. Patients aren't MCAT scores and STEP 1 scores, those are only instruments to get you through certain doors. But once you are through those doors, having graduated from Meharry you will not only bust through those doors and shine, you will have also created another door for someone else to make it. Lastly, yes we have to work harder and go that extra mile, but in the end, what patient doesn't want a doctor who is battle tested and also willing to go that extra mile for them? Like with all things you get out what you put in. Meharry also makes life long friendships. Not even friendships, it gives you new family because thats what Meharry is, its a family, and trust me you will need that to make it. Whoever MeharryDoc is doesn't understand that sense of family, he doesn't understand Meharry, and he is in no way, shape, form, or fashion what a Meharry student stands for or embodies. We will give back and give all we can. We will go that extra mile, we will go above and beyond all others, whether it be for our patients, for Meharry, in our books, on our boards, and for our family, and not for fame, fortune or anything close, but because thats what being a physician is about, and thats what Meharry is about. If you are one of the luck few to be accepted at Meharry, trust me it is a blessing and you are very fortunate. God has called and placed you here and trust me GOD does not make mistakes. You will become prepared here, you will be ready to serve and practice medicine upon leaving here, and every resource you need to make it here is available. You just have to want it, believe it, and go out and achieve it. Ignore all of this negativity and trust me. I know, because I am a living witness. MeharryDoc please come and find me, im begging you please!

This is an awesome post. I am a pre-med, and no amount of negativity spewed from this forum will change the way I feel about Meharry. It is a great university with a long list of talented and well respected alumni. I am not one to dwell on the comments of naysayers. I respect that all people are entitled to their own opinions, even if they do make us cringe. Believe me, posting on SDN is not going to put a dent in the schools reputation. This school is much better than that...

Meharrydoc, you just sound bitter. You seem like you need a lot of help and that the challenges of medical school and maybe some other things in your life are making you ridiculously unhappy. I actually feel sorry for you. You know there is help for you. Meharry wants us all to be happy and the CEDS center has people you can talk to. Your resentment and bitterness about Meharry seems to stem deeper than just "classes" and the stress of the "disorganization" of the medical school. I honestly think you need a hug and a friend.

Meharrydoc, you should be happy and thankful that Meharry even gave you a second look. Your are BLESSED to be here! You are BLESSED to even get a chance to become a physician, and you are BLESSED to even be given a chance to call yourself a Meharry student! Meharry has a history of giving people who really want to practice medicine who were and are not usually given a chance to do so. They took a chance on you as they have many others, and you want to sit here and "look a gift horse in the mouth"? Grow up! You seem like you may not have done very well in school, and you're pissed off at Meharry because of your short comings and your incapabilities of doing well. Suck it up, grow up, and study. Medical school is hard, and there are plenty of us going through things. I, too, didn't do as well as I wanted to my first semester, but not ONCE did I blame Meharry for what I could not acheive. I take responsibilities for my actions, and I have sucked it up and am doing well now.

First of all, to all those on the waiting list, to all those that have been told about the post bac program. I know all about both, so if you need help, I can answer any question you have about that.

Secondly, like many Meharrians have posted...there are problems EVERYWHERE! I have been to 2 very big names schools and I was accepted to a medical 2 medical schools (MSU and here) and interviewed at many others. When you're choosing your schools you have to school the school that fits you best. Please please please, do your interviews, if you can! It's the best way to see the school in its rawest (I know that's not a word) form. Honestly, I go by the old fashion way...if you see people smiling and happy, the school probably is generally happy place. If you see people all pissed off and not being helpful or nice or not looking you in the eye, that says a lot about the school too.

And lastly, Meharrydoc I just think it's so cowardly for you to not even show yourself. You KNOW Meharry took a chance on you, and you now can't show your face b/c you know that anyone from any school that talked so horribly about the school that let them persue their dream and gave them a position in ther med school class that thousands of people would only wish to have...you know you will have repercussions that could jepordize your "success" here. What a coward! I hope you become a physician that has no patient contact b/c I can already see that you're not going to have good bedside manner. I pray for you, I pray for your family, and lastly I pray for the patients you will have under your supervision.

I hate to be the spoil sport but I'm not sure this is the place to be airing dirty laundry. In-fighting and ganging up on each other doesn't seem to be helpful to the students that are going through the process. I'm sure there might be a allopathic thread where you guys can continue the discussion.

Someone asked this so I'll answer:
1. There are 2 interviewers
2. One has your stats GPA, MCAT, this is the “hot” interviewer
3. The other is the "cold" interviewer, has none of your stats, just want to find out about you.
Secondly, I would like to apologize to those who interviewed on Friday January 30th. Some students commented that the student panel was not nice. I was there and it was actually one person. I heard she was having a bad day. The issue has been reported. At whatever schools you all interview, do not feel intimidated by the student panel. They have no interviewing decisions, they just give more insight into you as a person. Two tips for student panel: don’t ask any question at all and don’t ask bad questions. Some students take being comfortable too far and may ask inappropriate questions. Don’t feel obligated to ask a question!
PEACE!

2. One has your stats GPA, MCAT, this is the "hot" interviewer
3. The other is the "cold" interviewer, has none of your stats, just want to find out about you.
Secondly, I would like to apologize to those who interviewed on Friday January 30th. Some students commented that the student panel was not nice. I was there and it was actually one person. I heard she was having a bad day. The issue has been reported. At whatever schools you all interview, do not feel intimidated by the student panel. They have no interviewing decisions, they just give more insight into you as a person. Two tips for student panel: don't ask any question at all and don't ask bad questions. Some students take being comfortable too far and may ask inappropriate questions. Don't feel obligated to ask a question!
PEACE!

I actually interviewed during the first week of interviews at Meharry and was accepted about a month later. Its very unfortunate because I experienced the same thing during the interview process. Some of the students on the panel were not nice or welcoming at all (2 girls in particular one was from cali if I'm not mistaken) It really turned me off and a few other interviewees that I talked to felt the same way. I really think that the admissions com. should really think about revising this or eliminating it all together. For starters they conduct the panel interview during lunch, however none of the interviewees got a chance to eat b/c as soon as we sat down the med students started drilling us writing our names down and jotting things down as we spoke. Asking us why we wanted to go into medicine one by one. It was really intimidating and instead of really being able to get to know more about the students and Meharry we were all on pins and needles. Not a good experience at all IMO.

2. One has your stats GPA, MCAT, this is the “hot” interviewer
Secondly, I would like to apologize to those who interviewed on Friday January 30th. Some students commented that the student panel was not nice. I was there and it was actually one person. I heard she was having a bad day. The issue has been reported. At whatever schools you all interview, do not feel intimidated by the student panel. They have no interviewing decisions, they just give more insight into you as a person. Two tips for student panel: don’t ask any question at all and don’t ask bad questions. Some students take being comfortable too far and may ask inappropriate questions. Don’t feel obligated to ask a question!
PEACE!
this actually wasn't my experience, they both definitely had my mcat scores and gpa... and both grilled me on why my score in bio went up lol. they were really nice though; my student panel was very nice... maybe it varies. i had a very positive experience of the school.

Let keep this thread rolling people.

I'm anxiously waiting for Meharry to notify me of a rejection, waitlist, or acceptance!!!

If anyone had a negative experience with the student panel, you can e-mail Mr. Mosley at [email protected]. He would like to find out more so we can make improvements and adjustments as necessary. BTW I found out that the student panel are interviewing you ...sort of... that is why they take down note. However, their role is not to be harsh or rude. The faculty interviewers are the ones that are supposed to grill you.

I thought it was really rude of the student interviewers to grill us during lunch. I was trying to eat my salad, com'on! :D

And another thing, I felt bad for the guy/gal that had to answer "Why Medicine?" and "Why Meharry?" last. Com'on, by the time the student panel got to the last interviewee, the answers start to sound the same.

Overall, I thought it was unprofessional, awkwardly timed, and unnecessary. On a brighter note, I did like one of the faculty--he's an old timer who wants to get rid of the scaled grading system, but he says not many people support him. He's funny, too bad I forgot his name.

Last edited:
I was wondering if Meharry has a program that allows interviewee to stay with current students. I will be interviewing at Meharry on the 20th and would love the opportunity to get to know a current student. Also this interview season has been quite expensive for me. I have been to some schools that do this and it was quite helpful.

Let keep this thread rolling people.

I'm anxiously waiting for Meharry to notify me of a rejection, waitlist, or acceptance!!!

Same here. Good luck to you!!! How long ago did you interview??

DrSXM- stay at the Music City Hostel. It's only a couple mins away from Meharry. Only costs $25 per night.

Had one of the best sleeps of my life! They even let me stay in a $70/night room since it's not busy at all at this time of year (for $25)

I interviewed 2 weeks ago....just got an email today notifying me that I was put on the waitlist :thumbdown:

....the waiting continues....:D

Is it normal to have interviewed in early November and yet have no decision made?

Last edited:
DrSXM- stay at the Music City Hostel. It's only a couple mins away from Meharry. Only costs $25 per night.

Had one of the best sleeps of my life! They even let me stay in a $70/night room since it's not busy at all at this time of year (for $25)

I interviewed 2 weeks ago....just got an email today notifying me that I was put on the waitlist :thumbdown:

We are in the same boat doc, but I look at it this way. Waitlist is better than rejection, and since classes start so early at Meharry, we should know something pretty soon. I hear that they go to their waitlist during March (don't quote me on this), which is a lot earlier than most schools. Keep ya head up :thumbup:

Is it normal to have interviewed in early November and yet have no decision?

I don't think that's normal at all. You should give them a call just to make sure there's nothing wrong with your application.

Yeah, I'd give them a call for sure.

Hang in there everyone. :D

I don't know what # to call, and I keep getting the answer machine from Debra Davis?

Thanks Doctaroo. That really helps me out. Hey stay prayful this is just a test of your faith. In the end you'll be where you need to be.

I don't think the students grilled us. My Feb 6 interview, we had lunch with the students, and they did write stuff down, but no one was rude. I enjoyed it and appreciated the session. For anyone else interviewing readblue is correct except both interviewers had my file. However, only one "grilled" me. Remember, once you get to the interview they only want to know about you, your character, and if you are genuinely interested in medicine. Be YOURSELF!

Status
Not open for further replies.