2008-2009 University of Illinois (UIC) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really debating whether or not I should reapply this year but I haven't heard anything yet. Do you think that if I call the admissions office I could find out where I am on the waiting list? Or should I just wait until the next time they make a decision (June 1st I think)? What's the longest they could keep someone on the waiting list?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That's not a UIC rule, it's an AMCAS/AAMC rule.

Wrong. First, it's not a rule, it's a recommendation. Second, the recommendations imply that UIC probably should, and certainly may accommodate applicants such as sftiger:

#

#

After May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each school implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools. These procedures:

May require applicants to:

Respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks.

Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.

Should recognize the problems of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.

One would think that not knowing the geographical location of a prospective medical school is equally problematic as not having been informed about financial aid opportunities.

As to whether UIC does in fact accommodate applicants on this, I defer to your superior knowledge.

This has probably already been answered, but where do I send my request for a site change, and to whom do I address? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong. First, it's not a rule, it's a recommendation. Second, the recommendations imply that UIC probably should, and certainly may accommodate applicants such as sftiger:

First, I chose my word poorly; thanks. Second, I disagree that the recommendations necessarily imply that should do anything of the sort. A student is admitted and assigned a campus. At that point, the appeal is an "extra" step undertaken by the student, not the school. While UIC certainly may accomodate sftiger et al, I believe such cases will be the exception rather than the rule.

One would think that not knowing the geographical location of a prospective medical school is equally problematic as not having been informed about financial aid opportunities.

One might think that, yes. However, as I intimated above, in this case one has been admitted and knows where they're going (the sites have been assigned). This is not akin to not having financial aid information.

As to whether UIC does in fact accommodate applicants on this, I defer to your superior knowledge.

They do not. ...unless, of course, you have an "in". Then, almost anything is possible. (But you'd also need said "in" at the other school where you hold an acceptance so they don't penalize you.)

This has probably already been answered, but where do I send my request for a site change, and to whom do I address? Thanks in advance!

Send it to the admissions office and address it to "Committee on Admissions".

Ok so I called the Admissions office today, they told me I will have about a week grace period before they drop my place in the incoming class. I have my appeal letter in, so I will just have to call in regularly to see if the admissions committee has gotten to it. Thanks to KeyzerSoze and Zipmedic for your advice.

GoYanks09, I emailed my letter to the admissions office and wrote "Attention Committee on Admissions"

Last edited:
You can call and see if the committee has gone over your appeal letter?

Ok so I called the Admissions office today, they told me I will have about a week grace period before they drop my place in the incoming class. I have my appeal letter in, so I will just have to call in regularly to see if the admissions committee has gotten to it. Thanks to KeyzerSoze and Zipmedic for your advice.

GoYanks09, I emailed my letter to the admissions office and wrote "Attention Committee on Admissions"

Don't you have to get permission from your other school also so they don't drop you after 5/15?

Anyone know what the Financial Aid offer from UIC is like? Is it basically all loan?

Anyone know what the Financial Aid offer from UIC is like? Is it basically all loan?

Yup, lol

Hey, so when is the deadline for them receiving our Hep B forms and transcripts and what not?

Hey Everyone,

I just withdrew my acceptance (Chicago campus and UMed). Good luck to everyone still waiting!

For people on the waitlist feeling really worried about how much movement there's gonna be or if you're accepted but not at your preferred campus, I have a feeling there's gonna be quite a bit of movement.

I was planning on holding my acceptance while waiting for the financial aid info to compare to another school but they've totally screwed up my file and I may not even have my info by Friday. Either way, if I have a crappy package or no package at all (which I would bet on at this point), I'll be withdrawing. I also know of 2 other ppl right off the top of my head that will be withdrawing as well due to similar blundering of information on behalf of the admissions office. We're all Chicago campus too so that should help some people that want to be in the city. Best of luck to everyone still waiting :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
For people on the waitlist feeling really worried about how much movement there's gonna be or if you're accepted but not at your preferred campus, I have a feeling there's gonna be quite a bit of movement.

I was planning on holding my acceptance while waiting for the financial aid info to compare to another school but they've totally screwed up my file and I may not even have my info by Friday. Either way, if I have a crappy package or no package at all (which I would bet on at this point), I'll be withdrawing. I also know of 2 other ppl right off the top of my head that will be withdrawing as well due to similar blundering of information on behalf of the admissions office. We're all Chicago campus too so that should help some people that want to be in the city. Best of luck to everyone still waiting :luck:

I have a friend who is withdrawing from the Rockford track, she is just figuring logistically how to do it... And I will hopefully withdraw from Rockford, but am waiting on some waitlists... Seems like there will be a lot of movement!

I have a friend who is withdrawing from the Rockford track, she is just figuring logistically how to do it... And I will hopefully withdraw from Rockford, but am waiting on some waitlists... Seems like there will be a lot of movement!
don't they way over accept though? i heard they only take 7-10 people off the waitlist every year.

Yeah, this is medical school. For the VAST majority of us, the days of undergrad schools throwing scholarship and grant money at us are over.

Hey, so when is the deadline for them receiving our Hep B forms and transcripts and what not?

Officially, ASAP or July 1. Unofficially, whenever you can get it in as long as you keep the office apprised of what's going on.

don't they way over accept though? i heard they only take 7-10 people off the waitlist every year.

Earlier in this thread, someone said that an unprecedented high number of acceptees accepted their seats this year. Adcom handed out acceptances thinking the usual percentage wouldn't accept, but almost everyone did take their seat (probably because the deposit is only $100), so now I'm sure lots will be dropping their seats as we near 5/15. If this is true, then perhaps Chicago really did fill up in November and I just happened to miss the cut-off this year, but when people start to withdraw, hopefully Chicago spots will open so we petitioners can take our Chicago seats and waitlisters can get a seat on any campus.

Earlier in this thread, someone said that an unprecedented high number of acceptees accepted their seats this year. Adcom handed out acceptances thinking the usual percentage wouldn't accept, but almost everyone did take their seat (probably because the deposit is only $100), so now I'm sure lots will be dropping their seats as we near 5/15. If this is true, then perhaps Chicago really did fill up in November and I just happened to miss the cut-off this year, but when people start to withdraw, hopefully Chicago spots will open so we petitioners can take our Chicago seats and waitlisters can get a seat on any campus.

Your logic about the chicago campus is flawed because many people got accepted into chicago track since november(or so they say in this thread). I think they do a partial screening process for campus selection its not JUST first come first serve.

Also, i remember that post and that was way early in the season. A lot of people accepted early, I dont think anyone knows about how many people accepted their seats in the last couple of months.

Your logic about the chicago campus is flawed because many people got accepted into chicago track since november(or so they say in this thread). I think they do a partial screening process for campus selection its not JUST first come first serve.

Also, i remember that post and that was way early in the season. A lot of people accepted early, I dont think anyone knows about how many people accepted their seats in the last couple of months.

My apologies... I wasn't speaking the absolute truth, but rather my hopefully-distorted theory. You are right in that they could have reduced acceptances the past few months and I do believe they did a partial screening for Chicago as well, but only after their seats almost filled up in Chicago back in November. I was probably in the first batch that they started to screen for. I'm just trying to give everyone a glimmer of hope as people do come off the waitlist and people do get reassigned. Why can't that "person" be you?

My apologies... I wasn't speaking the absolute truth, but rather my hopefully-distorted theory. You are right in that they could have reduced acceptances the past few months and I do believe they did a partial screening for Chicago as well, but only after their seats almost filled up in Chicago back in November. I was probably in the first batch that they started to screen for. I'm just trying to give everyone a glimmer of hope as people do come off the waitlist and people do get reassigned. Why can't that "person" be you?

I thought u were taking away my glimmer of hope lol. I honestly dont care what track i get. I just want an acceptance after 6 months of decision pending. My post in no way was an attempt to attack you(if you got that impression im sorry). But hearing all these withdrawals are at least some hope that seats will be available. On the other hand i know of at least a handful of people that are in my same situation and not all of us will be able to get a spot :(.

sillyrussian: are you still decision pending? i know that some people recieved waitlist decisions, but so far it sounds like you and i are still in the running. good news, i had a talk with some admins today....things look promising regarding the amount of people that have dropped out and will drop out this week and next.

i wouldnt be hoping for chicago considering the large amounts of petitions, i am just hoping for a decision, whatever it may be.

june 1 baby.

sillyrussian: are you still decision pending? i know that some people recieved waitlist decisions, but so far it sounds like you and i are still in the running. good news, i had a talk with some admins today....things look promising regarding the amount of people that have dropped out and will drop out this week and next.

i wouldnt be hoping for chicago considering the large amounts of petitions, i am just hoping for a decision, whatever it may be.

june 1 baby.

Dude, chicago would be surreal, but is unnecessary for me right now. My gf lives out in buffalo grove and thats way close to rockford (as option 2), and honestly i dont care what campus i have to go to, i just want in!!!

I got the new email about file has been reviewed(again) and no decision has been made, a week or 2 ago (or whenever people posted it on the thread).

Crossing my fingers, and wishing both of us the best of luck. We have waited and earned our dues!!!

june 1 baby.

What do u mean some people received waitlist decisions??? Like they were told they have been officially put on the waitlist, or they have been accepted/rejected off the decision pending status?

I am still decision pending. Haven't heard of anyone getting official wait list notification. I just thought that decision pending = wait list.

If there is a difference, the question becomes: which status is better?

I am still decision pending. Haven't heard of anyone getting official wait list notification. I just thought that decision pending = wait list.

If there is a difference, the question becomes: which status is better?

I think (not certain tho) that 1 or 2 weeks after may 15th, all of us that are left get a letter in the mail from uic, saying we are either officially on the waitlist, with a subsequent quartile rank, or that we are accepted or rejected. Wait list is that theyve made a decision, but dont have a spot for you yet... i think.

As I've said a dozen times before, the waitlist will officially be created after 5/15.

Sillyrussian, I didn't think you were attacking me. I am very logical and prefer numbers over hope as well, but I thought I'd share what I predict anyway :) I definitely hope you get in! Guess what, the majority of your waiting is done already :)

Can someone tell me what a typical day is like as an M1 in Urbana. I can't find too much information about the curriculum. Lectures all day? PBL? Preceptorships in the first year? I'm also heading to Rockford after my first year, so I was wondering what M2 is like there. Thanks!

Can someone tell me what a typical day is like as an M1 in Urbana. I can't find too much information about the curriculum. Lectures all day? PBL? Preceptorships in the first year? I'm also heading to Rockford after my first year, so I was wondering what M2 is like there. Thanks!

I can't be of much help, but I do believe we are in class (lecture or lab) for most of the day. I don't believe PBL exists, but if it does, it's very little. Sorry I can't be of much help! I know at home I have a link where it shows the M1 block schedule so you could get a better idea of what a day at least looks like.

What do u mean some people received waitlist decisions??? Like they were told they have been officially put on the waitlist, or they have been accepted/rejected off the decision pending status?

Looks like I am not the only Russian getting shafted by UIC.

Just a couple of weeks and we will now where we are on their awesome waitlist.

With withdrew from my Peoria track, hope someone get my spot! UIC is way too expensive for me, haha.

chessodoc, where are you going?

to those who are still decision pending without any acceptances:

do you have a plan B?

what are you doing, besides patiently waiting for a decision on your file.

also, if you were in a similar situation before, what did you do?

do you have a plan B?

I have an SMP I might go to if I don't get in, but I'm not sure yet if I want to do that.

I called today to find out about getting an extension past 5/15 or if there is a grace period, and I was told there is not. So I am wondering why an earlier poster said there was one?

University of Vermont, its closer, plus somewhat cheaper than UIC...and I was not a fan of the Peoria track.

^^special masters program

do you have a plan B?

study for the mcat again.

resubmitting app first thing June, extra lors and some new experience

working full-time clinical research and also parttime work in a lab

praying to get off the WL

Just withdrew from the Urbana/Rockford track. Had a hard time deciding between this and Rush, and decided I wanted to be in Chicago.

Good luck to all!

Did anyone hear back about petitions today? I had a friend who got his petition honored last year on the 15th so I've been hoping to get a call today too :p

Did anyone hear back about petitions today? I had a friend who got his petition honored last year on the 15th so I've been hoping to get a call today too :p

I was just going to ask the same question hehe... I have my cell phone within sight and have been looking at it all day for that call. Haven't gotten it yet :/ I wonder if majority of grants are made now or if they are steady throughout the summer...

Haha, same here with the phone. I have a Blackberry and checking this site quite often

I just turned in my petition today. I hope mine gets honored today. :D

They told me they will start looking at them after today... so I'm assuming your friend is a special case. They also told me that petitions have been granted as late as one week before orientation.

I just turned in my petition today. I hope mine gets honored today. :D

They told me they will start looking at them after today... so I'm assuming your friend is a special case. They also told me that petitions have been granted as late as one week before orientation.

I was told they would be looking at them after today as well. I guess I was just hoping for a pleasant surprise.

I've already asked this, but had no response last time

for people on the Urbana track, do you need a car in your first year in Urbana? I'm obviously assuming you'll need one when you go to Peoria or Rockford.

Hi,
I'm a foreign dental graduate,I was wondering if anyone had any info of how to get an application for the Uni. of Illinois at chicago,College of dentistry for the 2010 program,does anyone have any idea of the min. requirement for the nbde part 1 & toefl?

Thank you.

Fadi Hasan

I've already asked this, but had no response last time

for people on the Urbana track, do you need a car in your first year in Urbana? I'm obviously assuming you'll need one when you go to Peoria or Rockford.

I went to school in Urbana and it depends on where you live. There are a ton of housing options around or on campus. The MTD bus system is pretty good and makes some off campus options doable. I had a car my senior year and only used it to go to restaurants and grocery store.

Hi,
I'm a foreign dental graduate,I was wondering if anyone had any info of how to get an application for the Uni. of Illinois at chicago,College of dentistry for the 2010 program,does anyone have any idea of the min. requirement for the nbde part 1 & toefl?

Thank you.

Fadi Hasan

Wrong thread buddy. I highly doubt any of us know. Try the dental forums... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Status
Not open for further replies.