2009-2010 Louisiana State University New Orleans Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had some REALLY funny guys on the March 17th interview, it was SUPER funny. I heard this one guy tell me what he heard Dr. Kennedy at LSU Shreveport ask in an interview, ' describe in 1 sentence why you want to be a doctor, and it's got to be unique, it can't be something that everybody else says,' ahahahahahah! How intimidating!!!

lol, usually its "say something unique about you". idk if id be able to sum why i wanna be a doc in a sentence. dr.kennedy's awesome tho
 
Is anybody thinking of going to the Camp Tiger auction thing tomorrow night?

I was thinking about going and wanted to see if anybody here was or anybody else had any thoughts, opinions, etc.

It's a fun time. Last year, we had some pretty good restaurants catering, and you can get some semi-decent stuff for a steal. I saw most of the professors there as well, so maybe you can get in some schmooze time if you want =)
 
It's a fun time. Last year, we had some pretty good restaurants catering, and you can get some semi-decent stuff for a steal. I saw most of the professors there as well, so maybe you can get in some schmooze time if you want =)

Well I am all about free food. 👍

Can we bring someone? Or are the tickets just for you?

I like how I'm using this thread as an info board. 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is a little of topic but are entering students drug tested? Or do they wait until your 3rd year?
 
yeah im pretty sure you have a drug test before you start school. at most medical schools, id say

I know that some med schools do, but I don't think that most do. I know Shreveport drug tests, but that's the only school I've ever heard of that drug tests. I don't go to LSU-NO, but I definitely was not drug tested at my school either. A billion PPDs, but no drug test.
 
I know that some med schools do, but I don't think that most do. I know Shreveport drug tests, but that's the only school I've ever heard of that drug tests. I don't go to LSU-NO, but I definitely was not drug tested at my school either. A billion PPDs, but no drug test.

oh. my bad! lol. i was actually thinking of shreveport when i posted that.
to the poster that asked the question, dont listen to me. haha
 
have most of you that have been accepted to new orleans received an acceptance from Shreveport as well?
 
have most of you that have been accepted to new orleans received an acceptance from Shreveport as well?
So u interviewed at both? Are U still waiting for that GRAND letter in the mail?? I've only interviewed at NOLA still waiting on a decision from the committee this Friday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey kavorca,

I won't be applying until this year, but it will likely be early decision, so I'm going to jump in and see if you wouldn't mind giving your general impression of a couple things for me, namely research opportunities and student happiness/normalcy/antigunnerness.

I've gotten almost nothing but great impressions from the faculty and one student I talked with (MS3), but I'd love any reassurance I can get (or conversely, lack of assurance, if that's the case).

Thanks a bunch.
 
Hey kavorca,

I won't be applying until this year, but it will likely be early decision, so I'm going to jump in and see if you wouldn't mind giving your general impression of a couple things for me, namely research opportunities and student happiness/normalcy/antigunnerness.

I've gotten almost nothing but great impressions from the faculty and one student I talked with (MS3), but I'd love any reassurance I can get (or conversely, lack of assurance, if that's the case).

Thanks a bunch.

Research for non-MD/PhD people is definitely available. I have several friends that started doing pretty intense neurosurgery research within a month of school starting. I did some through a summer program between MS1 and 2, but I am not as attuned to the research situation as some.

As far as class attitude, I think we are pretty laid back compared to most. People send out study aids and make charts and send those to everyone. No one is hoarding or trying to sabotage anything. We aren't graded on strict curves so you don't have to worry about scoring higher than others, just doing well yourself. Our class seems to be more social gunners (if that is a real thing), jockeying for club president, SGA, volunteering at the homeless clinic, etc. I have heard that the L1 class is more a little more gunnerish than ours. I assume that it will vary year to year a little, but the way the courses are organized doesn't tend to lead to gunnery.
 
Hello all, I was looking for some advice. I am trying to reach my final decision and have narrowed it down to two schools (LSU NO being one of them). I was hoping that any current students and future students could give their input on why the have chosen LSU NO. Thanks.
 
Yeah, lots of forms. Nothing terribly exciting.

Too bad they don't have the tuition numbers for next year yet.

Is it supposed to change drastically or is it expected to remain about the same?

I figure the living expenses estimation is the key part since that determines your take-home money (after tuition, books, etc.) if you elect to take out the max.
 
I received the acceptance postal mail from graduate school of LSU-no. And in the letter they told me if I agree to get in, I should answer them before April 7. Could you tell me how to answer the acceptance letter? I decide to get in LSU-no. But I they did not provide me confirmation rely form. Should I only email to him and tell them I agree to get in, or sign the letter and scan it and then email to them? I am waiting the answer from you, my internet friends. Thank you.
 
I received the acceptance postal mail from graduate school of LSU-no. And in the letter they told me if I agree to get in, I should answer them before April 7. Could you tell me how to answer the acceptance letter? I decide to get in LSU-no. But I they did not provide me confirmation rely form. Should I only email to him and tell them I agree to get in, or sign the letter and scan it and then email to them? I am waiting the answer from you, my internet friends. Thank you.
You might want to just contact the admissions. Is it LSU Medical School? I would e-mail Cathy Stuckey. Or if it's the Public Health, I would contact them. Not sure though. Hey well just found out that the status letters were mailed yesterday!! :xf::xf:
 
I received the acceptance postal mail from graduate school of LSU-no. And in the letter they told me if I agree to get in, I should answer them before April 7. Could you tell me how to answer the acceptance letter? I decide to get in LSU-no. But I they did not provide me confirmation rely form. Should I only email to him and tell them I agree to get in, or sign the letter and scan it and then email to them? I am waiting the answer from you, my internet friends. Thank you.

I think they send you two letters, one of which, you are supposed to sign and send back.
 
Is it supposed to change drastically or is it expected to remain about the same?

I figure the living expenses estimation is the key part since that determines your take-home money (after tuition, books, etc.) if you elect to take out the max.

Expect a 10% raise every year. The state is allowed to raise tuition 5% a year, but that is most likely going to be raised to 10% by a new state law. The state legislature tried to pass a law allowing them to raise it from $12k to $20k last year but it got shot down (thank god).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Expect a 10% raise every year. The state is allowed to raise tuition 5% a year, but that is most likely going to be raised to 10% by a new state law. The state legislature tried to pass a law allowing them to raise it from $12k to $20k last year but it got shot down (thank god).

Cool. Good to know. Thanks.
 
Got the "no further action" letter today via snail mail. Sounds like "keep waiting" and "don't call us, we'll call you". Sigh...
 
Got the "no further action" letter today via snail mail. Sounds like "keep waiting" and "don't call us, we'll call you". Sigh...

lmao thats exactly what it is. "it will not be necessary for you to contact our office since we will not be able to offer you any additional information at this time. This also applies to any other person who may wish to call on your behalf."

so basically, don't call. don't get your momma or daddy to call. just don't bother us.

i LOL'd. their admissions process fails at life, btw. 👍
 
Have any of you gotten the no further action letter twice? As in... you got it once after the committee met, and then the next time the committee met, you received another one?
 
Yes, I've also gotten the no further action letter twice as well, once about a week after my interview and then again about two months later, I'm assuming those were times that my file has come up in front of the committee.
So does anyone have some insight on what is going on with multiple no action letters, should I be assuming waitlist at this point or is anything still possible between now and mid-May?
 
Yes, I've also gotten the no further action letter twice as well, once about a week after my interview and then again about two months later, I'm assuming those were times that my file has come up in front of the committee.
So does anyone have some insight on what is going on with multiple no action letters, should I be assuming waitlist at this point or is anything still possible between now and mid-May?

well i guess anything can happen, but i'd tell you not even to assume waitlist bc "no final action" does not mean waitlist. my friend got the no final action twice i think last year, and then a straight rejection. [don't mean to say that you won't get accepted, but just letting you know the possibilities]
 
I got no further action too 🙁 but does anyone know if the committee is meeting again before May?

i don't think so, except to discuss the applicants that interviewed at the end of march or so. the next full committee will prob be right after may 15th. i could be wrong tho... call and find out.
 
Anyone got any reccommendations for places within walking/biking distance to the school?

Maybe someone else that knows more can chime in on this, but I think there are some new complexes coming up kind of around the area in anticipation of the new medical center. I'm from about 25 miles outside New Orleans, so I don't know the city itself as well as I probably should.

I'm also having a tough time deciding on an area to find a place, if I do end up here.
 
I will just assume to live. There are some apartments being built/newly built nearby close to Broad. I think as they start construction on the new medical center a lot more will be built. I think it will be a pretty nice area in a few years. The school is not in the best residential area. Right now, I would consider parts of Mid-City and the Marigny as being close enough to bike it in. The French Quarter is also close, but it has gotten expensive over the last 15 years or so. The same is true for the warehouse district. I live uptown in the University area. New Orleans isn't very big really, so depending on your definition of "biking distance", there is a lot of options. I can get to school in 5-10 minutes by car (depending on time of day).
 
When you check out "biking distance" for a place to live, I'd also look at the specific bike route. Not all places are places you want to ride a bike through.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah to live.

Yeah I realize biking may not be the best option. I'm mainly just look to places that are relatively close.

I probably just need to spend a few days in the area looking at various complexes.
 
If you want, you can let me know when you do that, I can try and go with you. I probably need to scope out the area as well.

Yeah sounds good. I'll send a pm later this week when I have better computer access instead of my phone and we'll see if we can get a day that we can go.



Also just got the finaid email about the new legislation with the federal direct loans.
 
Hey,
I've been living in New Orleans for about 3 years now and my only form of transportation is a bike. The city really isn't that big so I think you're not really limited to any particular area. The longest it'll probably take you is about 20-25 minutes from the furthest part of town. I live in the lower garden district and will be biking to class every day in the Fall. This city is awesome for biking, it's small and flat. But the drivers are crazy and the roads are rough.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.