You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Louisiana State University New Orleans Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
.. But the drivers are crazy
It took me probably 3 months of being on campus out of state to start 'trusting' people enough to use crosswalks when there was a car nearby.Hey Kavorca, I know you said New Orleans is not very bike friendly but does that apply to motorcycles as well? Does anyone in your class have one? I was thinking about getting one during medical school for the sweet gas mileage. Thanks.
I don't know much about motorcycles, but the roads in general are pretty horrible. I have seen several motorcycles and scooters in the parking lots.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys, i also go the no further action letter. I was just wondering does anyone know when the next committee meeting is??? They said they meet the third friday of every month, so are they gonna meet next week or is it going to be the big may 15 date. I wonder if people with no further action really have a shot....its so nervewracking, wish they just told us accept, reject, or waitlist...oh well we'll just have to keep waiting...good luck!!!
hey guys, i also go the no further action letter. I was just wondering does anyone know when the next committee meeting is??? They said they meet the third friday of every month, so are they gonna meet next week or is it going to be the big may 15 date. I wonder if people with no further action really have a shot....its so nervewracking, wish they just told us accept, reject, or waitlist...oh well we'll just have to keep waiting...good luck!!!
I don't believe there is a "waitlist" yet. No further action pretty much means you're on the "acceptable" list. i.e., you probably did well in your interview, but since it's so late in the application process, they are probably waiting to see how many seats open after May 15th.
have most of you that have been accepted to new orleans received an acceptance from Shreveport as well?
Yes, I was accepted to both -- Shreveport in December and NO in early February.
hey, just letting everyone know that shreveport's double hold deadline is this thursday (april 15th). you can't hold 2 or more acceptances (including LSU-S) after thursday. i wrote it on the lsu-s page too a while back but dunno how many people check it. lol.
Does anybody have any recommendations for apartments? Or do most students rent out houses?
hey, just letting everyone know that shreveport's double hold deadline is this thursday (april 15th). you can't hold 2 or more acceptances (including LSU-S) after thursday. i wrote it on the lsu-s page too a while back but dunno how many people check it. lol.
So what if I've been accepted to Shreveport, but I want to go to NO if I get accepted? I haven't sent a check to Shreveport, would that affect either acceptance if I get accepted to NO later on?
So what if I've been accepted to Shreveport, but I want to go to NO if I get accepted? I haven't sent a check to Shreveport, would that affect either acceptance if I get accepted to NO later on?
i believe on our acceptance letter, it said that you had to turn in the money by may 17th right? so if i were you, id go ahead and send in the $250 to shreveport. you can remain on the waitlist or whatever for nola after april 15th, just can't hold 2 acceptances. that money is refundable before may 17th, so if you get into nola before then, you can ask for your money back.
Does anybody have any recommendations for apartments? Or do most students rent out houses?
I hear that it's split pretty well.
I know a lot of people rent houses in Lakeview, which would be good bang for your buck.
You could also live Uptown/University area, Garden District, or Mid-City. I would love to live Mid-City, but the apts/houses there are hard to find and you have to make sure the area is good (like by City Park).
I think there are some apt complexes and stuff popping up near the Medical District, which would definitely be good. The students all said it takes no longer than 10-15 minutes to get to school on a normal day, so that's good.
So do we have to do the MPN and entrance counseling (in addition to FAFSA, of course) before they send the financial aid stuff?
Well, I did both anyway. That's annoying.
Well, I did both anyway. That's annoying.
So do we have to do the MPN and entrance counseling (in addition to FAFSA, of course) before they send the financial aid stuff?
Well, I did both anyway. That's annoying.
Yeah, I did it as well and I got my completed financial aid e-mail letter the other day. So now it's just the waiting game until the packages come in.
the committee met last friday, and it looks like they're waiting on Dr. Mcclugidge to come back from vaycay and sign letters. the admissions lady said they reviewed the recent interviews as well as the people that are undecided but do yall think that basically the undecided ones are waiting for May 15th to roll around?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the committee met last friday, and it looks like they're waiting on Dr. Mcclugidge to come back from vaycay and sign letters. the admissions lady said they reviewed the recent interviews as well as the people that are undecided but do yall think that basically the undecided ones are waiting for May 15th to roll around?
That's what I've been told by a couple of people. Which means I could be expecting a letter right around the day I graduate (May 21st). Could mean a serious boost or buzzkill to that day.
the committee met last friday, and it looks like they're waiting on Dr. Mcclugidge to come back from vaycay and sign letters. the admissions lady said they reviewed the recent interviews as well as the people that are undecided but do yall think that basically the undecided ones are waiting for May 15th to roll around?
I wonder if any acceptances will be given out with this round of letters or if they are going to wait until after May 15th to give out more seats...
what a good question, i wonder if i can call admissions and ask them about whether or not they will send out acceptances, but i guess i don't wanna pester them... if i do i'll post what they say...
but if u think about it, i'm sure at least a few spots had to open up and they probably gave a few acceptances especially with Shreveport having their deadline on April 15th to pick the school of choice.
but if u think about it, i'm sure at least a few spots had to open up and they probably gave a few acceptances especially with Shreveport having their deadline on April 15th to pick the school of choice.
im sure there are, but i think they're waiting until may to send out all the open spots instead of a couple now and a couple 3 weeks from now. i hope im wrong, though.
Truly hilarious!!! Couldn't agree more!!I don't want to spend my summer doing med school when I have all of med school to do med school.

what a good question, i wonder if i can call admissions and ask them about whether or not they will send out acceptances, but i guess i don't wanna pester them... if i do i'll post what they say...
please do!
Well I called and got a response I had a feeling I would get, the admissions could not reveal whether or not they sent out acceptances but Dr. Mcclugidge should be back tomorrow to sign letters. But I guess it's fair to say that if people who are waiting don't get an acceptance this week, it's not a bad thing.please do!
But from the response, I can deduct that they probably sent out acceptances because why else would she say that? Time will only tell...
But from the response, I can deduct that they probably sent out acceptances because why else would she say that? Time will only tell...
Yeah, I'm sure some seats have opened up as people commit to out-of-state schools. So I would expect maybe a few acceptances this round and more after May 15th. But this process has taught me not to expect anything.
I know, darn.... Hope you're right and we both get in!!!Yeah, I'm sure some seats have opened up as people commit to out-of-state schools. So I would expect maybe a few acceptances this round and more after May 15th. But this process has taught me not to expect anything.

😀Dr.McCluggage. had to correct the spelling, im sorry!! lol. im not surprised they gave such vague answers, after all they did say "don't call us, we'll call you" haha
anyway, thread hijack, but staycrispy-you heard anything from lsu-s yet? i know its been only a few days since the 15th.
anyway, thread hijack, but staycrispy-you heard anything from lsu-s yet? i know its been only a few days since the 15th.
Dr.McCluggage. had to correct the spelling, im sorry!! lol. im not surprised they gave such vague answers, after all they did say "don't call us, we'll call you" haha
anyway, thread hijack, but staycrispy-you heard anything from lsu-s yet? i know its been only a few days since the 15th.
Still nothing 🙁. It's really confusing; I thought my interviews couldn't have gone better and I think I have good numbers. I keep asking myself what it is keeping me from getting an acceptance. Still praying though and staying hopeful

Wow is it your first time applying? I'm sure you still have a good shot if everything looks good. I'm the one that should be worried, my MCAT is not as competitive but my friend told me that experience might outweigh that, but it's not like he was in the medical field though.Still nothing 🙁. It's really confusing; I thought my interviews couldn't have gone better and I think I have good numbers. I keep asking myself what it is keeping me from getting an acceptance. Still praying though and staying hopeful![]()
Yeah, first time applying; experience is the only thing I can think of hurting me. I worked for a summer as a patient transporter and then volunteered in an ER for once a week for ab 4 months.Wow is it your first time applying? I'm sure you still have a good shot if everything looks good. I'm the one that should be worried, my MCAT is not as competitive but my friend told me that experience might outweigh that, but it's not like he was in the medical field though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, first time applying; experience is the only thing I can think of hurting me. I worked for a summer as a patient transporter and then volunteered in an ER for once a week for ab 4 months.
I'm in the same boat, not much experience but I think pretty good numbers (3.63, 30Q). I thought my interviews went great as well. I was accepted to Shreveport in October but I'm not in the first 200 in NOLA? It's just not logical to me. I do have the benefit of knowing I'm going somewhere though, I hope for the best for everyone here.
Wow u got amazing stats!!!! Did you like Shreveport though? I mean as long as u like the school I'm sure it wont matter where u go, youll be an MD. Did you pick Shreveport for the April 15th deadline or do you have the choice to give that up if you get into LSUNOLA?I'm in the same boat, not much experience but I think pretty good numbers (3.63, 30Q). I thought my interviews went great as well. I was accepted to Shreveport in October but I'm not in the first 200 in NOLA? It's just not logical to me. I do have the benefit of knowing I'm going somewhere though, I hope for the best for everyone here.
Wow u got amazing stats!!!! Did you like Shreveport though? I mean as long as u like the school I'm sure it wont matter where u go, youll be an MD. Did you pick Shreveport for the April 15th deadline or do you have the choice to give that up if you get into LSUNOLA?
The school was absolutely great. I just love New Orleans, I've lived in the area my whole life and everyone I know is there; I'm just a south LA person (plus the school was just as nice). I'd much rather be in LSU-NO, so I hope I can free up a spot for someone in Shreveport, as long as someone wants to do the same for me in NO. I sent in my deposit to Shreveport, but I'd gladly let the $250 go if I can go to NO.
I'm just really shocked bc i thought they put demographics into consideration on admissions, thats hard for me to comprehend but excellent stats would def take you to different places.The school was absolutely great. I just love New Orleans, I've lived in the area my whole life and everyone I know is there; I'm just a south LA person (plus the school was just as nice). I'd much rather be in LSU-NO, so I hope I can free up a spot for someone in Shreveport, as long as someone wants to do the same for me in NO. I sent in my deposit to Shreveport, but I'd gladly let the $250 go if I can go to NO.
I'm just really shocked bc i thought they put demographics into consideration on admissions, thats hard for me to comprehend but excellent stats would def take you to different places.
Yeah, I feel confident because of my stats, but also more than a little nervous because it's taking so long that something else is keeping me from getting admitted (plus my dad went there!)
What??!!?? You have a lot goin for you! I'm utterly shocked! I think they mustve accidentally forgot your app or something, you are way too qualified-that could be the problem, just kidding! I think you'll get a good letter, hope you get in.Yeah, I feel confident because of my stats, but also more than a little nervous because it's taking so long that something else is keeping me from getting admitted (plus my dad went there!)
This is exactly how I feelYeah, I feel confident because of my stats, but also more than a little nervous because it's taking so long that something else is keeping me from getting admitted
has anyone gotten a letter in the mail yet?
Nopehas anyone gotten a letter in the mail yet?
I'm just SO anxious, my friend recommended talking to Dr. Eubanks, I may just do that just to see what I should do in the next year if I don't get in. She said people would get accepted right away after they talked to him to get off the no final action. But i need to find out if I should see him before or after May 15th.
I know me too. I've thought ab doing the same in Shreveport by I'm trying to keep from doing so because the letter said not to. For New Orleans, I'm trying to wait until May 15th before I start to really worry. This process is far from over...I'm just SO anxious, my friend recommended talking to Dr. Eubanks, I may just do that just to see what I should do in the next year if I don't get in. She said people would get accepted right away after they talked to him to get off the no final action. But i need to find out if I should see him before or after May 15th.
I'm just SO anxious, my friend recommended talking to Dr. Eubanks, I may just do that just to see what I should do in the next year if I don't get in. She said people would get accepted right away after they talked to him to get off the no final action. But i need to find out if I should see him before or after May 15th.
That seems too good to be true, especially since they say "don't call us, we'll call you." But if it were, I'd guess before May 15th. And to answer the question above, I haven't gotten a letter, and I don't know anyone who has gotten an acceptance letter since the beginning of March.
I e-mailed Dr. Eubanks and got the implication that I am still under active review in so many words and that I should not meet up with him until after May 15th if I still don't get in. I wish he gave me more hints on what the outcome of my application would be. 🙁
You mean a second interview after re-applying a second time? Yeah I did tell the interviewees that I adhered to Dr. Eubanks' advice as much as I could. Hope that helps me this time around.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard from some reapplicants that they were asked in second interviews if they talked to admissions after they didn't get in the first time. Also, they were asked what they were told to do and if they did it, why or why not.
yep, this is true. i got asked that at my interview this year. "so i see that you talked to dr. eubanks last cycle and he told you blah blah blah...."
Well here's some news! May 15th is soon approaching!

Way to stay positive. I'm hoping tooWell here's some news! May 15th is soon approaching!![]()

- Status
- Not open for further replies.