2009-2010 Michigan State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the white coat ceremony the first day our first, cant think of a better word so, activity of the class? I saw online that this year it will be 8/29, but is there anything we need to do before that?

The white coat ceremony is at the end of orientation week. So... I'd count on being there by the 20th, at the latest, to give you time to move in.

I also saw some confusion about the community campuses. Things are changing a little for your class because it is going to be an expanded class. They're taking 200 students next year. A portion, I'm not sure exactly how many but at least 50, will be starting in Grand Rapids. The rest will start in East Lansing. The people who start in Grand Rapids will not neccessarily be staying there. Conceivably, people starting in East Lansing could go to Grand Rapids and vice versa.

You'll do your first two years in either East Lansing or Grand Rapids. The main new thing this upcoming year is that you will choose your community campuses during your first year, NOT before starting your first year. This is new this year to give out of state students a chance to research the campuses, instead of randomly picking one. What does a Californian know about the differences between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids?

The exception to the above rule is the two special programs in Saginaw and Marquette. The people in those programs will be chosen before school starts, so will know where they are going before everyone else does.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the e-mail for preclinical campus assignment today.

I'm not sure where I would want to go yet, anybody here made up their mind?

Got the e-mail for preclinical campus assignment today.

I'm not sure where I would want to go yet, anybody here made up their mind?

I'm having the same problem. Does anyone know how classes/lectures are going to be conducted? At my interview in September the admission committee mentioned satellite or video lectures that the grand rapids campus will be sitting in on. But what about anatomy? Anyone from last year that went to grand rapids want to comment? I would appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the Grand Rapids campus will have its own cadaver lab.

This upcoming fall is the first time they will have first years in Grand Rapids. I also believe that the basic science lectures will be videoed in from one of the campuses. I'm not sure if you knew, but CHM shares first year basic science lectures with the DO students at MSU, and the DO school has three campuses, with the students at the other locations videoed in. Lecture was actually often videoed in from the other DO campuses a couple times a week. The teachers travelled around. I would assume that Grand Rapids would just widen the loop.

Hi, I'm currently a second year in Grand Rapids. I can't comment on how they'll work in the Detroit D.O. campus, as second year preclinical M.D. classes are seperate. Currently we have about 6-8 lectures/week (2nd year is heavily PBL based) and 5-6 are usually in East Lansing with 3-4 in Grand Rapids, both being broadcast to the other campus. Currently 2/3 of the students are in EL so they attempt to distribute the lectures proportionally - so I assume the GR proportion will increase over time. I don't mind the video broadcasts. You see the powerpoint screen and a video of the professor in real time, and they see you on their screen so you can ask questions, etc. It's not really any different. We've had technical issues where the lectures couldn't be broadcast twice all year, one from each location, and they're still recorded so you can watch them online later.

As for anatomy, the Secchia Center will have beautiful facilities with their own cadaver lab. I'm not sure exactly what they're doing for first year faculty (some EL people moving here, hiring people from GVSU's anatomy lab?) but the second year faculty is amazing, so you shouldn't worry too much about their ability to recruit quality instructors.

Overall I love Grand Rapids. Great city, great hospitals, great faculty and admin, large (and growing) research facilities. However, I'm a bit biased. :) Either location will provide an excellent pre-clinical education.

Can anyone shed light on financial aid at CHM? Is it only need-based or are merit scholarships common?

Has anyone in "hold for interview decision" list heard from MSU in February? I think they update applicants tomorrow again.

Has anyone in "hold for interview decision" list heard from MSU in February? I think they update applicants tomorrow again.

I actually got this status on Feb. 2 and my email said they'd be re-reviewing deferred applicants in late February. I guess that could mean anytime between now and the 28th...:xf:

Edit: How did you hear that it would be tomorrow that some people would hear back?

I'm having the same problem. Does anyone know how classes/lectures are going to be conducted? At my interview in September the admission committee mentioned satellite or video lectures that the grand rapids campus will be sitting in on. But what about anatomy? Anyone from last year that went to grand rapids want to comment? I would appreciate it!

Hey, I'm a first year MSUCOM student. The COM Detroit/Macomb campuses have their own cadaver labs so I'd imagine that CHM-Grand Rapids will as well. You can't really attend a gross anatomy lab by video conference.

Right now the video lectures for first years mostly originate from the East Lansing campus, but sometimes they do them from Detroit or Macomb. I imagine that when the CHM-GR campus opens up, they will be added to the mix. Although there can be glitches now and then, the video lectures are honestly a lot better than I thought they'd be. Sometimes I forget that the teacher isn't there. Plus, the lectures are all recorded anyway, so you can always watch them over again.

I'm lived in GR (just up the road from the new CHM building) before coming to East Lansing. It's a nice town. A lot more fun than E. Lansing. If you have any questions about the area just ask.

Last edited:

I was put on hold in october and got an interview invite on Feb 10th. The interview day they invited me to is April 1st...

I was put on hold for interview pretty early. Heard back on Feb. 3rd to interview towards the end of this month.

Edit: How did you hear that it would be tomorrow that some people would hear back?

In MSUCHM website, they have certain notification dates which Feb 2, Feb 17 and Feb 24 are the dates in Feb. However, it seems like those are more related to accepting or denying the application as oppose to interview invitation.

In MSUCHM website, they have certain notification dates which Feb 2, Feb 17 and Feb 24 are the dates in Feb. However, it seems like those are more related to accepting or denying the application as oppose to interview invitation.

Yeah, those are only for post-interview decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those who have been accepted, how long did it take for your "conditional acceptance" to become a full acceptance after you completed your CBC?

Hey guys, I am an OOS applicant. I interviewed in November and I was put in the alternate list in January. Has anyone from the alternate list been accepted yet? Can anyone shed some light on my chances of getting accepted from the alternate list?

Still on hold. Anxiously checking my email & AIS every day. this is getting ridiculous.

Hey guys, I am an OOS applicant. I interviewed in November and I was put in the alternate list in January. Has anyone from the alternate list been accepted yet? Can anyone shed some light on my chances of getting accepted from the alternate list?

Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 4828 applied, 510 interviewed, 280 were accepted, 156 enrolled

In-state admissions data 1262 applied, 323 interviewed, 155 were accepted, 115 enrolled

Out-of-state admissions data 3566 applied, 187 interviewed, 125 were accepted, 41 enrolled

These stats are the most recent ones available, but I doubt the numbers will have changed substantially since then. Then again, this year at CHM, they're admitting an extra 44 students, so who knows how that will change the proportion of OOS interviews to acceptances.

Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 4828 applied, 510 interviewed, 280 were accepted, 156 enrolled

In-state admissions data 1262 applied, 323 interviewed, 155 were accepted, 115 enrolled

Out-of-state admissions data 3566 applied, 187 interviewed, 125 were accepted, 41 enrolled

These stats are the most recent ones available, but I doubt the numbers will have changed substantially since then. Then again, this year at CHM, they're admitting an extra 44 students, so who knows how that will change the proportion of OOS interviews to acceptances.

Is there any stats for the applicants that were placed on the alternate list and were eventually accepted?

So there are only 4 days left in the month. And only two of them are business days.. Has anyone else on hold heard back yet? I am getting really nervous...

So there are only 4 days left in the month. And only two of them are business days.. Has anyone else on hold heard back yet? I am getting really nervous...

I've been on a pre-interview hold since 1/11 and still waiting to hear.

Well I got rejected this morning. I'm not really devastated at all since I'm still in it at Wayne State and want to go there more anyway (hopefully I can get in ;)) Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear. For those wondering I am instate and was complete in October, put on hold this month, rejected today.

Got my rejection letter too. Right before an exam is the worst part though. I kinda saw it coming. Scared to tell my parents though. They are going to be much more upset than I am.
Still holding out hope I move up on Wayne's waitlist!!

Well I got rejected this morning. I'm not really devastated at all since I'm still in it at Wayne State and want to go there more anyway (hopefully I can get in ;)) Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear. For those wondering I am instate and was complete in October, put on hold this month, rejected today.

I am so sorry about your rejection... I know how that sucks!!!! I hope that you can make it into Wayne! :xf: So I was wondering.. you said you were put on hold this month, do you mean you were put on the alternate list or just on hold for decision? Thanks for the info and good luck!

I am so sorry about your rejection... I know how that sucks!!!! I hope that you can make it into Wayne! :xf: So I was wondering.. you said you were put on hold this month, do you mean you were put on the alternate list or just on hold for decision? Thanks for the info and good luck!

Pre-interview hold. I don't understand why they wouldn't interview me. The lady in admissions I met with really led me to believe I was an excellent candidate for MSU and that's the most disheartening about all of this...oh well, it's their loss now.

So, just got an email from the admissions office today saying they have an open interview slot at the end of March and since I'm a local applicant they thought I could make and that they apologize for such short notice.

I didn't even know they were still conducting interviews, nevertheless at the very end of March. My status on their website has been "your application is complete and has been forwarded to the committee for preliminary review" since August. Since it never changed I thought they ended up misplacing my app or something.

Anyone ever seen something like this before? I've already been accepted to other schools but MSU was a school I was very interested in before I received 0 contact from them for 6 months. Wonder if my application was found behind a file cabinet and they decided to give me a chance lol.

Does anyone know if MSU uses simulation dummies? I don't remember them mentioning this during the interview...

So, just got an email from the admissions office today saying they have an open interview slot at the end of March and since I'm a local applicant they thought I could make and that they apologize for such short notice.

I didn't even know they were still conducting interviews, nevertheless at the very end of March. My status on their website has been "your application is complete and has been forwarded to the committee for preliminary review" since August. Since it never changed I thought they ended up misplacing my app or something.

Anyone ever seen something like this before? I've already been accepted to other schools but MSU was a school I was very interested in before I received 0 contact from them for 6 months. Wonder if my application was found behind a file cabinet and they decided to give me a chance lol.

It means that someone canceled their interview at the end of March and they've decided to give it to a local applicant. Better than a long distance one, I suppose, although one would think a month's notice would be fine even for an OOS applicant. If you don't want the interview, you should tell them promptly so that someone else doesn't get even shorter notice.

To everyone else, I think invites are pretty much over, except for cancellations. My condolences to those who got a rejection this week, and good luck at your other schools!

Hello, I interviewed last week and I was wondering how long it takes MSU to come to a decision on your file?

Hello, I interviewed last week and I was wondering how long it takes MSU to come to a decision on your file?

The admissions committee meets on Tuesday nights. The dates are posted further up this same page. You could hear at anywhere from the next meeting to the last one, at this point. I just got my list of the people I've interviewed lately who got in at the last couple meetings. The earliest interview was from the middle of january, and the latest was from last week, so it varies from person to person. Personally, I interviewed at the end of October and heard back just before Christmas. The average is about a month.

Wow thanks for the quick response!!

Alright sounds good im really keeping my fingers crossed!

I was in the same situation. I actually got an email LAST Thursday for an interview opening yesterday, so that was a week exactly that I had to get ready for it. Good luck!

From my experience, people that choose GR, East Lansing, or Kzoo were very happy. I was in Flint and very much regretted the experience.

The coordinator Ms.Assifffff was unprofessional and often missing at work. Best thing was friends/ family and two years flew by in a hurry.

I now have a successful practice after residency.

Good luck to all of you.

Hi! I have a couple of quick questions:

1) Are rejections sent via email, snail mail, or both?
2) does MSU send rejection letters/emails after someone withdraws?

I would greatly appreciate any response =)

I think GR and Kzoo are pretty much tied for the best two campuses. I agree that flint isn't someplace you want to be unless it makes you closer to your family or something like that. Lansing is usually in demand for the instate students, and those who went to MSU for undergrad because they "like" east lansing. As an out of state student that idea is rather difficult to comprehend.

Kzoo and the UP are the only 2 campuses left that give students unlimited free food, GR only give's you $600 a year, which is supposed to cover all your on call meals. If your at the "nice" hospital in flint then you get free food, but your not there for more than a couple months out of the year.

Because GR is expanding you get a lot of younger physician preceptors who are usually extremely friendly and care about teaching. Plus the new building is going to be sweeeet!

It means that someone canceled their interview at the end of March and they've decided to give it to a local applicant. Better than a long distance one, I suppose, although one would think a month's notice would be fine even for an OOS applicant. If you don't want the interview, you should tell them promptly so that someone else doesn't get even shorter notice.

To everyone else, I think invites are pretty much over, except for cancellations. My condolences to those who got a rejection this week, and good luck at your other schools!

Why is that I've heard literally nothing? No hold, rejection, interview etc. My status has read "Your application is complete and has been forwarded to the review committee for a preliminary review. Thank you for your patience as we carefully consider your application" since early September. If all the interviews have been given out then am I just still around cause I'm a "local" candidate and can show up on short notice if (and only if) someone cancels? Why wouldn't I be put on hold if that was the case? I guess I'm just kind of frustrated, and I'd love to say no news is good news but it's a little late to still be thinking that. Any more information would be greatly appreciated and thanks for all that you've provided already. I guess I just feel like my application could have been lost or something and I know there's a ton of applicants and what not but it seems like most people have been either rejected or put on hold at this point.

Why is that I've heard literally nothing? No hold, rejection, interview etc. My status has read "Your application is complete and has been forwarded to the review committee for a preliminary review. Thank you for your patience as we carefully consider your application" since early September. If all the interviews have been given out then am I just still around cause I'm a "local" candidate and can show up on short notice if (and only if) someone cancels? Why wouldn't I be put on hold if that was the case? I guess I'm just kind of frustrated, and I'd love to say no news is good news but it's a little late to still be thinking that. Any more information would be greatly appreciated and thanks for all that you've provided already. I guess I just feel like my application could have been lost or something and I know there's a ton of applicants and what not but it seems like most people have been either rejected or put on hold at this point.

I assure you that your application has not gotten lost. Mostly, you answered your own questions, by the way. You haven't gotten a rejections because you simply haven't been rejected yet. Likely, especially if you are local, you are being held in case a spot opens late. This is probably a long shot, but as you can see from the forum, it does happen!

As far as not getting put on hold, the official notification of holds is a new system this year. In the past holds happened, but the applicant wasn't notified. If you want the blunt and honest answer, it probably has to do with who in the office filed your application. Anyway, holds are out of date now, as it is March, and holds were for reevaluation in February. I know the process can be frustrating. Best wishes!

Hmm, just improved my previous MCAT score by right around 8 points...too bad it came a bit too late.

Pri84,
I too am from OOS, interviewed in November, and have been on alternate list since December. On interview day, the admissions staff mentioned that on some application years, everyone on alternative eventually got accepted, while on other years only a fraction of the list got the call. In any case, we probably won't hear from them until late April/May, at the earliest (at least we're one of the earlier to interview and maybe is higher-priority?)
Let's hope that the increased enrollment, to the tune of some 200 seats, will make it a lucky year for us.

Pri84,
I too am from OOS, interviewed in November, and have been on alternate list since December. On interview day, the admissions staff mentioned that on some application years, everyone on alternative eventually got accepted, while on other years only a fraction of the list got the call. In any case, we probably won't hear from them until late April/May, at the earliest (at least we're one of the earlier to interview and maybe is higher-priority?)
Let's hope that the increased enrollment, to the tune of some 200 seats, will make it a lucky year for us.

Wow... late April/May sounds ssssoooo far away!!!!:scared: I keep praying that this will be one of those years when they will be able to accept all those applicants from the alternate list! I just wish we found out sooner though because not only am I an OOS but I also have a family (with a young child) and I just REALLY need to find out what's going to happen with us this year! I am also a re-applicant so I have been through this before and let me tell you something, it does not get easier... it actually get a LOT HARDER! :(

As far as waitlist movement this year, I have a positive impression for waitlisted applicants. MSU is significantly increasing their class size for next year... around 35 seats. They've never accepted that many before, and don't know how many straight acceptances to give out. The consequences for the school in over-accepting are very expensive and it looks terrible, so they are likely shooting low in terms of straight acceptances. This means that waitlist movement is likely to be considerable. The waitlist will start to move around May 15th, as folks with multiple acceptances are finally forced to drop all but one, and schools get a clearer picture of who is really coming.

As far as waitlist movement this year, I have a positive impression for waitlisted applicants. MSU is significantly increasing their class size for next year... around 35 seats. They've never accepted that many before, and don't know how many straight acceptances to give out. The consequences for the school in over-accepting are very expensive and it looks terrible, so they are likely shooting low in terms of straight acceptances. This means that waitlist movement is likely to be considerable. The waitlist will start to move around May 15th, as folks with multiple acceptances are finally forced to drop all but one, and schools get a clearer picture of who is really coming.

Alright... I will try to think positively like you! :luck: May still sounds very far away but... that's all we can do for now! I do wish though that those with multiple acceptances who are not really considering this school, would let it go so that those that REALLY want it can get in! :D

Hey guys, I recently interviewed mid Feb and i was wondering if MSU accepts update letters/LOI's?

During my interview I let both my interviewers know about a new EC I have started but I would feel more comfortable if it was on my actuall application somewhere.

I am very interested in this school and really enjoyed everything about the interview day.

So i guess what i want to know is should I send them a letter letting them know of my new EC (which is an amazing clinical experience) and how much I would love to go to MSU? Would it help?

Thanks for your input! :D

for those who have been accepted, how long did it take for your "conditional acceptance" to become a full acceptance after you completed your CBC?

Accepted Jan 4, wasn't full until Feb 26.

Has anyone heard anything last night or today? I haven't, but it doesn't really matter that much to me.

You guys! I got in!! I got the phone call tonight around 7:30pm eastern time. I'm so excited!!!!!!:soexcited::banana::biglove:
God is good! For those still waiting, good luck!!

You guys! I got in!! I got the phone call tonight around 7:30pm eastern time. I'm so excited!!!!!!:soexcited::banana::biglove:
God is good! For those still waiting, good luck!!

Congratulations Sweetpea... what was your status before your acceptance? and when did you interview?

Congratulations Sweetpea... what was your status before your acceptance? and when did you interview?

Thanks, Pri! I submitted my secondary in early Sept and then the next thing I heard from them was an interview invite for the end of February. It's been about 3 weeks since I interviewed. When did you interview? Goodluck! Hopefully you will hear back soon.

Thanks, Pri! I submitted my secondary in early Sept and then the next thing I heard from them was an interview invite for the end of February. It's been about 3 weeks since I interviewed. When did you interview? Goodluck! Hopefully you will hear back soon.

Hey Sweetpea, I interviewed in November and was placed on the alternate list in January I think... everything is starting to blur for me :( I don't think I am gonna hear from them until May or beyond so... I am just waiting... :oops:

This is the second "waiting list" I am in so this kinda sucks but at the same time it's better than rejections... hopefully, for my sanity sake, I will be hearing for MSU soon...

Congratulations again! that was a quick turn around, which means they really like you! :)

Hey Sweetpea, I interviewed in November and was placed on the alternate list in January I think... everything is starting to blur for me :( I don't think I am gonna hear from them until May or beyond so... I am just waiting... :oops:

This is the second "waiting list" I am in so this kinda sucks but at the same time it's better than rejections... hopefully, for my sanity sake, I will be hearing for MSU soon...

Congratulations again! that was a quick turn around, which means they really like you! :)

I'm crossing my fingers for you, Pri! I really hope you hear some good news when the wait list starts moving in May. :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.