2008-2009 UCLA/PRIME Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
congrats!
i am still hoping :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

This waiting is making me nervous...This program would be so perfect. I hope you all get an interview call today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if they are going in alphabetical order? :idea: probably not but... mindgene, is your last name at the beginning, middle, or end of the alphabet? I am at the end. hehe

My last name is in the middle of the alphabet...

no call for me : (

so 2 people so far that we know of got an interview.

what time did they call you?

I got a call friday 1/30 at around 2 pm. I also live in SF bay area. Good luck everyone...

i hope they didnt make all the calls today...
since the last posted interview invitation was way after 5pm, i am hoping that they didnt have the time to call me :laugh:

Last edited:
or they may have stayed late so that they could have finished the calls, sad.

do you guys think the regular Geffen and PRIME program could be in communication with one another?

Nothing here. Maybe someone can call in tomorrow and update us on whether or not there are more calls to come. I'll probably do it anyway.

This is a very select and specific program, and I'm sure for those of us who didn't get an interview, it was not meant to be. Good luck all the same!

or they may have stayed late so that they could have finished the calls, sad.

do you guys think the regular Geffen and PRIME program could be in communication with one another?

they do communicate. offers can only be made after final approval from the Geffen side of things.

also, PRIME isn't rolling... they won't make decisions until all the interviews are completed - thus, there is no advantage from interviewing on the first day opposed to the last day.

they do communicate. offers can only be made after final approval from the Geffen side of things.

also, PRIME isn't rolling... they won't make decisions until all the interviews are completed - thus, there is no advantage from interviewing on the first day opposed to the last day.

This would make sense, because the friends I know who sent post-interview LOIs to regular Geffen did not receive an interview to UCLA PRIME, though they were good applicants. Does anyone know otherwise?

However, does PRIME and regular Geffen communicate prior to final decisions - in other words, would they have even communicated for the decision to extend an interview?

I had the impression that it was a completely separate admission committee. as in they didn't really communicate. Why would they? maybe only at the end when choosing the final class, but I don't see why they'd communicate about interviews. It'd be hard to coordinate b/c they have to talk to reg. UCLA, UCLA-Drew, UCLA-UCR. But then again, I might be wrong and they do talk.

and PRIME only has 3 interview dates bc it's only 18 people. Does anyone know how the interview is formatted? earlier someone mentioned mini-panals, what does that mean? how many people? and how long is it?

If they're going to communicate, why wouldn't they have PRIME as a sub-app on the UCLA secondary like the other UCs? I was under the impression that meant that UCLA PRIME was the only one who didn't consult the main program.

The majority of PRIME IS Geffen. So all the applicants chosen by PRIME are therefore chosen by Geffen. I read somewhere on their website that applying to PRIME doesn't have any effect on your main Geffen app or vice versa. For the guy whose friends interviewed at Geffen and not PRIME, maybe they didn't fit the mission of PRIME?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview too for UCLA PRIME..

MMI - Multiple Mini Interviews

so yeah, stations n stuff

What exactly does that mean? Does anyone know how many interviews? or the length? and who does the interviewing (faculty/students?)?

anyone get an email about being placed on hold from prime earlier today?

anyone get an email about being placed on hold from prime earlier today?

yes, i did.
that is pretty much the kiss of death :(
i don't think any one will pass out the opportunity to interview at UCLA.

sounds like everyone who was not given an interview was put on "hold"...

was there anyone NOT put on hold?

hang in there guys

for those that received interview invites, if you don't mind, what are your stats?

Does anyone know if they offer an overnight student host?

I dont think stats are as important for this type of program, as long as they're decent/average. I think they'd be more concerned with getting people who are committed to serving the underserved. I bet ECs (dedication to/understanding of healthcare for those who lack it the most) are the determining factor for interviews/acceptances.

Hey,

What kinds of articles/books are you all reading up on to prepare for the interviews? Just curious...

Does anyone know which address we have to have our transcripts sent to?

Now that Interviews are all done. Does anyone know when they are supposed to make decisions??

they will begin decision making/announcing in mid april. good luck.

Just got the call - UCLA Westwood PRIME offer!!!! SOOOO excited! :laugh:

I got the call from "Hy" Doyle - best of luck to those waiting :) I had gotten into UCLA geffen already but I knew a long time ago that I would only go if I got into PRIME - the program sounds incredible

I just called the PRIME admissions office and was told that decisions are being sent out. Dr. Doyle is calling the accepted group of people. The lady also asked my name and I guess I was not one of the accepted people, because she told me that I should know either way by april 15th.

Congrats irishchap07!!!

I got the call from "Hy" Doyle - best of luck to those waiting :) I had gotten into UCLA geffen already but I knew a long time ago that I would only go if I got into PRIME - the program sounds incredible

Did anyone else get called? I wonder if maybe irish got called early because his application had already been approved and processed by Geffen -- the rest of us have to wait until Geffen gives the green light for an official acceptance to the program...

Or maybe that's just some wishful thinking on my part! :rolleyes:

Hello Everyone,
I called the PRIME office and asked if everyone had been called or if it was a process? They said that acceptances are a process and people can receive phone calls up until April 15th

Good Luck to everyone!:)

Did anyone else get called? I wonder if maybe irish got called early because his application had already been approved and processed by Geffen -- the rest of us have to wait until Geffen gives the green light for an official acceptance to the program...

Or maybe that's just some wishful thinking on my part! :rolleyes:

Didn't they say that the other programs (UCR and Drew) choose before Westwood? Maybe early acceptances only listed Westwood and therefore didn't have to go through the roundabout way?

Also wishful thinking probably...

Its so scary..... the date gets closer and closer.

Did anyone else who interviewed have difficulty checking on their status online?? I just checked for an update on my status and it says No Matching records found or incomplete data field! .... Check back later. is anyone else experiencing this problem?? I hope so, b/c otherwise Im taking it as a bad sign :(.... I really hope its just a problem with the site because I REALLLY REALLY want to be accepted to this program.

Regardless, I know that all of us who were selected to interview had similar interests and passion to become leaders in medicine in order to help disadvantaged communities. Hopefully, we all stick with our plans to help these communities and become leaders no matter where we all get accepted to.

Remember... SI SE PUEDE!!

God bless

Did anyone else who interviewed have difficulty checking on their status online?? I just checked for an update on my status and it says No Matching records found or incomplete data field! .... Check back later. is anyone else experiencing this problem?? I hope so, b/c otherwise Im taking it as a bad sign :(.... I really hope its just a problem with the site because I REALLLY REALLY want to be accepted to this program.

Regardless, I know that all of us who were selected to interview had similar interests and passion to become leaders in medicine in order to help disadvantaged communities. Hopefully, we all stick with our plans to help these communities and become leaders no matter where we all get accepted to.

Remember... SI SE PUEDE!!

God bless

Yeah mine is doing that too. Maybe they are updating it?! Although "letter sent" would not be good news

Any more news or updates? My status page is still blank... no phone call...

Any more news or updates? My status page is still blank... no phone call...

Nothing here. However, my page is back to normal but it's blank where it says "Final Decision" so thats good news so far ( i hope it is :xf:)

if anyone has any updates, please let us know.

GOOD LUCK!

I am dying here!!! Sitting on pins and needles.

But...it seems like about 1/8 of the PRIME interviewees are on here (I think around 10 posted they had interviews and we know they interviewed 80). So even if they had given out 10 Westwood acceptances, we would still have only heard from 1 person...

Maybe they are all out

not sure if this helps, but i got in also... received the phone call from dr. doyle this past monday.

not sure if this helps, but i got in also... received the phone call from dr. doyle this past monday.

CONGRATULATIONS!! :thumbup:

Just curious, Where did you get accepted to (westwood, drew, UCR)? are you going to accept their offer? Thanks

So I just called UCLA Prime office and the person who I spoke to said they are currently calling people to accept them.......

:eek: :eek:

So I just called UCLA Prime office and the person who I spoke to said they are currently calling people to accept them.......

:eek: :eek:

Meaning calling all accepted people today? Or is this still the semi-rolling calls through April 15?

Ugh this is a lost cause. I need to stop checking this thread :(

Well I was right, all hope WAS lost. I called the admissions office this morning and was told that all 18 acceptances have been given out. Everyone who didn't get a call is now on the "waitlist". I couldn't really tell if it's ranked or not...in any case if it is ranked then we won't know where we stand on the list.

She said that last year 4 people came off the waitlist...

Well I was right, all hope WAS lost. I called the admissions office this morning and was told that all 18 acceptances have been given out. Everyone who didn't get a call is now on the "waitlist". I couldn't really tell if it's ranked or not...in any case if it is ranked then we won't know where we stand on the list.

What a bummer. I think i am going to mope around all day now.:( I find it highly unlikely that anyone will decline their acceptance to this program. THanks for the info. Best of luck with others schools.

Bummer, thank you for posting. I wonder if I will ever be able to find out how I "did" on that MMI and to what extent it played a role in final admissions decisions. :rolleyes:

Congrats to all of those accepted!

All hope was NOT Lost after all. I just got accepted late this week. Plus, LA LAkers won a championship.. How much better could my week get!! I feel so blessed:):).

Don't ever stop believing!

Congratulations CeeLos! I'm jealous but happy for you :) :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.