2009-2010 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how do you drive to Alaska, since it is an island? :) :p

Duh, you take the ferry from Hawaii. Everyone knows that.

Members don't see this ad.

We love you that much. Or at least, I do! :love: :laugh:

Level of love dropped a little bit, due to lack of invite.

Level of love may return to previous level, if you take my dog sledding.

So how do you drive to Alaska, since it is an island? :) :p

hahaha you ALL can come to my house and eat smoked salmon! and if you come after august 1st you can have halibut too! haha...just PM me and we will make plans!

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha you ALL can come to my house and eat smoked salmon! and if you come after august 1st you can have halibut too! haha...just PM me and we will make plans!
Halibut are pathetic fish.

Who wants fish with no flavor??? I DO!!!!!

Thanks for the hospitality, though, sleight :)

already done!!!!!:smuggrin: Thats it we have to go to the same med school now end of story ;).

Has everyone received a secondary? I submitted and was verified the end of june but no secondary yet.

Just got this one!!

If you have previously applied to Albany Medical College or another medical school and were not accepted, how have you spent the intervening time? (1,000 character limit)

Describe yourself: (1,000 character limit)

If selected for an interview, what one life experience would you most like to talk about?

Last edited:
you know what's wierd, when I log in, it says, "Welcome, Myfirstname Middlename Lastname", which I'm assuming it nabbed from my AMCAS.

But it has my last name wrong!! It is four letters, and it only has the first and the third letters!!

Like instead of "Name" it has "Nm" as my last name.

I will obviously have to call... but that's pretty stupid :rolleyes:

albany requires 1 additional recommendation for reapplicants. i can't apply here

Do they accept letters sent from Interfolio?

Do they accept letters sent from Interfolio?
I dont know but it says "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]All letters of recommendation must be sent directly to our office by the authors, or your college letter service." Id assume taht means no. I called and left a message ill try to post the answer back if interested. If they dont then im not applying here, im not bothering my teachers to send more letters when they already have, this is the only school im applying to that isnt using the amcas lor service ugh.

EDIT: It also says ".[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica] We will also accept letters posted on Virtual Evaluations." So actually maybe interfolio will be ok...i hope...

Members don't see this ad :)
here are some suggestions i've had fun playing with
"Describe yourself"

"I am laconic"

"I am brave"

i already sent letters via interfolio, why would they care as long as a letter packet comes in the mail?

also: how exactly does one describe themselves in 1000 CHARACTERS???

i already sent letters via interfolio, why would they care as long as a letter packet comes in the mail?

also: how exactly does one describe themselves in 1000 CHARACTERS???
I have no idea, but this is one of the worst prompts ive written so far, hate it. I am ummm awesome...so yah invite me ok? lol

I just got this one too...how to describe myself...uh...really smart?

p.s. koko eats you are no longer invited to our alaskan celebration...(at least not the halibut part...tisk tisk)

I just got this one too...how to describe myself...uh...really smart?

p.s. koko eats you are no longer invited to our alaskan celebration...(at least not the halibut part...tisk tisk)
good more for me!!! :p. As for the describe yourself, i dont think they want you to say like im dedicated to medicine because of X experience, im curious and intelligent and passionate about blah blha blah other bs blah blah. I took it more of a tell us why you are interesting type of essay. I could be wrong but just my 2 cents since i know a lot of people are going to be confused on this essay,

good more for me!!! :p. As for the describe yourself, i dont think they want you to say like im dedicated to medicine because of X experience, im curious and intelligent and passionate about blah blha blah other bs blah blah. I took it more of a tell us why you are interesting type of essay. I could be wrong but just my 2 cents since i know a lot of people are going to be confused on this essay,

I would use your response for "tell us about yourself"....but for "describe yourself" I think of "a scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly....."

I don't think there are any wrong answers :)

I would use your response for "tell us about yourself"....but for "describe yourself" I think of "a scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly....."

I don't think there are any wrong answers :)
so you are thinking more along the lines of giving X characteristics then saying how you exemplify X characteristics? Also maybe its my esl skills kicking in but isnt describe yourself and tell us about yourself the same thing? I really hate this question...-_-

Last edited:
so you are thinking more along the lines of giving X characteristics then saying how you exemplify X characteristics? Also maybe its my esl skills kicking in but isnt describe yourself and tell us about yourself the same thing? I really hate this question...-_-

When I see or hear describe I think of adjectives. I think that "tell us" is looking for uniqueness. That is just my interpretation. I'm pretty sure there will be hundreds of interpretations to this prompt and I don't think many of them will be wrong.

What are all of those without SDN going to do without guidance on prompts? :laugh:

PS-FWIW I couldn't tell you are ESL by how you write on the boads

haha there will be PLENTY my parents are out getting more now...haha they are addicted to fishing i swear...i just eat it haha

lol ive been away for a bit - thank you for the invite, i am so in! yay for no koko, more for me and elijah fo sho! :highfive:

even tho, i can out eat you. so be scared :smuggrin:

sleight! better let me kno where u go to med school. ill be comin to say hello! :p

Is anyone reading this "describe yourself" prompt as being a condense form of a personal statement? That's how I'm approaching the prompt.... just curious if anyone else is doing the same..

Is anyone reading this "describe yourself" prompt as being a condense form of a personal statement? That's how I'm approaching the prompt.... just curious if anyone else is doing the same..

Or pick something about you that has not been presented anywhere in your application. I think either idea is totally acceptable.

LOL good luck doing that in such short space. i just tried to describe my basic values.

LOL good luck doing that in such short space. i just tried to describe my basic values.

Yeah, I guess that's pretty much what I'll end up doing as well. But values are just a bunch of adjectives describing oneself and there isn't much space to provide much evidence backing up the things that you're claiming about yourself. "I value being dedicated in my work, fancy pants academic pursuits, and serving humanity.... blah, blah, blah...". This prompt is lame...

Yeah, I guess that's pretty much what I'll end up doing as well. But values are just a bunch of adjectives describing oneself and there isn't much space to provide much evidence backing up the things that you're claiming about yourself. "I value being dedicated in my work, fancy pants academic pursuits, and serving humanity.... blah, blah, blah...". This prompt is lame...

Please PLEASE put fancy pants academic pursuits in there!! If that doesn't get you an interview, I would be surprised :p

Please PLEASE put fancy pants academic pursuits in there!! If that doesn't get you an interview, I would be surprised :p
I just wanted to say you give the greatest advice on this board :highfive::smuggrin:

Uh oh guys... I wrote 5'11", brown hair, hazel eyes, athletic build, 6% body fat, 18" inch biceps, 235lbs max bench

Should I call the admissions office and clear this up?

I called and they said they screen out anything lower than 235... looks like I just made the cut!

DANG IT! I put 225 because I was trying to be modest...there go my chances!

heheh nooooo i :love: you for inviting me to your cool parties! And yes, this makes up for being weak :p

we are all going to have to keep in touch and figure out what schools we go to! that would be fun!

I recently filled out the secondary for Albany and I am still a little confused. Do they receive LOR through AMCAS or do I have to submit it to them myself?

I recently filled out the secondary for Albany and I am still a little confused. Do they receive LOR through AMCAS or do I have to submit it to them myself?

they do not receive through AMCAS.. u either have to assign them on virtualevals or w/e, or send them directly to AMS

we are all going to have to keep in touch and figure out what schools we go to! that would be fun!

You are kinda spposta tell me where anyway, so I can come by and try out the menu offered by Chef Sleight!

I don't care how things work out. Sleight, I'm going home with you ;):D

ok whatever happens everybody has to come to alaska at some point! im getting married up here next summer so you can all crash my wedding haha

(There will be plenty of salmon at the wedding!!)

ok whatever happens everybody has to come to alaska at some point! im getting married up here next summer so you can all crash my wedding haha

(There will be plenty of salmon at the wedding!!)

yay wedding crashing! congrats sleight :) btw your new avatar is super cute :p

Status
Not open for further replies.