2020-2021 UCLA Prime

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry I was not clear at all. I got that email a month ago. I thought maybe i had been passed over from PRIME and regular UCLA had sent me that email but that theory is not supported haha

I am a little heartbroken over this program. maybe they will send out more ii ?
I wouldn't give up quite yet. I bet they extend II's for people that deny the interview tomorrow. I'm not sure who would deny this interview lol, but I hope a few people do.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know what the post-II acceptance looks like for PRIME? I've heard its competitive but curious.

Well I just received a normal II for DGSOM (received PRIME-LA last week). A bit confusing but I guess it confirms that PRIME and regular-MD are considered completely separate. Either way - super excited that my alum is showing me some love.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just received a normal II for DGSOM (received PRIME-LA last week). A bit confusing but I guess it confirms that PRIME and regular-MD are considered completely separate. Either way - super excited that my alum is showing me some love.
Congrats!!! And just to add to that, I did NOT receive PRIME last week but got the MD II today, so there is still hope! :)

Congrats!!! And just to add to that, I did NOT receive PRIME last week but got the MD II today, so there is still hope! :)
Congratulations! I didn't realize there was any hope for regular-MD Geffen this late so very excited! Which interview date did you pick?

Amazon congrats! I wonder if not being rejected is good news or if that R can come any minute

super confusing process but it’s not looking hot for me

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! I didn't realize there was any hope for regular-MD Geffen this late so very excited! Which interview date did you pick?
Thank you and same! I scheduled for 12/7, see ya there!
Amazon congrats! I wonder if not being rejected is good news or if that R can come any minute

Thank you! All I know is that this process is super weird and it's impossible to know what will happen. all we can do is take it one day at a time!

I am in the same boat, but still holding out for more IIs. Even if its not from California. BTW i love your user pic, it makes me happy every time I see it.

• Love
Hi all,

Wanted to share an update— I received an II for regular DGSOM today. Still in shock! Was quite heartbroken last week over not hearing from PRIME and was sure that I had no chance w DGSOM. I also received a pre-II rejection from Keck yday, so when I got the email from DGSOM, I figured it was another rejection. OOS applicant.

This cycle has been an emotional rollercoaster with many rough days, but there’s still hope everyone!!!! It’s not over until it’s over. Crossing my fingers for all of us going through this process. :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I am in the same boat, but still holding out for more IIs. Even if its not from California. BTW i love your user pic, it makes me happy every time I see it.
thank you! the dog is supposed to be anon cause he's hiding behind the bread - im v proud of this

bestt of luck to you

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I looked at the FAQ on the UCLA website. It said that the II would be extended in late October to early November. So, I would assume if we haven't heard anything close to thanksgiving, we won't be selected for Prime. However, I am not sure if Prime slows down your DGSOM application. It says both schools evaluate your app before you are offered a Prime interview.
PRIME-LA and DGSOM review their applicants separately and on their own timelines. Think of them as separate entities during the interview process. Who they decide to invite to interview will not be disclosed to the other program nor will it be affected by applying to both or one or the other.

I felt the same way, but I also know many current UCLA med student from my undergrad school who also have extensively worked with underserved communities but didn't apply to PRIME. No one questioned their intentions. I also don't think schools will question why you didn't apply to PRIME because PRIME isn't just for serving the underserved, it's a dual degree program and a simple 'I don't want to get a second degree' is a legit argument against PRIME. One of my friends (URM, disadvantaged) didn't want to be saddled with more school and debt and chose not to do it.
Many people in my current cohort have great experience working with underserved communities and are not in PRIME-LA. No one will question why they didn't apply to PRIME. It is true, its a dual degree program so its more schooling. Those who decide to join PRIME-LA both work with underserved communities and want to get a masters. DGSOM have a wide range of students from different backgrounds and different experiences they take in. Research heavy students to students with global health lens to students who like to work with marginalized communities.

sorry I was not clear at all. I got that email a month ago. I thought maybe i had been passed over from PRIME and regular UCLA had sent me that email but that theory is not supported haha

I am a little heartbroken over this program. maybe they will send out more ii ?
Hello -- there is no pass over between the two programs. They are separate -- PRIME-LA and DGSOM screen their applicants separately and determine interview invitation and rejections on their own terms, unrelated to each other during this part of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else regret applying to PRIME? I feel like I had a solid UCLA secondary (felt confident in every one of my response + good stats), but I feel like I'm screwing myself over with the PRIME interview schedule. Looking back, I got caught up with the 'marketing' as I have extensive longitudinal service experience with disadvantaged populations, but I realize I don't believe I need PRIME to support disadvantaged communities.
If you're regret applying to PRIME is because you think there's some influence over your DGSOM application, then fear not. They're separate. Applying to one or the other or both won't affect their decision in interview invites

Does anyone know what happens with you're rejected from PRIME, but want to be considered for the regular UCLA MD program? Does your application go into the regular MD pile after you're rejected, putting you at a disadvantage (especially if you're rejected after the interview) or do both committees review your application together?
Hello! I can confirm that they are separate entities when it comes to interview invites.
If you are rejected to PRIME, it has no impact on whether you are considered for regular DGSOM. In fact they don't know if you applied to one program or the other.
They both consider their applicants on their own timeline, so you don't get put into a pile after rejection. You are considered individually by each program.

Hi friends, I interviewed for Prime earlier this month, but earlier today I got a Vita notification that DGSOM selected me and has access to my virtual interview. I know DGSOM asks for VITA and Prime doesn’t, but I haven’t gotten an II for DGSOM. Kinda confused & wondering if it’s just a fluke in the system?

Hi friends, I interviewed for Prime earlier this month, but earlier today I got a Vita notification that DGSOM selected me and has access to my virtual interview. I know DGSOM asks for VITA and Prime doesn’t, but I haven’t gotten an II for DGSOM. Kinda confused & wondering if it’s just a fluke in the system?
Hi! congrats on the prime interview. I know you did well and will be rooting for you (gotta have some happiness in the process). You can be selected to interview at both :). Im hoping where I wasn't selected for a prime interview, I will be for a geffen. I'd say there isnt many invites left thought because they stop sending II supposedly in December? And then they interview through Jan

Hi all! I was curious if anyone who didn’t receive an interview for either prime or regular admissions have been rejected. My app seems to still be in limbo without any rejections, quite curious if anyone else is in the same boat. Good luck for those interviewing on Jan 9th for Prime. Be loud and proud, you got this.🤝

Hi all! I was curious if anyone who didn’t receive an interview for either prime or regular admissions have been rejected. My app seems to still be in limbo without any rejections, quite curious if anyone else is in the same boat. Good luck for those interviewing on Jan 9th for Prime. Be loud and proud, you got this.🤝
+1 still in limbo and wondering the same thing! UCLA’s website says they’re extending interviews through December, so I’m expecting a rejection fairly soon. :(

I can't remember what the PRIME-LA team said about when we hear back - does anyone who interviewed remember what they told you? I interviewed in early Jan.

Anymore updates? At this point, I think I can safely assume I didn't get in, but the PRIME team hasn't sent out any confirmations. Has anyone received news yet?

Anymore updates? At this point, I think I can safely assume I didn't get in, but the PRIME team hasn't sent out any confirmations. Has anyone received news yet?
I believe they said we’d hear back mid February, so any time now.

Calls are going out! I received a call about an hour ago. In-State. Good luck everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations! Did anyone else hear back?

Waitlisted today at around 5pm via Email.

Does anybody know how much UCLA PRIME's WL moves historically? Thanks.

• Care
Waitlisted today at around 5pm via Email.

Does anybody know how much UCLA PRIME's WL moves historically? Thanks.
+1 for the waitlist.

On my interview day they said that they only offer as many acceptances as they have seats available, and usually around 6 people turn down their admissions offers every year.

+1 for the waitlist.

On my interview day they said that they only offer as many acceptances as they have seats available, and usually around 6 people turn down their admissions offers every year.
Thank you for this information. Great to know. Best of luck to you!

Has anyone heard if they’ve sent out post interview rejections or is anyone else still waiting to hear back?

Has anyone heard if they’ve sent out post interview rejections or is anyone else still waiting to hear back?
Hopefully they’re just waiting for the financial aid committee to finalize their Geffen decisions? Emma did say they advocate strongly on behalf of their candidates, and those are due any day now. Good luck!

Hopefully they’re just waiting for the financial aid committee to finalize their Geffen decisions? Emma did say they advocate strongly on behalf of their candidates, and those are due any day now. Good luck!
Good to know I’m not the only one still waiting to hear one way or another. I had completely forgotten that Emma said that about the scholarship decisions! That would definitely be worth the extra wait. Good luck to you too!

very true that Emma and Dr. Moreno advocate strongly for scholarships, but their admissions are going to be pretty separate from fin aid from what they told me when they called! my guess is no rejections until after all spots are filled. for those that got the A call, it's 15 days after to accept your PRIME offer, you might hear back after this upcoming Thursday? good vibes to all :)

Just caught the R! Good luck to everyone :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Really sad about the R but congrats to everyone who got in. I thought my interview went really well but I guess I just wasn’t a good fit. Still gonna be a bomb-ass physician advocate though!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when UCLA-PRIME waitlist movement begins?