2009-2010 Michigan State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the application says not to send any unsolicited information to the office of admissions, but as I was reading last year's thread today, it appears as though many applicants sent in letters of interest/intent via email and they were added to the respective applicant files. Does anyone know if they'll still take these letters via email?

Members don't see this ad.

I know the application says not to send any unsolicited information to the office of admissions, but as I was reading last year's thread today, it appears as though many applicants sent in letters of interest/intent via email and they were added to the respective applicant files. Does anyone know if they'll still take these letters via email?

Edit: Or is this only for alternates?

I think that they mainly want these for alternates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Referred to their ABLE program via email...this was my top choice school :boom:
IS, 30R, 3.4 GPA

I know that getting in this year is what you really wanted, but ABLE program students do get to go to medical school the following year. It is a guaranteed acceptance program for those who complete it. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

I know that getting in this year is what you really wanted, but ABLE program students do get to go to medical school the following year. It is a guaranteed acceptance program for those who complete it. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Why would they refer someone with a 3.4 and 30 to ABLE? The website makes it look like this program is for students with scores below 8s and below 3.0 GPAs.

Why would they refer someone with a 3.4 and 30 to ABLE? The website makes it look like this program is for students with scores below 8s and below 3.0 GPAs.

I don't have a concrete answer to that question. I'm sure that the admissions committee has their reasons. My guesses, guesses though they may be, are that someone with those statistics has had trouble with the hard sciences in the past. One could do poorly or suboptimally in the pre-med prereqs as a nonscience or soft science major and still have a 3.4 overall GPA. I would also suggest that a very unbalanced MCAT could play a role. None of these conjectures meant as insults to anyone, simply thoughts as to how someone could have a 3.4 and a 30 and be referred to ABLE.

Received this notification today via e-mail after waiting 5 months for a status update. I was complete on 8/13:

"Your application has been reviewed and your current status is “Hold Before Interview.” The decision on your application has been deferred as we compare your application to the larger applicant pool. We typically receive applications through January; therefore, most applications that are deferred will be reviewed again no later than February, 2010."

I'm hoping this is better than receiving a flat-out rejection at this point...I hope!

Received this notification today via e-mail after waiting 5 months for a status update. I was complete on 8/13:

"Your application has been reviewed and your current status is "Hold Before Interview." The decision on your application has been deferred as we compare your application to the larger applicant pool. We typically receive applications through January; therefore, most applications that are deferred will be reviewed again no later than February, 2010."

I'm hoping this is better than receiving a flat-out rejection at this point...I hope!

They claim this is a very common thing and I have heard of people getting interviewed/accepted after being placed on hold, so it's definitely better than a rejection! I wonder why they waited so long to let you know about this. 5 months...dang!

Also if you don't mind, what time did the email come in?

Just got put on hold for interview decision today. is there still hope for an interview or not? it said i would be reviewed again in february but interviews go through march. it seems like a long shot. this is my first choice school so i am really nervous. glad i heard something though, takes some of the stress out...

Just got put on hold for interview decision today. is there still hope for an interview or not? it said i would be reviewed again in february but interviews go through march. it seems like a long shot. this is my first choice school so i am really nervous. glad i heard something though, takes some of the stress out...

If you don't have a shot, you would have been rejected. When were you complete?

Edit: ThaliaNox might have some insight on this; she interviews applicants.

Last edited:
They claim this is a very common thing and I have heard of people getting interviewed/accepted after being placed on hold, so it's definitely better than a rejection! I wonder why they waited so long to let you know about this. 5 months...dang!

Also if you don't mind, what time did the email come in?

The e-mail came in at 10:30am.

WTF? I thought ABLE was for people with "risk of academic difficulty" I don't think a 30 and 3.4 shows any sort of risk. When did you interview and how long after being complete were you invited to interview?

Complete mid-August, invited to interview in October, interviewed mid-November. Not quite sure how I'm at risk either, except that I did get a C+ & a B- in the 2 semesters of physics (yikes!), as well as a couple of B's in other core science classes, if that counts as being "at risk"...I suppose I should meet with an advisor & figure that out, huh? My MCAT breakdown wasn't unbalanced either (BS 11, V 10, PS 9) but it was a retake. I was accepted to MSU-COM as well, so now I'm trying to determine if I should go DO or the ABLE program and postpone med school yet another year... WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO!? :confused:

Complete mid-August, invited to interview in October, interviewed mid-November. Not quite sure how I'm at risk either, except that I did get a C+ & a B- in the 2 semesters of physics (yikes!), as well as a couple of B's in other core science classes, if that counts as being "at risk"...I suppose I should meet with an advisor & figure that out, huh? My MCAT breakdown wasn't unbalanced either (BS 11, V 10, PS 9) but it was a retake. I was accepted to MSU-COM as well, so now I'm trying to determine if I should go DO or the ABLE program and postpone med school yet another year... WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO!? :confused:

I don't think any of what you listed makes you at risk. First of all, Physics is no longer a pre-req. at MSU CHM, and even if your MCAT was a retake, it wouldn't matter because it's a standardized test and not one that you can just do better on because you've taken it once before. Showing improvement on the MCAT takes more time studying and isn't something that is easily done. I dunno what to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call last Tuesday for MSU CHM acceptance! I'm still trying to decide between Wayne State University and MSU, so if anyone has some advice please let me know.

Stats:
Non traditional
In state
Bachelors Biomed
Bacherlors French
Masters Neurobiology
Current - Biomed SMP
MCAT 28
GPA 3.9
7 years clinical work experience (mostly full time)
Study Abroad
Team sports
Lots of volunteering

Good luck to everyone!

Just got the call last Tuesday for MSU CHM acceptance! I'm still trying to decide between Wayne State University and MSU, so if anyone has some advice please let me know.

Stats:
Non traditional
In state
Bachelors Biomed
Bacherlors French
Masters Neurobiology
Current - Biomed SMP
MCAT 28
GPA 3.9
7 years clinical work experience (mostly full time)
Study Abroad
Team sports
Lots of volunteering

Good luck to everyone!
MSU is super $$$...not sure about Wayne State though. Both good schools IMO.

MSU is super $$$...not sure about Wayne State though. Both good schools IMO.

Heh, Wayne and MSU tend to have near identical tuitions, both instate and out of state. Wayne gives out a bit more aid, though.

For a non-trad, though, I would recommend MSU. More support for non-trad lifestyle, and keeps you out of the madhouse which is Detroit. Granted, though, I'm biased!

just got this update on my status page

Your Personal ID Number (PID) and Personal Access Number (PAN) have been assigned. Click on
the link below to have your PID and PAN emailed to you

for any MSU students wondering my PID is the same as undergrad, one less thing to learn:thumbup:

just got this update on my status page

Your Personal ID Number (PID) and Personal Access Number (PAN) have been assigned. Click on
the link below to have your PID and PAN emailed to you

for any MSU students wondering my PID is the same as undergrad, one less thing to learn:thumbup:

Got my official "Full Acceptance" e-mail today:thumbup:

Got my full acceptance too.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the "new" link for the AIS website so I can check my status updates?

If you don't have a shot, you would have been rejected. When were you complete?

Edit: ThaliaNox might have some insight on this; she interviews applicants.

i was complete September 10th. I waited to hear forever. GPA 3.8 MCAT 33Q. IS.

has anyone who interviewed in january heard anything recently?

Hey everyone, I just received an interview invite and I am very interested in this school. I was wondeing if anyone knew how many people:
apply
get interviews
and Get accepted?

I guess what I want to know is do they usually accept most of the people they interview?

I am OOS by the way.

Thanks in advanced!!

Hey, I just got an interview invite this morning for dates in March. Do y'all know if I am just interviewing for waitlist or is it possible to still get an outright acceptance. I have already been accepted to an instate school (TX), but am wondering if it is worth it to go..especially since their OOS tuition is $$$$!!

Hey, I just got an interview invite this morning for dates in March. Do y'all know if I am just interviewing for waitlist or is it possible to still get an outright acceptance. I have already been accepted to an instate school (TX), but am wondering if it is worth it to go..especially since their OOS tuition is $$$$!!

Congrats on the invite!! You'd be interviewing for an acceptance. When were you complete?

Edit: Were you ever put on hold?

Last edited:
Interview Invite this morning!
Check out my MDapps for stats.

Please note I was not put on Hold.

I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interview Invite this morning!
Check out my MDapps for stats.

Please note I was not put on Hold.

I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!! I hope this means good news is coming for me later this week...never on hold here either. Do you mind sharing the general time your application here was complete?

No, I was never put on hold, but my application was complete back in August...I wonder why they were so slow...

MSU does not do interviews for the waitlist. Even the April dates will be for outright acceptances. MSU is semi-rolling, and keeps seats for those interviewed later in the cycle.

As for deciding to come here from TX with an instate acceptance in hand... I would have a hard time justifying that to myself, personally. I love my school, but I don't know if I love it so much I would have chosen it over something a quarter it's sticker price.

MSU does not do interviews for the waitlist. Even the April dates will be for outright acceptances. MSU is semi-rolling, and keeps seats for those interviewed later in the cycle.

As for deciding to come here from TX with an instate acceptance in hand... I would have a hard time justifying that to myself, personally. I love my school, but I don't know if I love it so much I would have chosen it over something a quarter it's sticker price.

The funny thing is I actually graduated from University of Michigan and have been working in Michigan since (almost 1 year), so according to MSU's website there is a possibility I could qualify for instate tuition.

The funny thing is I actually graduated from University of Michigan and have been working in Michigan since (almost 1 year), so according to MSU's website there is a possibility I could qualify for instate tuition.

but it's cold up here too ;)

Then that's a whole different kettle of worms! If you're up here, make the drive and at least check the school out. All you're losing is a day of your time, and since it's not a huge cost, you'll regret not checking it out later, even if the school in Texas is ultimately the right one for you.

Hold today after nearly 4 months of no word :(.

I guess it's not a rejection, but this hurts.

Last edited:
Aww...I'm sorry...is this your 1st choice of school? Have you been accepted anywhere else?

This is my first choice by a mile, but I'd be happy to go to Wayne State if I get in there. No, I don't have any acceptances either. It is kind of reassuring that they must have seen a reason to keep my file active and not just toss it, but since this is a "common thing" I am not liking my chances of being offered an interview since there are probably 1000s of others in the same pool competing for just a few more interview spots. I hope I'm wrong about that, but hopefully I can snag one of those late interviews.

Last edited:
I got a dreaded email today. Waitlisted :(. Interviewed 11/5, IS. Above average MCAT, below average GPA. How much hope should I have for being accepted off the waitlist?

got the call last night!!!!!!! interviewed 1/21. first acceptance!!!!!!!:D

got the call last night!!!!!!! interviewed 1/21. first acceptance!!!!!!!:D

Congrats!!!

Hopefully now that it's February my turn to get an interview will come.

This is my first choice by a mile, but I'd be happy to go to Wayne State if I get in there. No, I don't have any acceptances either. It is kind of reassuring that they must have seen a reason to keep my file active and not just toss it, but since this is a "common thing" I am not liking my chances of being offered an interview since there are probably 1000s of others in the same pool competing for just a few more interview spots. I hope I'm wrong about that, but hopefully I can snag one of those late interviews.

Don't lose hope! Not only am I OOS, but My MCAT was a little below average, and my GPA way below...I'm not an URM, but I have had some pretty crazy ECs. I'm really glad they managed to overlook my stats and look at my activities. So hopefully they will do the same for you if you happen to be like me. ;)

Folks,

Good luck to everybody out there. I received my first (and only!) interview in Michigan a couple of days ago to MSU CHM - exactly six months after my secondary application was completed and three and a half months after I was put on 'pre-interview hold'.

I would have killed for this even 4 months ago. I declined, of course, as I am already in the process of moving my family out-of-state.

Good luck to all of you!
:luck::xf::luck:

Peace Out!

ok i looked everywhere on msu's website and I can't find a residency match list, has anyone else seen it? or do they not have that information online?

ok i looked everywhere on msu's website and I can't find a residency match list, has anyone else seen it? or do they not have that information online?

They give you a handout with the info when you interview but I don't think its online.

Does anyone know the break-down of how many students go to each community campus? I went to this website:
http://www.grmerc.net/education/msuchm.html (thanks Disinence2) and I saw that there were about 20 people on this residency match list. Is that a rough estimate of the # of people at each site? Also, how does MSU CHM go about matching med student to their desired community campuses?

This year there are about 50 Clinical students in Grand Rapids.
I forget about the numbers in other communities but they range from like 12-20's. Do NOT go to Flint.

The admin asked us to fill out a form ranking our desired community choices around March of the year we were accepted. I think that's still the plan for you guys.

With the new grand rapids campus opening in August I'm not completely sure how you will be assigned, but I assume its a similar process. I know for sure that you can do your first 2 years in Grand Rapids, then do your clinical years somewhere else.

Also during your 4th year you only have 2 months that you are required to actually be in your community. Taking electives at other CHM sites don't count as "away" rotations.

Hope this helps! The new building is looking pretty sweet.

On dec 11 I was placed on hold for an interview decision...I'm really holding my breath that that interview invite comes soon!!

Is the white coat ceremony the first day our first, cant think of a better word so, activity of the class? I saw online that this year it will be 8/29, but is there anything we need to do before that?

On dec 11 I was placed on hold for an interview decision...I'm really holding my breath that that interview invite comes soon!!

Same here. But my hold came on February 2nd. I wonder how many applicants are placed on hold and how many they actually give interviews to. I know of quite a few applicants who have been rejected so at this point it can't be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.