2009-2010 Cornell University (Weill Medical College) Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an interview feedback page for Cornell? I could not find one...

I believe so, use the "find" function on your browser to search for the school's name while your at the interview feedback page. Also, I think it's probably listed under Weill Cornell or some such.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When are you supposed to send letters of interest to a medical school? I thought that was reserved for waitlists and such?
 
I believe so, use the "find" function on your browser to search for the school's name while your at the interview feedback page. Also, I think it's probably listed under Weill Cornell or some such.


thanks! found it under Joan and Sanford I. Weill Medical College at Cornell University
 
Sent an "in the area" email, got a invite 20 minutes later. Personalized email too. 👍

hmmmm... do we think i should send an "in the area" email?

Dear Cornell,

I will be "in the area" of your school 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the foreseeable future. I would really appreciate it if you could interview me now so as to make my subway and MTA bus travel arrangements simpler and cheaper. Thanks a million!

Love,
dw2158
 
hmmmm... do we think i should send an "in the area" email?

Dear Cornell,

I will be "in the area" of your school 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the foreseeable future. I would really appreciate it if you could interview me now so as to make my subway and MTA bus travel arrangements simpler and cheaper. Thanks a million!

Love,
dw2158


haha totally dw
I work at MSKCC, I think I should too.
Dear Cornell,
I will be a block away from your school every day from 9 to 5. Please interview me as I walk past your school every day on my way to work and again on my way home, this will make my life easier.
K THX
 
i sent an "in the area" email on Wednesday and got an interview invite Friday evening, but it wasn't at the same time as my other NYC interviews so I'm not sure it really helped.

I'm really excited about this school, it's definitely my top choice and I can't wait to interview there!
 
i sent an "in the area" email on Wednesday and got an interview invite Friday evening, but it wasn't at the same time as my other NYC interviews so I'm not sure it really helped.

I'm really excited about this school, it's definitely my top choice and I can't wait to interview there!

oy, that is unfortunate. but congrats on the interview nonetheless!
 
So I sent an "in the area" email to a school that was ~500 miles away from where I live. I'm taking the plane (~$120) for another interview. They emailed me back telling me to suck it up. I wasn't too happy.

phoenix: doesn't that then defeat the whole purpose of an "in the area" email?

I love Cornell...their secondary email, I think, even specifically said to tell them if we had interviews in the area so that they could accommodate us.
 
So I sent an "in the area" email to a school that was ~500 miles away from where I live. I'm taking the plane (~$120) for another interview. They emailed me back telling me to suck it up. I wasn't too happy.

phoenix: doesn't that then defeat the whole purpose of an "in the area" email?

I love Cornell...their secondary email, I think, even specifically said to tell them if we had interviews in the area so that they could accommodate us.

yeah it really does, but luckily i have another interview for nymc which i might be able to schedule at the same time. also, the other time i'm going to nyc i have 3 consecutive (i.e. monday, tuesday, wednesday in philly) interviews and it's in late october. i know cornell isn't rolling, but i still feel like going early = better. even if that's not the case, I don't want to do Cornell after 3 other interviews in the same trip cuz i'm pretty sure i'll end up hating the whole process by then lol. cornell will be my 3rd interview so i think i'll still be excited about interviewing and yet won't be inexperienced.

also, any excuse to visit new york right?😀
 
yeah it really does, but luckily i have another interview for nymc which i might be able to schedule at the same time. also, the other time i'm going to nyc i have 3 consecutive (i.e. monday, tuesday, wednesday in philly) interviews and it's in late october. i know cornell isn't rolling, but i still feel like going early = better. even if that's not the case, I don't want to do Cornell after 3 other interviews in the same trip cuz i'm pretty sure i'll end up hating the whole process by then lol. cornell will be my 3rd interview so i think i'll still be excited about interviewing and yet won't be inexperienced.

also, any excuse to visit new york right?😀

NYMC is very flexible when it comes to changing dates...they did it for me - don't send an email, call them.
 
NYMC is very flexible when it comes to changing dates...they did it for me - don't send an email, call them.

thanks for the advice! i'm waiting to hear back from cornell about my interview date so i can schedule my nymc interview, so hopefully nymc doesn't get too mad that i waited so long before contacting them
 
yeah it really does, but luckily i have another interview for nymc which i might be able to schedule at the same time. also, the other time i'm going to nyc i have 3 consecutive (i.e. monday, tuesday, wednesday in philly) interviews and it's in late october. i know cornell isn't rolling, but i still feel like going early = better. even if that's not the case, I don't want to do Cornell after 3 other interviews in the same trip cuz i'm pretty sure i'll end up hating the whole process by then lol. cornell will be my 3rd interview so i think i'll still be excited about interviewing and yet won't be inexperienced.

also, any excuse to visit new york right?😀

If you decide you want to change I called the number they gave in the email and said that none of those dates work for me and asked for a specific date at the end of October and the lady was super nice. Didn't make a big deal out of it at all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you decide you want to change I called the number they gave in the email and said that none of those dates work for me and asked for a specific date at the end of October and the lady was super nice. Didn't make a big deal out of it at all.

hmmm I didn't even think about that. You guys think it matters for Cornell when you interview? They say they're non-rolling and that they start accepting applicants in December. I am going to New York at the end of October and would prefer just doing all my interviews at once.

Actually, thinking about it, two weeks probably wouldn't make much of a difference. I'll call them tomorrow and ask to schedule it at the end of october. Maybe I'll see you there casillas
 
I booked a hotel within walking distance (I hope!) to the med school. Now how do I get from Weill Cornell to La Guardia? Is there a specific shuttle that runs by? Do I take the taxi? And yes, you have permission to laugh at my transportation-challenged CA butt.
 
hmmm I didn't even think about that. You guys think it matters for Cornell when you interview? They say they're non-rolling and that they start accepting applicants in December. I am going to New York at the end of October and would prefer just doing all my interviews at once.

Actually, thinking about it, two weeks probably wouldn't make much of a difference. I'll call them tomorrow and ask to schedule it at the end of october. Maybe I'll see you there casillas

you may or you may not... we will never know. it's my policy to never reveal myself 🙂 And i am also interviewing at NYMC hopefully the same week... so we may see each other there too. (they are not being very helpful with working with my schedule.)
 
According to USNews.com, 67% of last year's entering class were non-traditional students. Maybe I've got a shot!
 
According to USNews.com, 67% of last year's entering class were non-traditional students. Maybe I've got a shot!
Cornell really likes non-trad students. A good percentage of our class this year are non-trads and the average is 24 I think.
 
1st interview coming up really soon...:scared:

I'll be staying with a student host. Can I sit in on classes the day before my interview? Do I need to ask Admissions for permission?
 
hmmmm... do we think i should send an "in the area" email?

Dear Cornell,

I will be "in the area" of your school 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the foreseeable future. I would really appreciate it if you could interview me now so as to make my subway and MTA bus travel arrangements simpler and cheaper. Thanks a million!

Love,
dw2158

I can relate as I'm not getting much in the way of hometown love myself.
 
I booked a hotel within walking distance (I hope!) to the med school. Now how do I get from Weill Cornell to La Guardia? Is there a specific shuttle that runs by? Do I take the taxi? And yes, you have permission to laugh at my transportation-challenged CA butt.

you can take a taxi, but i see no point if you want to save money and have a bit of extra time to take the subway/bus.

take the 6 train from 68th st and lexington ave to 125th st and lexington ave. then take the M60 bus, which goes directly to LGA.
 
Thank you soooo much!! The Kimpton Hotel is unavailable for the days I need, but the street numbers you gave me puts me on the right track. I'm trying to find a hotel that's either within walking distance or a cab ride away. My California butt cannot deal with trains/subways/anything with more than 4 wheels. And I'll definitely send out my request for the Student Hosting. Thanks again.


I have an interview at Cornell as well, but I didn't see anything in my emails about a student hosting program. I'm definitely interested in staying with a student host though. Do you have to call the Office of Admissions directly for this?
 
you can take a taxi, but i see no point if you want to save money and have a bit of extra time to take the subway/bus.

take the 6 train from 68th st and lexington ave to 125th st and lexington ave. then take the M60 bus, which goes directly to LGA.

thanks!!
 
I have an interview at Cornell as well, but I didn't see anything in my emails about a student hosting program. I'm definitely interested in staying with a student host though. Do you have to call the Office of Admissions directly for this?

yes, you can call Admissions. i called them to schedule my interview, and at the same time, i asked about student hosts. they sent me an email asking for more info about my flight & date of arrival, etc. and then sent my request off to students. took about a week until admissions sent me the contact info of one student willing to host me.
 
yes, you can call Admissions. i called them to schedule my interview, and at the same time, i asked about student hosts. they sent me an email asking for more info about my flight & date of arrival, etc. and then sent my request off to students. took about a week until admissions sent me the contact info of one student willing to host me.


Thanks!
 
So, I emailed them and received an in-area interview too. I am wondering, Do you just get one automatically if yr interviewing in New York from a far away place? Or do they first screen your file to make sure they actually want to spend time on you? Sounds like everyone on this board so far has just gotten one automatically. I'm gonna take this opportunity and make them want me, but I guess part of me wants to know that I didn't just invite myself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, I don't think you get an auto in-area invite.

I sent an email, and they did respond and said something like "We understand completely. We'll look over your file and get back to you as soon as we know something."

Still no word other than that, but I really appreciate how helpful and understanding these admissions offices are about the whole process we're going through. 👍
 
Cornell really likes non-trad students. A good percentage of our class this year are non-trads and the average is 24 I think.

That's really comforting, I turned 25 in May. Do you know if your classmates, generally, had research experience prior to matriculating? I'm trying to determine how much stock Weill puts into research since I haven't had the opportunity yet (I left my job as an engineer a year ago to take pre-med courses).
 
I haven't received the email for the secondaries yet, so I tried to start on the website but it's telling me that my AAMC ID doesn't match my birthday! Do I have to wait until I receive the email to start the secondary??? 😕
 
I'm going to be interviewing at Columbia within the next 3 weeks. Do you think it would be a good idea to ask Cornell if I can interview when I'm around even though they haven't invited me? Could it hurt? I'm worried that I'll annoy them by asking.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to be interviewing at Columbia within the next 3 weeks. Do you think it would be a good idea to ask Cornell if I can interview when I'm around even though they haven't invited me? Could it hurt? I'm worried that I'll annoy them by asking.


I think that's fine. They actually ask you to do that in their "application complete" email. Here's the excerpt: If you have been invited to interview at a medical school in New York City or its vicinity, send us an e-mail message letting us know the exact dates you will be here. If you plan to spend time abroad during the interview season, let us know the dates you will be in the US.

Hopefully, you'll have another interview coming your way!! :xf:
 
I think that's fine. They actually ask you to do that in their "application complete" email. Here's the excerpt: If you have been invited to interview at a medical school in New York City or its vicinity, send us an e-mail message letting us know the exact dates you will be here. If you plan to spend time abroad during the interview season, let us know the dates you will be in the US.

Hopefully, you'll have another interview coming your way!! :xf:

Interesting. I never noticed that in the complete email before. I think they're the only medical school that I've seen explicitly state to ask for an interview if you're in the area, perhaps because NYC is one of the only cities with 4 medical schools. It'd be awesome to get an interview from Cornell at the same time.
 
Interesting. I never noticed that in the complete email before. I think they're the only medical school that I've seen explicitly state to ask for an interview if you're in the area, perhaps because NYC is one of the only cities with 4 medical schools. It'd be awesome to get an interview from Cornell at the same time.

Also, all the schools in the area are of similar caliber and there's prob a huge overlap of applicants.
 
I have finally mustered the courage to submit my cornell secondary, which I know it's stupid to hold on to till now, but it is my dream school, and I just couldn't send it out, and place it in the hands of fate. 😳
 
forgot to post this yesterday-- interview invite here! will be there on 10/1, anyone else? complete 7/22/09. yay!
 
I think that's fine. They actually ask you to do that in their "application complete" email. Here's the excerpt: If you have been invited to interview at a medical school in New York City or its vicinity, send us an e-mail message letting us know the exact dates you will be here. If you plan to spend time abroad during the interview season, let us know the dates you will be in the US.

Hopefully, you'll have another interview coming your way!! :xf:

I was thinking about doing this for Cornell/NYU as well. I have back-to-back interviews at Columbia and Sinai already, so I thought it'd be easier to just do them all in one shot.

I live in Philly though, so it's less of a travel problem for me (although, still annoying to be hiking back and forth to NYC when I work 50 hours/week). Think I should ask or just wait for an interview invitation?
 
lol man, it costs like $20 and 4 hours total to go to and from philly to nyc, but i guess it doesnt hurt though

wouldnt it hurt you a lot more to stay at nyc for a longer period of time. you can easily take the bus from philly at 5 am and make it to nyc w/ enough time for whatever. or even drive or nj transit. it would cost you so much more to stay in NYC
 
So I hear Cornell Medical School is in Manhattan, but the main university is in Ithaca? Strange.

Wonder what the reasons are for that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I hear Cornell Medical School is in Manhattan, but the main university is in Ithaca? Strange.

Wonder what the reasons are for that.

obviously because NYC is way cooler than upstate 😛
seriously though, i have no idea.

anyone else gonna be there on october 1? i can't remember if i already asked this, so sorry if it's a repeat
 
obviously because NYC is way cooler than upstate 😛
seriously though, i have no idea.

anyone else gonna be there on october 1? i can't remember if i already asked this, so sorry if it's a repeat

Oh absolutely, I don't disagree with that at all. But why not just move all of Cornell? Kidding!
 
So I hear Cornell Medical School is in Manhattan, but the main university is in Ithaca? Strange.

Wonder what the reasons are for that.

The med school campus has to be in the city because there is absolutely nothing in Ithaca besides Cornell College... that would be a really crummy set of rotations

Oh absolutely, I don't disagree with that at all. But why not just move all of Cornell? Kidding!

Cornell College was created first, so once it came time to build the med school, they had to create it in the city, but obviously they can't move the undergrad to the city as well. As to why they chose Ithaca for the undergrad university, I have no idea....

i'm guessing your clinical opportunities in ithaca aren't great?

True.

well lots of schools are in location where your clinical opportunities would be less than "great" according to those standards... take NYMC, for example. or UVM.

But Ithaca is waaaaay in the boonies, prob in a worse location (in regards to med school clinical opportunities) than most other places
 
Status
Not open for further replies.