2020-2021 UCLA Prime

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Prompt from last year: "What is the most important social issue confronting the health of disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue?"

How do we all feel about semi-"political" answers here? I feel like its generic to just talk about access to care and individual stuff, so I'm thinking about diving more into the systemic discrimination and addressing huge picture socioeconomic factors and such, but since that can be a bit of a radical political opinion, I don't want to overdo it... would love to know your opinions!

Does anybody know if I should mark myself as a re-applicant if I applied in the past to UCLA MD (not PRIME) but this time I am applying to the PRIME program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people know if UCLA-Prime has the 512 MCAT cutoff?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
has anyone gotten the secondary? I'm starting to get a bit worried....

Does anyone know what happens with you're rejected from PRIME, but want to be considered for the regular UCLA MD program? Does your application go into the regular MD pile after you're rejected, putting you at a disadvantage (especially if you're rejected after the interview) or do both committees review your application together?

Does anyone know what happens with you're rejected from PRIME, but want to be considered for the regular UCLA MD program? Does your application go into the regular MD pile after you're rejected, putting you at a disadvantage (especially if you're rejected after the interview) or do both committees review your application together?
I've heard conflicting things. What you mentioned is the prevailing narrative, but I've also heard that you have to get into MD and PRIME independently to actually be extended an offer and I'm assuming those deliberations happen concurrently?

Hey everyone! I'm super interested in applying to PRIME, and I'm like halfway through the PRIME specific secondary, but, in probing deeper on their website, it seems like they really value experience in underserved communities in California and the US. However, most of my work with underserved communities has been international with some in NYC. Do you think it still makes sense to apply?

Anyone else regret applying to PRIME? I feel like I had a solid UCLA secondary (felt confident in every one of my response + good stats), but I feel like I'm screwing myself over with the PRIME interview schedule. Looking back, I got caught up with the 'marketing' as I have extensive longitudinal service experience with disadvantaged populations, but I realize I don't believe I need PRIME to support disadvantaged communities.

Anyone else regret applying to PRIME? I feel like I had a solid UCLA secondary (felt confident in every one of my response + good stats), but I feel like I'm screwing myself over with the PRIME interview schedule. Looking back, I got caught up with the 'marketing' as I have extensive longitudinal service experience with disadvantaged populations, but I realize I don't believe I need PRIME to support disadvantaged communities.

Interesting because I feel the opposite. I feel UCLA would have been confused if I didn't apply PRIME considering my extensive experience with underserved communities.

It definitely sucks they won't extend IIs until October/November though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting because I feel the opposite. I feel UCLA would have been confused if I didn't apply PRIME considering my extensive experience with underserved communities.
I felt the same way, but I also know many current UCLA med student from my undergrad school who also have extensively worked with underserved communities but didn't apply to PRIME. No one questioned their intentions. I also don't think schools will question why you didn't apply to PRIME because PRIME isn't just for serving the underserved, it's a dual degree program and a simple 'I don't want to get a second degree' is a legit argument against PRIME. One of my friends (URM, disadvantaged) didn't want to be saddled with more school and debt and chose not to do it.

It definitely sucks they won't extend IIs until October/November though.
Has anyone received a secondary yet?

Can someone clarify for me? Is there a separate secondary for Prime? I saw in the past thread there was a completely different one. However, I just did the Prime tab on the Geffen one. I am unsure what the heck is going on lol.

Can someone clarify for me? Is there a separate secondary for Prime? I saw in the past thread there was a completely different one. However, I just did the Prime tab on the Geffen one. I am unsure what the heck is going on lol.
I did that too, I'm pretty sure we are fine and just wait til Nov or whenever they decide to reply to prime peeps!

I did that too, I'm pretty sure we are fine and just wait til Nov or whenever they decide to reply to prime peeps!
You are right! I hope it’s sooner rather than later, but I’m over here being impatient lol. I did ask the office what dates interviews were being held. This was their reply:

Thank you for your email. During this application cycle the PRIME-LA interviews are scheduled for December 5th, December 6th and January 9th.

Best,

PRIME-LA

Reactions: 1 users
Guessing we'll hear by mid-Nov then?
That is my guess, at least for the first and second round of interviews. And then I feel like the January date would be for people that applied later in the cycle, so October or November.

+1. Getting anxious over the R-wave that's happening today. I wish PRIME applicants heard back sooner...

Wait... sorry, this might be a dumb question, but what was this rejection wave? Was it for applicants of PRIME or just DGSOM? Or is it something completely different?

Wait... sorry, this might be a dumb question, but what was this rejection wave? Was it for applicants of PRIME or just DGSOM? Or is it something completely different?
DGSOM. Most likely we won’t be hearing anything till the middle of November about prime.

I looked at the FAQ on the UCLA website. It said that the II would be extended in late October to early November. So, I would assume if we haven't heard anything close to thanksgiving, we won't be selected for Prime. However, I am not sure if Prime slows down your DGSOM application. It says both schools evaluate your app before you are offered a Prime interview.

Just received a PRIME-LA II!! Complete 8/1. Ecstatic!

Reactions: 2 users
So grateful to have received an II this evening! Complete 8/12, IS ORM, LizzyM 67, both GPAs below 25th percentile. Don't give up hope! :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
congrats! do all the interviews come out at once?

I am so happy for all of you.

• Care
congrats! do all the interviews come out at once?

Not entirely sure. In the email I got, the deadline to reply with which interview day you wanted was 11/12 (Thursday). I'm thinking that could mean they will extend more IIs if some people don't respond/decline the II.

Not entirely sure. In the email I got, the deadline to reply with which interview day you wanted was 11/12 (Thursday). I'm thinking that could mean they will extend more IIs if some people don't respond/decline the II.
Ohhh well my anxiety is through the roof. What time did the email come?

• Care
Ohhh well my anxiety is through the roof. What time did the email come?
I’m not sure if they would release them all in one. However, try to not worry. If you are going to get one (I’m in the same boat), we will.

not that much out there but from previous years it sounds like II go out around the same time . getting less hopeful but still holding onto hope :scared: prime would be a dream come true

• Care
not that much out there but from previous years it sounds like II go out around the same time . getting less hopeful but still holding onto hope :scared: prime would be a dream come true
Yeah, unfortunately it does look like they all come out on the same day. Good run guys. Apparently you’ll get an email that you are moved back over to the DGSOM pool way later.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Care
+1 II, IS, URM, complete 10/9, someone pinch me I must be dreaming!

• Love
+1 II, IS, URM, complete 10/9, someone pinch me I must be dreaming!
Im guessing you got it around the same time as the others? Be super proud of yourself. :)

I think we should remember that this is a unique year and they may be doing things differently. Don’t lose hope!!

• Care
also did anyone else get the your application is still under review email?

also did anyone else get the your application is still under review email?

Nothing over here! Did you get an email from PRIME? If so, what did it say?

Maybe it's time for me to face the truth. :( *cries haha

Last edited:
Damn.

just to add onto those that also didn't receive a II, someone from a couple of years ago reported a waitlist for a II at the same time that they informed people that they were being moved to DGSOM only app.

Hard to know with such a small pool of applicants but definitely not great news for those of us who have not heard anything.

So grateful to have received an II this evening! Complete 8/12, IS ORM, LizzyM 67, both GPAs below 25th percentile. Don't give up hope! :)
did you already interview with Geffen as well ? Just wondering if Geffen interviews before PRIME. Thanks!

Nothing over here! Did you get an email from PRIME? If so, what did it say?

Maybe it's time for me to face the truth. :( *cries haha
sorry I was not clear at all. I got that email a month ago. I thought maybe i had been passed over from PRIME and regular UCLA had sent me that email but that theory is not supported haha

I am a little heartbroken over this program. maybe they will send out more ii ?