2023-2024 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @gobearsssss for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 UCLA (Geffen) Secondary Prompts

Please note that they are strict on the prompt completion of the secondary essays: Fifteen days from the invitation to complete the Secondary application.

1) At the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, students are provided with curriculum and experiences enabling them to become an "Outstanding Physician, AND...," dedicating themselves to important societal missions. What missions do you want to embrace? What have you done toward your missions? (800 characters)

2) Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".

A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)

B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)

C-Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)

3) Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as other relevant information. (800 characters)

4) Did you experience or are you anticipating time between graduating from college and matriculating into medical school?
(If yes) Describe the activities in which you participated or are planning to participate. Examples include additional schooling, employment, or caring for a loved one.

5) Do you identify as being part of a group that has been marginalized (examples include, but are not limited to, LGBTQIA, disabilities, federally recognized tribe) in terms of access to education or healthcare?
(If yes) Describe how this inequity has impacted you or your community and how educational disparity, health disparity and/or marginalization has impacted you and your community. (800 characters)
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Essay Prompts for PRIME-LA (2000 characters)
1. What is the most important social issue confronting the health of marginalized and under-resourced communities? Describe the first steps you would take to address this issue.

2. In what way will graduating from PRIME-LA and obtaining a master's degree enhance your career in health care or health services for marginalized and under-resourced communities? (If you are considering a specific master’s degree (e.g., MPP, MPH, MBA, etc.), please incorporate your graduate degree plans or aspirations into your answer)

3. Describe how your experiences demonstrate your understanding of, and commitment to, marginalized and under-resourced communities.

4. What are your greatest strengths and your greatest challenges as you approach medical school?

5. Describe your most memorable experience as it relates to working with marginalized and under-resourced populations.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of California Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I take PREVIEW in June (score release July 18) will it delay receiving a secondary? In other words does UCLA require it to move forward (like MCAT, etc). I am planning on submitting May 30.

Reactions: 1 user
If I take PREVIEW in June (score release July 18) will it delay receiving a secondary? In other words does UCLA require it to move forward (like MCAT, etc). I am planning on submitting May 30.
I could be wrong, but from this document it seems like you don’t need to take it for a secondary. Specifically, the existence of the FAQ about taking it even if you already have a secondary implies that you can receive a secondary regardless. Their answer on dates also says that scores will be released July-October, indicating July is the typical earliest month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong, but from this document it seems like you don’t need to take it for a secondary. Specifically, the existence of the FAQ about taking it even if you already have a secondary implies that you can receive a secondary regardless. Their answer on dates also says that scores will be released July-October, indicating July is the typical earliest month.
I saw this doc, but its from last year when the first ever preview scores to exist came out in July. Now they've been out for other dates for the new cycle(May, June, etc.). Im supposed to take it this week but I want to push it back because my mcat is a few days later

Let us know. I am sure everyone is curious about this. For me, it is the ONLY school I am applying to that requires this additional hoop of ANOTHER test. ARGH. So if I don't get an interview, I am not wanting to waste more time and money on it if at all possible. But if they require it for a specific stage of the app to move forward, I would love to know when.

@kath00 same here. I emailed them and they said "we need the score to fully review your application", which I presume to mean before interviews. From there I just took it in may to be safe

Reactions: 2 users
anyone know how. much UCLA values urm? the stats are on the lower side for a top med school so I was wondering if they value URM a lot more because of being in LA and is it only Californians URM they value ? coming from a texas resident that is URM

anyone know how. much UCLA values urm? the stats are on the lower side for a top med school so I was wondering if they value URM a lot more because of being in LA and is it only Californians URM they value ? coming from a texas resident that is URM
Typically, yes, they value URM. They are also more relaxed when it comes to state residency requirements. If you apply make sure to take PREview as it is required for UCLA.

Typically, yes, they value URM. They are also more relaxed when it comes to state residency requirements. If you apply make sure to take PREview as it is required for UCLA.
is preview the same as casper?

Is it even worth it to apply with a 503 MCAT with 120 CARS if I am in-state? Overall great application with a first and second author papers in a good journal, but I have a low MCAT. When I look on MSAR, it says their 10th percentile is a 503 and 25th percentile is 506 with a 10th percentile of 123.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked at the MCAT MSAR data? It states some students got accepted with 503 score ranges. Do you know more about the acceptance process, or are you just a student like me trying to figure it all out?
No one here can tell you what goes on inside the admissions room. What we can tell you is that based on the data presented in MSAR, you have a low chance of being admitted given your MCAT score. The only way to find out for sure is to apply.

Got my preview score back and it went terribly lol (4/9), anyone know how much UCLA values it? Just trying to plan my secondary approach and if they heavily value it I might push them toward the end since I have a weak chance anyway.

Got my preview score back and it went terribly lol (4/9), anyone know how much UCLA values it? Just trying to plan my secondary approach and if they heavily value it I might push them toward the end since I have a weak chance anyway.
It's not a terrible score, it's the average score students get.
See this AAMC Preview document, page 7 AAMC Preview

Is it even worth it to apply with a 503 MCAT with 120 CARS if I am in-state? Overall great application with a first and second author papers in a good journal, but I have a low MCAT. When I look on MSAR, it says their 10th percentile is a 503 and 25th percentile is 506 with a 10th percentile of 123.
Nope.

Current student here. Wishing the best for y'all this cycle! Feel free to drop questions below or message me, esp as secondaries come out next month.

Reactions: 2 users
Current student here. Wishing the best for y'all this cycle! Feel free to drop questions below or message me, esp as secondaries come out next month.
how important are preview scores?

Reactions: 1 users
do you feel like ucla targets a particular type of student or looks for certain themes amongst the responses?

Anyone receive secondaries yet? Saw someone on Reddit say they got one!

do you feel like ucla targets a particular type of student or looks for certain themes amongst the responses?
Not a particular type of student, but definitely leadership and advocacy. What shape or form this shows up in your application is variable and different for each person!

I think the person said they got one for Drew and from my understanding that's different than Geffen? unsure though!
They just said UCLA but you might be right that it was Drew! I just thought it was too early since they pre-screen but who knows lol

They just said UCLA but you might be right that it was Drew! I just thought it was too early since they pre-screen but who knows lol
Charles R Drew is a separate med school and separate application from UCLA starting this year.

App received email at 6/2 5am EST

Does anyone know if LORs are part of the pre-secondary screen? Do we need to have them sent now?

Does anyone know what the word / character counts were last year for the PRIME-LA program?

For the secondary prompt that asks you to describe the most important volunteer, leadership/entrepreneurial/creative, and research experiences that show that you are invested in the mission you mentioned in your answer to the prompt right before. Is it okay if one of my experiences fulfills both of these sections? For example, I was part of an undergraduate Latino club which I wanted to write down for leadership. But I also volunteered a lot with underserved Latino communities through the club. Would it be fine to use this same experience to answer the leadership and volunteer section considering that they both show my commitment to my mission? Thanks!

I still haven't gotten the email saying that my application was received and I submitted on the first day the application opened. Is this a red flag/does it mean I'm getting screened out pre-secondary?

I still haven't gotten the email saying that my application was received and I submitted on the first day the application opened. Is this a red flag/does it mean I'm getting screened out pre-secondary?
No almost definitely not. The application received email said "should you be invited to submit a secondary" so it doesn't mean anything about whether or not you're getting a secondary or not. UCLA might just be releasing their application received invites in batches. Similarly, there's a few schools with no secondary screens that others have received secondaries from but I have not for whatever reason. Secondary and email transmission just seems to be weird.

Sorry if this was addressed, for those of you who got secondaries already, did you get your PREVIEW score already? Do you need that to get a secondary? Or just for the interview (or even just the final decision)?

• Okay...
I'm prewriting and for the prompt: "Do you identify as being part of a group that has been marginalized (examples include, but are not limited to, LGBTQIA, disabilities, federally recognized tribe) in terms of access to education or healthcare? (Yes/No)" I am a lesbian, but I don't feel that it has impacted my own access to education or healthcare. Should I still write about it generally in terms of the whole community?

can someone please post and pin the secondary questions at the top? Thank you!

No secondaries yet? I'm surprised, it's almost mid july ˙◠˙