2009-2010 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So...does anyone have a good answer to looking up traffic tickets? Do I really have to spend $15 on a MVR http://www.floridamvrservices.com/?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a status page for cinci? How do we know if they received our secondary and LORs?

Just as an fyi if a place has your name and soc they can run a quick driving record check, so I would assume it's in an effort at an honesty-check. My place of employment ran it last week on me in half a day (from submission to report) as I'm driving an ambulance and probably should be a decent driver to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see any status page. They emailed me telling me they received payment, but I don't see anything else.

nm

Last edited:
Did anyone ever figure out how to check if we are completed or not for UCinn? I know they have received my payment but how do I check if they've received letters and have marked my app as complete?

Yeah I don't think the whole status page thing exists...

so are there really no essays for this app or am i missing something?

Status page is up and running by the way, for people who haven't checked in a while

Yeah, the status page is up. It shows that I'm complete. Now the waiting game begins....:(:xf:

I submitted a committee letter plus individul letters through AMCAS.

My page on school's site says they got the letters they require, but there are only 2 individual letters. Of course I will get a rejection, they don't have a committee letter on file. I'm screwed.

I guess they only download first several letters whatever they are, but I made all my letters available to them thinking they will pick what they need ( the committee and as many individual letters they need to complete my file).

Members don't see this ad :)

My page on school's site says they got the letters they require, but there are only 2 individual letters. Of course I will get a rejection, they don't have a committee letter on file. I'm screwed.

I guess they only download first several letters whatever they are, but I made all my letters available to them thinking they will pick what they need ( the committee and as many individual letters they need to complete my file).
nothing a phone call couldn't fix..."screwed" is not accurate

I'm not sure what you are saying. I assigned 5 letters to the school and my status shows that they received all of them. Are you saying you assigned many letters to U of Cinc. and the status only shows a couple of them being received?

Someone please give me a confirmation on this: no essay prompts on the secondary correct?

does this school send a completion email?
nope, at least i never got one, but my status says complete and under review on their site so :shrug: i think we are just supposed to cehck that.

Submitted!

Now we play the waiting game.

does anyone know when they send out interview invites?

Hey Everyone!

Ok, so I am working on a few of the mini-essays for secondaries right now. For U of Cinci, they ask If you have graduated from college, please briefly describe your major activities since you received your college degree and your plans for this year.

and other schools have similar questions. I read some advice from Admissions Committees recently that said that a lot of promising applicants let them down in the few paragraphs they are asked to write for secondaries (compared to their personal statements which have likely been read over by many people, etc). However, how are you suppose to write a 'good' mini essay about something kind of straight-forward such as 'what you are doing next year'?

Any ideas? :)

Hey Everyone!

Ok, so I am working on a few of the mini-essays for secondaries right now. For U of Cinci, they ask If you have graduated from college, please briefly describe your major activities since you received your college degree and your plans for this year.

and other schools have similar questions. I read some advice from Admissions Committees recently that said that a lot of promising applicants let them down in the few paragraphs they are asked to write for secondaries (compared to their personal statements which have likely been read over by many people, etc). However, how are you suppose to write a 'good' mini essay about something kind of straight-forward such as 'what you are doing next year'?

Show em you're passionate about medicine. Show em you've been volunteering, you work in the healthcare industry, or you've done something to make you want to go down this path. Show em that you're ambitious and give them some reasons to interview you.

the city has a ridiculously nice airport and really bad sports teams

has anyone heard anything back yet from them or has anything changed on your status page?

I submitted 7/13, haven't received any communication from UC aside from the confirmation that my app was complete. The wait is awful.

The fact is that Cincy and OSU are state schools, so they should prefer Ohio residents. Pretty much all state schools work that way, so there is nothing wrong with it. OSU seems to think they can become top tier by turning to OOS applicants, but it just isn't going to happen. I didn't get into Cincy or OSU last cycle despite being IS with high scores, so it isn't just about looking OOS for higher numbers. It probably has something to do with diversity and getting people from more prestigious UGs than the OH schools.

Actually this year they were accepting more OOS applicants off the waiting list this year.

Hey Everyone!

write well thorough essay but don't dwell on it. If you are invited for an interview there are more questions. and you can always send update letters

I wish they'd let us pick our username or login ID. I have absolutely no idea how they expect us to remember our 6+2 login ID. Why didn't they just use the same application website that MCW and half a dozen other medical schools use

So...does anyone have a good answer to looking up traffic tickets? Do I really have to spend $15 on a MVR http://www.floridamvrservices.com/?

I estimated when I gave them the dates last year and I got an interview and to the top of the wiatlist, which is were I sit for now.

Just give them the bare minimum
e.g. I got a speeding ticket in March 2009 and I ran a red light in May 2005.

they told me they are more or less looking for a pattern of behavior. So they are weeding out people who have a DUI DWI or a ton of speeding tickets, which in their opinion means a risky lifestyle that is not good for the medical student.

Does anyone know when there will be interview invites?

Actually this year they were accepting more OOS applicants off the waiting list this year.

I'm unsure what the "Actually" is for, but that's what I was saying... They are taking OOS students, probably to boost diversity (in the form of # of undergrad schools represented). I guarantee that OSU could have had just as "qualified" and "intelligent" a class if they had taken more OH residents, but several in-staters, including myself, sort of got the shaft (to reiterate: probably for (non-racial) diversity).

I'm unsure what the "Actually" is for, but that's what I was saying... They are taking OOS students, probably to boost diversity (in the form of # of undergrad schools represented). I guarantee that OSU could have had just as "qualified" and "intelligent" a class if they had taken more OH residents, but several in-staters, including myself, sort of got the shaft (to reiterate: probably for (non-racial) diversity).
Yay for me!

Yay for me!

If you applied somewhat broadly, don't be worried. I didn't get into UC or OSU but I got into Pitt and WashU... I don't know your stats, EC's, etc., but just realize ahead of time that the process is f***ed up. Good applicants get passed up all the time for one small reason or another.

washme do you mind posting general stats? I applied here and WashU...I'd love to go to WashU....lol

washme do you mind posting general stats? I applied here and WashU...I'd love to go to WashU....lol

3.96 GPA / 3.95 BCPM / 39N / Caucasian / male / heavy on research.
I did my undergrad at a state school in Ohio.

Good luck!

Hey Everyone!

I'm going to be an M1 at UC (in 4 days!). I interviewed in November and was accepted 9 days after my interview. My essay went something like this...

In 2004 I worked here and did this.
In 2007 I worked here and did this.
This year I plan to work here and take such and such a class.

I wish they'd let us pick our username or login ID. I have absolutely no idea how they expect us to remember our 6+2 login ID. Why didn't they just use the same application website that MCW and half a dozen other medical schools use

Memorization of minutiae is good prep for med school. ;)

Watch putting people's real names in posts...

So i just received a mysterious phone call from UC. The only reason I know is that the number came up as the University of Cincinnati General Line (not even the medical school line) I Assume it is from the medical school because why would any other part of UC call me.

No Message was left. Has anyone else received a phone call? or Does anyone know what it could be about?

also no status change on web site

WOW I ALMOST LOST MY ACCEPTANCE FROM THE WAIT LIST.

Hope to see you all at UC next year.

I gotta find some one to drink beer with and fast.

WOW I ALMOST LOST MY ACCEPTANCE FROM THE WAIT LIST.

Hope to see you all at UC next year.

I gotta find some one to drink beer with and fast.
Put in a good word for me and I'll meet ya at The Hofbrauhaus in Newport. None of that Budweiser crap...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.