2008-2009 University of Virginia (UVA) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been complete since 9/5 and I called the office today, and they said that the adcom still has not made a final decision on my file...:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Funky, I just looked at your MDapps. And you're crazy! Why did you apply to so many schools? Your applications looks great. Did you just have money to burn and had no idea where you wanted to go?

BTW, I don't have a decision yet either.

Funky, I just looked at your MDapps. And you're crazy! Why did you apply to so many schools? Your applications looks great. Did you just have money to burn and had no idea where you wanted to go?

BTW, I don't have a decision yet either.

You are only the 700th person to ask this question....

In a nutshell

-I am from CA
-Indian Male (ORM)
-would like to stay IS, but if I need to go OOS, I have no idea where I would like to go
-Parents are paying for it, and they said that I MUST get in this year or else
-Bad experiences with parent's friends/ coworkers' kids not getting in
-I like stealing IS people's spots in their state school as an OOS;)

You are only the 700th person to ask this question....

In a nutshell

-I am from CA
-Indian Male (ORM)
-would like to stay IS, but if I need to go OOS, I have no idea where I would like to go
-Parents are paying for it, and they said that I MUST get in this year or else
-Bad experiences with parent's friends/ coworkers' kids not getting in
-I like stealing IS people's spots in their state school as an OOS;)

LOL, you probably have this somewhere so you can just copy/paste at this point, right? Hey, at least you're not paying for it!

The one in bold made me laugh. At least you stayed out of Arkansas!:cool:

LOL, you probably have this somewhere so you can just copy/paste at this point, right? Hey, at least you're not paying for it!

The one in bold made me laugh. At least you stayed out of Arkansas!:cool:

The bolded part is just something that happened.... I dunno, but my own state hates me, while other people's states love me, but they hate their own residents...
I have no real ties to Arkansas... I have random relatives who live in random places all over the country... but not Arkansas... The only person OOSer I personally know who got into UAMS was born in Arkansas, and had most of her family there as well.

Applying to so many schools then withdrawing pre-secondary = flushing money down the toilet. PURE INSANITY!!!

Good luck stealing those spots!!!

Interviewed 12/3, parents got acceptance letter in the mail on 12/8. Wow. Just wow. Why can't more schools be like UVa?

Interviewed 12/3, parents got acceptance letter in the mail on 12/8. Wow. Just wow. Why can't more schools be like UVa?

Doesn't get much better. Are there any class threads/facebook groups going for UVa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking for a class thread or group and haven't found one. I would start one but I am still deciding and am not for sure on UVa. Anyone already made a decision to go?

I've been looking for a class thread or group and haven't found one. I would start one but I am still deciding and am not for sure on UVa. Anyone already made a decision to go?

I too am deciding on UVA, MightyDucksMan check your PM's.

UVA has been by far the best experience I've had with any school in this long and frustrating process. They are quick, decisive, and I'm still pretty sold on going unless some other school can be more impressive.

Same here. I'm trying to see what the other students are like as one of my factors. There's a lot of stuff that goes into my decision I suppose.

UVA has been by far the best experience I've had with any school in this long and frustrating process. They are quick, decisive, and I'm still pretty sold on going unless some other school can be more impressive.

That's about where I'm at. I really loved UVa but don't want to drop other applications I have out just yet.

Steako, I'm also hoping to meet some other students. Does anyone know if there is a prospective student day in the spring? I talked to someone last year who was going to one at Harvard and it sounded like a great way to help with the decision-making process.

Yeah I agree - UVA has its act together with its professional schools (Law, Darden, Med).

With the rough economy lots of schools have had to stop construction to use that money towards something else. Thankfully since Virginia is super fiscally conservative all that money has already been allocated for construction and can't be moved so I'm told that new medical school will open right on time a year from May (2010).

If you've seen any of the other new buildings around here (Commerce school, John Paul Jones Arena), then you know it's going to be absolutely spectacular. Can't wait!

So I just got an interview invitation to UVA for the end of Jan. I lived in the area for a couple years (OOS now) so I'm excited, except it seems so late. I haven't interviewed in a couple months now. Couple of questions though if anyone knows:

-What's their admissions schedule like, if I interview late January how many spots are left?

-Any OOS opinions on their impression of the school relative to other schools?

I'm still deciding if its worth interviewing at this point in the cycle when I already have some acceptances...

I think Ohio State & UT Southwestern are definitely better. I would wait for Baylor otherwise I will choose between Ohio State and UT Southwestern.
That is just my opinion.

So I just got an interview invitation to UVA for the end of Jan. I lived in the area for a couple years (OOS now) so I'm excited, except it seems so late. I haven't interviewed in a couple months now. Couple of questions though if anyone knows:

-What's their admissions schedule like, if I interview late January how many spots are left?

I'm still deciding if its worth interviewing at this point in the cycle when I already have some acceptances...

Due to geographical/logistical and financial reasons, I probably won't be attending UVA if I get into one of 3 other schools that work better for me in terms of location, but I felt compelled to answer this post anyway because I LOVED UVA. Don't drop the interview. I'm OOS and have interviewed at a couple of other awesome places, and I can honestly say that UVA was my favorite. It might just have been that it was a good fit for me, but I think it'd be hard not to like it there.

Beyond just their philosophy and feel, though, there's one huge selling point that I think bears mentioning: they condense their first three "years" into less time than most other schools, with the result that you get to start elective rotations 3 months earlier than other places. I think this is huge, because you get 3 months' worth of extra electives before you have to apply for residencies. So if you've got a wide range of interests and want to sample as many as possible before settling on one specialty, it's a great plus. I think you should go interview. They're great about getting your decision to you quickly, so it won't be more than a week or two after you interview that you know where you stand.

Emu, if you don't wanna go to the interview, I'll go there in your place:p

an interview at uva is not to be missed. I went to a ton of interviews (many at higher "ranked" schools) and uva really, really stood out to me (im OOS too).

If you lived there, you already know about how different the location is, especially compared to Dallas and Columbus. Personally I'd love a place like Charlottesville, so if location and environment may factor in your decision, take the interview!

Yay, UVa Responds to In the area letters! Woohoo, interview invite!

Yay, UVa Responds to In the area letters! Woohoo, interview invite!

Wow :eek:, I'm actually shocked since I don't think that UVA is really "in the area" of any medical schools as I said a while ago.

Since you've basically applied to every school in the country (no offense!), does UVA rank highly on your personal list? Or are you going just for the experience?

At any rate I'm sure you'll like it - beautiful campus and very pleasant surroundings!! :thumbup:

haha too bad i can't do an "in the area" email, since uva's my undergrad institution right now...

Wow :eek:, I'm actually shocked since I don't think that UVA is really "in the area" of any medical schools as I said a while ago.

Since you've basically applied to every school in the country (no offense!), does UVA rank highly on your personal list? Or are you going just for the experience?

At any rate I'm sure you'll like it - beautiful campus and very pleasant surroundings!! :thumbup:

How Rude:oops:

I am also interviewing at MCV which is like 70 miles away... But I really would like to attend, and since my sister attends MCV, and my parents were thinking of moving to Virginia also, since the place that my dad works at has a branch in Northern Virginia... IF I can get in, I am likely to go... it ranks very highly on my list...

/agree
good thing UVA has a different definition of "in the area" than you Admiral. I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up though :confused:

Yah:p

This was my email, if anyone is interested:
Dear University of Virginia School of Medicine Admissions Committee,

My name is funkydrmonkey, AMCAS ID: 12345678. I have been invited for a medical school interview in Virginia on Wednesday February 4, 2008. Considering the cost of plane tickets from Los Angeles to Virginia, if there is a forthcoming interview invite, I would love to come and interview around this time. Thank you very much for your time, patience, and consideration.

Sincerely,

funkydrmonkey
[email protected]

Yah:p

This was my email, if anyone is interested:
Dear University of Virginia School of Medicine Admissions Committee,

My name is funkydrmonkey, AMCAS ID: 12345678. I have been invited for a medical school interview in Virginia on Wednesday February 4, 2008. Considering the cost of plane tickets from Los Angeles to Virginia, if there is a forthcoming interview invite, I would love to come and interview around this time. Thank you very much for your time, patience, and consideration.

Sincerely,

funkydrmonkey
[email protected]

I predict great things for you in this cycle and in your life. This was a very smart thing to do, and you wrote a simple and direct email that was very effective; I especially like the inclusion of the "considering the cost of plane tickets" - you made a direct appeal, without whining about anything, and I am sure that your inclusion of this registered with the adcom at UVa. Good luck to you.

If you had listened to the SDN "peanut gallery" you would have never bothered to make such a request because all the experts here would tell you it will never happen and you will just piss off some med school, blah, blah, blah...you have figured it out for yourself, and that is the way to do it...

Hey Guys...

I'm interviewing at UVA on Wednesday, but somehow maanaged to leave my packet of info. they sent in the mail in my dormroom back in Louisiana... no good. I booked my hotel/plane tickets when I was first offered the interview, so I don't need info on that, but if anyone has that packet lying around anywhere.. Where exactly am I supposed to be going to check in for the day.. is it just at the Admissions Office and if so does anyone know what building that is in??? Thanks sooo much for any assistance!

Last edited:
My interview information (from back in October, but hopefully still valid) was to report to the Admissions Office at 10:30AM. The office is located on the first floor of McKim Hall (try searching the UVA website for a map). If you are driving, you can park in the 11th Street Parking Garage, and the office will validate your parking ticket for you.

Greonis- Thanks so much!

I'm staying at the Red Roof Inn on W. Main anyone eat any great meals see any cool sites that I should check out on the evening before or after my interview?

red roof inn is at the end of a street that we call "the corner." there's really a series of restaurants on that street. if you're in for something really cheap and quick, there's a good sandwich place Little Johns or Bodo's (i think Bodo's is a must-bagel place. it's open all day. amazing!). If you like Thai food, there's a great place called Lemongrass... or the Mediterranean place called Basil... Japanese place called Sakura. The latter three are all within like 20 steps of each other on 14th Str. Haha there's a lot to eat...

Oh I want an interview at UVA :(

Do guys think it is worth it to spend the night in Charlottesville, or can I just spend the night in Richmond, and go to Charlottesville in the morning?

I think you're fine doing that, especially because UVA's interview day starts much later than most :thumbup:

I Agree with that - if you have to stay in Richmond it shouldn't be a problem. But if you can, I would stay in Charlottesville (especially right around the hospital) to get a feel for the city and the area around UVA.

UVA (and I'm biased) has a very unique feel to its campus (very different from urban and suburban medical schools!) and I'm sure you'll see that during your interview. But definitely stay at the Red Roof Inn or the Marriott and walk around the area, and eat at the local restaurants if you have time - you will not regret it! Plus you could potentially be spending quite a bit of time there, and you'll get to see if that's the sort of environment you would like :cool:! Does that help?

I Agree with that - if you have to stay in Richmond it shouldn't be a problem. But if you can, I would stay in Charlottesville (especially right around the hospital) to get a feel for the city and the area around UVA.

UVA (and I'm biased) has a very unique feel to its campus (very different from urban and suburban medical schools!) and I'm sure you'll see that during your interview. But definitely stay at the Red Roof Inn or the Marriott and walk around the area, and eat at the local restaurants if you have time - you will not regret it! Plus you could potentially be spending quite a bit of time there, and you'll get to see if that's the sort of environment you would like :cool:! Does that help?

Very true... I would love to go to UVA, so I should spend some time there... Sheesh I have been waiting months to interview here.

Three funky monkeys attending UVA??? Remarkable. If I do matriculate, and you funky monkeys do as well, we must find eachother.

Three funky monkeys attending UVA??? Remarkable. If I do matriculate, and you funky monkeys do as well, we must find eachother.

That would be awesome! I surely agree. Now just pray that I get in.:xf:

What email are you sending in-the-area emails to? I also tried calling the admissions office and got a non-working number....

Status
Not open for further replies.