2008-2009 University of Louisville Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the letter today and it was good news! Best of luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the letter today!!!!! It was a thin one, so I was preparing for the worst, but reading that first line took my breath away. Good luck to everyone else! GO CARDS!!!!!!!:laugh:

Got my letter yesterday! I'm in! I'm about 2 hrs from Louisville, if that matters to anyone.

Congrats to those that are in! I'm a first year and I'm enjoying my time immensely! I may be one of your second year mentors next year...:eek:

Congrats to those that are in! I'm a first year and I'm enjoying my time immensely! I may be one of your second year mentors next year...:eek:

Yeah, I think I remember you from the old UofL Status thread from last cycle. It's awesome that I'll finally get to go there now!

It's been good so far. You will enjoy it. It's slowly becoming my second home (even though I live only a 5 min. bike ride away).

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I have to decide, UK? UofL?
Same here. BearsDoc, I'm curious to hear your take on the two schools (positives/negatives) and if you are already leaning toward one school. Also, if anyone else has useful insight on how the two compare, that would be great.

yeah, I found it the night before my interview, it doesn't look like it's been updated for a few years, but I doubt that much has changed. Especially since I had one of the people they mention as an interviewer.

Same here. BearsDoc, I'm curious to hear your take on the two schools (positives/negatives) and if you are already leaning toward one school. Also, if anyone else has useful insight on how the two compare, that would be great.
But between UK and UL, I am leaning to UK
Advantage UK
1. UK has smaller class size
2. New Hospital will be there for the entering class
3. Rank higher, in fact UL is not ranked
4. Only half day of class
5. Tuition guarantee for 4 years
6. More scholarship offered

Advantage UL
1. I already saw UL match list which is pretty good, but UK hide it, make me wonder.
2. I heard people talking about better clinical rotations at UL, is it true?
3. Easy and cheaper to travel to SDF since I am from out state
4. Bigger city, may be more to do
5. Longer summer vacation first year, 3 mo vs 1 mo

Just my 2c, glad to get input from every one.

Last edited:
But between UK and UL, I am leaning to UK
Advantage UK
1. UK has smaller class size
2. New Hospital will be there for the entering class
3. Rank higher, in fact UL is not ranked
4. Only half day of class
5. Tuition guarantee for 4 years
6. More scholarship offered

Advantage UL
1. I already saw UL match list which is pretty good, but UK hide it, make me wonder.
2. I heard people talking about better clinical rotations at UL, is it true?
3. Easy and cheaper to travel to SDF since I am from out state
4. Bigger city, may be more to do
5. Longer summer vacation first year, 3 mo vs 1 mo

Just my 2c, glad to get input from every one.

I don't mean to disparage your pro's and con's here, I know it's human nature to try and compartmentalize everything into little black-and-white boxes that nicely explain the world, but some of what you've listed is probably untrue, and much of it isn't relevant to you as a student.

In both UK's and UL'sdefense, try to evaluate the schools on a more personal level. Try to get a feel for the city and for the student body, and ask students about their day and their likes and dislikes. Class day length at UK vs. UL, or match list, doesn't mean a hill of beans to you as a student.

Just a friendly FYI.

I don't mean to disparage your pro's and con's here, I know it's human nature to try and compartmentalize everything into little black-and-white boxes that nicely explain the world, but some of what you've listed is probably untrue, and much of it isn't relevant to you as a student.

In both UK's and UL'sdefense, try to evaluate the schools on a more personal level. Try to get a feel for the city and for the student body, and ask students about their day and their likes and dislikes. Class day length at UK vs. UL, or match list, doesn't mean a hill of beans to you as a student.

Just a friendly FYI.

I agree with you, the issue is I actual like both, I need to find some way to separate them.

Maybe another pro for Louisville. They will have their new anatomy lab ready for 2009, I don't think UK will until after we're finished with 1st year, someone else might know for sure though.

I agree with you, the issue is I actual like both, I need to find some way to separate them.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate Catch-22. You don't really know enough about the schools until you've decided on and attended one.

That said, pro's that I can think of for Louisville - good study facilities (having your own locker and locking desk is nice), lots of research opportunities (as well as early clinical experience), many active student clubs, more student advisors/mentors than I can remember (literally, I think I still need to schedule a meeting with one or two mentors that I forgot about), Dr. Acland's fresh tissue dissections, good location, lots of hospitals within walking distance.

On the things you mentioned previously, I don't mean to knock your criteria, obviously you have to decide what's important to you and that may not be the same for me, but I looked for things that would make my life in school easier, more enjoyable, and give me lots of opportunities. It's nice that U of L had a good match year, but the individual accomplishments of this year's graduates don't have a lot of bearing on my personal performance through the next 4 years. On the other hand, U of L's research opportunities, such as the Ortho Surg research I did the Summer before I started, will likely help me match to whatever specialty I decide upon when I can list a first-author publication on my ERAS CV.

Just my perspective, though. Good luck on your decisions and I may see you around next year.:D

So, tomorrow is 2 weeks after the letters were mailed out. I mailed in my deposit and a conformation letter on Monday. Do I need to call them and make sure they know my letter is on the way, or just not worry about it? I don't want them to think I don't want to go there.

So, tomorrow is 2 weeks after the letters were mailed out. I mailed in my deposit and a conformation letter on Monday. Do I need to call them and make sure they know my letter is on the way, or just not worry about it? I don't want them to think I don't want to go there.

Check the status page. There's a space to tell you when/if your seat deposit was received. Mine was updated with a date two days after I mailed it. I recieved my check receipt in the mail a little after that.

I say check your status online tomorrow and then call if it hasn't shown up yet (though apparently mail goes TO Louisville much faster than it comes FROM Louisville :rolleyes:)

I already posted on the Class Thread in the Med Student forum but I might as well add a post here. I GOT ACCEPTED along with all of you other wonderful people!

I already posted on the Class Thread in the Med Student forum but I might as well add a post here. I GOT ACCEPTED along with all of you other wonderful people!

Congratulations (again) :D

You going to make the jump from the Wildcats to the Cards now?

just checked on it, it's there now:)

Yay! Now you can officially be done with that status page! Feels good knowing you won't ever have to check it again, huh?

Yes! never again having to log in, only to realize I typed in the wrong password and get ACCESS DENIED. Did anyone get the new information that they're supposed to send us yet? If so, how did they send it to you?

Yes! never again having to log in, only to realize I typed in the wrong password and get ACCESS DENIED. Did anyone get the new information that they're supposed to send us yet? If so, how did they send it to you?

I got an e-mail detailing how to get on the Blackboard site. I only went on long enough to change the default password, so I haven't really looked around it very much.

Congratulations (again) :D

You going to make the jump from the Wildcats to the Cards now?

Yay! Now you can officially be done with that status page! Feels good knowing you won't ever have to check it again, huh?

It looks that way. I was born in raised in Louisville but all of my family has always been UK fans. Naturally, I've grown up the same way and was proud to wear the blue for undergrad. It is definitely going to be hard to put on anything red once I go to Louisville, but I might be comfortable enough to slip into some cardinal gear by my third year :)

So i've been complete since 8/20 and I haven't heard anything. does anyone have a suggested reason for this or is this normal happenings? I am out of state, and will calling help?

I hear ya. I have been done since July, called twice in the last month, and have been told both times to basically keep waiting. Not a great feeling.

Me too, but only waiting since complete around late September, just over 2 months.

Driving me nuts as an OOS with all stats above the school averages, given how helpful and encouraging the director admissions was when I spoke to her last spring (which is why I reapplied this year w/higher MCAT/GPA/more ECs)

Any recent interview invites, if so pls. let us know when you were complete! I'd called a month after turning in the secondary & was told my app is complete, file is "under review", and they will finalize interview offers by Feb/March. (i.e. just keep waiting)

I submitted online on 10/2 and recieved an interview invite 11/11. I'm OOS. Stats: 31M, 3.65, Che Eng form Purdue, 4 years industry experience

I submitted online on 10/2 and recieved an interview invite 11/11. I'm OOS. Stats: 31M, 3.65, Che Eng form Purdue, 4 years industry experience

Congratulations. When is your interview? I guess I'm just curious how far in advance they're scheduling them now.

Hi all! I've been lurking here but am excited to finally join in the fun on this thread. I got an interview invite on Friday for 1/21!!

I'm OOS, but my husband is from Louisville, and his whole family still lives there, so it's certainly among my top choices. Of course, I've figured out the major bummer that if I were to get in, I wouldn't ever be eligible for in-state tuition . . . which is so sad, particularly given that the only reason he moved away was for school; and Louisville feels a whole lot more like home to me than my state has . . . oh well! I'm still really excited to interview and see where this takes me!

I just got an interview request from Louisville for mid January! I totally did not expect that, since I am from New York, I am not a minority, and my grades/MCAT scores were not THAT amazing. However, my father graduated from UoL Med, so maybe that had something to do with it, plus I touched bases with some of his contacts from the medical school, including a notable cardiology professor there. It's time to fly there and wonder at all the funnily accented people.

Complete early Sept and also no word.

Have they rejected people pre-interview yet? How do they send the interview invites?

Complete early Sept and also no word.

Have they rejected people pre-interview yet? How do they send the interview invites?

I'm still waiting as well.

Don't lose hope if you haven't been invited for an interview yet! I waited a LONG time without a peep coming from UoL after I finished their secondary in August. But just randomly around Dec. 19, I get an email from UoL inviting me for an interview. From that, it looks like they're continually reviewing and re-reviewing candidates to invite them for interview based upon what's happening at the time.

So don't lose hope! You could get an email from them tomorrow! Or something!

I talked to them Dec. 22 or so and they said that they will resume sending out interview invites on Jan. 6 by email.

So.. there's still some hope I guess!

I also heard from a friend who interviewed there in December that the class was about 60% full right now, so that's not too bad. And U of L usually moves the top third of it waitlist. So all good news, right?

Meanwhile, my MCAT class begins Monday! ha ha

Congratulations. When is your interview? I guess I'm just curious how far in advance they're scheduling them now.

thanks, sorry for late reply, i nterviewed 12/10, hoping to hear on tuesday the final ruling (4th tuesday of the month!)

any know if they post immediately after the decision?

btw, school was pretty cool, i really dug the atmosphere. all the students in the class we watched were bantering with each other and it was really noisy. i'd be very glad to get an acceptance here. the sim lab seemed allright, i've only seen the DMU school's sim lab and it is off the charts awesome, so i don't know how well it compares on a broader scale.

thanks, sorry for late reply, i nterviewed 12/10, hoping to hear on tuesday the final ruling (4th tuesday of the month!)

any know if they post immediately after the decision?

btw, school was pretty cool, i really dug the atmosphere. all the students in the class we watched were bantering with each other and it was really noisy. i'd be very glad to get an acceptance here. the sim lab seemed allright, i've only seen the DMU school's sim lab and it is off the charts awesome, so i don't know how well it compares on a broader scale.

So how'd it go? I was going to post on the immediacy of their reply, but I'm guessing they posted already regardless.

So it's the 2nd Wednesday of this month, they didn't meet at the end of january due to snow storm. i thought i should hear today, but thus far no go...

it will be super lame if i have to wait an additional 2 weeks
do they email rigth away or is the status page the first place to find out?

So it's the 2nd Wednesday of this month, they didn't meet at the end of january due to snow storm. i thought i should hear today, but thus far no go...

Did you call admission office to see whether they took any decision on your application? You have good stats and they have had several meetings since your interview.

I called them today. The lady said that they had meeting yesterday (Wed, Feb11 instead of Feb. 10). They will be updating status tomorrow. I hope we get the good news by mail in the next few days

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone else has had any word who interviewed around 12/9? i contacted them but no reply as yet...

The status page is the only way to find out if a letter is in the mail.

I guess you could call them, but they just look you up on the computer and read your status to you...

The status page is the only way to find out if a letter is in the mail.

I guess you could call them, but they just look you up on the computer and read your status to you...

So I interviewed on Jan 15 and called them few times but no news. Does it mean that I have not been reviewed yet or they are just taking their time to decide whether I am a good fit or not. I really like the school and my interview went extremely well. Please advise me as to what should I do. Should I write a letter of intent?

Status
Not open for further replies.