2022-2023 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who are wondering, I emailed financial aid, and they said the scholarship committee has awarded all merit scholarships. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
For those who are wondering, I emailed financial aid, and they said the scholarship committee has awarded all merit scholarships. :(
Darn, but that might not be completely true for those who are still on the waitlist. Given every student is supposed to be considered for these scholarships, maybe there are some on reserve for those who haven't gotten their aid package yet. At least that's my thinking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What I've gathered from previous threads:
  • 2021-22 thread: WLs came out this time last year (Thurs 2/24), post-II Rs came out the following week (3/4)
  • 2020-21: As (Thurs 2/25), As (Thurs 3/4), post-II Rs (Tues 3/9), WLs (Thurs 3/18)
  • 2019-20: As & WLs had already gone out by this time, Post-II Rs (Mon 2/24), trailing A in late March (reported week of 3/22, no prior communication)
  • 2018-19: bunch of As by now, WLs (Fri 3/1) but some were sent in error?, Rs (Mon 3/4)
So basically, now is the time to hear *something* but it could be anything. SO I guess we sit tight and hope for the best :)

So for the few of us still with silence, I did more digging. The 21-22 thread yielded nothing, but the 20-21 thread had a bunch of people on silence for awhile after a few big R waves and a WL wave, then an R wave week: Mon 3/22, Tues 3/23, Thurs 3/25, and Fri 3/26. Lots of Rs for almost everyone with silence, EXCEPT 1 WL report 3/25 and 1 WL 3/26. So... we won't have good news but it's not necessarily bad news. FYI, 3/25 was the last Thursday in March that year. It seems like they try to get everything out by the end of March, so we should hopefully know by the end of the week. Previous reports suggest the AdCom meets on Wednesdays, so maybe something this Thursday?

Truly, at this point, I would just like answer.

Reactions: 1 users
So for the few of us still with silence, I did more digging. The 21-22 thread yielded nothing, but the 20-21 thread had a bunch of people on silence for awhile after a few big R waves and a WL wave, then an R wave week: Mon 3/22, Tues 3/23, Thurs 3/25, and Fri 3/26. Lots of Rs for almost everyone with silence, EXCEPT 1 WL report 3/25 and 1 WL 3/26. So... we won't have good news but it's not necessarily bad news. FYI, 3/25 was the last Thursday in March that year. It seems like they try to get everything out by the end of March, so we should hopefully know by the end of the week. Previous reports suggest the AdCom meets on Wednesdays, so maybe something this Thursday?

Truly, at this point, I would just like answer.
Ahh thank you for the deep dive! Sheesh it really seems like we might have gotten that WL, but dang they could’ve just told us that earlier like everyone else 😂 I, too, would just like an answer at this point because what the heck man lmao

Darn, but that might not be completely true for those who are still on the waitlist. Given every student is supposed to be considered for these scholarships, maybe there are some on reserve for those who haven't gotten their aid package yet. At least that's my thinking.
One thing to keep in mind for scholarships is that they initially offer them to highly competitive students to entice them to choose Dgsom. Some of these students will end up choosing Havard and others. They may have all been awarded at the moment but they will become available again and will most likely be awarded all through May. For waitlisted applicants losing hope, I got off the waitlist 05/01 and got awarded a Geffen award more than 3 weeks later.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
One thing to keep in mind for scholarships is that they initially offer them to highly competitive students to entice them to choose Dgsom. Some of these students will end up choosing Havard and others. They may have all been awarded at the moment but they will become available again and will most likely be awarded all through May. For waitlisted applicants losing hope, I got off the waitlist 05/01 and got awarded a Geffen award more than 3 weeks later.
Did you have Top of the Waitlist distinction? Thank you for your inspiring post!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol but hey, no news is good news!! It's not an R!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Does the admissions office accepts letters of interest/updates after being placed on a waitlist?

Heyyyy. Does anyone know if update letters mean something for waitlist? I remembered from the interview day that ucla said updates after the interview are not reviewed, but do you all think sending an update can help with the waitlist situation?

Heyyyy. Does anyone know if update letters mean something for waitlist? I remembered from the interview day that ucla said updates after the interview are not reviewed, but do you all think sending an update can help with the waitlist situation?
They don't consider anything updates or any letters post-interview or for the WL unfortunately :/

How was second look, for those who attended?
It was a very well put together event. Got to meet a lot of fellow classmates and faculty, tour the campus (not hospitals), and have questions answered. They invested heavily in the event, and it showed. It was a good idea to just have one weekend, so everyone could be there, students and faculty, both. Very impressed.

How was second look, for those who attended?

As the previous person noted, they really made an effort for their events and made people feel wanted. Met some great people (potential classmates, current students and faculty). They really care about equitable healthcare and it shows from the work they do and the initiatives they have in place. Definitely one of my favorite 2nd look events!

Eric Andre GIF

me in approx 7 days from now

Reactions: 10 users
Did anyone else get their PAL and get basically a lot of loans. I’m sort of freaking out.

has anyone offered a merit scholarship on this page turned it down? trying to assess any chance of movement on that front. tired and needing to make a choice between this program and others that have marginally better aid.

Did anyone else get their PAL and get basically a lot of loans. I’m sort of freaking out.
i'd say go talk to financial aid -- they're really kind and helpful. you can find appointments with them on the website.

has anyone offered a merit scholarship on this page turned it down? trying to assess any chance of movement on that front. tired and needing to make a choice between this program and others that have marginally better aid.

Talk to financial aid! They are super helpful and very patient.

does anyone/past WL folks (if u by chance lurk this thread...) know if there are worse chances for Jan interviewees on the WL or anything of that matter??? i am desperate to grasp onto some kind of hope here

does anyone/past WL folks (if u by chance lurk this thread...) know if there are worse chances for Jan interviewees on the WL or anything of that matter??? i am desperate to grasp onto some kind of hope here
it seems like WL is ranked so it shouldn't matter when you interview

No insight into how the WL works -- I just know anecdotally that WL offers go out as early as the first couple days, 2-3 weeks later, and 2 months later (yes, it can go up to July if folks choose to defer last minute).

I received a full tuition scholarship last month and just got a full COA a few days ago. I assume it was because someone else turned it down, and they will probably pass my previous tuition scholarship to someone else

Reactions: 2 users
hey yall. does anyone know if ucla removes you from the WL if you have to commit to enroll somewhere else due to their upcoming deadline?

hey yall. does anyone know if ucla removes you from the WL if you have to commit to enroll somewhere else due to their upcoming deadline?
commit to enroll? yes, that’s binding and means you’re only going to attend that school and giving up your other acceptances and waitlist spots. For plan to enroll, no

Starting 5/1, UCLA will see data about students’ choice of plan to enroll, including waitlisted students. So if I chose plan to enroll at another institution in accordance to AAMC's recommendation deadline even though UCLA is still my top choice, does this lower my chance of getting off the W list at UCLA?

Starting 5/1, UCLA will see data about students’ choice of plan to enroll, including waitlisted students. So if I chose plan to enroll at another institution in accordance to AAMC's recommendation deadline even though UCLA is still my top choice, does this lower my chance of getting off the W list at UCLA?
No. They're not going to not consider you bc/ of PTE, only CTE.

Reactions: 3 users
Are we expecting movement today or tomorrow? Good luck to everyone!
I think probably tomorrow, because people are still working on the PTE deadline until tonight! Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! Was it a phone call or email?
Email. Does anyone know when we get financial aid or scholarship info off the waitlist. It seems a little underhanded to only give 5 days to decide without having this information.

Email. Does anyone know when we get financial aid or scholarship info off the waitlist. It seems a little underhanded to only give 5 days to decide without having this information.
Congratz!! Did you have the top of WL designation?