2008-2009 U Penn (University of Pennsylvania) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I told myself that if I were waitlisted, I would not wait around until August trying to get in (esp. with the unranked list). Now, I guess that I need to take my own advice.

Congrats everyone that was accepted, and good luck to everyone!!! :luck:

How does unranked work? Is it random?

Have they determined us all to be equal?

How does unranked work? Is it random?

Have they determined us all to be equal?

I don't know how it works and honestly, I don't really care. I feel that if you want to get in, you should put in the same effort regardless. So if you want it, call and write those letters! :D

And while it's unranked, there are allegedly two tiers (and in past years, some people where told they were at the top of tier 1, and some people were even invited to Penn Preview).

Oh. That just made me sad. I won't get to go to any Second Look weekends. :( Ah well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tier 1 waitlist so there's no top of tier 1 waitlist this year?

I don't know how it works and honestly, I don't really care. I feel that if you want to get in, you should put in the same effort regardless. So if you want it, call and write those letters! :D

And while it's unranked, there are allegedly two tiers (and in past years, some people where told they were at the top of tier 1, and some people were even invited to Penn Preview).

Oh. That just made me sad. I won't get to go to any Second Look weekends. :( Ah well.

I agree with you. I am curious because essentially there has to be a ranking...and if some applicants are told they are at the top of tier 1...then their really is one despite what the say.

Anyway..doesn't matter much now.

Waitlist Tier 1 as well. Bummed! But not surprised. I'm definitely going to stay on it and make every effort to get off of it come spring/summer.

Congrats to those very lucky ones who got in!

Also accepted here. Best of luck to everyone else waiting!

For all of us waitlisters:

How many people will be accepted from the waitlist?
The number varies from year to year, depending on the number of people who withdraw from the initial acceptance group. We are not able to predict a specific number at this time. Best guess: 12 to 50.

Can I find out my ranking on the waitlist?
There is no rank on the waitlist. The committee has divided the waitlist into two tiers. Candidates have been notified of their tier placement to facilitate students' planning processes.

Could I receive an estimate of my chances for admission?
It is not possible to estimate chances for admission because of the many factors and variables that are not in our control.

How many others are on the waitlist?
There are not a fixed number of positions on the waitlist. Individuals are placed on the waitlist if they are found to be highly qualified, and there is no room in the class. The list ranges from a larger number (400) in March to a reduced size (100) later in the year (May). Reductions occur by self-selection or Committee action.

Is it acceptable for me to write to the Committee on Admissions of my continued interest in Penn and my most recent accomplishments?
Yes. Such communications are very helpful and will be added to your file. You are welcome to submit any additional information to our application that you wish us to consider.

If I am applying for admission to the combined degree program and I am on the waitlist, am I being considered for both combined degree and MD acceptance?
No, applicants must designate a program of choice (MD or MD/PhD) when the AMCAS application is submitted. Students are only considered for the program they initially select.

Are deferments granted to students who are accepted from the waitlist?
DEFERMENTS ARE NOT GRANTED TO APPLICANTS ACCEPTED FROM THE WAITLIST.

I have been placed on your waitlist, but I have received other acceptances. Should I wait to hear from the University of Pennsylvania before making up my mind?
No. You should decide among present school acceptances and make preliminary plans to attend. Should you be accepted at Penn, you will then need to decide if you are able to change your plans. We hope that you would be willing to accept an offer of admission, however, we understand that many factors, including the timing of the offer could affect your plans.

When will I hear that I have been accepted or that I will not be accepted?
Acceptances from the waitlist may be made at any time. Generally, waitlist acceptances are not made until May. Acceptances may continue, on a limited basis, throughout the summer until the first day of class, August 10, 2009. The School of Medicine, as all medical schools, will not offer a place to a candidate who has begun enrollment or an official orientation program in another medical school.

Would it help my chances of being accepted if I spoke directly with the Director of Admissions or the Chairman of the Committee on Admissions?
The entire staff in the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid is able to respond to your queries. If there is an unusual matter related to your situation, your call will be directed to the appropriate individual who can best assist you. Generally, we recommend that waitlist applicants submit information in writing to be added to their application file.

If I decide that I would not accept a place if offered, should I communicate that to the Committee on Admissions?
A communication, withdrawing your application, will expedite matters for another candidate and your courtesy would be well appreciated.

I will not be at my current address this summer. What should I do to insure that you would be able to contact me?
Please make certain that we have a valid address, telephone number and email address for you for the entire summer, and update these as necessary. Many students travel during this time so please be certain that we can always contact someone who can reach you or with whom you will be in regular contact. If you will be traveling, make certain that the person who will be receiving your mail and answering your calls knows what you want to do about an acceptance from the University of Pennsylvania. If you are offered an acceptance you will need to make a $100 deposit in a short period of time, so you will want to be prepared.

Will there still be housing if I am accepted from the Waitlist?
There is plenty of housing available in the immediate area and on campus. Please refer to http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/housing/graduate.html for off campus housing information even while on the waitlist.

If accepted from the Waitlist, when will I file financial aid applications and how will my aid be affected?
If Penn is a strong school preference, list Penn (003378) on your 2009-10 FAFSA. Penn's institutional financial aid application can be filed only after you have been contacted by the school regarding admission. An acceptance from the waitlist does not decrease your financial aid eligibility or opportunity for scholarship funds.

400 on the waitlist???

Oh lord....

Accepted! What a pleasant surprise.

ACCEPTED! :love:

I am shocked and extremely thankful!

Hang in there waitlisters! I was waitlisted or rejected at all of the other top 20 schools I applied to. Best of luck if you are going to hold out for Penn. :luck:

ACCEPTED! :love:

I am shocked and extremely thankful!

Hang in there waitlisters! I was waitlisted or rejected at all of the other top 20 schools I applied to. Best of luck if you are going to hold out for Penn. :luck:

Congrats!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted - tier 1
and the wait begins again

does anyone have the link to last year's penn thread?

waitlist tier 1.

so now i'm 0 for 4 at the non-rolling schools i interviewed at, and 9 for 9 at the rolling ones. so weird!

waitlisted - tier 1
and the wait begins again

does anyone have the link to last year's penn thread?

I found it before by just searching "Penn" in the pre-allo thread. There is one called Penn 2012 hopefuls and another about Penn's waitlist.

So far mdapps is showing 17 waitlists and 2 acceptances for this year! yikes

waitlist tier 1.

so now i'm 0 for 4 at the non-rolling schools i interviewed at, and 9 for 9 at the rolling ones. so weird!

I had better luck at the rolling ones too!

:laugh: I think they're getting a lot of phone calls, so guys, don't call, email. I just tried to call to ask a few questions (should I mail letters or email them?) and she asked me to just email my questions if I don't need answers immediately. She was nice about it though. :)

waitlist tier 1 - I loved the place but I wouldnt leave nyc for penn...
congratulations to all those accepted!!! and hang in there waitlisters! I believe I will withdraw so maybe it'll help you all.
goodbye UPenn :) I had an awesome time on interview day

"Your application was very highly regarded by the Committee, and therefore, you have been placed on the first tier waitlist--among those at the very top of the list. Your placement on the list means you will be one of the first students considered for admission from the waitlist...

Because of our continuing interest in your admission to Penn, we invite you to Penn Preview, our student revisit program planned for April 23-25. This program is a wonderful way to reconnect with Penn, its faculty, students, and programs. We hope that you will join us.

We hope that you will maintain a strong interest in Penn and that you will confirm this interest by completing the Waitlist Response Form."

Don't know what to make of this. Seems like it's a pretty positive waitlist position that is just shy of an acceptance but still an ocean away. What do people think? Should I stay on? Penn is awesome, but I'm also pretty in love with Columbia P&S which has always been at the top of my list. What would others do? And would it be awkward to go to Penn Preview?

"Your application was very highly regarded by the Committee, and therefore, you have been placed on the first tier waitlist--among those at the very top of the list. Your placement on the list means you will be one of the first students considered for admission from the waitlist...

Because of our continuing interest in your admission to Penn, we invite you to Penn Preview, our student revisit program planned for April 23-25. This program is a wonderful way to reconnect with Penn, its faculty, students, and programs. We hope that you will join us.

We hope that you will maintain a strong interest in Penn and that you will confirm this interest by completing the Waitlist Response Form."

Don't know what to make of this. Seems like it's a pretty positive waitlist position that is just shy of an acceptance but still an ocean away. What do people think? Should I stay on? Penn is awesome, but I'm also pretty in love with Columbia P&S which has always been at the top of my list. What would others do? And would it be awkward to go to Penn Preview?

If they accepted you from the waitlist, would you go?

Do you think seeing the school again at a preview would help with that decision?

Can't imagine why it would be awkward to attend - there will be plenty of other waitlisters there...

Also, for the people who got waitlisted, do you also have the "Explore" tab on the top of the screen?

waitlist tier 1 - I loved the place but I wouldnt leave nyc for penn...
congratulations to all those accepted!!! and hang in there waitlisters! I believe I will withdraw so maybe it'll help you all.
goodbye UPenn :) I had an awesome time on interview day

One down...jk:laugh:

Best of luck to you.

If they accepted you from the waitlist, would you go?

Do you think seeing the school again at a preview would help with that decision?

Can't imagine why it would be awkward to attend - there will be plenty of other waitlisters there...

I second this exactly.

this is my first post on this site, but i thought i would add that i'm also waitlisted tier 1, invited to penn preview, but my status did not say anything about "one of the first to be considered from the waitlist." it is my 7th waitlist

Congrats to those accepted!!!

everyone who interviewed but didn't get accepted.

I assume they split that in half between tier 1 and tier 2.

Is that a safe assumption? No one last year reported being on Tier 2, and no one this year has either. Is SDN that skewed? Or just that no one is coming out and saying it?

waitlist tier 1 also ... for the people who got the penn second look invite, how did they notify you?

How many different tiers of the waitlist are there? 2 or three? My status page says waitlist tier one but makes no mention of the revisit weekend on that page. What should I make of things?

Is that a safe assumption? No one last year reported being on Tier 2, and no one this year has either. Is SDN that skewed? Or just that no one is coming out and saying it?

I would say it is a combo of both things I highlighted.

I don't think there is a tier 2. I figure the people with the regular tier 1 waitlists (like me) are the "tier 2"

so in the waitlist letter they say that there is NO INDIVIDUAL ranking of the waitlist

but the posts above - of those that are invited to the second look - means that there IS A RANKING!

right?

How many different tiers of the waitlist are there? 2 or three? My status page says waitlist tier one but makes no mention of the revisit weekend on that page. What should I make of things?

They claim 2 tiers. People high up on tier 1 get told that they are towards the top.

What to make of things? That is up to you.

If you really wanted penn you can do what I will do:

light some candles...go to church...and blast "don't stop believing" by journey

so in the waitlist letter they say that there is NO INDIVIDUAL ranking of the waitlist

but the posts above - of those that are invited to the second look - means that there IS A RANKING!

right?

Yeah...I was discussing that with someone on the last page.

Maybe their 2 tier system is just way of saying we have two halves of the tier 1 waitlist..unless someone actually got the tier 2

Maybe their 2 tier system is just way of saying we have two halves of the tier 1 waitlist..unless someone actually got the tier 2

I would say that there actually is a tier 2. But who knows?

Ok guys after stalking the md phd forum, there is in fact a tier 2 waitlist since someone got it this year.

Ok guys after stalking the md phd forum, there is in fact a tier 2 waitlist since someone got it this year.

I feel like a terrible person for saying this, but:

That makes me feel better right now.

Also got the "regular" Waitlist Tier 1 (no invite to Penn Preview and also no mention of being at the top of the list). Personally, it seems like there's too many of us for there to actually be a Tier 2. I think the division between Tier 1 is more likely but who knows?

Anyways, for all you Penn lovers, I'm most likely withdrawing today - although my spot probably isn't very high anyways, I hope it helps at least some. Good luck to those on the WL and congrats to acceptees!

Edit: Didn't see the post above until after I posted - I guess there is a Tier 2.

just to clarify though= some folks were invited to the revisit directly on their status page, correct?

I feel like a terrible person for saying this, but:

That makes me feel better right now.

It doesn't make you terrible. The person likely has other acceptances.

Still, keep in mind, tier 1 could be as large as 200 people.

Why must they make every revisit weekend IN THE WORLD the weekend of April 25th?!?! Argh.

Anyway I was fortunate enough to be accepted but I think I will withdraw...given how many people here are on waitlists and want to go to Penn, it wouldn't seem fair to hold onto my acceptance for any longer than right now.

Good luck to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.