2022-2023 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @flyon_littlewing9587 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 UCLA (Geffen) Secondary Essay Prompts Please note that they are strict on the prompt completion of the secondary essays: Fifteen days from the invitation to complete the Secondary application.

1) At the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, students are provided with curriculum and experiences enabling them to become an "Outstanding Physician, AND...," dedicating themselves to important societal missions. What missions do you want to embrace? What have you done toward your missions? (800 characters)

2) Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".
A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)

B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)

C-Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)

3) Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as other relevant information. (800 characters)

4) Did you experience or are you anticipating time between graduating from college and matriculating into medical school? If yes; Describe the activities in which you participated or are planning to participate. Examples include additional schooling, employment, or caring for a loved one.(800 characters)

5) Do you identify as being part of a group that has been marginalized (examples include, but are not limited to, LGBTQIA, disabilities, federally recognized tribe) in terms of access to education or healthcare? If yes; Describe how this inequity has impacted you or your community and how educational disparity, health disparity and/or marginalization has impacted you and your community. (800 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of California Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Incoming CDU/UCLA student here, this thread was super helpful to me when I applied this past cycle. I'm happy to answer any questions, if I can. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Received acknowledgment of app submission

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming CDU/UCLA student here, this thread was super helpful to me when I applied this past cycle. I'm happy to answer any questions, if I can. Good luck everyone!
Hi Thank for making yourself available!

Do you know if there are any objective measures (certain GPA/MCAT combination) for Geffen Scholarship?

Also received acknowledgment of primary app. Interestingly enough, I got a secondary from them last cycle about an hour after that email but not this cycle :(

Hi Thank for making yourself available!

Do you know if there are any objective measures (certain GPA/MCAT combination) for Geffen Scholarship?
No worries! To my knowledge, there are not any explicit requirements for the Geffen Scholarship. Thinking about the folks in my class who received Geffens, we all have different applicant profiles (which is fantastic imho).

We were discussing merit scholarships on last year's thread, and I've copied my comment below. Disclaimer: it was before I knew I was a recipient, but I still stand by it 😊
My understanding of merit scholarships is that they are used to convince applicants to attend UCLA over other institutions. Folks who would be eligible for need-based aid at UCLA are also eligible for aid at other schools; thus, in order to compete with said other schools, UCLA would need to offer merit scholarships. This isn't to say that Geffen recipients always have other offers, but rather that the scholarship committee recognizes them as extremely desirable and competitive applicants.

Since we're not on the scholarship committee, we don't know what led them to that conclusion. Thus, there's not a lot of value in trying to extrapolate your or anyone else's likelihood of receiving a merit scholarship. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and congratulate [redacted] and [redacted] for being absolute rockstars and getting that coin 🥳🤩

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else been verified but not received acknowledgment of primary being received?

Reactions: 2 users
Acknowledgment of primary received 2:05am PDT. IS

Members don't see this ad :)
verification complete 6/15
Acknowledgment of primary received 6/25 5am

i am worried because i didn't sign up for the PREview until late , so I am taking it July 14th which means that UCLA will get it Aug 14th-ish , so if i submit my secondaries before that (if i get offered them) then will that mean they wont look at my whole application until Aug14th??
(LM 72.5, OOS)

i am worried because i didn't sign up for the PREview until late , so I am taking it July 14th which means that UCLA will get it Aug 14th-ish , so if i submit my secondaries before that (if i get offered them) then will that mean they wont look at my whole application until Aug14th??
(LM 72.5, OOS)
same concern here!

secondary received! IS

Here are prompts:

1)At the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, students are provided with curriculum and experiences enabling them to become an "Outstanding Physician, AND...," dedicating themselves to important societal missions. What missions do you want to embrace? What have you done toward your missions? (800 characters)

2)
Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".
A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)

B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)

C-Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)

3) Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as other relevant information. (800 characters)

@wysdoc

secondary received! IS

Here are prompts:

1)At the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, students are provided with curriculum and experiences enabling them to become an "Outstanding Physician, AND...," dedicating themselves to important societal missions. What missions do you want to embrace? What have you done toward your missions? (800 characters)

2)
Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".

@wysdoc
want to add a couple more:

Did you experience or are you anticipating time between graduating from college and matriculating into medical school? If yes; Describe the activities in which you participated or are planning to participate. Examples include additional schooling, employment, or caring for a loved one.(800 characters)

Do you identify as being part of a group that has been marginalized (examples include, but are not limited to, LGBTQIA, disabilities, federally recognized tribe) in terms of access to education or healthcare? If yes; Describe how this inequity has impacted you or your community and how educational disparity, health disparity and/or marginalization has impacted you and your community. (800 characters)

@wysdoc

want to add a couple more:

Did you experience or are you anticipating time between graduating from college and matriculating into medical school? If yes; Describe the activities in which you participated or are planning to participate. Examples include additional schooling, employment, or caring for a loved one.(800 characters)

Do you identify as being part of a group that has been marginalized (examples include, but are not limited to, LGBTQIA, disabilities, federally recognized tribe) in terms of access to education or healthcare? If yes; Describe how this inequity has impacted you or your community and how educational disparity, health disparity and/or marginalization has impacted you and your community. (800 characters)

@wysdoc
haha did you find any more? This looks like enough to me!

• Haha
Did anybody else not get a secondary yet?

Reactions: 4 users
I saw somewhere that they screen for mcat under 512. Does anyone know if that's still the case?

I'm just starting on this year's secondary. For the COVID question, do y'all think it's ok if I discuss at least one positive that came out of the pandemic, along with the negative impacts? Or do you think they want us to focus on only the negative impacts?

edit: also, for the prompt asking about our most meaningful volunteer work, can we essentially elaborate on one of our most meaningful experiences from our primary?

Last edited:
Is anyone dropping UCLA from their school list because of the required PREview exam?

Is anyone dropping UCLA from their school list because of the required PREview exam?

$100 and 90 minutes or so is such a small price to pay in the grand scheme of this entire process. The chances of being admitted to any one school are so low, but I'd hate myself if I got into no other schools and had to think about what might have been with the two schools I sent my primary to that require PREview. Basically, I'm trying to go all out this one application cycle and hope to never have to do it again.

$100 and 90 minutes or so is such a small price to pay in the grand scheme of this entire process. The chances of being admitted to any one school are so low, but I'd hate myself if I got into no other schools and had to think about what might have been with the two schools I sent my primary to that require PREview. Basically, I'm trying to go all out this one application cycle and hope to never have to do it again.
Yeah, that's fair; it's just that it's a little frustrating when there are so many expensive things as part of the process. Only UCLA in my school list requires the PREview exam, so I'm leaning towards just dropping it.

Yeah, that's fair; it's just that it's a little frustrating when there are so many expensive things as part of the process. Only UCLA in my school list requires the PREview exam, so I'm leaning towards just dropping it.

I definitely feel you. You'll pretty much end up paying the cost of two secondaries to apply to UCLA. I almost dropped UCLA as well because of PREview, but gave in. I cannot blame anyone for deciding to drop a school requiring the exam, or saying screw it and just taking it.

Yes... I didn't find out until like last week and couldn't stand the thought of taking another entrance exam that is $$$

So is the PReview exam to be able to get a secondary or is that mainly used for admissions.

I haven't had volunteering experience since college year, and I have been a scribe + clinical research during gap year. Is this a "red flag" for them?

Feels like more recent volunteering would make strong essay.

It’s needed for your app to be complete. But you don’t need it to receive a secondary
Are you positive about that? According to MSAR, "PREview must be completed prior to interview day" which leads me to believe that your app will be reviewed/complete w/o PREview but if invited to interview, you can't select a date until after you've taken the exam.

anyone else received a acknowledgement of the primary app like 6 days ago but still hasn't received a secondary?

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Should I use a different scholarly project if my "most scholarly project" is one of my most meaningful experiences? I suppose I could go into deeper detail about for the secondary prompt.

Any older non-traditional applicants here who haven't been in a research/thesis/scholarly project situation? Unsure of how I'll answer this prompt.

Should I use a different scholarly project if my "most scholarly project" is one of my most meaningful experiences? I suppose I could go into deeper detail about for the secondary prompt.

What im doing is just going into deeper detail into my research (which was also one of my three MMEs). And at the end I briefly mentioned advisor, hours, and dates in a sentence as short as possible.

Anybody still hasn't received secondary? Maybe they hate me.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Anybody still hasn't received secondary? Maybe they hate me.
haha im sure its just taking longer than usual. I received acknowledgement of my primary 8 days ago and I still haven't received a secondary invite

• Care
ahhh just received the secondary at 7:21am PST (in-state)