2009-2010 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if we can only list the activities from our AMCAS application or can we list those that aren't on there too?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if we can only list the activities from our AMCAS application or can we list those that aren't on there too?

I only listed the activities that were mentioned in my AMCAS... I initially added others but with this:

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]"In your AMCAS application you had the opportunity to list all of your many activities. To help us focus our attention on those that were most meaningful to you, please identify up to three in each of the categories listed below."

It seems as though they just want us to categorize the activities even more than they were on AMCAS. I go with only what is mentioned in AMCAS.

I only listed the activities that were mentioned in my AMCAS... I initially added others but with this:

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]"In your AMCAS application you had the opportunity to list all of your many activities. To help us focus our attention on those that were most meaningful to you, please identify up to three in each of the categories listed below."

It seems as though they just want us to categorize the activities even more than they were on AMCAS. I go with only what is mentioned in AMCAS.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

Same here. I only put the ones from AMCAS.

For the "Estimate your hours" section, what should I put for my research? Info:

I was a lab assistant for 2 years (racked up ~1200 hours).

Since last September '08, I have been doing my own project (not an "assistant" anymore), and I have racked up about ~700 hours and counting.

So should I list 700 hours for my research, or list 1900 hours?

Thanks!

Anyone? Thanks.

Anyone? Thanks.

I listed it all under "Research Assistant" and totaled the hours (so for yours, I'd put 1900)

My reasoning: even though I was working on my own project/Thesis, I was still working for the prof, so technically assisting the prof in a project..

..does that make any sense at all? :p

So are you listing them together as one activity? Or separately as two? Or is that the question?

I listed it all under "Research Assistant" and totaled the hours (so for yours, I'd put 1900)

My reasoning: even though I was working on my own project/Thesis, I was still working for the prof, so technically assisting the prof in a project..

..does that make any sense at all? :p

Well, on my AMCAS, I seperated the two activities. So I guess I can't put down 1900 hours...

Well, on my AMCAS, I seperated the two activities. So I guess I can't put down 1900 hours...

If I listed them separately on AMCAS, I would list them separately on the secondary and put the individual number of hours.

If there aren't enough spaces in that particular category, then I would consider listing them together but doing it very explicitly. Just my opinion though.

so my status shows everything received including letters of recomendation, but there is still a no by "application complete and ready for review." Its been like this for a week or two should I worry or am I just being an anal premed

so my status shows everything received including letters of recomendation, but there is still a no by "application complete and ready for review." Its been like this for a week or two should I worry or am I just being an anal premed

I was the same way for over a week and I just turned complete today. When I called last week they said they had everything, but still needed to process it. I wouldn't worry.

I feel like my response to the "describe yourself" question is random...like I'm mentioning things about myself that don't really have anything to do with each other, which I think is inevitable when it comes to this question. Anyone else feel that way?

I feel like my response to the "describe yourself" question is random...like I'm mentioning things about myself that don't really have anything to do with each other, which I think is inevitable when it comes to this question. Anyone else feel that way?

I just used my "diversity" essay. I think it's better if you have some flow of thought, some kind of theme to build on.

Members don't see this ad :)

my status was like this too for about 2 weeks. as of yesterday, i have been switched over to complete. i submitted on 7/26

my status was like this too for about 2 weeks. as of yesterday, i have been switched over to complete. i submitted on 7/26

I emailed them several days ago and they said my application was complete but it takes a while for the website to reflect this. My status was changed to complete yesterday, as some others have noted, so they probably do website updates in bunches as well. Just sit tight.

I submitted my supplemental just recently, and my status is listed as
pending Certified supplemental application received
pending Supplemental application fee received/AMCAS fee waiver granted
I was just wondering how long it took to be "yes" instead of "pending" for everyone? And has anyone heard anything once they were complete? I read down a ways and it doesn't look like anybody's gotten interviews or even heard beyond complete.

I was just wondering how long it took to be "yes" instead of "pending" for everyone? And has anyone heard anything once they were complete? I read down a ways and it doesn't look like anybody's gotten interviews or even heard beyond complete.

Should take a few days for the application & payment to change status, depends on how busy the office is. And I don't think anybody has heard anything yet. You don't get any kind of email of completion, just a change on the status page.

Should take a few days for the application & payment to change status, depends on how busy the office is. And I don't think anybody has heard anything yet. You don't get any kind of email of completion, just a change on the status page.

Cool, thanks a lot!

I got no confirmation for the submission of my secondary app when I hit the "certify" button...it just took me to a draft version of my app...is that normal? I ended up clicking certify again and it took me to the same page....does that mean I submitted my secondary twice :scared: ?

I got no confirmation for the submission of my secondary app when I hit the "certify" button...it just took me to a draft version of my app...is that normal? I ended up clicking certify again and it took me to the same page....does that mean I submitted my secondary twice :scared: ?
been awhile since i did it...but was one of them kinda a "print preview" and then you look it over and then certify for sure?

i vaguely remember doing that for a school...could be this one.

been awhile since i did it...but was one of them kinda a "print preview" and then you look it over and then certify for sure?

i vaguely remember doing that for a school...could be this one.

EDIT: nvm, just hit certify again and it led me to the "congratulations..." page. It must've been an error before. Thanks!

I don't think they do either, but more IS go there because IS are more likely to apply.

Very cool! :)

When were you complete? Just to have an idea how much more nail-biting my poor fingers will have to endure.

Hmmm ... I submitted my AMC secondary application on July23rd, but my VirtualEvals were not uploaded until the end of July. Most schools have me being verified and complete around the 2-4th of August, but Albany never sent me a complete email so sometime around then?

congrats to those with interview invites!

Are you people who were given interview invites in state or out of state?

Any idea how much my stats of a 3.2/3.3/34 (science/cumulative/MCAT) will hold me back from getting an interview at this school, considering that I feel the rest of my application is solid in all other aspects? The average accepted stats are 3.5/3.6/31. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.. thanks guys!

Any idea how much my stats of a 3.2/3.3/34 (science/cumulative/MCAT) will hold me back from getting an interview at this school, considering that I feel the rest of my application is solid in all other aspects? The average accepted stats are 3.5/3.6/31. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.. thanks guys!

I think it would certainly behoove you to apply. My stats are lower than this, but I also did get a master's and am now 2 years out so I'm semi non-trad. I know a lot of people with lower stats who have been interviewed here and it seems like a great school.
O, and I am IS, but Albany does not give pref to in staters although obviously more apply so the population of the school does reflect that.

It blows that they aren't using the AMCAS letter service. Oh wellz, submitted this puppy, hopefully my letters get there soon.:)

I think it would certainly behoove you to apply. My stats are lower than this, but I also did get a master's and am now 2 years out so I'm semi non-trad. I know a lot of people with lower stats who have been interviewed here and it seems like a great school.
O, and I am IS, but Albany does not give pref to in staters although obviously more apply so the population of the school does reflect that.

Thanks for your helpful input! Best of luck getting accepted! :luck:

Interview invite via email today. This is my first one out of 20 finished secondaries, so I'm pretty relieved.

OOS, submitted: 7/27, complete: 8/11, invite: 8/25

The status page doesn't change, but on the main menu a new link called "Interview Packet and Response Form" comes up underneath the "Application Status" link.

For those with invites, what are your MCAT scores and GPA's looking like?

ss 8/6, no complete email, ii 8/25 by email, i 9/24, OOS
s3.3, c3.5, 35R

anybody know about the student host program here? nothing came up when i set my interview date. i tried emailing the student host coord, but email bounced back. anyone else have luck with this? i'm trying to save some money by staying with student host.

ss 8/6, no complete email, ii 8/25 by email, i 9/24, OOS
s3.3, c3.5, 35R

anybody know about the student host program here? nothing came up when i set my interview date. i tried emailing the student host coord, but email bounced back. anyone else have luck with this? i'm trying to save some money by staying with student host.

The student welcome letter says that student housing is not available on 9/23, along with several other dates.

For listing "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Extracurricular Activities (during college and post-college)", would it be alright to list activities we started before college and continued during college? E.g., a sport that was continued from high school through college? Or should we only include hours while in college..?

For listing "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Extracurricular Activities (during college and post-college)", would it be alright to list activities we started before college and continued during college? E.g., a sport that was continued from high school through college? Or should we only include hours while in college..?

I would say only college.

For listing "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Extracurricular Activities (during college and post-college)", would it be alright to list activities we started before college and continued during college? E.g., a sport that was continued from high school through college? Or should we only include hours while in college..?.

I put in my sports only for college even though I played in high school as well

This school is really making me worried. I submitted my secondary on 8/5, and I'm still not complete. :(

I have "yes" next to my statuses but a "no" next to Complete. Did anyone else submit it early Aug, and if so are you guys complete yet?

This school is really making me worried. I submitted my secondary on 8/5, and I'm still not complete. :(

I have "yes" next to my statuses but a "no" next to Complete. Did anyone else submit it early Aug, and if so are you guys complete yet?

I submitted at the end of July, and yea, there's a bit of lag in getting your status page updated. Wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email though, they're pretty quick in responding.

How can I include the work I will be doing during my gap year on Albany's secondary application??

Can you group on the Secondary application for the activities like with AMCAS? Such as, can i group my work as a babysitter with when i was a camp counselor.. since they are both working with kids?
Or group my varsity basketball with working out at the gym?
If I clcik save for Albany's secondary application, can I come back to it and work on it later, or does Save mean that I am submitting it?
Thanks

How can I include the work I will be doing during my gap year on Albany's secondary application??

Can you group on the Secondary application for the activities like with AMCAS? Such as, can i group my work as a babysitter with when i was a camp counselor.. since they are both working with kids?
Or group my varsity basketball with working out at the gym?

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.