2009-2010 Louisiana State University New Orleans Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know, but I would like them soon so that I could start prepping a budget and stuff for apartment rentals, etc.

Yeah that's really the main reason why I want to know. I like to have all my budget stuff in order. It makes me wonder if they are waiting on the letters until the 2010-2011 tuition is finalized.

On a side note, I went to New Orleans yesterday on a whim with the g/f and checked out some apartments (including that new 930 Poydras place). I would have called you and asked if you wanted to come, if it wasn't on such short notice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So as far as living expenses go. For the first year, the COA is just the 9 months living expenses (17739) and then for the next couple of years the 12 month living expenses is used, right?

I don't know any other reason that there would be two separate designations for the living expenses.
 
So as far as living expenses go. For the first year, the COA is just the 9 months living expenses (17739) and then for the next couple of years the 12 month living expenses is used, right?

I don't know any other reason that there would be two separate designations for the living expenses.

I feel like it is 9 months for 1st year, then 10 months, 11 months, and 10 months.
 
Who knows?

They need to get rolling on this **** now, I'm sure we're all getting pretty aggravated. Especially those with choices to make.

The finaid office is a big hot mess right now. The latest financial aid bill changed everything and they aren't known for being great at adapting to anything. They have already warned us that our aid will be later than usual (usual is two weeks to one month after classes start fyi). Plan ahead yall, come with some cash in the bank for books and living expenses.
 
Don't expect to get any firm numbers. First and second year include about the same amount of living expenses. Third and fourth year you get about $5000 increase for USMLE, aways, and interviews. If you live reasonable lifestyle, you will be more than fine with what the living expenses calculated to be. I easily lived in the Warehouse district without help.
 
So there's no place where I can find one of those pre-determined budgets with the recommended amount of money allocated to certain things? UVA gave us that stuff at the interview before anybody was even in yet.
 
This is from my financial aid statement this past year
(L2)
Tuition will be 10% more and housing is for one month more than first year

Books and Supplies- $3441
Student and Activities Fee- $914
Housing- $21681
Loan Fees- $302
Personal/Misc- $1751
Tuition- $13115

Total Budget 41,204
 
Last edited:
This is from my financial aid statement this past year
(L2)
Tuition will be 10% more and housing is for one month more than first year

Books and Supplies- $3441
Student and Activities Fee- $914
Housing- $21681
Loan Fees- $302
Personal/Misc- $1751
Tuition- $13115

Total Budget 41,204

Thank you so much! 👍

Once again, you come through with great stuff. :bow:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm pretty sure they met on the 7th (every third Friday). I'm expecting to hear this week.
I hope so too :xf: but I would'nt be surprised if they waited until next week to meet to see how many seats they need to fill. But who knows?
 
Last edited:
Instead of studying I searched for old NO threads, and in 2005 it seems like everyone got letters after the 15th. That was 5 years ago, but it seems reasonable that the committee would still follow the same timetable.

EDIT: And then in last year's thread, people were accepted from around this week until July. So basically, I don't know anything, and be ready for a letter whenever.
 
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they met on the 7th (every third Friday). I'm expecting to hear this week.
I don't think they'd meet on the 7th, and then meet again a week later... i wouldn't expect to hear anything til after the 15th (with the committee possibly meeting on the 14th, and at the latest, on the 17th)

i could be all wrong tho. so who knows.
 
Just got an email this morning from Mrs. Stuckey telling me I have been accepted and due to the time constraints they were informing me via email and mailing my letter today. So they must have met recently.
However now I have to decide on Shreveport or New Orleans. Which is the better school guys?

I don't think they'd meet on the 7th, and then meet again a week later... i wouldn't expect to hear anything til after the 15th (with the committee possibly meeting on the 14th, and at the latest, on the 17th)

i could be all wrong tho. so who knows.
 
Just got an email this morning from Mrs. Stuckey telling me I have been accepted and due to the time constraints they were informing me via email and mailing my letter today. So they must have met recently.
However now I have to decide on Shreveport or New Orleans. Which is the better school guys?

Congrats, I'll be checking my email every second now. Good to know the timing though. It's mostly a matter of location, not much difference between the schools, I've heard great things from Shreveport in recent years but there's nothing wrong with NO.
 
Congrats, I'll be checking my email every second now. Good to know the timing though. It's mostly a matter of location, not much difference between the schools, I've heard great things from Shreveport in recent years but there's nothing wrong with NO.
Bds, don't you have an acceptance to Shreve? If so, no need to stress :laugh:
 
For the school or for the location?

From what I hear the schools are similar, and each has its pros and cons with no clear winner. I'm just born and raised in NOLA, and if you haven't heard, we never leave. My whole life (family, girlfriend, friends, SAINTS) is there, I'd rather not move 5 hours away. It's mostly just a bummer because I've worked so hard to get the grades to make it there and I'm being held out (so far).
 
From what I hear the schools are similar, and each has its pros and cons with no clear winner. I'm just born and raised in NOLA, and if you haven't heard, we never leave. My whole life (family, girlfriend, friends, SAINTS) is there, I'd rather not move 5 hours away. It's mostly just a bummer because I've worked so hard to get the grades to make it there and I'm being held out (so far).
I see, and there will still be acceptances given out. Have you considered emailing Dr. Eubanks to let him know that you have been accepted into Shreveport but that you still maintain interest into NOLA? Might help you out if the committee knows you're a guaranteed acceptee.
 
I see, and there will still be acceptances given out. Have you considered emailing Dr. Eubanks to let him know that you have been accepted into Shreveport but that you still maintain interest into NOLA? Might help you out if the committee knows you're a guaranteed acceptee.

I let two of my interviewers know that I'd been accepted to Shreve (in OCTOBER!) but I'd be in NO if they accepted me. The admissions office there makes me really nervous to try and contact them, but either way I don't see that being a deciding factor especially after all of this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I let two of my interviewers know that I'd been accepted to Shreve (in OCTOBER!) but I'd be in NO if they accepted me. The admissions office there makes me really nervous to try and contact them, but either way I don't see that being a deciding factor especially after all of this.
Yeah, I would wait until May 15th and if you don't hear anything, at least send an email. Like you said, it wouldn't hurt.
 
For those waiting to hear about fin. aid, I spoke to someone this afternoon, and they mentioned that packages/rewards wouldn't be ready until June. With the exception of a few, minor scholarships, expect mostly Stafford loans.
 
For those waiting to hear about fin. aid, I spoke to someone this afternoon, and they mentioned that packages/rewards wouldn't be ready until June. With the exception of a few, minor scholarships, expect mostly Stafford loans.

Thanks for the update.

That is incredibly late, though, and doesn't give me much hope about the organization/timeliness of the administration in the future. It's hard to make a decision with no information and it reflects poorly on them. 🙄
 
Last edited:
no and now i'm getting even more nervous than before.

I hate the feeling. Today was the first acceptance I received, so up until ab 11 oclock this morning, I was in your shoes. However, there will still be some movement as people who may have received two late acceptances from Shreveport and NOLA will have to choose. Also, those still holding out of state seats still have a week to decide. Stay confident :xf:
 
yeah, i'm nervous too... Guess i should start planning my next year like i won't get in. I know the 15th hasn't rolled around yet but can't be too optimistic anymore....
 
Yeah I am getting really nervous. I expected spots to open up after the 15th but surprised to hear they are already sending them out! Congrats though, very exciting! 👍👍👍
 
Yeah I am getting really nervous. I expected spots to open up after the 15th but surprised to hear they are already sending them out! Congrats though, very exciting! 👍👍👍

yes congrats!! i'm guessing that they already made the waitlist and Dr. Eubanks said usually the top 20 from that list get accepted each year. so right now it's :xf: that our names are on the top of that list!!
 
I wonder what they mean by time constraints...
the email says "...time contstraints due to graduation, planning, living arrangements, employment, etc..."
So I guess they're saying they realize that you may have been beginning to and/or waiting to make other plans so they wanted to let you know ASAP. I'm appreciative cause I hated waiting for my dad to call everyday saying I got a letter in the mail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed in March too and havent (ditto- hopefully yet) gotten anything. I am wondering if I should email my interviewers and tell them that NOLA is my primary choice (I sent in my deposit for Shreveport) or if I should just leave it alone?
 
You should probably just express that you're still interested despite your acceptance to Shreveport. I'm not sure how this will hurt or help you but persistence is definitely not a bad idea. I mean the committee may think, well you're a good catch and you seem very committed into being in this class so you wouldn't give up your seat or they may put someone else in your place who really needs a spot-depends on what factors they consider. Hoping for the best for you of course!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.