2009-2010 University of California - Davis (UCD) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheer up Rasheed, you never know when the big Hawaiian man might bless us with good news...

Members don't see this ad.

So, I guess I will be the first to share some of the details of the revisit...

I'll start with a basic synopsis of the school facilities, student run clinics, and the hospital itself. I think that many of you may already know a decent amount about the medical school education building but I will reiterate that it is simply awesome. The building is new and I love how it is situated in the heart of the UCD Health Systems complex. I was also very impressed with the student run clinics. Most of the ones we were able to visit were currently seeing patients, and it was really inspiring to see students playing an active role there. Each clinic is also supported by community and UCD physicians, and they appeared to be excited about the roles they were playing in both the community and the students' education. Plus, it's amazing that UCD is able to successfully operate so many clinics that service such a diverse set of patients – there's pretty much something for everyone in the way of early clinical experiences. Lastly, the hospital is currently finishing construction on a new wing that will house the ED, OR, and ICU. Sadly, we were unable to throw on some hard hats and tour the place but we were told that it cost 500 million to construct, so if cost is any indicator it should be pretty state-of-the-art. The main tower of the hospital that houses the majority of the wards was really nice. While I thought it was cool, I'm guessing it wasn't too much different than any other major teaching hospital.

The students that I met were on revisit were very cool. I felt very comfortable talking with everyone and I could totally see myself diving into the trenches of medical school education with any one of them. While there were a number of us that are already set on attending UCD, I would say that the majority of those I talked with were not completely set on UCD, and were considering alternatives like UCLA, UCSD, and an assortment of Midwest & East Coast schools. So there might be some good waitlist movement in the near future for those of you still waiting. Ok, I'm spent… hopefully that was somewhat helpful… :)

Thank you for your input. It's very informative :)
How many applicants total were at your revisit day? How many can you estimate are set on UCD? Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoyed Davis. The student-run clinics sound so intriguing, I wonder if there's any of those kinds at San Diego.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'll start with a basic synopsis of the school facilities, student run clinics, and the hospital itself. I think that many of you may already know a decent amount about the medical school education building but I will reiterate that it is simply awesome. The building is new and I love how it is situated in the heart of the UCD Health Systems complex. I was also very impressed with the student run clinics. Most of the ones we were able to visit were currently seeing patients, and it was really inspiring to see students playing an active role there. Each clinic is also supported by community and UCD physicians, and they appeared to be excited about the roles they were playing in both the community and the students' education. Plus, it’s amazing that UCD is able to successfully operate so many clinics that service such a diverse set of patients – there’s pretty much something for everyone in the way of early clinical experiences. Lastly, the hospital is currently finishing construction on a new wing that will house the ED, OR, and ICU. Sadly, we were unable to throw on some hard hats and tour the place but we were told that it cost 500 million to construct, so if cost is any indicator it should be pretty state-of-the-art. The main tower of the hospital that houses the majority of the wards was really nice. While I thought it was cool, I’m guessing it wasn’t too much different than any other major teaching hospital.

The students that I met were on revisit were very cool. I felt very comfortable talking with everyone and I could totally see myself diving into the trenches of medical school education with any one of them. While there were a number of us that are already set on attending UCD, I would say that the majority of those I talked with were not completely set on UCD, and were considering alternatives like UCLA, UCSD, and an assortment of Midwest & East Coast schools. So there might be some good waitlist movement in the near future for those of you still waiting. Ok, I’m spent… hopefully that was somewhat helpful… :)
good to know thanks:). By chance any idea when fin aid packages are coming? I wish icould have gone this weekend.

How many applicants total were at your revisit day? How many can you estimate are set on UCD?

Hmm... I would guess that there were 50ish perspective students there. I think that I encountered 10 or so students like myself that were set on attending and a whole bunch that there were leaning toward UCD.

By chance any idea when fin aid packages are coming?

No word on this as of right now, I'm still in Sacramento so I will stop by the office and ask. We did get an estimated cost of attendance sheet though. Tuition is 34,451 now :(

Hmm... I would guess that there were 50ish perspective students there. I think that I encountered 10 or so students like myself that were set on attending and a whole bunch that there were leaning toward UCD.

No word on this as of right now, I'm still in Sacramento so I will stop by the office and ask. We did get an estimated cost of attendance sheet though. Tuition is 34,451 now :(
i saw that...a 5 k jump in one year thats insane...its like our state schools are now private :(. I hope it doesnt raise more otherwise its going to be ridiculous. 60k a year tuition in 4 years? :p

I also attended revisit day, and I absolutely fell in love with UC Davis all over again! The applicants I met (who will hopefully be my future classmates) were diverse and interesting people, and seemed genuinely friendly and easy to get along with. :) I agree that the many student-run clinics were awesome! I can't wait to check a few out- they are truly a unique aspect of UC Davis.

I heard that they are hoping to give out FinAid this week, but are still waiting to hear how much they will be able to give out (maybe in terms of school scholarships, grants). As soon as they get this info, they will be distributing the FinAid packages. Hope that helps!

I know someone commented earlier that they were told that both the regular MD program and the PRIME program had been filled, but I was curious to see if any of you who attended revisit day were told the same information. I was also curious to see if any potential PRIME students came to revisit day, and if so, did they seem sure about coming to UCD or did they share the same sentiment as many others about trying to decide UCD vs. some other schools?

Thanks

I know someone commented earlier that they were told that both the regular MD program and the PRIME program had been filled, but I was curious to see if any of you who attended revisit day were told the same information. I was also curious to see if any potential PRIME students came to revisit day, and if so, did they seem sure about coming to UCD or did they share the same sentiment as many others about trying to decide UCD vs. some other schools?

Thanks

Not everyone at that revisit was really committed... I'm SURE there will be some movement. They didn't announce anything to the groups about the class being filled.

Some PRIME students were there the day of and day before. I met a few who were still deciding... so again, there should be movement :) good luck!

Thanks

I know of two people who were accepted to PRIME who are still trying to decide.

By chance any idea when fin aid packages are coming?

I talked with a lady in the financial aid department today. She said they are trying to get the awards out asap, but hypothesized that they would not be done before the next 2 weeks - she made a point to emphasize that they really want to have everyone's financial aid figured out before the looming 05/15 deadline. Also, she mentioned that the money won't be in the bank into 7/29ish... so, a couple days into orientation in other words. I guess that means we better starting saving for the first months rent and the security deposit like right now :rolleyes:

I talked with a lady in the financial aid department today. She said they are trying to get the awards out asap, but hypothesized that they would not be done before the next 2 weeks - she made a point to emphasize that they really want to have everyone's financial aid figured out before the looming 05/15 deadline. Also, she mentioned that the money won't be in the bank into 7/29ish... so, a couple days into orientation in other words. I guess that means we better starting saving for the first months rent and the security deposit like right now :rolleyes:
guess im sleeping in my car for the 1st few days...good thing my seats fold down in the back?:laugh:

guess im sleeping in my car for the 1st few days...good thing my seats fold down in the back?:laugh:

Lol... Well... If you end up at Davis I'll save my couch for you while you wait for financial aid! Who knows though, I may be reclining in the back of my car as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email today saying that once consideration of March interviewees was complete they would "be able to render decesions on all remaining applications" (including mine).

I interviewed in mid-feb.

Here's hoping they render it in my favor! I really liked the school!

Got an email today saying that once consideration of March interviewees was complete they would "be able to render decesions on all remaining applications" (including mine).

I interviewed in mid-feb.

Here's hoping they render it in my favor! I really liked the school!

Can you please paste the email, hopefully this week we would hear the good news

Dear all, I've just received my decision email today 3/23 from Davis. Applied Rural-PRIME. Unfortunately, it was a rejection. Back to retaking the MCAT and reapplying. Just telling you guys so hopefully you can expect your decisions soon. It has been a pleasant journey with you all this year.

Best wishes!

Dear all, I've just received my decision email today 3/23 from Davis. Applied Rural-PRIME. Unfortunately, it was a rejection. Back to retaking the MCAT and reapplying. Just telling you guys so hopefully you can expect your decisions soon. It has been a pleasant journey with you all this year.

Best wishes!

Sorry to hear that Latuza. :(

Best of luck this next cycle!

Hey guys -

For those of us who have still yet to hear anything post-interview from Davis, we're supposed to hear this week, correct? Don't medical schools have to tell us their decision (even if it's waitlist) by May 1st, so we can choose by the 15th? Or did I make that up...

On that note, has anyone heard anything this week/last week? Or do you guys know how we'll hear (snail mail / email)?

I am so frustrated by this school's lack of communication! Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting to hear. :luck:

Hey guys -

For those of us who have still yet to hear anything post-interview from Davis, we're supposed to hear this week, correct? Don't medical schools have to tell us their decision (even if it's waitlist) by May 1st, so we can choose by the 15th? Or did I make that up...

On that note, has anyone heard anything this week/last week? Or do you guys know how we'll hear (snail mail / email)?

I am so frustrated by this school's lack of communication! Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting to hear. :luck:

No idea on both your questions, but I interviewed the first week of March and haven't heard a peep from Davis, not even the "you'll hear soon" email someone else got.

I just withdrew here. I wish I could stipulate that my seat go to one of you helpful and encouraging SDNers! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I just withdrew here. I wish I could stipulate that my seat go to one of you helpful and encouraging SDNers! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Thanks for the well wishes! Hope you dig wherever you're going.

STILL WAITING..

Yesterday I get a "restricted" call on my cell phone, I answer it and this deep voice goes "Is this Mr. [my last name]?"

I'm like "OMG!!" (thought I recognized the voice as the Dean) "Yes this is me!" excited like a little girl in a candy store

"Sir, this is the [city] Police Department. Your parking citation appeal is not going to be accepted because you're handwriting is not legible."

I seriously wanted to tell the officer to go **** himself and just send me the bill. LOL :laugh:

STILL WAITING..

Yesterday I get a "restricted" call on my cell phone, I answer it and this deep voice goes "Is this Mr. [my last name]?"

I'm like "OMG!!" (thought I recognized the voice as the Dean) "Yes this is me!" excited like a little girl in a candy store

"Sir, this is the [city] Police Department. Your parking citation appeal is not going to be accepted because you're handwriting is not legible."

I seriously wanted to tell the officer to go **** himself and just send me the bill. LOL :laugh:

I hear u, every time my phone rings in the morning I get all excited up until I look at my caller ID :oops:

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time reader of the Forum but first time poster. Like many of the interviewed applicants, I am ALSO waiting for THE phone call! I interviewed back in early Feb2010 and still have not heard back yet. I remebered being told that we should be hearing back end of April. Tomororw will be end of April! Every morning when I get up, I get reallly excited and nervous when my phone vibrates!

Has anyone interviewed in early Feb2010 received any responses yet?

This will be my second time applying and UC Davis is the ONLY interivew I got, so I really hope/pray that I get accepted!

Cheers!:xf:

Were you in rural prime or regular MD? Thanks for the update! I am hopeful there will be movement soon as we move into May!:xf:

Just got off the phone Mr. Dagang. He said the class is full *tear* and there are a number of applicants who are still waiting for a final decision to be rendered. He said they have already sent out a bunch of non-accept notifications but those of us who haven't heard back yet are still in the running.

This gave me some hope, Davis is my absolute number one choice. A great school close to home.:love: Now we just need to wait for a few folks to turn down their acceptance here so that spots can open up for those of us on hold. Please please pick me! I'll be your best student, I promise! :thumbup:

Hello, does anyone know how rejections/wait list/acceptances are sent out to applicants? Thank you!

Hey everyone,

So I posted this on the UCD site as well....but I need some help deciding between UCI and UCD. Let me know if you guys have any pros or cons that aren't only restricted to curriculum and academics, but also to lifestyle, student coherence, and location. I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

So I posted this on the UCD site as well....but I need some help deciding between UCI and UCD. Let me know if you guys have any pros or cons that aren't only restricted to curriculum and academics, but also to lifestyle, student coherence, and location. I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks
I interviewed at both and for me at least UCD > UCI in just about every single way outside of maybe location (though i hate the OC). student coherence id say is better at davis but seemed ok at both. UCI had a more college feel and a i want to drink every second im not in med school attitude, while UCD def seemed like it had a overall older class while everyone at uci seemed to be liek 20 lol. UCI is in a nice though boring suburban area but its safe and close to several beaches :). Not sure what you mean lifestlye but if i had the choice (and i did) i would go ucd. I actually just withdrew from UCI just didnt feel it over there. Very bland vanilla med school with not a lot to offer imo.

Hey everyone,

Thanks

Did you copy this from your UCI posting? Maybe the sequence and lack of editing indicates your natural preference? J/k :) Honestly, I do think that UC Davis prefers none traditional applicants, so think of that when you are considering your future classmates. However, I'm sure both classes will be pretty diverse, so that may even the playing field a little bit... As far as environment is concerned, I think Sacramento is the perfect place for a nascent medical career :) The city is really diverse and there is plenty of sights and sceens to experience - plus, it has this laid back quality which may be slightly imparted by the abundance of trees :) I also like how much more integrated the Davis campus is, at Davis your classrooms are in eye sight of the hospital. Lastly, wouldn't you rather be an Aggie than an Anteater? Just saying ;) Either way, you have a great opportunity, good luck with the decision!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Thanks

I went to UCI for undergrad and I was fortunate enough to get an acceptance to Davis earlier this year which I immediately jumped on. I didn't apply to UCI, but I did go there for undergrad and there was a couple reasons for that (mostly me wanting to get out of the Orange County bubble).

But to list a few pros for Davis....
* Close proximity to the medical center (you can e-mail physicians and begin shadowing a doc in whatever field interests you from day 1, this is great if you're not sure with what field you want to enter yet); UCI's med center is a bit further down the 5 freeway (about 20 mins)
* Student run clinics - begin your clinical hours as soon as day 1, and you can work at your own pace (big for me)
* P/F grading system, allows you to work on other things in addition to school (i.e., no stress to have the "top" grades in the class, classmates send our study guides and notes to hep each other out); isn't UCI a letter/numerical system? You may see this as a pro or con depending on how you want to be graded
* Amazing student body

Also... are you a beach or snowboarding person? :D
Irvine is close to the beach, Davis is closer for snowboarding locales.

soo agree there. I went to uci for undergrad, and god i wanted out of here so bad lol. I did just want to say one thing though, UCI isnt numerical (ABC etc), they are changing their cirriculum now. They are p/f the 1st year and will likely be p/f the 2nd year starting this fall.

I went to UCI for undergrad and I was fortunate enough to get an acceptance to Davis earlier this year which I immediately jumped on. I didn't apply to UCI, but I did go there for undergrad and there was a couple reasons for that (mostly me wanting to get out of the Orange County bubble).

But to list a few pros for Davis....
* Close proximity to the medical center (you can e-mail physicians and begin shadowing a doc in whatever field interests you from day 1, this is great if you're not sure with what field you want to enter yet); UCI's med center is a bit further down the 5 freeway (about 20 mins)
* Student run clinics - begin your clinical hours as soon as day 1, and you can work at your own pace (big for me)
* P/F grading system, allows you to work on other things in addition to school (i.e., no stress to have the "top" grades in the class, classmates send our study guides and notes to hep each other out); isn't UCI a letter/numerical system? You may see this as a pro or con depending on how you want to be graded
* Amazing student body

Also... are you a beach or snowboarding person? :D
Irvine is close to the beach, Davis is closer for snowboarding locales.

That's great that you have options :) And now more info to make a decision with financial aid coming out

it is the best dilemma to have in life right now, i guess. i am hoping that financial aid info will help to clarify the decision.

did you get the aid package yet diva? I just checked mine isnt ready yet :(...

So much for getting back a decision by May 1st. Has any other September/October/November interview person still have yet to hear back and is UC Davis going to give us all silent rejections?? :eek:

All of these UCs with there ways of doing things make me wish I lived in a different state. :mad:

So much for getting back a decision by May 1st. Has any other September/October/November interview person still have yet to hear back and is UC Davis going to give us all silent rejections?? :eek:

All of these UCs with there ways of doing things make me wish I lived in a different state. :mad:

Interviewed early Nov and yet to hear anything at all. I've completely tuned out to UC Davis as a result. It sucks when they tell you that you'll hear back within 1-2 months and it actually ends up being half of a year!!

nope, me neither. *sigh* waiting continues...
Just got my fin aid award tonight and omg im so happy. Its no full tuition scholarship or something, but far and away my best package so far. Now im glad i withdrew from everywhere but ucd. Good chance this is where im ending up.

Just got my fin aid award tonight and omg im so happy. Its no full tuition scholarship or something, but far and away my best package so far. Now im glad i withdrew from everywhere but ucd. Good chance this is where im ending up.

congrats!

UCD, just accept me already, I don't want to go back east and if I do CA is going to lose a fine doc.

also, the admissions office told me today "we're not good with deadlines"...ha....

congrats!

UCD, just accept me already, I don't want to go back east and if I do CA is going to lose a fine doc.

also, the admissions office told me today "we're not good with deadlines"...ha....
lol you know as much as people bitch about ucd, the other ucs are often just as bad. UCLA has people they interviewed in sept through feb that they STILL havnt gotten too. I think people just bitch less because its ucla. Same goes for other ucs. UCI is the only uc at least for my cycle that was constantly on top of things. I think its just the system as a whole in cali lol. Regardless good luck ooze! Hope to see you in july at ucd :). WL day is almost here for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.