You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Michigan State Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Congrats! See you in August (if you end up in EL)!
Conditionally Accepted this morning off of the waitlist (via Email). 🙂
Good luck to everyone else still waiting.
Interview: 11/21
WL'd: 2/24
Accepted: 5/17
care to share if you're IS or OOS?
thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
care to share if you're is or oos?
Thanks
oos
Anyone on the alternate list got a request for criminal background check from AAMC? I got one this morning, but to my disappointment the CHM portal status hasn't changed. I know CHM participates in the CBC program, but I thought it's only performed after the conditional acceptance is granted?
Anyone on the alternate list got a request for criminal background check from AAMC? I got one this morning, but to my disappointment the CHM portal status hasn't changed. I know CHM participates in the CBC program, but I thought it's only performed after the conditional acceptance is granted?
I also got this email, and I am on the alternate list. Also, no apparent change to my status. I wasn't sure if the background check was for MSU or another school, but the other school doesn't use this service, so I can assume its MSU. Do you think this is good news for us? Perhaps they just get the check for everyone on the waitlist.
I also got this email, and I am on the alternate list. Also, no apparent change to my status. I wasn't sure if the background check was for MSU or another school, but the other school doesn't use this service, so I can assume its MSU. Do you think this is good news for us? Perhaps they just get the check for everyone on the waitlist.
I also got the same e-mail this morning. HOWEVER I am applying to several schools that use this service so I can't tell which requested the background check.
For those who have been accepted from the alternate list, did you also receive this e-mail before your acceptance?
I also got the same e-mail this morning. HOWEVER I am applying to several schools that use this service so I can't tell which requested the background check.
For those who have been accepted from the alternate list, did you also receive this e-mail before your acceptance?
I got the email and MSU is the only school that participates in CBC. Perhaps CHM is just checking the background of ALL waitlist applicants to weed out those not eligible anyway?
I could be wrong, since I have no official information on this, but it seems to me that too many of you got this notice for it to be acceptances. My guess is that MSU is trying to streamline the waitlist process for later in the summer as background checks take time and must be done before school starts.
so now the most logical question is:
are there people on the alternate list who did not get this background check request?
(obviously excluding those who have been accepted elsewhere and already had a previous CBC authorization)
are there people on the alternate list who did not get this background check request?
(obviously excluding those who have been accepted elsewhere and already had a previous CBC authorization)
I am on the alternate list and did not get that e-mail...
Good luck
to all on alternate list, I'll be withdrawing from my spot in the class today....I got this e-mail too... sadly I think it means exactly what it seems to be -
CHM is simply doing a background check for all excepted or waitlisted applicant.
Especially since I have yet to hear anything from them, and I recieved the e-mail early this morning.
CHM is simply doing a background check for all excepted or waitlisted applicant.
Especially since I have yet to hear anything from them, and I recieved the e-mail early this morning.
Anyone on the alternate list got a request for criminal background check from AAMC? I got one this morning, but to my disappointment the CHM portal status hasn't changed. I know CHM participates in the CBC program, but I thought it's only performed after the conditional acceptance is granted?
I received the CBC email yesterday too. Not knowing was killing me since I didn't get an email or call from any of my waitlisted schools. So I called CHM first and they said they're requesting CBCs for the waitlisted students in case they were accepted in the future.
She also said that they are taking a look at the waitlisted students for more acceptances "soon". I don't know when soon means, but hopefully it's next week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck
to all on alternate list, I'll be withdrawing from my spot in the class today....
Withdrew my spot as well. Good luck to those on the waitlist! 🙂
i posted before that I did not receive the CBC request e-mail. I called CHM yesterday and they said they did not send these out to all waitlisted applicants, only some. However I just got the CBC request e-mail this morning. Anybody else think that the fact that they are sending this out to only some applicants odd? CHM says they do not rank applicants but re-evaluate all of them, so why only request for some?
i posted before that I did not receive the CBC request e-mail. I called CHM yesterday and they said they did not send these out to all waitlisted applicants, only some. However I just got the CBC request e-mail this morning. Anybody else think that the fact that they are sending this out to only some applicants odd? CHM says they do not rank applicants but re-evaluate all of them, so why only request for some?
I think, and this is just me speculating, that they are sending a CBC to those applicants on that are the "next" to be called in the alternate list. I received a CBC e-mail at the beginning of the week and I just received my "YOU ARE CONDITIONALLY ACCETED" email!!! 🙂
I am very happy but right now I am not sure if I am going to take the spot. I loved MSU but I got offered a good financial aid package at UIC... so I don't know... 😕
got the background check email but no acceptances yet.
I hope the speculations above are true!
I hope the speculations above are true!
Hi!
I was just accepted off of CHM's waitlist today and I was just wondering if anyone knows if both the EL and GR campuses are still open? I am really interested in being at the EL campus as it is closer to my hometown.
alichamp,
would you mind telling us if you got the cbc email earlier as well, and if so when?
also Pri84, did both of you guys already have the CBC completed (i know pri you said that some of your other schools required it also) when you got your acceptance or was it still pending?
Thanks!
(i am also wl, got the cbc email wednesday, no other word as of yet)
alichamp,
would you mind telling us if you got the cbc email earlier as well, and if so when?
also Pri84, did both of you guys already have the CBC completed (i know pri you said that some of your other schools required it also) when you got your acceptance or was it still pending?
Thanks!
(i am also wl, got the cbc email wednesday, no other word as of yet)
No, sorry- I didn't get the CBC email. In the acceptance email, they said I would receive an email from CBC soon. I have already did a CBC for a previous school earlier in the year though, so that might explain why I didn't get one.
I received the CBC email yesterday too. Not knowing was killing me since I didn't get an email or call from any of my waitlisted schools. So I called CHM first and they said they're requesting CBCs for the waitlisted students in case they were accepted in the future.
She also said that they are taking a look at the waitlisted students for more acceptances "soon". I don't know when soon means, but hopefully it's next week.
i posted before that I did not receive the CBC request e-mail. I called CHM yesterday and they said they did not send these out to all waitlisted applicants, only some. However I just got the CBC request e-mail this morning. Anybody else think that the fact that they are sending this out to only some applicants odd? CHM says they do not rank applicants but re-evaluate all of them, so why only request for some?
Seemingly conflicting stories on CBC's implication...what gives?
Anyone heard anything from CHM today?
no new news here but they are probably waiting for the background checks to be done... I checked the status of mine this morning and it said it was still processing... I predict movement on Wednesday
It looks like most of us that posted received the CBC email on the same day (Wed 5/19). There is at least one post claiming a later date (5/20 or 5/21 or something) for the reception of that email. If this is the case, it could perhaps indicate a ranking of sorts based on when you received the email. If people with a late CBC email could double check their email date/time and if it was indeed later let us know, it would be a source of hope. Also, do you think you only received that email after calling and asking them to resend it 'cuz your inbox was full or something? Good luck to everyone on the alt list, hope to see you in EL or GR!
I called and was told they only send out CBC requests to applicants they're interested in. Interpret what you will on what it means, but it's certainly better than not getting it!
Last edited:
I called and was told they only send out CBC requests to applicants they're interested in. Interpret what you will on what it means, but it's certainly better than not getting it!
disclaimer-not trying to be a downer and burst everyones bubble of hope. i kinda burst my own already...
i'm a bit confused as to how this whole cbc thing works. while i agree that getting it is good news, how is this any good for the medical school?
according to aamc:
"In addition, beginning in May of each year, a national background report will be procured for a subset of applicants who are on a participating school's alternate list; medical schools will not receive such reports until the point of acceptance. "
According to this, its not as if they can use our background checks to weed out people and dole out acceptances acoordingly (unless i'm understanding this wrong). If thats the case, it doesnt speed up the process of giving acceptances, but i guess it would reduce the turnaround time between a student accepting and msu finding out if that applicant was crazy or something.
SO, based upon this, why are they not doing anything?? Even if our background checks get done this very minute, msu cant see it until they offer us the acceptance and we accept, right? if thats the case, whats the point in them waiting around? wouldnt it be more efficient to send out acceptances WHILE the cbc checks are in progress so people can also have their "deciding" time meanwhile?
anyone have any more insight into the cbc process than i do?
on a side note, while i realize that its a positive sign to get a cbc request, doesnt it seem odd that a disproportionately large amount of people are getting the request? as in the majority gets one? seems like there are 5 yesses for every no? the only upside i can see on this is that perhaps the waitlist isnt very long (maybe 75 ppl or something) and they have close to that number of spots open up. <-- total speculation.
thoughts?😕
Technically, the class is currently full. However, it's reasonable to assume that many accepted students will drop out since it's still relatively early in the waitlist season. This is why they can't admit more people until others drop out.disclaimer-not trying to be a downer and burst everyones bubble of hope. i kinda burst my own already...
i'm a bit confused as to how this whole cbc thing works. while i agree that getting it is good news, how is this any good for the medical school?
according to aamc:
"In addition, beginning in May of each year, a national background report will be procured for a subset of applicants who are on a participating school's alternate list; medical schools will not receive such reports until the point of acceptance. "
According to this, its not as if they can use our background checks to weed out people and dole out acceptances acoordingly (unless i'm understanding this wrong). If thats the case, it doesnt speed up the process of giving acceptances, but i guess it would reduce the turnaround time between a student accepting and msu finding out if that applicant was crazy or something.
SO, based upon this, why are they not doing anything?? Even if our background checks get done this very minute, msu cant see it until they offer us the acceptance and we accept, right? if thats the case, whats the point in them waiting around? wouldnt it be more efficient to send out acceptances WHILE the cbc checks are in progress so people can also have their "deciding" time meanwhile?
anyone have any more insight into the cbc process than i do?
on a side note, while i realize that its a positive sign to get a cbc request, doesnt it seem odd that a disproportionately large amount of people are getting the request? as in the majority gets one? seems like there are 5 yesses for every no? the only upside i can see on this is that perhaps the waitlist isnt very long (maybe 75 ppl or something) and they have close to that number of spots open up. <-- total speculation.
thoughts?😕
I think you're correct that CBC report will have no bearing on their acceptance decision, since it was normally done AFTER the conditional offer has been given out at MSU. I have no insider knowledge, but my guess is that MSU expects to fill a large class this fall, and that it makes a lot of sense to speed up the acceptance offer process (i.e. WL students admitted first round may take up to 3 weeks to decide whether to give up spot, and CBC will take an additional week). This is consistent with their increased class size this year (200): MSU simply needs to speed up the matriculant's turnaround time to make sure they fill the class before school starts in August.
I do not know why most people on this thread ARE getting the CBC requests, especially when it must cost MSU a certain amount of money to pull the data. My hopeful and optimistic guess is that MSU is going to have lots of WL movement this summer, and they're gearing up for it. I simply don't have a more pessimistic scenario to explain what is happening. 🙂
anyone on alternate list heard anything this week?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no word from CHM, no results from my CBC either, got it 5/19, responded 5/20
I've gotten my cbc back and released the results but definitely no news from chm...I think that there are open spots right now, but they are waiting for a certain day to review all the applications to fill the spots.. in other words I don't think they are filling spots as they open one for one
I have not heard anything from chm or certiphi since submitting the CBC authorization last Wednesday (19th).
Is it time to start thinking about re-applying?
Is it time to start thinking about re-applying?
Sorry to drift away from the waitlist topic...but I was wondering if any accepted students have started looking for housing yet in EL.
I'm just wondering if any of you have heard of places med students typically live. Personally, I'd like to get away from the undergraduate crowd so that on weekends I'm not jealous of the party going on outside while I'm waist deep in my textbooks. From what I've heard, this means living a little bit away from campus. Thoughts?
If anyone has any input or has already found a place, advice would be appreciated!
I'm just wondering if any of you have heard of places med students typically live. Personally, I'd like to get away from the undergraduate crowd so that on weekends I'm not jealous of the party going on outside while I'm waist deep in my textbooks. From what I've heard, this means living a little bit away from campus. Thoughts?
If anyone has any input or has already found a place, advice would be appreciated!
Sorry to drift away from the waitlist topic...but I was wondering if any accepted students have started looking for housing yet in EL.
I'm just wondering if any of you have heard of places med students typically live. Personally, I'd like to get away from the undergraduate crowd so that on weekends I'm not jealous of the party going on outside while I'm waist deep in my textbooks. From what I've heard, this means living a little bit away from campus. Thoughts?
If anyone has any input or has already found a place, advice would be appreciated!
A ton of medical students live in apartment complexes south of the med school campus on Hagadorn. These include Glenwood, Berrytree and The Hamptons. Berrytree especially is essentiall all med/vet students. Other students live all over the place, but those apartment complexes are the closest/most popular.
i will most likely be declining my acceptance within the next few days. i hope one of you gets my spot! : )
Interview: 10/12
Alternate List Notification: 12/16
CBC Notification: 5/19
Conditional Acceptance via Email: 6/1
The very best of luck for everyone remaining on the alternate list.
Alternate List Notification: 12/16
CBC Notification: 5/19
Conditional Acceptance via Email: 6/1
The very best of luck for everyone remaining on the alternate list.
Have most people who submitted the CBC on 5/19 gotten their reports back? My background check is still in process according to Certiphi...
everybody else get the "are you still interested in being on the alt list?" email today from CHM?
everybody else get the "are you still interested in being on the alt list?" email today from CHM?
I got this too. I responded that I wish to remain on the list.
got this email as well. The wait continueseverybody else get the "are you still interested in being on the alt list?" email today from CHM?
Congrats victor..... Would you mind sharing your stats and what time you got the email... Thank you much
Congrats victor..... Would you mind sharing your stats and what time you got the email... Thank you much
Not a problem dallascowboy. Although I dont think my stats will knock the socks off of anyone.
Overall GPA: 3.57
MCAT: 26M
Extended Chemistry Degree with a Biology Minor
I think my experiences were my greatest sales pitch, Air Force Medic. Ive got one month left here in Kandahar and Im really looking forward to meeting the rest of the class.
I received the CBC request notification May 19 5:50 am, completed the request maybe 12 hours after the notification, the investigation was completed May 25 8:07 am, and I received my conditional acceptance email June 1 8:00 am sharp. I believe all times were Pacific.
Once again, best of luck to all those remaining on the alternate list.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a problem dallascowboy. Although I dont think my stats will knock the socks off of anyone.
Overall GPA: 3.57
MCAT: 26M
Extended Chemistry Degree with a Biology Minor
I think my experiences were my greatest sales pitch, Air Force Medic. Ive got one month left here in Kandahar and Im really looking forward to meeting the rest of the class.
I received the CBC request notification May 19 5:50 am, completed the request maybe 12 hours after the notification, the investigation was completed May 25 8:07 am, and I received my conditional acceptance email June 1 8:00 am sharp. I believe all times were Pacific.
Once again, best of luck to all those remaining on the alternate list.
Congrats victor!
Assuming your CBC came back clean, why would your acceptance offer from MSU still be "conditional"? I thought the full acceptance is contingent only upon having a clean background?
Congrats victor!
Assuming your CBC came back clean, why would your acceptance offer from MSU still be "conditional"? I thought the full acceptance is contingent only upon having a clean background?
Thanks samurai. I was wondering that too. I could be wrong, but I think the Certiphi clientele server only distributes the results when schools have conditionally accepted a student. Id also think the transfer of information would take a little bit of time, maybe a couple days to a week. Who knows Anyway, Ill keep you posted if youd like.
Actually, I think this is much simpler that we are making it out to be. I think MSU has only one generic acceptance email that they send out upon giving offers, and they simply change the name and date. There was somebody else earlier in the thread who had already finished their background check (for another school) and also received the conditional acceptance. Dont think that is anything to worry about, you got the acceptance! Congrats!
Anyone else on WL heard this week? WL movement has been awfully slow since May 15...or maybe I'm just getting a little desperate
- Status
- Not open for further replies.