2008-2009 University of Miami Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on the question (accepted at both campuses too):
1. Boca wins hands down with clinical experience as far as the first two years since you work a lot more hands on with patients. However in Miami you will see more variance in the patient population (obviously).

2. I think its a toss-up between the two, but I feel Boca has an advantage over Miami. My student guides at Miami main said that the library isn't really busy until exam time and that they studied a lot at home. The people at Boca said that students can come and go as they please and there's a security guard stationed in the med school.

3. Boca hands down. One of the best ratios for students:faculty I think in the nation. As far as their pedigrees, I'm not too sure.

4. From what I've read, Boca has higher USLME scores. However I don't think that's something you want to base your decision on since USMLE scores are more dependant on the individual rather than the teachings of the school IMO.

5. This question was brought up during both tours and they said that those who graduate from the Boca campus and main campus will have a degree from the University of Miami. Thus, no campus is more prestigious than the other.

6. I'm pretty sure they combine match lists with no distinction between the two campuses... (at least that's what I saw on their match day list)

7. I think there aren't that many differences between the two in curriculum, other than the teaching style. Medical education is typically comprehensive no matter where you go.

I think that Miami main has impressive hospitals but since those at Boca can do their rotations at Jackson, I don't really see any advantage in going to Miami over Boca... unless you despise PBL.

Warbux pretty much covered it but I just wanted to add that Boca is very PBL heavy as compared to the main campus. If you don't like PBL (or would rather spend your time at home streaming video lectures), I would not go to Boca. When I toured at the main campus this was given as one of the main reasons people chose one campus over the other. Some of the best info on the curriculum at the Boca campus can be found here:http://med.fau.edu/biomedical/ummsm_rmc/meded/curri_overview.html.

The main campus is definitely going to have a wider variety of patients overall. That being said, Boca campus students do participate in the health fairs and one day a week at the Department of Health, so some diversity is available. Boca students also have ample opportunities to rotate at Jackson and elsewhere during fourth year.

I don't have much to add to that but thought this article on the Boca Campus might be of interest...http://www6.miami.edu/ummedicine-magazine/featurestory1.html.

I was accepted to both campuses and ultimately chose Boca because I felt like it was a better fit for me overall. I think that is the most important thing. Good luck on your decision! You can't go wrong either way.

Members don't see this ad.

Warbux pretty much covered it but I just wanted to add that Boca is very PBL heavy as compared to the main campus. If you don't like PBL (or would rather spend your time at home streaming video lectures), I would not go to Boca. When I toured at the main campus this was given as one of the main reasons people chose one campus over the other. Some of the best info on the curriculum at the Boca campus can be found here:http://med.fau.edu/biomedical/ummsm_rmc/meded/curri_overview.html.

The main campus is definitely going to have a wider variety of patients overall. That being said, Boca campus students do participate in the health fairs and one day a week at the Department of Health, so some diversity is available. Boca students also have ample opportunities to rotate at Jackson and elsewhere during fourth year.

I don't have much to add to that but thought this article on the Boca Campus might be of interest...http://www6.miami.edu/ummedicine-magazine/featurestory1.html.

I was accepted to both campuses and ultimately chose Boca because I felt like it was a better fit for me overall. I think that is the most important thing. Good luck on your decision! You can't go wrong either way.

Great info everyone!

My understanding and why I chose Main Campus:

1. Regional gives you more clinical skills up front without extra effort. While at main campus you have to go out on your own to get the same level of training. However, as a student you are welcome at the hospital any time.

2. Boca has a more community/primary care focus, while if you want to specialize, you can't beat Miami Main for exposure. (obviously both give exposure enough to go anywhere you want to, just look at match lists).

3. Boca there's a bit more travel involved, while Main campus everything is one stop shopping.

4. Traditional Lecture vs. PBL: I didn't want to have to depend on clicking with a group for my education. PBL is probably a good thing and produces great thinkers, but I think Lecture studing can be streamlined so I can get involved in more research.

5. South Beach.

It was a tough decision, and I hope everyone is happy where they end up!

Doesnt Boca do their 3rd and 4th years up in their area....no longer at JMH?

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesnt Boca do their 3rd and 4th years up in their area....no longer at JMH?
They no longer rotate at JMH. They can do some rotations there, but the non-electives are in the Boca Area. I think this is a relatively new phenomenon (2007 entering class I think)

anyone receive a confirmation that their deposit was received? thanks.

I received an email as well when the deposit was received.

For those of you that are interested, the health and immunization forms have been updated and are finally available for download

http://www.mededu.miami.edu/Admissions/HealthForm.htm

Has anyone started looking for a loan lender yet? I know a lot of them changed/reduced/eliminated incentives this year so I was wondering what everyone's going with or if anyone has any advice. Thanks.

I got the call today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See all of you guys in the fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey guys,

I found a place starting Fall 2009 at the Miami campus. It is across from the medical school (so 1-2 min walk), gated, clean, and u need swipe cards to get into the apartment building. I am looking for a roommate to share an annual lease with me, or if someone is already living there, I would like to become a roommate. Not only is the building and apartments really clean, but the rooms are also of decent size. The place is furnished. Best of all, the rent is $375 per person per month (excluding utilities). If anyone is interested please reply to this post, or reply is u are living in this place and need a roommate for Fall. It is called Santa Clara I apartments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I found a place starting Fall 2009 at the Miami campus. It is across from the medical school (so 1-2 min walk), gated, clean, and u need swipe cards to get into the apartment building. I am looking for a roommate to share an annual lease with me, or if someone is already living there, I would like to become a roommate. Not only is the building and apartments really clean, but the rooms are also of decent size. The place is furnished. Best of all, the rent is $375 per person per month (excluding utilities). If anyone is interested please reply to this post, or reply is u are living in this place and need a roommate for Fall. It is called Santa Clara I apartments.

How is the parking situation? And where did you see the listing for this place?

Hey guys,

Sounds almost too good to be true. I am strongly considering it though.

Ahhhh. So i got the letter early May saying im on that "temporary waitlist" for the Miami campus, and I am also on the "regular" waitlist for Boca. It seems like alot of people already got in off the waitlist for the Miami campus after the May 15th date... Does anyone know approximately how many ?

I would love to know what my chances are looking like (for example where I am on the waitlist) or any thing to give me some idea of whether or not my chances of getting in are realistic. Any suggestions ?

Also, how do they accept people off of the waitlist ? Are there still committee meetings and then after each meeting they let a new batch in ? Or is it just on a rolling basis where anytime someone withdraws the next on the waitlist gets accepted immediately ?

Last thing... I wrote a letter of intent and an update letter in April, and I also sent in an additional letter of rec early May.... Would there be any sense in writing another letter, or trying to talk to anyone in the admissions office ? Or should I just stay put and wait patiently ? Any suggestions / advice would be very appreciated...

Ahhhh. So i got the letter early May saying im on that "temporary waitlist" for the Miami campus, and I am also on the "regular" waitlist for Boca. It seems like alot of people already got in off the waitlist for the Miami campus after the May 15th date... Does anyone know approximately how many ?

I would love to know what my chances are looking like (for example where I am on the waitlist) or any thing to give me some idea of whether or not my chances of getting in are realistic. Any suggestions ?

Also, how do they accept people off of the waitlist ? Are there still committee meetings and then after each meeting they let a new batch in ? Or is it just on a rolling basis where anytime someone withdraws the next on the waitlist gets accepted immediately ?

Last thing... I wrote a letter of intent and an update letter in April, and I also sent in an additional letter of rec early May.... Would there be any sense in writing another letter, or trying to talk to anyone in the admissions office ? Or should I just stay put and wait patiently ? Any suggestions / advice would be very appreciated...

I can't tell you exactly how many people were picked from the wait list, but since 67 out of 150 students last year were from the list, I would say most students that were picked were before the May 15th day or on it. After it, I think it is safe estimate say 20 seats will still be picked from the list, but I could be wrong.

Your chances of getting in are not based on your GPA, MCAT, etc. anymore, because there are no committee meetings occurring after the meeting following the last interview date. From then on, 2 waiting lists were compiled (a temporary and a permanent one). I was told that the temp list is almost always taken into the class, and the upper part of the regular list gets in too, but that is true for the Miami campus, since there are more seats, more people withdraw, and more people have applied from OOS, so that increases your chances that someone will withdraw.

You can certainly try to write a letter of intent and talk to the admissions office, but you will hear one reply: we are still going to ask you to wait. It seems the admissions office is cryptic about ranks and each student's status, which only exacerbates one's worries. I was on a temp wait list too for Miami, and I got a phone call on May 14th morning.

Don't worry too much, the temp list is the upper list so u still have a good chance of getting in. Since the deposit given to Miami is non-refundable even after May 15th, some people won't care too much of withdrawing before May 15th.

Sounds almost too good to be true. I am strongly considering it though.

To motorcycleguy,
The parking situation is average, but you would have to call the apartments to get details. I saw a listing for this place on craigslist.com's Miami page under housing. There are only 3 listings there with some pictures too.

To kidon,
It does seem that way, and I have called them to inquire more about this place. You can call them too on 305-548-3811 for more info.

I called the Financial office today to ask about loans, and it seems most students at Miami have chosen Sally Mae as their lender via OpenNet on the Financial page.

To motorcycleguy,
The parking situation is average, but you would have to call the apartments to get details. I saw a listing for this place on craigslist.com's Miami page under housing. There are only 3 listings there with some pictures too.

Quick google search:
http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/florida/miami/santa-clara.htm

I'm thinking the last two reviews may have been written by the owner of the place. You usually don't see two reviews posted in two days like that.

Re Apartment Hunting/ that place on 12th ave....

I wouldn't live there if I were you. If you want to live near the school, stay south of the medical complex and/or on the river, but not directly east... It really is touch and go. There is always seybold place, or around that small neighborhood right there down 12th ave south of 836 (across from Winn Dixie.) But go one block too far east and its a no. Also, even if you do find a good apt in a pretty good area, make sure it has secure parking. I currently live in the area but was lucky enough to find a building near the river that has background checks/gated parking/good tenants. Still, my boyfriends car was stolen from the street in front last year. If you have any more apts you are curious about, send me a pm. Good luck w/ the hunt

Has anyone heard of the Bermuda House Apts?

[Bermuda House Apts
Miami, 33136
Description
Nestled in a Quiet Neighborhood right on the Miami River, The Bermuda House has on-site management, gated entry and beautiful views of the Waterway from the gardens. Living here you are walking distance to shopping, the Metro Rail and the hospitals.]

Well, I was accepted at Miller yesterday...in off the waitlist. This could have been a very happy occurence had I not spent the past 4 months discovering that I like podiatry so much more.

Enjoy my spot guys!

Anyone know where to find a housing thread or housing information for Boca Raton / Miami campuses?

How's the alternate list situation looking? Anyone have an update for the Main Campus?

Dr. Weisman informed me that there are 4 students still holding multiple acceptances right now, so we are waiting on them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.