2008-2009 NYU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought schools won't know till after may 15.

Nope. I was told by an administrator at Georgetown back in Nov. that schools know where you stand by the end of march. She even alluded to that fact that they do talk to other schools to get info on candidates fates even before then.

Members don't see this ad.

Right

Schools find out about your status elsewhere on March 15th

You have to notify schools by May 15th

This is the buffer period in place for schools to compete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how quickly NYU wants a decision after they offer an acceptance off the waitlist?

They had every school listed that I'm holding a spot at. It was a little freaky!!

I agree it was kinda weird!

Correct me if I'm wrong but a school can only know where else you've been accepted if they have accepted you already? So a school where you are waitlisted can't find out where else you're in?

I agree it was kinda weird!

Correct me if I'm wrong but a school can only know where else you've been accepted if they have accepted you already? So a school where you are waitlisted can't find out where else you're in?
I have no idea... thats a good question!

Does anyone know anyone else who has gotten off the waitlist already? I know it's 4 days until May 15th, so I figure they might be doing this already and I'm going crazy with anxiousness.

Ok, I just called: The wait-list is not ranked and everyone is re-reviewed (so the person who got off of the WL puzzles me! though a good news :)). The person on the phone said that they have no idea how many people may be taken off this year, and they will be re-reviewing everyone *after* May 15th...

I called them last Thursday and was told that the waitlist had *not* moved and would not move until after the 15th. Hmmm. I am getting super-anxious here.

Ok, I just called: The wait-list is not ranked and everyone is re-reviewed (so the person who got off of the WL puzzles me! though a good news :)). The person on the phone said that they have no idea how many people may be taken off this year, and they will be re-reviewing everyone *after* May 15th...

AFTER May 15th? That means that we won't hear anything til a few days later. Are they actually trying to kill me or is that just going to be an added side effect of this much anxiousness??

Accepted off the waitlist at about 10:30 this morning!

-Interviewed the LAST week (second to last day I think), 1/29
-Sent a post interview letter of interest/update letter on 2/5
-Waitlisted 3/2, just like everybody else

Accepted today! So excited, now I've got a tough choice. Cheap state school at home in Georgia, or a pricy new and exciting adventure in NYC for 4 years? Well at least I have 2 weeks to think it over.

Good luck to everyone still waiting

Accepted off the waitlist at about 10:30 this morning!

-Interviewed the LAST week (second to last day I think), 1/29
-Sent a post interview letter of interest/update letter on 2/5
-Waitlisted 3/2, just like everybody else

Accepted today! So excited, now I've got a tough choice. Cheap state school at home in Georgia, or a pricy new and exciting adventure in NYC for 4 years? Well at least I have 2 weeks to think it over.

Good luck to everyone still waiting
congratulations!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks!

I'm really pumped, just got the financial aid email this afternoon. Seems like things will move fast! I'm just trying to figure out how much this is actually going to cost if I choose to go.

I guess I'm just trying to decide if the reduced cost of going to my state school would be worth the possible regret of NOT heading to NYC for 4 years of my young 20's....sheesh tough one, but my gut seems to be pulling me towards a new adventure :thumbup:

thanks! and yes, letter of interest post interview, see above or my mdapps

I just got the same email this morning!!! Very excited!!!! Can't wait to meet you all next year!!

very jealous of all of you. makes me worried that some acceptances are going on pre-may15th

congrats to those who got in but i gotta be honest this is making me more nervous. i hope there are plenty of spots still open for those of us on the outside looking in

Congrats to all who are getting in! Waitlist season is getting really exciting and nerve-wracking now.
btw, does your status change when you get accepted?

Based on historic numbers, I'm sure there are plenty of spots to be filled in the coming weeks, good luck to everybody!

Yes the status does change with a link to the pay-deposit page right next to it :rolleyes:.

What time today does everyone have to decline multiple acceptances?

I just talked to someone in admissions. They said to expect movement in June. I dont believe anything I hear anymore.

I just talked to someone in admissions. They said to expect movement in June. I dont believe anything I hear anymore.

yeah... when i called, they told me they wont even start re-reviewing WL-ed students until after 5/15... but it seems like according to SDN, multiple people (even from just SDN!) have gotten off of the WL prior to today... not sure what to think.

yeah they must have had a particular ranking system in place, where there were a few students they would take off the list early, 1st tier wait list students. Maybe the bunch of us then fall back into a large pile post may 15th.

Withdrew from the waitlist today. Good luck to all of you!

I withdrew from the wait list as well today. Going to be staying in Canada. All the best to those waiting.

I withdrew today so hope someone else loves it! Anyone have experience in how long it takes to get your deposit back?

Any news anybody?
I wonder whether if the waitlist movement hasn't moved again for the time being or it's just that no one's posted anything.

Well, for anybody who's interested,
I called the admissions office and the lady told me that there's been a bit of waitlist movement so far but they're not accepting anyone at the moment because they have a full class as of now.
And they don't tell you how many people are on the waitlist.

yeah, that's a real bummer. especially since we had heard about the significant waitlist movement from last year. sigh.

Well, it varies from year to year. The WL is always in a state of flux, nothing stays the same. :laugh:

Good news for you guys... I just deferred for a year. Hope one of you gets it! (sucks for 2014 though :smuggrin:)

has anyone heard anything new lately?

i called the office today, but all the lady told me is that they haven't accepted anyone in over a week. since May 15 was exactly a week ago, it's possible that the ADCOM re-reviewed our files this week and will start accepting more people next week? it seems like there hasn't been that much waitlist movement at NYU this year... :xf:

Last edited:
I called the admissions office and the lady told me that there's been a bit of waitlist movement so far but they're not accepting anyone at the moment because they have a full class as of now.

i wonder if that's really true though. i was searching class group pages on Facebook, and NYU's class of 2013 currently only has 43 members (compared to NYU class of 2012's 155). i know that not everyone has Facebook, and not every matriculated student will join the class group right away. but other schools' class of 2013 group pages are much more crowded: Vanderbilt has 93 members, Columbia has 99, and Case Western has 110, just to name a few. i would imagine that these schools really are approaching their class size.

just trying to stay optimistic :)

Last edited:

Hey all, I called yesterday and got the same response: the class is full at this time.

this really sucks. three schools that ive been waitlisted at have pretty much said that their class is full right now already.

My guess is that there's going to be waitlist movement every two weeks or so... everyone who got in right around May 15th have two weeks to accept or deny, so when some of them deny, then they can start accepting other people... also other schools are still pulling people off of waitlists that are currently planning on going to NYU, so I really have to believe that there will be more waitlist movement soon. At least I hope so.

I called today and the nice lady on the phone told me that the class is still full.
I also asked her whether the acceptances will go out in batches or case-by-case and she said probably in batches,
which means that they're expecting some more sizeable movements rather than trickling ones.

to be honest, i don't think the admissions people who pick up the phones really know or tell the truth sometimes. the only movement now is if people in the class withdraw, which is pretty unlikely, so it's not going to be in batches. i think we have to be realistic in that we probably won't see anything

looking at last year's waitlist movement thread it looks like students were accepted every 2 weeks or so. this trend continued into july. however, there weren't batches of acceptances but just a few every 2 weeks or so. so i guess, those of us still waiting might have some glimmer of hope although the future doesn't look too bright.

but last year there was a lot more movement after may 15 because the class wasn't full, right? i read that somewhere here i think. and in the end there were like 30-40 people taken off the waitlist, which led to people this year thinking the same and feeling their chances weren't so bad off the wl?

but this year, the class was already full after may15, so the chances now are pretty slim, definitely can't be 30-40 people end up withdrawing after may15, right?

looking at last year's waitlist movement thread it looks like students were accepted every 2 weeks or so. this trend continued into july. however, there weren't batches of acceptances but just a few every 2 weeks or so. so i guess, those of us still waiting might have some glimmer of hope although the future doesn't look too bright.

"class is full" may just mean that they've sent out the maximum number of acceptances allowed at any given time.

on another note, does anyone have the match list for 2009? if so, can you kindly PM it to me? thanks -

class is full literally means class is full since it's after may 15

which means no further acceptances will go out unless somebody withdraws, chances of which are slim

class is full literally means class is full since it's after may 15

which means no further acceptances will go out unless somebody withdraws, chances of which are slim

not necessarily. from my experience with other schools, "full" can be interpreted in different ways. just to give an example, it's possible that 120 students have paid their deposits (i.e. locked in their seats) and 35 students have subsequently been accepted from the waitlist. the adcom will not want to accept anyone else until those 35 say yes or no. if those 35 people were accepted around may 15, they have up until the end of this week to make their decisions. the class may be considered "full" until/unless at least one of those 35 declines his or her acceptance.

i'm not trying to be overly optimistic or anything. i know chances may be slim, but i have another acceptance in hand that i'd be more than happy taking. i just don't think any of us are in the position to make any assertions about admissions, regardless of what a secretary may have said on the phone.

as much as i want to agree with you, there have literally been like 2 acceptances around may15 for nyu that sdn people have posted about.

it doesn't look good.

Just a note regarding the NYU Waitlist and my daughter's experience with the class matriculating in fall 2007. She made the NYU waitlist and was hopeful until the day before school started. Apparently several waitlisted candidates were accepted shortly after the May 15th date, and thereafter no one was admitted. The school over-accepted in anticipation of the movement that never occurred. Each time she called, she was told, "maybe" or "we're still full" and my favorite "last year we had an opening the day before school began." She didn't get a spot and declined to interview the next year. :( :( :( :mad: :thumbdown:

Thank you for sharing your daughter's experience. In spite of how hard and sometimes even ridiculous the admissions process is, people tend to end up at a good place. I hope that she is happy wherever she chose to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.