2009-2010 University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone gotten word that ucsf got their mailed secondary?

Nope...I mailed mine out last Friday and my status on their website has not been updated yet...not sure how long it usually takes...anybody have an idea? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for reminding me to check!

Status change for me. :) Sent it in 7/7, received on 7/9. That was quick, but I bet I was among the first 50-100 people who sent it in

Thanks for reminding me to check!

Status change for me. :) Sent it in 7/7, received on 7/9. That was quick, but I bet I was among the first 50-100 people who sent it in

Oooooo...nice! Hmm..wonder how long it will take to update mine? Either way, congrats and good luck the rest of the way! Let's hope we all get called in for interviews too! :D

***I just checked again and mine has been updated too! Seems I spoke too quickly! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
they received my primaries on the 11th. and i still got nothin. man im so nervous.:scared:

my friend got a secondary from ucsf last year and he had a 6 in verbal, 30 total.

thanks that makes me feel so much better =) so what happened to your friend last year?!

a glimmer of hope: in 2007, i had <30 and got a secondary and applied late. i am still waiting for mine this yr... :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick LOR question for UCSF. I have 6 strong letters and am trying to decide which one I'm going to eliminate for this school. The woman I spoke with from the admissions office said that they don't have a non-science professor requirement, but I know I've heard rumors that they prefer applicants to send one. I'm deciding between my non-science LOR and my research PI LOR (because my other 4 are really strong and include a research supervisor). Is everyone else including a non-science professor in their letter packet?

Quick LOR question for UCSF. I have 6 strong letters and am trying to decide which one I'm going to eliminate for this school. The woman I spoke with from the admissions office said that they don't have a non-science professor requirement, but I know I've heard rumors that they prefer applicants to send one. I'm deciding between my non-science LOR and my research PI LOR (because my other 4 are really strong and include a research supervisor). Is everyone else including a non-science professor in their letter packet?

IMO I would include the non-science one, especially if you already have one from your research PI. I made sure to include one as well since I thought it would give them an idea about how well I perform in a non-scientific kind of environment/class. Either way, good luck and I'm sure whichever one you decide to include will be great! :)

Wow, I got AMCAS verified this morning, and received a secondary invitation from UCSF tonight (9:30 PM PST).

Wow, I got AMCAS verified this morning, and received a secondary invitation from UCSF tonight (9:30 PM PST).

congrats. what were you stats, if you don't mind my asking?

If they're all arriving together in one packet, I'd submit them them all. I went over the limit last year and it was fine. I could've cut out a "less important" research letter, or my non science letter, but these individuals took the time to write letters for me, so I figure I would submit them all, even if I exceeded the school's maximum.

I'm biased towards doing it this way (just b/c its what I personally did) whereas other people recommend that you should stick to the guidelines regarding number of LORs. Take what I say w/ a grain of salt.

If they're all arriving together in one packet, I'd submit them them all. I went over the limit last year and it was fine. I could've cut out a "less important" research letter, or my non science letter, but these individuals took the time to write letters for me, so I figure I would submit them all, even if I exceeded the school's maximum.

I'm biased towards doing it this way (just b/c its what I personally did) whereas other people recommend that you should stick to the guidelines regarding number of LORs. Take what I say w/ a grain of salt.

i have the same problem, but in a lot of the secondaries they want us to write the names of the "additional" letter writers that will be arriving and they leave just as much space as they let you add! would you say still send them all?!! (most are uploaded on amcas)

i have the same problem, but in a lot of the secondaries they want us to write the names of the "additional" letter writers that will be arriving and they leave just as much space as they let you add! would you say still send them all?!! (most are uploaded on amcas)

For situations like that, I just filled in as many boxes as I could, and some LORs didn't fit in the limited space. I still had my school's career center send the entire packet to each school. For school using the AMCAS service, I had AMCAS send my entire packet to each school.

*shrug* Again, this is what I did last year because I could not bear to toss any of my letters. If you *can* choose, its probably better to follow the schools' guidelines instead of blatently ignoring them.

It's not about stats, apparently. My numbers are pretty much the same and I've been verified and since the 30th, and they confirmed receipt of my application the 1st.

It's not about stats, apparently. My numbers are pretty much the same and I've been verified and since the 30th, and they confirmed receipt of my application the 1st.
I would say it is about numbers just that getting into UCSF is like getting in john hopkins or the other very few select elite schools. They have pletny of apps who have ridiculous numbers like yourself, but also ridiculous everything else in their app. They can afford to be super selective because of the type of students they are going to attract.

I would say it is about numbers just that getting into UCSF is like getting in john hopkins or the other very few select elite schools. They have pletny of apps who have ridiculous numbers like yourself, but also ridiculous everything else in their app. They can afford to be super selective because of the type of students they are going to attract.

Agree. Numbers probably play a major role in the process.

Last edited:
does ucsf do the same kind of "two-wave" thing that ucsd does? (i.e. some now and the rest later)? or is it more of just sending them as they're ready?

Does anybody have their status listed as complete yet? I'm just wondering how long it normally takes...thanks a bunch! :)

Does anybody have their status listed as complete yet? I'm just wondering how long it normally takes...thanks a bunch! :)

Nopeeeee. Just checked too. :) Look at last year's threads for an estimate.

hm.. I'm OOS..
I got UCLA's secondary and completed it
but I didn't get UCSF's..
Does UCSF require higher stats than UCLA?

hm.. I'm OOS..

Mantra of medical school applications: It's not all about the numbers!!

hm.. I'm OOS..
In general yes but its not all numbers blah blah more typical advice blah blah...if you didnt get it oh well. also remember UCSF does the harshest 1st screen of any UC. While UCLA sends out 2ndaries to near 1/2 the applicants. UCSF sends out 1500 2ndaries to 6000 applicants. While UCLA will send closer to 2500 2ndaries to 6000 applicants.

In general yes but its not all numbers blah blah more typical advice blah blah...if you didnt get it oh well. also remember UCSF does the harshest 1st screen of any UC. While UCLA sends out 2ndaries to near 1/2 the applicants. UCSF sends out 1500 2ndaries to 6000 applicants. While UCLA will send closer to 2500 2ndaries to 6000 applicants.

Do you happen to know if we're out of the running for UCLA if we haven't gotten a secondary thus far but the people we were verified with have? Or is there some second wave coming?

Do you happen to know if we're out of the running for UCLA if we haven't gotten a secondary thus far but the people we were verified with have? Or is there some second wave coming?
I dont have a clue dude sorry :(. Kind of odd how every UC sent it to you (i think?) But UCLA so far...sometimes I feel applying to your alma matter can work against you in some ways, but for UCLA i have no idea.

oh i didn't know that..
does Mayo screen as harsh as UCSF?

oh i didn't know that..
does Mayo screen as harsh as UCSF?
Mayo is even harsher then UCSF, if u look through that thread someone posted how they do things, but mayo is probably the toughest school to get into in the country imo.

I think Mayo's harsher... they only send LOR requests to 600-800 people.

Mayo is even harsher then UCSF, if u look through that thread someone posted how they do things, but mayo is probably the toughest school to get into in the country imo.

So people who got Mayo LOR request is likely to get UCSF 2ndary as well?
hm....
:scared:

hm....

Honestly, I don't think that anyone's entitled to any secondary. Mayo looks for different things than UCSF does, as does every school. Would you ever call up UCSF and say, "Well, I got the Mayo LOR request so why the heck did you shaft me?!" I doubt it. It's so hard to wait, but I think that that's what we all have to do at this point.

hm....
no, you can not correlate schools like that. Mayo routinely rejects 4.0 and 38 mcat peeps, they are looking for a certain type of applicant. UCSF is also looking for a certain type of applicant. In general if you are accepted at either of these schools it is likely you are a very good cadidiate and would be accepted at many schools, but its hard to say in such a random process. Good example, my friend last year has a 4.0 and 37 mcat, he got into columbia, NYU, mt sinai, duke etc etc...basically every top school on the midwest and east coast he applied to he got in. Yet when it came to cali schools he got into none of them except UCI. You never know and the process is somewhat random, people can slip through the cracks or maybe you were just reviewed by the wrong adcom on the wrong day. Seriously stuff like this happens, its not a perfect process.

thanks for the useful info guys..

i'm not saying I SHOULD get 2ndary (I really shouldn't i'm such an average joe) but.. yeah..

different schools must be looking at different qualities in the applicants and it's not all about GPA and MCAT i guess

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting a secondary from here. Oh well, at least I tried I guess.

i don't get it! I have a 2400 on the SAT. where's my secondary?!?!?

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting a secondary from here. Oh well, at least I tried I guess.

Very early in the cycle. The UC's are weird too; I didn't think I would get SD but just got it a few days ago. Just because you missed the initial batch doesn't mean you won't get it at all.

I know this is a recurring question... but any OOSers get some love now that it seems a lot of the IS people have been finding out for a few weeks?

Very early in the cycle. The UC's are weird too; I didn't think I would get SD but just got it a few days ago. Just because you missed the initial batch doesn't mean you won't get it at all.
Yea, I'm just hoping that SDN isn't representative of the majority of applicants in this case. I still haven't gotten UCSF's secondary and every day my hopes kind of go down because more people are getting theirs. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.